Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Has it really been 15 years as of 2014? Damn, I feel old.

Still hard to believe that Melee came out over a decade ago. 

Smash has always had below-average balancing, so it would be nice to have an actual better balanced Smash for once. 

And yeah, no more Meta Knights. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what they will do to make him not overpowered. He might become my new main since I love quick powerhouses (like ganondorf in melee).

Judging by the article, I'm guessing they're going for a character that's decently fast and pretty strong, but is easy to punish if his attacks miss or are blocked. He'd be able to hold his own against faster characters while still feeling like he has weight, if that makes any sense.

Basically, he would hit fast, hit hard, but his attacks leave him open. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Exactly.

But Ridley is still too big.

I don't think it has something about being to big, I think it's the way he is shaped. If they make him smaller it'd still look weird, but hey, they can remodel him or something, and make his final smash his original  monster looking self, that's my idea I guess.

But too big is no excuse. 

EDIT: Oh boy I can't wait to try out Bowser! He was one of my mains! 

The difference between Ridley and Olimar is that the Pikmin games take place from Olimar's perspective, and from Olimar's perspective he's regular-sized. Whereas Metroid takes place from Samus's perspective, and compared to Samus Ridley is still a giant motherfucking space dragon. Whether or not you agree with that argument is up to you but to constantly just go "2BIGLOL" and go on about how "Smash doesn't care about canon sizes" is a complete strawman. It simplifies the argument to the point of no longer adding anything valuable to the discussion.

NES Ridley also looks pretty fucking stupid, but y'know. Console limitations and all that

It's mostly down to whether or not a small Ridley would still feel like "Ridley" to you, which is of course completely subjective. It's probably doable if they mess around with his proportions a bit, and it's not like there's any strict limit to how big a character can be anyway.

Metroid-Zero-Mission-Ridleys-Lair.gif

You know, even in this updated shot, he looks like he could be manageable. But that may be because his wings are so tiny in this shot. 

But what about in the intro of Melee where samus was battling Ridley they were around the same hight? I still thing the hight argument is BS though like for example Sonic's hight is 3FT and Mario is 5ft but when we see the 2 together in smash and Olympics sonic is a bit taller than mario

I really think Sakurai can get Ridley down to a certain size to where he fits. Ridley has never really been seen at the same size every Metroid game. 

At this point I don't even say "Ridley's too big" out of seriousness it's just too funny a running fandom joke for me to ever stop saying.

Even if Ridley is confirmed for Smash Bros someday he'll still be too big for Smash Bros in my heart, and I know many of you will agree with me.

• Thumbs Up 3

But what about in the intro of Melee where samus was battling Ridley they were around the same hight? I still thing the hight argument is BS though like for example Sonic's hight is 3FT and Mario is 5ft but when we see the 2 together in smash and Olympics sonic is a bit taller than mario

It's nothing to do with "canon heights," though. It's all down to how you percieve the characters. Olimar canonically is fucking tiny, but because the Pikmin games are all seen from Olimar's perspective you don't perceive him as such. He could be the size of a skyscraper and the planet he's on is just that much bigger than him, for all it would matter. Likewise Kirby is like two inches or something, but because that would be stupid they scale him up to a comfortable size. So the debate is down to whether or not they could scale Ridley so that he fits in with the rest of the cast while still feeling like "Ridley," which is really completely subjective

It'll be finished by December 31st 2014 joking aside I just want him to take his time and not rush

So Sakurai mentioning Falcon Punch in describing FFA and 1v1 balancing for Smash 4 more or less confirms Falcon will be coming back, I suppose.

A bunch of Japanese developers have been releasing New Year's resolutions, and Sakurai was one of them:

Masahiro Sakurai – Sora

Key phrase: Completion

Resolution: I resolve to complete development on Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U and release it in 2014.P

Already posted lol

At the very least patches will allow Sakurai to iron out any balancing problems post-release

Oops lol.  Missed the last bits of discussion.

Though with regards to the Ridley talk, I agree that the original Metroid is an outlier and due to limitations as opposed to an example to follow by.  Unlike say Bowser, whose size (or at least size comparative to Mario) constantly fluctuates across each game, Ridley has remained largely consistent.  The main thing to note I feel however is not the size of Ridley, but his proportions.

Compare Ridley to Charizard for example.  Ridley is essentially a larger Charizard with a much slimmer build, larger wings, a much longer tail and much longer limbs.  The thing about this however, is that Charizard in Brawl was already a character with very impressive reach, particularly with attacks that involved his neck and tail.  Ridley would essentially be a more extreme version of this, which in itself is already an extreme.  

I would love it if Sakurai and his team could prove me wrong though.  They've already proven me wrong with how they creatively they executed Rosalina's moveset and if they could work some magic with Ridley then that would make A LOT of people very happy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ridley's status as a boss battle in Brawl makes me wonder if they'd really consider having him playable in the first place. He's probably the most wanted character in the West, but then he had that going for him in definitely the most wanted newcomer in the West right now, but then he had that going for him in Brawl as well, save for Sonic (and Geno for whatever fucking reason).

Still, the fact that Sakurai added two bosses, two stages and even making up for the lack of characters with a transformation for Samus in Brawl shows that Sakurai really does genuinely want to appeal to Metroid fans. Support for Ridley has persisted even after he was all but explicitly denied in Brawl, so who's to say he won't change his mind?

So Sakurai mentioning Falcon Punch in describing FFA and 1v1 balancing for Smash 4 more or less confirms Falcon will be coming back, I suppose.

Soooo, you think some characters moves will be different if its FFA or 1v1? So for falcon punch, it will be more powerful and slow in FFA but in 1v1 it will be faster but weaker. That's how I'm seeing it now, What if that's the way?

I think he just meant that a falcon punch would be more likely to connect in a hectic all out battle where you're dealing with two other opponents at most, compared to a focused 1 on 1 fight where you only have one target that's watching themselves from you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Soooo, you think some characters moves will be different if its FFA or 1v1? So for falcon punch, it will be more powerful and slow in FFA but in 1v1 it will be faster but weaker. That's how I'm seeing it now, What if that's the way?

He means that you're more likely to hit a falcon punch in 4 player battles when the other players are distracted with eachother. I've never hit a Falcon or Ganon Punch in 1 on 1 but I've landed them alot in 4 player fights. I just show up out of nowhere and bam! Everyones dead!