Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

The fact that her pictures show us pretty much nothing makes me wonder if they're giving her a complete overhaul

The phantom definitely points towards that if it's a part of her moveset

Definitely seems plausible.  She's actually in a very similar boat to Bowser if that's the case.  A character who was introduced in Melee and wasn't very good, then they tried to essentially give her the same/similar moveset in Brawl but just make it better but they the character was still ineffective (more extreme in Zelda's case than Bowser's).  So a moveset overhaul doesn't seem unreasonable.  

DK has teeth here, but prior to this shot he never had teeth (looks like he's been brushing too they're certainly more white than they were in Brawl).  Even his character render still doesn't have teeth.

They always do that with DK. His design has had teeth since forever, but they always take care to keep them hidden when necessary, even if not logically possible.

I'm definitely disappointed that it's TP Zelda again, by far the most boring Zelda character-wise. Why they didn't go with the newer, more relevant and far more vibrant SS Zelda is a mystery to me, but eh.

I will admit that she looks far better than in Brawl, the fierce look she's got is fantastic, she looks like the warrior that TP Zelda should have been.

Also I've gotta say that as cool as it is for her to have a new move like Phantom, why the heck does she get a new move when her moveset was always completely original but Toon Link is still a fucking clone? I swear I'll never understand Sakurai sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 3

I prefer TP Zelda's design by far myself, not just as a fighter, but for that brunette hair.

I just noticed she sticks out among the other human(y) characters for having brunette hair instead of blonde. Well, except Pit.

I just noticed she sticks out among the other human(y) characters for having brunette hair instead of blonde. Well, except Pit.

Marth's blue hair?

Also, what's Rosalina's Japanese name?

Whoa, is that one of those Phantoms from Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks? That's pretty cool, actually.

screen-6.jpg

What the heck is even happening here

Rosalina is (literally) tapping Zelda.

Marth's blue hair?

Also, what's Rosalina's Japanese name?

But

In all seriousness I had forgotten about him, I'm so sorry.

Rosalina is (literally) tapping Zelda.

Samus is probably gonna be mad

• Thumbs Up 1

It was obvious Zelda was going to return though I'm slightly disappointed its TP Zelda again and not SS Zelda. =< Like SuperLink said the former has hardly any personality, but I have to admit she's far more emotive in these screenshots than she ever was in Brawl and her own game.

Interesting to see her using a Phantom Spirit. If she is actually using it and it's a new move, then I like it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well here is a thought, what if in that pic there are TWO zeldas ingame, and one has transformed into the phantom?

Eh, I doubt they'd introduce "Toon Zelda" as a playable character. Didn't Toon Link get at least a little backlash?

I COULD see the Zelda Phantom being an Assist Trophy, but for now I'm confident it's part of her moveset.

God, it's disappointing that they stuck with her boring Twilight Princess design and were too lazy to change it like they did from Melee to Brawl. I would have loved to see Skyward Sword Zelda or a slightly different take on Zelda much like Smash 4 Link, but Nope! Using the Twilight Princess design again. Ah well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, as long as Zelda retains her side B fireball thing, I'm fine with whatever else Sakurai does to her.

Phantom looks... Kinda odd, with it's cartoony proportions. Especially next to TP Zelda...

Though if Zelda has been changed completely, I'd very much like to see Toon Zelda with the same move set Zelda previously had- albeit with Tetra as the transformation instead of Sheik.

God, it's disappointing that they stuck with her boring Twilight Princess design and were too lazy to change it like they did from Melee to Brawl. I would have loved to see Skyward Sword Zelda or a slightly different take on Zelda much like Smash 4 Link, but Nope! Using the Twilight Princess design again. Ah well. 

Laziness would imply this is the same as the Brawl model or is an adjusted version of the Brawl model which is objectively incorrect.  The only thing it shares is the design, in which sense Link is in exactly the same boat.  Regardless of what design is used they would have had to have made a new model anyway.  And honestly, as much as I love SS Zelda's design, I don't think it fits quite as well as a fighter as the OoT and TP designs.   

• Thumbs Up 9

You would think in the context of a game like Smash Bros. you wouldn't see people constantly making the "doesn't look like a fighter / not a fighter" point.

I'd just prefer Skyward Sword Zelda because that is a newer Zelda incarnation and I think she's cute.

• Thumbs Up 1

SS Zelda's pretty, but she's kind of an outlier as Zelda designs go. TP Zelda is a lot closer to a standard look for the character (though I was expecting we'd be seeing OoT Zelda again, since she's more relevant these days), so it's reasonable that they'd use that design again. At least they borrowed the most critical thing they could have from SS Zelda by actually making this one look alive.

Not that I'm too fussed either way, since Spirit Tracks Zelda is clearly the best one and she's totally in this game somehow. They could've used CDi Zelda as the main design and I'd probably still be happy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Glad it's TP Zelda again, Nintendo has so many blonde haired ladies it just makes for a nice bit of cast variety visually speaking.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wouldn't they need to completely rework her moveset if she was SS zelda? I haven't played the game myself but as far as I know she can't really use spells like TP zelda so how would her moveset work.

You would think in the context of a game like Smash Bros. you wouldn't see people constantly making the "doesn't look like a fighter / not a fighter" point.

I'd just prefer Skyward Sword Zelda because that is a newer Zelda incarnation and I think she's cute.

In addition SS Zelda is super different in terms of design to just about every other Zelda to the point where in the initial trailers for the game I almost thought it was a different character.  Normally I don't bring up the point, but only because Zelda has already been established as a Smash character, and both Melee and Brawl follow quite a similar design it would I find it strange for her to follow her SS design now.  The various forms of magic that Zelda uses in Smash, that have established her character and playstyle, wouldn't really fit well with her SS Zelda.  There's also the point that characters from the same series generally retain their designs from one game.  In Melee all three characters used their OoT designs.  In Brawl Link, Zelda and Ganon all used their TP designs.  Now Link uses his TP design again, it makes sense that Zelda does the same.

If Zelda hadn't been in Smash before, I'd be all for them using the SS Zelda design in this game.  As I said I love the design, but as it stands I don't think it would make sense in the context of this game.

I almost feel like a minority when I say I'm glad they bought the TP designs back, only because they couldn't really reach their artistic potential on the Wii.  The art of TP has grown on me as time has gone on, but inferior hardware compromised the overall detail of how the characters could potentially have looked.  Now however that we're on stronger tech the designs can finally shine properly and they look incredible in HD. 

• Thumbs Up 6