Awoo.

Xbox One Discussion

Remy

I want this game on Xbox One. At the $399.99 price, I might pick it up eventually.

I have my doubts about that. The majority of the 'bone's resource drains come from its ability to switch between shit quickly, or so I hear - Kinect or no, you'd essentially have to recode the way the whole OS works in order for the games to take advantage of it, and even then it would come at the OS's expense anyway.

I'm sure there's something to be said about the disrepancy between titles that need the Kinect turned off to function decently and the ones that work fine either way, too, but the right words don't come to me at the moment.

Why Microsoft continues to pretend the hardware difference can ever be overcome boggles my mind. It's not going to and every time they speak of it they invite comparisons that shed a bad light on their product.

They should instead focus on the different, unique features their side can offer, such as Kinect integr- oops.

• Thumbs Up 4

To be fair, the hardware's "all in One media center" marketing angle is actually a pretty strong one, given it needs a more competitive price and a bunch of other stuff for it to work (like, a TV that can watch TV so you can watch TV on your XBO, for example..)

I think 10% of.. something is reserved for the Kinect. They're looking into unlocking that for other things.

I think 10% of.. something is reserved for the Kinect. They're looking into unlocking that for other things.

It was lowered to 3% some time ago in a patch.

To be fair, the hardware's "all in One media center" marketing angle is actually a pretty strong one, given it needs a more competitive price and a bunch of other stuff for it to work (like, a TV that can watch TV so you can watch TV on your XBO, for example..)

Media center capabilities is almost all software/services tho. And as you mention, the Xbone hardware itself is lacking to perform those functions when it has to leech off an ancillary box.

Media center capabilities is almost all software/services tho. And as you mention, the Xbone hardware itself is lacking to perform those functions when it has to leech off an ancillary box.

Yeah I always thought that was a pretty big flaw of the whole concept of it, but it seems to be pretty marketable either way.

Most people I know who have an XBO have one because it's an "All-in-One" box, not bc they wanna play video games.

Why they need a $499 device to play TV, movies, music and games I do not know.

So if the console can get 10% stronger without Kinect, what will happen to the people who want Kinect? Will they have a 10% weaker console?

So if the console can get 10% stronger without Kinect, what will happen to the people who want Kinect? Will they have a 10% weaker console?

No. 

When a game features Kinect functionality, 10% of the GPU resources had to be dedicated to the Kinect. Later, this was made optional for developers. Voice commands were still required (2% of the 10%, with the rest being video) until two days ago. 

If you have a Kinect, it'll just be off. Won't make a difference.

The PS4 is 50 percent more powerful then the One right? So a 10 percent power increase would mean that the gap is now 40 percent.....well it's something I suppose. If I ever bought this thing it wouldn't be for the power anyway I have a PS4 for the best or equal versions of multiplats. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It doesn't work that way.

Those comparisons are purely done on a theoretical spec level. The 10% reserve number means the system wasn't even outputting enough power to have a 50% gap. It's hard to do real world comparisons without knowing how's the toolchain and what are the current reserves for each system.

Neither machine is going to be working at peak efficiency though.

• Thumbs Up 4

yeah but the cloud = infinite color power = ps4 is weaker than Xbone.

when is that cloud stuff going to be used anyways

yeah but the cloud = infinite color power = ps4 is weaker than Xbone.

when is that cloud stuff going to be used anyways

Have they mentioned it recently?

Have they mentioned it recently?

Not really, no. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it up again in E3, though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819382

Microsoft responds - "Why the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One"

• They are 40+ markets that Sony is in where we are in 13.
  • Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade.

That second reason is so weak lmao, really grasping.

Come on MS have some tact.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819382

That second reason is so weak lmao, really grasping.

Come on MS have some tact.

Saw this on GAF. Posted there -

Wow.

... Wow.

No joke, I literally thought to myself as I opened the thread: "oh wow, really? That's really nice of them to acknowledge. Seriously, good on them for being open and candid."

Nothing could have prepared me for what I just read.

What fucking arrogance. Unbelievable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lol, I actually wish that I got a PS3 instead of a 360. So many great games that I missed out on... :(

• Thumbs Up 1

Saw it on GAF too. Just when I thought MS are trying their best to change their image (and I was beginning to think that they were!) then they pull this.

"Xbox 360 owners enjoy their systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they are less inclined to upgrade."

This is so wrong on so many levels. PS3 is getting Persona 5, got R&C: Nexus, TLoU, GT6 and other solid titles last year while the 360 had...*chirpchirpchirp* In fact I'll not be surprised if PS3 continues to get good games this E3!

And you honestly think countries like Belgium, Sweden and Japan - who have been all PS3 (against 360) last gen anyway would switch to XONE for next gen?

EDIT: Should have been "Xbox 360 owners got tired of our systems more than PlayStation 3 owners do, so they should have been more inclined to upgrade."

..and they did. They got the PS4.

• Thumbs Up 5

Microsoft haven't acknowledged that they aren't the market leader since gen6 and even then they had trouble.

I can't wait to see what they finally say when they have to genuinely admit that they aren't the market leader. Anywhere. On any spin.

Lol, I actually wish that I got a PS3 instead of a 360. So many great games that I missed out on... sad.png

Yeah you really should've gotten a PS3. Sold my 360 to get one. Brilliant console with a crapton of exclusives! Not to mention you get at least 3 games from PS+ every month if you have a PS3 and PS4.