Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Fuck Little Mac, don't any of you care that the trailer showed that the best character EVER is back?

SandbagSSBB.jpg

Hell yeah.

seriously little mac is cool

• Thumbs Up 5

Little Mac was announced and the thing people are talking about is that Sonic is still in the game?

I only brought it up because I remember some people were "worried" about him being removed for...some reason? It was pretty silly..

I really doubt they'll allow Mac to one-hit KO people anytime, there's an obvious drawback.

I get the impression it's a very obvious attack, so it'll probably be easy to avoid/stop. Someone using him will probably need to be very clever about using it...although I can see him being banned anyway. :P

assist10_071018a.jpgmain.png

He's come a long way, huh xP  Looking pretty cool.

Look at those leg muscles! Boom Knuckles could seriously take some lessons from Mac here.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, you can hear it in an NES medley that played in the Mario Bros. stage.

OH YEA! because i was like humming to the music and I was like, wtf I kno this music lol

Cool cool watching the trailer again. this guy is just everywhere, he looks like he is faster than captain Falcon and close to sonic. His moves are fast.

Sonic still has that grin, but it's literally just upside down.tongue.png Could someone flip it just to anger everyone? lol

Also, YES YES A MILLION TIMES YES LITTLE MAC IS IN AND LOOKS AMAZING! Any bets on when Mii will be shown off?

Haha! You're totally right :P

Here you go sir:

lilmacupside_zpsd6f2da62.png

• Thumbs Up 6

I would have commented on here sooner, but I just HAD to watch the trailer a few more times. Then i went to the store and bought me a few chocolate bars!

But yes! Yes yes YES! That was an amazing trailer and I am freaking hyped to see Lil' Mac officially confirmed in Smash! I've grew up on Punch-Out!! since the arcade games. (lol Vodka Drunkenski) And man, this was a long time coming! They really nailed Lil' Mac to a T here. And all the moves he doesn't actually have from Punch-Out!! really meshes well with him. He looks exactly like I hope he would play: fast, aggressive and combo-friendly. PLUS GIGA MAC FINAL SMASH!!! YEAH!

I'm also glad to see that his Star Punch is in the game. Though as a one-hit KO, there must be some draw back to balance everything out. Maybe Lil' Mac's very frail and easy to K.O. if he doesn't stick and move? (Boxer talk for "evade and attack".) Would make sense to his character. I don't know, but I'm totally look forward to trying him out.

Also, hearing Doc Louis was talking during the trailer was awesome. I would be completely fine if Doc Louis narrated when Lil' Mac is in play, but I'm not sure if that will happen. And if it doesn't, I hope Lil' Mac at least has a stage taunt at the World Circuit where Doc will talk to him about his opponents; occasionally dropping a "Join Club Nintendo today, Mac!" here or a chocolate joke there. That would be great!

I am hyped and I definitely have another main! *Eats chocolate bar*

"Join Club Nintendo Today, SSMB!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Me too, Sonic, Kirby and peach has good air times and are good at getting back into the stage and seeing Little mac barely making the edge grab, I dont think I can Main him, especially the way I play. but he seems average tho. We'll see. Still excited tho.

Everyone's talking about how the Star Punch could be OP so I took a look at the reveal trailer again... at around 1:45 or so you can see him charging it up to fill the meter, but it takes like a whole 3-4 seconds to get OHKO capability... so it looks like the Star Punch could very well be the new Flare Blade. That being said it looks like he can move around after charging it... not that I've played a Punch Out! game before, but don't you lose meter in those games if you get hit? That might be the balancing factor to it if a simple jab can ruin the OHKO.

I also noticed that he started charging it immediately after the charging straight jab he did at 1:25... so that lends a pretty scary implication that he might actually be able to use the Star Punch charging to lag cancel.

I'm guessing that's gonna be Mac's big drawback. He's gonna be a big ground player, but is gonna be a no show when it comes to being in the air. I guess if you get him in a juggle, he's not going to be able to do much for himself.

assist10_071018a.jpgmain.png

He's come a long way, huh xP  Looking pretty cool.

While the Brawl design is based on the classic NES appereance, this new design seems to be based more on the Punch-Out Wii game, a decision i approve greatly.

• Thumbs Up 5

While the Brawl design is based on the classic NES appereance, this new design seems to be based more on the Punch-Out Wii game, a decision i approve greatly.

Indeed.  I too am glad they based his Smash design on that one.  It's still faithful enough to his classic design but nicely stylised.

Little_Mac.jpg main.png

• Thumbs Up 4

Everyone's talking about how the Star Punch could be OP so I took a look at the reveal trailer again... at around 1:45 or so you can see him charging it up to fill the meter, but it takes like a whole 3-4 seconds to get OHKO capability... so it looks like the Star Punch could very well be the new Flare Blade. That being said it looks like he can move around after charging it... not that I've played a Punch Out! game before, but don't you lose meter in those games if you get hit? That might be the balancing factor to it if a simple jab can ruin the OHKO.

I also noticed that he started charging it immediately after the charging straight jab he did at 1:25... so that lends a pretty scary implication that he might actually be able to use the Star Punch charging to lag cancel.

It's hard to tell from the video exactly how it works. I'm looking at it frame by frame and here's what I'm seeing:

He gets the first notch filled the first time Bowser hits him.

He gets nothing the second time Bowser hits him.

He gets the second notch when he hits Bowser with that straight.

At this point it zooms in on his percent counter, so we can't see what the characters are doing, but; he takes damage twice with no change, then gets the third notch when he takes damage again.

He doesn't take any damage from then on, but the meter fills to the top.

When the camera zooms out, Bowser is at 231% (up from 50-something after we saw Mac hit him last).

Then there's a cut between this and the uppercut.

So my guess would be that taking damage adds a little to the meter, but landing hits is more efficient.

I've never been a big fan of Punch-Out or Little Mac, but even I have to admit his reveal trailer was fucking HYPE. Mac's adorable, unique as hell, and Doc Louis' commentary is amazing, I really hope we'll be getting commentary from him ingame to some extent.

Seriously he looks like he's going to be a fantastic combo character, and his moveset looks so different and unique from most things in Smash that I can't wait to try him, air game or not, he looks like he's going to be wonderful for fast-paced and maybe even competitive players to use. The way he dodges projectiles and lands a punch.. whoa.

Also I'd like to say I am genuinely 100% surprised that we didn't see Diddy today. Holy shit. Sakurai officially knows how to prevent us ever guessing something correctly.

But, onto what I feel to be the more important news.

I'm really pretty worried about Sakurai's arms, because it's clear that despite his previous comments about it he is not taking care of himself and is, as usual, pouring every ounce of being into his work. There's a point where it's past admirable to downright concerning, and this is probably it.

What's worst about this to me, is that Japanese workforce is infamous for overworking themselves to the point of severe sickness, either by being forced or through some kind of personal pride. I really hope that soon, or after Smash, or whenever, Nintendo make the man have the rest and health improvement he needs and deserves. If Nintendo themselves are the reason that Sakurai is forcing himself to work so hard without properly resting his arms, I'll be livid, but depressingly not surprised.

Godspeed Sakurai.

Little Mac confirmed for sexiest Smash character (sorry, Snake).

The amount of fake lists that have included him meant I kinda expected him in at this point but I'm glad we got this over anything Donkey Kong related today.

They really have picked some quite 'out there' choices for the new comers really haven't they? I'm quite excited to see what unlockable hidden characters they've got up their sleeves!

this is the first time i've ever been attracted to a videogame character what is this feeling oh god

When you think about it; does Little Mac's One Kit K.O move sound like it would be useful in a 1v1 match? Sakurai said that Mac has to unleash the move automatically so dodging something that has a clear on screen indicator, looks like it would be easy against an opponent that seems to have some pretty bad air time.

Ok, I cant belive how everyone missed this here, but 30 years ago this month, the original arcade release of Punchout came out

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, I cant belive how everyone missed this here, but 30 years ago this month, the original arcade release of Punchout came out

Oh hell, well, now THAT makes sense. Everyone kept on speculating DK characters because of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze released this month.

Deep trailer analysis mode ACTIVATE.  

This post is going to be pretty hefty, bare with me now though as I'll try my best to extract as much information as possible.  I'll use this version of the trailer for reference just to make sure the times I state are exact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46TP7GR-2_M

So obviously we have the cool comic style intro (a first for Smash as opposed to the CGI trailers we got for all the other characters, a refreshing twist if I might add) we dive into the actual gameplay at 1:11 and straight off the bat we Mac running towards the boxing ring, now newly adjusted so that all the Smash logos have been replaced with Punch Out ones (assuming they were replaced before to hide spoilers).  From this run we can note two things.  One is that he is a very fast character on the ground, probably with running speed close to the likes of Sheik or ZSS and two is that his centre of gravity is very low (which becomes even more apparent a little later on).

Mac then jumps up and at 1:13 pulls off what looks to be his Side B near the ropes (not quite off them though), a leaping over head smash punch.  Due to the distance traveled by the move, the fact that it is shown later on to be usable from the ground and the fact that it moves a pretty large distance horizontally it seems safe to assume this is his Side B.

At 1:17 he dodges King Dedede's dash attack and throws out a couple of jabs.  He then chases him down, rolls behind him and throws out the jabs again but this time following up with a super fast flurry of blows, which is shown to also be used on DK and Fox.  Against Fox he ends the flurry with a quick uppercut.  Interestingly this is the first jab combo in Smash structured like this.  Assuming this is an infinite looping jab, this is the first infinite jab that actually has a separate ending attack (all the others just terminate).  This could actually potentially make Mac's jab string one of the most powerful and effective in the game.  Heck even if it wasn't an infinite loop it's still unique simply because of how many hits it deals.

1:21 we see Mac dealing some body blows against Marth, which we can safely assume to be his grab pummel.  Speaking of which, I'd be curious to see what kind of throws Mac would have.  Would they be quick combo starters, or stronger finishing throws?

1:22 we get another look at the Side B (as mentioned before this time off the ground and it looks like it also travels further).  The most interesting thing about this however is the start-up invincibility.  Mac just bypasses Megaman's charged Buster shot with ease.  Another thing I find curious is that despite the fact that this is an overhead swing it doesn't seem to meteor Megaman, instead hitting him away (if it meteored he would have probably bounced off the ground).  Main thing I can see this being used for is to help with his approach against projectile users.  Mac being a solely CQC boxer with no sort of projectiles would struggle normally to get in where he's most effective without the right tools.

1:23 is the first demonstration of Mac's armour at work.  Mac throws out what looks to be a UTilt/USmash that soaks up Samus' FAir hit on startup.  I'm personally leaning more towards UTilt as the animation doesn't really have the strength of a Smash and overall is pretty fast.  If it is UTilt the armour on it is likely to be quite low (one hit of Samus' FAir doesn't deal much damage or knockback so Mac could soak it up without much of an issue).  Armour hasn't really been utilised much in the Smash series, and it's pretty interesting that a fast offensive character like Little Mac would receive this much armour first over, say, a tank like Bowser who has barely any in Melee and Brawl. 

1:24 shows another attack with armour at the start, this time likely to be FSmash/FTilt.  Leaning more towards FSmash here because it soaks up a much stronger attack (Bowser's FTilt which hits quite hard) so I'm guessing it has full on super armour.  Furthermore there was just more punch (pun fully intended) to the animation in general.

1:25 shows him charging up and throwing out a powerful lunging straight which, again, has armour during the charge as Mac just soaks up the explosion from Villager's attack then proceeds to rush forward.  I believe this to be the Neutral B with one of two possibilities.  The first being that Neutral B is this straight when he doesn't have full Power Metre, and the uppercut when it is full.  The second being that both are available at all times and can be toggled through button input during the rush forward (i.e. if you hold up you get the uppercut else you get the straight).  It's tricky to tell, but I do strongly feel this is associated with the Neutral B as there's no other move it would really fit to.

Next at 1:30 we get a look at Mac's counter.  Seems like a fairly standard Down B counter.  It lasts for quite a while though and I'm curious as to how much damage and knockback it deals.  Will it be like the FE Lord counters where it uses a multiplier or will it have set damage and knockback like Marth's Melee counter?

At 1:31 we're drawn to just how low to the ground Mac's run is as he is able to run under Mario's Fireballs, following up with a quick dash attack.  Another overhead attack that doesn't actually hit the opponent downwards.

1:33 shows yet another attack with armour.  This time what looks to be USmash/UTilt (the one that the first one isn't so most likely USmash this time).  Interestingly, he goes very far forward considering it's an uppercut.  He then follows this up with his spiraling Up B uppercut, which spirals up with his left arm then finishes with a right punch.  For a pure vertical Up B it doesn't actually gain all that much height.

1:36 shows Mac doing what looks to be a FAir, though quite interestingly it goes in a sort of upward arc.  Barring Dedede's not many FAir attacks do that.  The move seems to have a fair bit of recovery and not particularly amazing range (though a pretty good arc).  We then see him attempting to recover back onstage but failing due to a fairly short jump, pretty fast fall speed and poor Up B recovery (which again travels directly up so on can assume the path it travels is linear).

1:42 we then get a brief look at Mac's FS Big Giga Mac, which was a special transformation in Punch Out Wii a player could achieve in multiplayer if they had the advantage.  What kind of power-up it will entail for him is unknown.  A strength buff seems the most obvious but what else could he get?  Constant armour/invincibility?

The final section at 1:44 is arguably the most interesting and there's a lot of small details to catch.  First of all, we get a clean look at the HUD for the first time.  It's similar to Brawl but sharper, cleaner and with slicker fonts.  We can see Mac's power bar above his HUD which is empty at the moment.  Mac charges up his Neutral B straight again as Bowser deals a couple of jabs (new punch combo which we haven't seen before as opposed to the double claw swipes from Melee and Brawl) and Mac soaks it up as usual and retaliates with the straight (which deals 13%) as the camera quickly zooms in on Mac's HUD.  Two sections of it have been filled.  One was filled whilst he was charging his attack, another was filled when he dealt it.  We then see a sequence of the following as the game is likely time sped for sake of emphasis:

iz2Fptr.jpg

Now as we see, the bar was filled all the way but he had only taken 4 hits and 18% in total, meaning unlike, say, Lucario Mac's Power Metre doesn't fill from just damage.  However at 1:48 the camera zooms out briefly to show Bowser at a massive 231%, most likely meaning Mac had dealt a lot of damage to him (Megaman was also there dealing damage too of course, but let's assume for the sake of discussion the majority of damage came from Mac).  From this we can assume that this bar fills fastest when Mac is on the offensive and dishing out damage.  However, going back a bit the bar did fill up one portion when he took damage whilst charging his Neutral B,a move where he has armour (as well as when he went from 19 to 26%) this could lead to another possible theory that he charges his Power Metre when he takes damage whilst in armour (or possibly even just whilst charging Neutral B) in addition to when he deals damage.  We can't tell for sure at the moment, but I feel if not during the next coming days that slightly later in the future Sakurai will shed a little more light on the mechanics.

After all that the bar fills and Mac deals the brutal KO uppercut and shows off with what looks like a taunt at the end.

• Thumbs Up 7

why do I have a feeling Little Mac is going to be silent for the most part and all audio for the character is going to be Doc?

why do I have a feeling Little Mac is going to be silent for the most part and all audio for the character is going to be Doc?

That's a good thing. 

• Thumbs Up 4

That's a good thing. 

Never said it wasn't. I actually prefer that for "Silent" characters. He better say the stupid stuff he did in the newer Punch Out. What's your favorite kind of Flower? Mine's Chocolate!

• Thumbs Up 1