Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

Of all the characters revealed so far, I wonder which ones will be starters and which will be unlockable. I'm assuming at least Megaman, Sonic and Rosalina will be hidden ones.

I'm actually thinking Sonic might be a starter given that he now has Veteran status (and a pretty damn popular veteran at that). That's just me though.

I'm actually thinking Sonic might be a starter given that he now has Veteran status (and a pretty damn popular veteran at that). That's just me though.

I Kinda hope he is hidden, I like the feeling of the "Challenger approaching!" especially if it's Sonic. but that is also just me...

Uhm, watching that screen with Zelda and Rosalina: while i approve completely that cute expression Zelda has, she somehow looks like a product of a GMod/SFM video with the mouth expression. Again, this may be due to the fact that she's moving so it could be a blur effect.

Wouldn't they need to completely rework her moveset if she was SS zelda? I haven't played the game myself but as far as I know she can't really use spells like TP zelda so how would her moveset work.

What spells did TP Zelda use? Certainly not the 3 spells Link gets in OoT, or a "transform into Sheik" spell.
  • Thumbs Up 1

They might still have her transform, I remember when Brawl was coming out and they were doing the same one a day method, Sheik was announced well after Zelda was.

The various forms of magic that Zelda uses in Smash, that have established her character and playstyle, wouldn't really fit well with her SS Zelda.

Even though the spells she uses and the fact she can transform into Sheik are taken from OoT Zelda and this is TP Zelda. Just sayin.

All I'm sayin' is that I fail to see laziness just because they didn't use the newer Zelda some of you wanted. It's fine if you don't like it or prefer SS Zelda's design over it over those of us that like the TP one, but that's nothing more than an aesthetic choice than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even though the spells she uses and the fact she can transform into Sheik are taken from OoT Zelda and this is TP Zelda. Just sayin.

Irrelevant.  In terms of visual design TP Zelda is basically an evolution OoT Zelda.  A lot of the basic design elements are pretty much the same, which is why the moveset fits.  Visual design still compliment the established character moveset and archetype [though if we wanted to really be pedantic, Zelda doesn't even use any of those spells in OoT, Link uses them (or at least spells of the same name).  The only thing she does that's in Smash is the Sheik transformation].  SS Zelda, on the other hand, is completely different in terms of design and consequently doesn't remain cohesive with said archetype.

There is the argument of "couldn't they completely change the moveset to better reflect how she is in SS?" and the response to that is yes they could.  But would it be worthwhile to completely change a staple character who has multiple appearances and a moveset that helps to reflect her in a general sense and establishes her as a very unique character (she's still pretty much the only "magic" user in the game barring the PK kids, who more use psychokinetic abilities, and maybe Rosalina though she's a puppeteer character more than a magic one) to one that only appeals to one very specific outlier appearance?  

Irrelevant.  In terms of visual design TP Zelda is basically an evolution OoT Zelda.  A lot of the basic design elements are pretty much the same, which is why the moveset fits.  Visual design still compliment the established character moveset and archetype [though if we wanted to really be pedantic, Zelda doesn't even use any of those spells in OoT, Link uses them (or at least spells of the same name).  The only thing she does that's in Smash is the Sheik transformation].  SS Zelda, on the other hand, is completely different in terms of design and consequently doesn't remain cohesive with said archetype.

There is the argument of "couldn't they completely change the moveset to better reflect how she is in SS?" and the response to that is yes they could.  But would it be worthwhile to completely change a staple character who has multiple appearances and a moveset that helps to reflect her in a general sense and establishes her as a very unique character (she's still pretty much the only "magic" user in the game barring the PK kids, who more use psychokinetic abilities, and maybe Rosalina though she's a puppeteer character more than a magic one) to one that only appeals to one very specific outlier appearance?

Can't argue with that. I suppose TP Zelda is closest to OoT Zelda since they're in the same universe, I think. Isn't TP Zelda hundreds of years after the other one?

SS, OoT, and TP Zelda are all from the same universe/timeline (since SS is before any of the time splits). But that's the exact argument I'd been trying to make about Link before, too. Link and Zelda from TP are simply overhauled, updated designs based on OoT. Yeah, they are different Link/Zelda's, but they still have the same base appearances just overall enhanced.

SS Zelda on the other hand is from the same universe, but she's significantly different. Primarily because this Zelda is set before Hyrule ever became a Kingdom, so she's not even a princess (presumably either she or her children found the Kingdom of Hyrule in the near future after SS). Now, I wouldn't mind seeing SS Zelda as an alternate costume or something... but TP Zelda is overall closer to her original designs based on OoT.

Regarding TP Zelda doing spells I think it's still more justified in the sense that, even though she doesn't in TP, I can so see her being able to use spells outside of the story, I mean she does whisk you away to an unknown realm to grant you Light Arrows out of thin air.  Skyward Sword Zelda is just a harp-playing innocent.

Also a goddess.

Pssssh what kind of character could they possibly make out of a goddess what a ridiculous notion.

Anyway I finally got Kid Icarus Uprising recently and it'd be cool if Palutena got into Smash.

• Thumbs Up 4

But would it be worthwhile to completely change a staple character who has multiple appearances and a moveset that helps to reflect her in a general sense and establishes her as a very unique character to one that only appeals to one very specific outlier appearance?

BrawlWario.jpg

Apparently Sakurai thought so.

BrawlWario.jpg

Now here's a character I want Sakurai to change drastically from Brawl. He can keep the look maybe, but ffs change his moveset and the weird 2fps movement!

The interesting part about Wario's design was that most of his staple abilities from the World Land/World series were still intact, except in his standard and smash attacks instead of his specials. Does he even have enough depth from those spinoffs to create a full moveset without some thinking outside of the box?

The interesting part about Wario's design was that most of his staple abilities from the World Land/World series were still intact, except in his standard and smash attacks instead of his specials. Does he even have enough depth from those spinoffs to create a full moveset without some thinking outside of the box?

Why not take some inspiration from the various transformations he could utilize throughout those games? Like, say, for his Up special, have him transform into Vampire Wario or Jet Wario for the duration of the move?

The interesting part about Wario's design was that most of his staple abilities from the World Land/World series were still intact, except in his standard and smash attacks instead of his specials.

Well sure, if you're expected to believe that little shunt from his side smash is actually supposed to be his signature charging shoulder barge. It's about as much a reference as moving Link's bow to a down tilt that shoots his opponent in the toes, and no less degrading.