Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I'd rather have more Nintendo franchises repped instead of getting another third-party character.

Especially a third party character who has absolutely no relevance to Nintendo's history anyway (looking at you Snake).

Especially a third party character who has absolutely no relevance to Nintendo's history anyway (looking at you Snake).

Wasn't the first Metal Gear game on NES?

I have to ask why are so many people against more third party characters exactly? Its not like it would be a bad thing if someones favorite character got in that isn't nintendo related and since the roster is already pre dominantly nintendo, whats wrong with a bit more variety?

It's mostly the worry that in a game that is by very definition a "Nintendo fighting game celebrating Nintendo history", having more than 2 third party characters, especially ones with minimal relevance to Nintendo gaming, could kinda dilute that.

I doubt people will mind 3 third party reps, but 4-5+ would be really pushing it. Thankfully I don't think most people will have to worry about it going that far.

I have to ask why are so many people against more third party characters exactly? Its not like it would be a bad thing if someones favorite character got in that isn't nintendo related and since the roster is already pre dominantly nintendo, whats wrong with a bit more variety?

The main issue is people don't want them dominating the roster. It makes sense when its a very iconic character closely aligned with Nintendo, they're practically Nintendo characters already at that rate. But if they get in the way of other iconic Nintendo characters making the game, that's where we start running into problems, and this is a NINTENDO fighting game, not NINTENDO and every other famous franchise under the sun.

It's mostly the worry that in a game that is by very definition a "Nintendo fighting game celebrating Nintendo history", having more than 2 third party characters, especially ones with minimal relevance to Nintendo gaming, could kinda dilute that.

I doubt people will mind 3 third party reps, but 4-5+ would be really pushing it. Thankfully I don't think most people will have to worry about it going that far.

Yeah, but the current roster alone (going off of brawl) represents the nintendo history thing well already so whats 5 or so unrelated characters going to do to harm it? 

Yeah, but the current roster alone (going off of brawl) represents the nintendo history thing well already so whats 5 or so unrelated characters going to do to harm it? 

Most likely it'd make people expect more and more every time and people would begin to become increasingly disappointed and self-entitled about things they were never entitled to in the first place.

Which is the Smash Bros. fandom in a nutshell to begin with but still.

Also if you wanna get technical it'd mean Nintendo would have to pay more royalties to other companies and have less of the game's income for themselves as they normally would so there's that.

The main issue is people don't want them dominating the roster. It makes sense when its a very iconic character closely aligned with Nintendo, they're practically Nintendo characters already at that rate. But if they get in the way of other iconic Nintendo characters making the game, that's where we start running into problems, and this is a NINTENDO fighting game, not NINTENDO and every other famous franchise under the sun.

But we have absolutely nothing indicating that this would happen though, brawl was the only game to really do it and all it had were sonic and snake so I don't think that we'd get a crazy amount when its never been shown that this would happen. If anything just at least 5 or 4 wouldn't hurt the roster much out of the 30 or so that are already there and if they are added its most likely not in place of another nintendo character.

Most likely it'd make people expect more and more every time and people would begin to become increasingly disappointed and self-entitled about things they were never entitled to in the first place.

Which is the Smash Bros. fandom in a nutshell to begin with but still.

Also if you wanna get technical it'd mean Nintendo would have to pay more royalties to other companies and have less of the game's income for themselves as they normally would so there's that.

Good point

I think as far as third party characters go, Sonic and Mega Man are all we really need. I can't imagine better choices than these two, anyone else would probably be overkill.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only character left that I can see being a third party rep is a Namco rep. Seeing as we have the game being made by them, so naturally they already will be payed for the game. That and Pac Man. We'd have, as most people have pointed out, most of the big name Video game reps of old.

I think as far as third party characters go, Sonic and Mega Man are all we really need. I can't imagine better choices than these two, anyone else would probably be overkill.

I'm in agreement. Sonic and Mega Man work out just fine.

He's a better fit than Snake for sure, but Konami would choose Snake over Belmont as their rep every time they were involved.

Unfortunately I think Belmont's chances of ever being in a Smash Bros. game are genuinely 0.

Why would they choose Snake automatically?

Same reason they chose him for Brawl probably, plus he's their most well known character as well as the poster child for the only IP they give a fuck about/that makes them any money anymore.

He'd make them more money being in Smash than Belmont too.

If Belmont got to the top of the "most requested character" list like Sonic and Mega Man did it'd probably be possible though, but I don't think he can get that high considering most modern gamers probably don't know who he is.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because Konami hate Simon Belmont now. XP

He's not really relevant anymore sadly. They care more about Snake since he's from a now much more popular franchise. A shame too because I do think Simon Belmont is a far more suitable choice for Smash Bros than Snake ever was, what with starting a successful series of games on NES and SNES before jumping to other consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Simon was in Mirror of Fate. Though, I wouldn't want that version.

That said, I'm fine with Snake, too. I think he fits fine and he was fun to play. Plus, Snake is cool and had some funny Codec calls.

• Thumbs Up 6

Same reason they chose him for Brawl probably, plus he's their most well known character as well as the poster child for the only IP they give a fuck about/that makes them any money anymore.

He'd make them more money being in Smash than Belmont too.

If Belmont got to the top of the "most requested character" list like Sonic and Mega Man did it'd probably be possible though, but I don't think he can get that high considering most modern gamers probably don't know who he is.

Same reason? The reason was Kojima requesting Sakurai to let Snake be in the game wasn't it? Sakurai accepting the request because he and Kojima  were good friends...and both Konami and Nintendo were overall okay with the idea?

Same reason? The reason was Kojima requesting Sakurai to let Snake be in the game wasn't it? Sakurai accepting the request because he and Kojima  were good friends...and both Konami and Nintendo were overall okay with the idea?

Yes, if Nintendo were willing to re-open a relationship with Konami there's no reason to believe they wouldn't use similar channels. Plus the other things I mentioned, general popularity, demand, iconicness, and such.

For Smash Bros. 5, I'm going to go ahead and bet that Snake is one of the most requested characters just because he (presumably) missed out on SSB4, just like how Mewtwo and Roy's perceived popularity suddenly multiplied/appeared because they missed out on Brawl. Unfortunately there's no real reason for Konami to choose Belmont over Snake, using Snake is undeniably more beneficial to both parties as a business and is undeniably more iconic and wellknown to fans/demand.

Compared to those factors, "importance in Nintendo history" is seemingly negligible, if that wasn't proven by the fact that Smash Bros'. first third party character ever (and the one that caused the biggest industry shock) was one that had little to do with Nintendo history.

Yes Kojima and Sakurai may be friends, but make no mistake, fighting game characters are very expensive to make and character licences are expensive to go through. There were fully fledged finance deals between Nintendo and Konami on this, of course. Konami made the conscious decision to allow this and go through with it for very specific reasons, they would likely make that decision again.

I feel as though I was the catalyst of this somehow.

Yeah, if I was gonna think for any Konami Character to made it in Smash, it would've been a Castlevania rep like Simon, I never would've even considered Snake.

Sure their were SOME Metal gear Games on Nintendo platformers, but not early as enough as Castlevania titles, but yeah, Konami hates Castlevania now.

Simon Belmont wins by a landslide over Snake simply for the amazizizizn Castlevania remixes that would come of it

• Thumbs Up 2

For reference what other games has konami made?