Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Its weird isn't it, I mean sure wolf may be an evolution of a fox but that doesn't mean he's a clone of fox.

But on a more serious note (and just to get off the discussion in general) what was wrong with fox's brawl design? I always saw it as the best fox design for me since his melee one seemed a bit too edgy and serious for me while the slightly cartoony look makes him seem more agile (and overall he looks pretty darn cool too) while still giving off a nice star foxish air, something that the melee design really didn't do for me.

There a lot of people who can't let go from Melee, that game must be that damn good. Especially with the whole Project M stuff.

But on a more serious note (and just to get off the discussion in general) what was wrong with fox's brawl design?

Pretty much everything? He's ugly as hell. His head is awkwardly shaped and his muzzle is too short so he doesn't even look like a fox. The texture on his fur makes it look matted and dirty. His boots are ugly too. Not to mention the Brawl design is primarily based around the crock of shit that is Command. Thanks for reminding me that awful game exists, Sakurai.

Slippy would be interesting, though they'd certainly have to be artistic with him, I mean even Fox draws very little from the franchise's gameplay as is.

That's what Star Fox Assault is for. Super fast charge shot, below average running speed, high jump, etc. Make him use different weapons and gadgets like mines and rocket launchers. His Final Smash should be the Landmaster because that's what his highest piloting stat is in. The other characters' Final Smashes should be changed.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally I can't see Slippy getting in under any circumstances. They'll either keep the three we have and tweak them, keep two and remove one, or do the prior option and add Krystal as a replacement. As much as people would rather see Slippy as playable as he's been around longer, he's not as iconic as Fox, Falco, or Wolf, and he doesn't have as much moveset potential as Krystal, who would also add an additional female character to the cast.

As far as Toon Zelda goes... WHY?! Toon Link shouldn't exist, let alone Toon Zelda. Zelda could use some work on her moveset anyway.

> Claims Wolf to be a shittier version of Fox despite the fact that they share nothing in terms of moveset or playstyle barring a reflector

> Wants Toon Zelda, who would probably be a shittier version of Zelda, an already terrible character

Wut 

tumblr_inline_myhbuvgYpg1qf968l.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

I think saying Zelda is a terrible character is a bit extreme. Compare Zelda to Link. Link is well-liked, but as far as tiers are concerned, he's NEVER been good. In fact I think Zelda has always been significantly better than Link. Sheik on the other hand was way better in prior games if I'm recalling correctly.

No, Zelda's not amazing, but she's not "terrible" by any means. If anyone needs work its Link, although it might be useful to touch up Zelda a bit.

I think saying Zelda is a terrible character is a bit extreme. Compare Zelda to Link. Link is well-liked, but as far as tiers are concerned, he's NEVER been good. In fact I think Zelda has always been significantly better than Link. Sheik on the other hand was way better in prior games if I'm recalling correctly.

No, Zelda's not amazing, but she's not "terrible" by any means. If anyone needs work its Link, although it might be useful to touch up Zelda a bit.

Not in the slightest.  Zelda is definitely terrible but in a rather strange way and has never been better than Link (though Link has never been particularly good in any of the games).  The reason being is that the positive elements of the character, (namely being her high power, priority and defensive options) are completely offset by the facts that she is 1) tall, slow, floaty and light;  2) has absolutely terrible approach and 3) having very few safe options.

I dunno about you, man, but I find it quite easy to fight using Zelda by racking up damage with her side B fireball, and finishing foes off with an any-direction smash attack.

She might be terrible under competitive ruleset conditions. Good thing there are plenty of ways to play smash.

• Thumbs Up 1

She might be terrible under competitive ruleset conditions. Good thing there are plenty of ways to play smash.

Stock, fair stages and no items isn't going to make her suddenly terrible.

If she's bad, she's bad. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I dunno about you, man, but I find it quite easy to fight using Zelda by racking up damage with her side B fireball, and finishing foes off with an any-direction smash attack.

Her fireball is fairly powerful but incredibly predictable and easy to dodge. It's only really useful if you're confident your opponent has no way to avoid it

Stock, fair stages and no items isn't going to make her suddenly terrible.

If she's bad, she's bad. 

Smash is balanced with items in mind so that kinda is the case.

Smash is balanced with items in mind so that kinda is the case.

Zelda with a sword or pokeballs isn't going to suddenly make her amazing, even with Sheik's neato double slice.

Taking them away isn't going to suddenly make her terrible, either.

Regardless of whether items are on or off, she still has the same moves., the same attacks, and the same weaknesses. If her playstyle was dependant on items, or she had a move like Rosalina's item vaccuum maybe I'd swallow that, but if you look at it rationally they don't make that much of a difference to a character's overall strength.

The reason items are turned off is because of the random factor in how they appear, right? Not because certain characters (Zelda) gain huge advantages with them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Or you might just suck with her.

I play as Zelda all the time, and so does my friend.

Whether or not I'm good or bad with a character is irrelevant.  I'm terrible with Fox in Melee, doesn't change the fact that he's amazing.  Some of the best players in the world use bad characters extremely effectively, but still acknowledge that they are bad characters (Taj with Mewtwo in Melee for instance).    

This, however, is also true.  But still, they should definitely aim to balance the characters better this time round (though a good part of me feels that this shall happen as Namco Bandai are assisting in development and they have a pretty rich history in terms of fighting games)

• Thumbs Up 2

Even with items in mind the balance of Smash Bros. is pretty laughable.

Also Din's Fire is just free healing for the Mother kids.

Being bad with a character might not automatically make them bad, but being good with a character doesn't actually mean they're good either. There are objective qualities to these things, not just "I don't understand it and therefore it sucks."

• Thumbs Up 5

It's all fun and games till someone get's hit by Zelda's Lighting Kick, that attack is freaking brutal when it connects, problemly one of the most deadliest moves in Smash due to how quick it is and some people can perfectly connect with it 100% of the time.

Zelda's moves are some pretty awesome finishers but they're a pain in the ass to sweetspot, its part of the reason I never use her. I hope they increase them just a tiny bit.

Zelda's moves are some pretty awesome finishers but they're a pain in the ass to sweetspot, its part of the reason I never use her. I hope they increase them just a tiny bit.

Thats the thing with her, shes a great finisher while Shiek is the combo (ranking damage) type of fighter. Two characters in one for a good balance of both. I think melee, she was to broken. 

Could be a programming error. The Pilotwings stage is like Lylat Cruise going top speed so it's not surprising there would be some ground collision issues at that moment.

Or maybe hitting the wing while still in hitstun causes the character to ignore the wing and keep going down, since Fox was in hitstun from DK's Nair at the time he went under.