Awoo.

Xbox One Discussion

Remy

• 9 months later...

Quick question: should I stop being fearful of the Xbox One?

I see people warming up to it, and I see some things on it that legitimately interest me. Should I stop worrying, or should I keep away for a little longer?

Quick question: should I stop being fearful of the Xbox One?

I see people warming up to it, and I see some things on it that legitimately interest me. Should I stop worrying, or should I keep away for a little longer?

I've been soured on it from its initial announcement, and was still refusing to touch the thing even after those bullshit features went away, since I thought they had a chance of coming back. I'm a weird human being who likes his privacy, for one.

Is that gone now? I see people standing with Phil Spencer...

I personally feel the damage is done, but it seems Microsoft ARE making a conscious effort to make the Xbone a desirable product.

As far as privacy goes, Xbox One can be bought with no Kinect.

Microsoft had a ton of internal staff changes. Both Windows and Xbox did a 180 regarding which direction they were going. Microsoft has also been a lot more competitive compared to Sony. With constant price cuts and discounts, way better bundles, a permanent price cut to online access, and honestly.. better free games. Ever since Sony forced online with the PS4, not only has the price of PS+ dramatically gone up but the free games went to complete shit. I miss having access to Tomb Raider and Uncharted 3. Why do I constantly get these $5 "retro" indie games?

A company in a "losing" position tends to be more competitive. People call it desperate but it ends up being a win for consumers. For example, the PS4 barely had a good discount or bundle on Black Friday. Microsoft not only did a price cut, but they bundled like 50 games with it!

Once the Xbox One has a bigger library of games that interest me, then I might actually consider getting one. Right now I'm too preoccupied with games on last gen consoles to care about next gen. =P Then there's the Wii U...

I've been soured on it from its initial announcement, and was still refusing to touch the thing even after those bullshit features went away, since I thought they had a chance of coming back. I'm a weird human being who likes his privacy, for one.

Is that gone now? I see people standing with Phil Spencer...

The Xbox One is a good console and absolutely worth buying if you want to play new games but don't want a PS4. I still think the PS4 is a better value proposition on account of the stronger hardware and better Japanese support and having the best game ever made as an exclusive but if you like Microsoft's exclusives better than yeah it's the best choice.

I think both of them are very solid choices that'll consistently keep you satisfied throughout the gen, unlike the Wii U.

Microsoft had a ton of internal staff changes. Both Windows and Xbox did a 180 regarding which direction they were going. Microsoft has also been a lot more competitive compared to Sony. With constant price cuts and discounts, way better bundles, a permanent price cut to online access, and honestly.. better free games. Ever since Sony forced online with the PS4, not only has the price of PS+ dramatically gone up but the free games went to complete shit. I miss having access to Tomb Raider and Uncharted 3. Why do I constantly get these $5 "retro" indie games?

A company in a "losing" position tends to be more competitive. People call it desperate but it ends up being a win for consumers. For example, the PS4 barely had a good discount or bundle on Black Friday. Microsoft not only did a price cut, but they bundled like 50 games with it!

IMHO, the free game lineup for the Xbox One is worse than Playstation Plus. There were only a few good games since GWG launched on XO while the PS4 has generally had some good stuff come out of PS Plus. It's also because the system isn't old enough yet to be getting a steady stream of retail titles. It's already had Injustice and I'm sure that there will be more soon.

There's no doubt that MS are being competitive, in fact they are doing some really good offers that almost had me on board a few times (and they might even get me to buy an Xbox One yet). But when it comes to the GWG offerings on Xbox One, I find them to be really disappointing (with the exception of Rayman Legends of course). I'm sure, like the PS4, it will pick up though.

Regarding price cuts, Sony hasn't cut the price yet because they aren't in a position where they need to yet. Even with Microsoft's crazy Christmas bundles and deals, the gap between the PS4 and Xbox One is still large. I think that they definitely need to do a price drop by this fall, along with some really good Black Friday bundles, but they don't really have anything to worry about until sales start dropping or the competition starts rising.

It's a manner of what exclusives you prefer and go from there. When the X1 dropped in price (along with a little deal Best Buy had one day), I bought it because of Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 (It's a weird one where the current-gen version and last-gen version are actually different and none held the other back) and the PS4 didn't have any exclusives worth buying at that time for me. Now with Bloodborne and Rachet & Clank, I want a PS4. If you have a gaming PC or interested in one, it doesn't really matter which console you get for multiplats because, lets be honest, you'd be more willing to buy the PC version if your PC is up to snuff or upgrading it soon.

The best setup for me is all 3 consoles to play all the exclusives for each + my PC for multiplatforms. If you're low on money and don't care about resolution, the X1 is the way to go. If you like Nintendo games, always at least have a PS4 or X1 and a Wii U. Sami's right that you won't be very satisfied with the Wii U if that's your only console (or Gaming PC) or you just don't care about the games Nintendo has to offer, but I don't agree that you won't be satisfied with it no matter what, you just need at least 2 platforms.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think both of them are very solid choices that'll consistently keep you satisfied throughout the gen, unlike the Wii U.

In your opinion. =T

I think the Wii U is perfect for families and especially for anyone who likes any of Nintendo's franchises. At this very moment the Wii U has tons of great first party games with many more coming out this year and the next like Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World. We will get more announcements come E3.

So while the Wii U is lacking in the hardware and third party department, it's certainly not when it comes to great exclusive games!

I think the Wii U is perfect for families and especially for anyone who likes any of Nintendo's franchises. At this very moment the Wii U has tons of great first party games with many more coming out this year and the next like Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World. We will get more announcements come E3.

So while the Wii U is lacking in the hardware and third party department, it's certainly not when it comes to great exclusive games!

In your opinion. =T

yeah, duh.

I even prefaced with "I think", what more do you want from me? Jesus.

It's a manner of what exclusives you prefer and go from there. When the X1 dropped in price (along with a little deal Best Buy had one day), I bought it because of Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2 (It's a weird one where the current-gen version and last-gen version are actually different and none held the other back) and the PS4 didn't have any exclusives worth buying at that time for me. Now with Bloodborne and Rachet & Clank, I want a PS4. If you have a gaming PC or interested in one, it doesn't really matter which console you get for multiplats because, lets be honest, you'd be more willing to buy the PC version if your PC is up to snuff or upgrading it soon.

The best setup for me is all 3 consoles to play all the exclusives for each + my PC for multiplatforms. If you're low on money and don't care about resolution, the X1 is the way to go. If you like Nintendo games, always at least have a PS4 or X1 and a Wii U. Sami's right that you won't be very satisfied with the Wii U if that's your only console (or Gaming PC) or you just don't care about the games Nintendo has to offer, but I don't agree that you won't be satisfied with it no matter what, you just need at least 2 platforms.

I was writing on the assumption that he's choosing one. I don't disagree with anything you wrote here except that X1 is the best choice if you're low on cash. The price difference isn't big enough for it to matter imo. It's really just down to exclusives if you don't care about resolution.

I went PS4 and Wii U and honestly I am chuffed (yes I am using this phrase, I'm British get used to it) to bits with them as a pair. Wii U is perfect for first party and local co op games I can play when my friends are over, and the PS4 for third party and some Sony first party titles. I'm even heavily considering building a PC too. I'm not sure I will buy an Xbox One though as my sister and her fiancé have one, and they live fifteen minutes away if that. So technically I do have access to all three consoles (though I haven't tried the Xbox One just yet).

Honestly the best courses of action would be: If you are mainly just interested in multiplats but don't want to (or for some reason can't) go PC, the PS4 would definitely be a better option due to better performing multiplats. However, if you are into things like Halo and Forza, then the Xbox One obviously. It's really down to what you want out of it, the price difference isn't big enough to buy an X1 solely on it being cheaper unless there is a game bundled.

-barges in and sits down-

As an XONE owner (one of the few here for that matter) I can just say... It's a quality console and to me there is no other defining fact that makes one system better than the other, it all depends on what games you like. Both XO and PS4 have their own set of exclusives, for me Microsoft has a more favourable set to me than Sony's line up and even then ask anyone on the forums how long I couldn't make a decision between the two before finally settling on my choice for XO, I can give you my likes, dislikes and opinions if you want though?

• The controller is lush, it's so easy to hold and it feels well built compared to the 360 controller, nice firm triggers and buttons, and the analogues have thumb grips built in so you won't find your fingers slipping off them when your hands get clammy from heat.
  • Sunset Overdrive Exclusive - Is fucking amazing, think Jet Set Radio Future with weapons, mutants and a bonkers story with amazing voice acting and jabs at pop culture, it's honestly so satisfying to play, also full customizeable character.
  • Rise of Tomb Raider - Coming out this year is SE's critically acclaimed sequel to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot, there's confusion on whether it's going to be timed exclusive or not but I'm treating it as an exclusive because I think Microsoft are going to buy it as their competitor to Sony's Uncharted series, so there's that to look forward to.
  •  Scalebound - P*'s new game is XONE Exclusive, there's that to look forward to.
  • Halo 5 - Speaks for itself really
  • Quantum Break - Even if it's been delayed it's still an interesting exclusive I hope pulls through for the console.
  • Microsoft still own RARE - I'm banking on some BK stuff in the future (I'd be lying if I said this wasn't another reason why I chose it over PS4)
  • Every other game worth getting is multiplatform so it's really just the exclusives you should be weighing up. Mirror's Edge 2, Batman, Mad Max, FFXV, Kingdom Hearts 3, Rainbow Six Siege, The Divison etc. are all Multiplatform.

Suff I fucking hate about next gen

• Preloading discs to the system - Fucking hate this, even if your games are disc based the consoles need to download the game to your HDD to play them, granted they have a system where you can play it AS they download to your system but seriously, some games are over 30GB in size and it quickly fills up your HDD.
  • console updates - Will have your LIFE if you don't at least use your console once a week, if you leave it and come back to it, expect crippling load times before you can do ANYTHING.
  • Being connected to the internet for everything - Yes including achievement progress
  • XONES interface - is so unnecessarily convoluted and it's fucking awful Windows 8/10 slide show set up is so annoyingly confusing to use that you'll be fumbling around for the first month or two trying to navigate stuff seamlessly, there's all this unnecessary kibble like snap on dashboards and game clip uploaders and stuff, it's easy to say that PS4 has the user friendly interface this round.
  • Batteries/power in controller don't last very long, so I suggest you just use a cabled controller.
  • XONE's console is ludicrously large and heavy compared to PS4's small slim and light frame.

But it's mainly just exclusive selection, i don't care much for either, Sunset and Tomb Raider sealed the deal for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

IMHO, the free game lineup for the Xbox One is worse than Playstation Plus. There were only a few good games since GWG launched on XO while the PS4 has generally had some good stuff come out of PS Plus.

Last month we got Rayman Legends. This month we got Child of Light. Don't know how you can complain bro.

Last month we got Rayman Legends. This month we got Child of Light. Don't know how you can complain bro.

Aside from those two nothing else has been particularly good in my opinion. On the PS Plus side though, last month we got Oddworld New'n Tasty and Valiant Hearts, January we got Infamous, December we got Injustice, and I'm sure there are many other good free games before I bought the system. It could just be a matter of preference but so far, there hasn't been that hasn't enticing games on GWG, which is a shame because the 360 is still kicking it in terms of free games (which you actually get to keep unlike XB1 and PS3/4). Don't get me wrong, there is certainly room for improvement with PS Plus, but I think there's even more room for improvement for GWG.

I don't think it's bad either, but like IGC, there is room for improvement. Though given that the systems are still realitively young, its understandable.

I didn't know Xbox One GWG goes the IGC route and fucks you over if your XBLG expires though.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt bundles in EMEA regions.

Finally, there’s some great news for those who have haven’t picked up an Xbox One and are looking for another great option to jump into The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt’s action: we recently announced two new exclusive Xbox One bundles which will launch in select EMEA markets* timed to the game’s release on May 19. On top of delivering the only place to play the best exclusives and all the biggest blockbusters together with live TV and your favorite entertainment apps, the Xbox One The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Bundle and Xbox One The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Bundle with Kinect both include a digital download code for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and more. Fans in EMEA markets should check with their local retailers for more details on availability.

We look forward to cracking more cases – and monster skulls – when The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt begins possessing Xbox One players on May 19.

* The Xbox One “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” Bundle will be available in AT, BE, CZ, DK, ES, FR, DE, GR, HU, IE, IE, IL, IT, NL, NO, PL, PT, RU, SA, SK, TU, ZA, UK, UAE.  The Xbox One “The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt” Bundle with Kinect will be available in CZ, GR, HU, PL, RU, SK, SA, ZA, TU, UAE.

A'ight, so, two of you lucky motherfuckers can get a SMITE Early Access code for Xbox One because I don't have an Xbone and Hi-Rez just emailed me two. If you didn't know. SMITE is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena or MOBA. I assume most of you know the drill, expanded tower defense/action RTS type game. Three lanes, take the enemies towers, win. However, SMITE has a slew of other modes which will be rotated into the game. The mode that is constantly there is Arena (a TDM styled game) and the other modes get rotated out. Now, you're probably thinking "I don't like how League of Legends and DotA looks." Well, lucky for you, SMITE is a third-action, more action-oriented MOBA, putting you right over the shoulder of your chosen God.

They also have a FAQ for SMITE Xbox, here.

Now in order to get these codes? First two people to PM me. Go.

• 2 weeks later...