Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Nintendo plans to have Mario Kart promoting all the way to Christmas, so it's more than likely they are going to be adding DLC. 

I wonder if they'd add whole new courses; or better yet, actual battle arenas. That'd be worth promoting. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah DLC is probably to be expected if they intend on pushing it as a system seller all throughout the year. "Remember that game that came out half a year ago that you all probably own already" isn't the best marketing campaign.

Wonder if they'll offer a Season Pass if DLC is a go for this game, I'd jump on that shit so fast if Nintendo stick to their guns and release so much every couple of months.

• Thumbs Up 2

Updated my previous post with a summary of the GameXplain Q&A, here it is again just in case people don't want to scroll back up:

- vehicle parts randomly unlock every 50 coins (at least up until around the 400 mark)

Liking the whole list, though of note I recall people complaining about coin unlocks previously, mainly because of the fact that the coin unlocks in MK7 got pretty ridiculous. Good to know that it is EVERY 50 coins, and not constantly increasing.

Also, I did not anticipate any further additions to the roster at this point. I mean, they added Pink Gold Peach, Baby Rosalina, and Metal Mario. These are clearly just filler spots. Yeah, Metal Mario is coming back and had been in previous games, but he's still a worthless addition as well and shouldn't have come back from prior games.

As a whole, because of this lack of care in the last few roster additions its quite clear to me this is definitely the final roster. That said, I fully anticipate DLC packs to unlock new characters. If I had to guess, I'd say we may get a DLC pack with 3 characters and a new Cup, perhaps four of these all-together. These can include Mario spinoffs and also additional of Bowser's minions. (Or 6 characters per pack, but that's highly doubtful.)

If its just three, here's what I'm picturing:

Barrel Cup with Diddy, Dixie, and King K. Rool (or Funky Kong) (features stages from DKC games).

Diamond Cup with Mona, Jimmy T., and Ashley (just a few guesses, don't know much about it). Based on WarioWare and Diamond City.

Mansion Cup with E. Gadd, King Boo, and Nabbit (he wasn't in the Luigi's Mansion games, but I couldn't think of anyone else to add and Nabbit is playable in Super Luigi U, so I figured he'd fit).

Bone Cup with Kamek, Bowser Jr., and Dry Bones. Just a guess, I doubt this would be the name but I figured it'd be populated with more of Bowser's minions and be based on more of Bowser's areas.

Just my thoughts right now. I suppose they COULD do six characters each, although then I'd be really confused who could be in the Mansion Cup. The reason I suggest only four? Well, they could potentially add four spots for Cups underneath the the main Cups, but I think it'd be difficult to add more than that.

• Thumbs Up 2

@MK (since once again this stupid browser won't let me quote angry.png) Bowser jr. was also in DD so that's actually 3 games he's been in.

Liking the whole list, though of note I recall people complaining about coin unlocks previously, mainly because of the fact that the coin unlocks in MK7 got pretty ridiculous. Good to know that it is EVERY 50 coins, and not constantly increasing.

Also, I did not anticipate any further additions to the roster at this point. I mean, they added Pink Gold Peach, Baby Rosalina, and Metal Mario. These are clearly just filler spots. Yeah, Metal Mario is coming back and had been in previous games, but he's still a worthless addition as well and shouldn't have come back from prior games.

As a whole, because of this lack of care in the last few roster additions its quite clear to me this is definitely the final roster. That said, I fully anticipate DLC packs to unlock new characters. If I had to guess, I'd say we may get a DLC pack with 3 characters and a new Cup, perhaps four of these all-together. These can include Mario spinoffs and also additional of Bowser's minions. (Or 6 characters per pack, but that's highly doubtful.)

If its just three, here's what I'm picturing:

Barrel Cup with Diddy, Dixie, and King K. Rool (or Funky Kong) (features stages from DKC games).

Diamond Cup with Mona, Jimmy T., and Ashley (just a few guesses, don't know much about it). Based on WarioWare and Diamond City.

Mansion Cup with E. Gadd, King Boo, and Nabbit (he wasn't in the Luigi's Mansion games, but I couldn't think of anyone else to add and Nabbit is playable in Super Luigi U, so I figured he'd fit).

Bone Cup with Kamek, Bowser Jr., and Dry Bones. Just a guess, I doubt this would be the name but I figured it'd be populated with more of Bowser's minions and be based on more of Bowser's areas.

Just my thoughts right now. I suppose they COULD do six characters each, although then I'd be really confused who could be in the Mansion Cup. The reason I suggest only four? Well, they could potentially add four spots for Cups underneath the the main Cups, but I think it'd be difficult to add more than that.

Actualy this is the most logical suggestion I have seen, although if we Did get cup dlc, I would expect a gap of 2-4 months between each one due to the time it takes to develop tracks, but on the flipside that would mean nearly a years worth of dlc and give an even larger draw and lifespan to the game 

though still think character dlc is more likely as a whole

@MK (since once again this stupid browser won't let me quote :angry:) Bowser jr. was also in DD so that's actually 3 games he's been in.

I already said he was in Double Dash.

Double Dash + MKWii = 2 appearances, unless I'm forgetting one

Oh wh-*looks back at post* DANGIT D:

Sorry about that then, guess I read through it too quickly.

The thing is, outside of weight classes, the differences between playable characters are purely superficial, so offering character packs as stand alone DLC seems like a shitty idea to me.  I can't help but feel that the most likely approach they would take would be track + character combos, along the lines of what Mario Golf is doing.  The meat of the DLC is the tracks while the characters act as a bonus, of sorts.

I already said he was in Double Dash.

Double Dash + MKWii = 2 appearances, unless I'm forgetting one

Technically, there's Mario Kart Arcade GP DX. But no one really counts that.

Its Horror, Pure, Agonizing, Horror...

JK Mii's in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrzHXyfiCU

How do you even not have Bowser Jr

I understand he isn't exactly a fantastic specimen, but he's kind of been a staple since Double Dash. Maybe DLC?

Same thing with Diddy kong and birdo

• Thumbs Up 1

Same thing with Diddy kong and birdo

Personaly, I would like to see DKJr, and Funky return as well, still doesn't mean I wouldn't like a dk newcomer like say K.Rool either

But yes I would like a mix of the new and old 

Nintendo plans to have Mario Kart promoting all the way to Christmas, so it's more than likely they are going to be adding DLC. 

I wonder if they'd add whole new courses; or better yet, actual battle arenas. That'd be worth promoting. 

I would think new courses would garner more attention than Battle Mode tracks. I don't know man, but I think most people play Mario Kart to race.

Its Horror, Pure, Agonizing, Horror...

JK Mii's in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrzHXyfiCU

Thank you Nintendo for turning all of our Mii's into annoying little shits.

"Yeeeey! Yeeeey! Yeeeeey! Yeeeey!"

I would think new courses would garner more attention than Battle Mode tracks. I don't know man, but I think most people play Mario Kart to race.

The people that would be interested in Battle mode would be disappointed that there don't seem to be any stages specifically made for Battle mode and they're just un-altered tracks that you race on normally.. Most people do play Mario Kart to race, but that doesn't mean they can't also enjoy doing the other modes every now and then.

The people that would be interested in Battle mode would be disappointed that there don't seem to be any stages specifically made for Battle mode and they're just un-altered tracks that you race on normally.. Most people do play Mario Kart to race, but that doesn't mean they can't also enjoy doing the other modes every now and then.

My sisters and I always loved Battle Mode more than any other mode when we were playing classic Mario Kart games (Super, 64, Double Dash). Yeah, we played to race, but Battle Mode was what we frequented most often, and when I finally bought them Mario Kart Wii this past Christmas, the first thing they started playing was Battle Mode.

Although it should be noted that these Battle Mode tracks are NOT un-altered, they are SLIGHTLY altered. Not very significant, but there are some changes.

Battle mode in MK8 is a joke, so if they're just going to put the main focus on racing, then I'd rather they offer more tracks as DLC and make this the ultimate Mario Kart experience.

I'd kill for a Kalamari Desert in HD with Anti Grav features, or Banshee boardwalk.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it would be a missed opportunity if Nintendo didn't make Kirby Air Ride or F-Zero X/GX maps in-game or as DLC. I mean the game has added anti-gravity and gliding gimmicks so the tracks from those games would feel right at home.

I think it would be a missed opportunity if Nintendo didn't make Kirby Air Ride or F-Zero X/GX maps in-game or as DLC. I mean the game has added anti-gravity and gliding gimmicks so the tracks from those games would feel right at home.

Honestly, I think people would far prefer Nintendo to just make a new F-Zero game.

• Thumbs Up 8

If we get in more DLC, I would really like to see Toads factory, Neo Bowers city, Sky garden or Ribbon road,  Mushroom city, DK summit and Dry Dry ruins

It would be so cool if they brought back Baby Park. Imagine that place with 12 racers? I wish it wasn't used already in the DS version.

You know what I'd like? If they made a Paper Mario based track for DLC. Have the entire track take place on a giant pop up book as you ride around popular set pieces from Paper Mario. 

• Thumbs Up 8

Massive one hour long Q&A session from GameXplain, no doubt some interesting details in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BNSMaOzPSM

Summary:

- previously confirmed 30 characters appears to be the full roster (excluding any potential DLC)

- characters unlocked by completing Grand Prix cups in 1st place

- vehicle parts randomly unlock every 50 coins (at least up until around the 400 mark)

- 8 Battle stages based on existing tracks, no exclusive arenas

- no boost after Lakitu drops you back on the track

- Mirror mode accessible right away in the VS options

- more personality than Mario Kart 7

- every character can use every kart

- Koopalings need to be unlocked

- all Battle mode tracks available from the start

- mini-map can only be viewed on the GamePad

- custom item selection in VS and Battle modes

- cannot change the number of laps per track in VS mode

- Super Horn is a rare item but does appear when in 1st place

- start in random positions around the track in Battle mode

- staff ghosts are available from the start in Time Trials

- review embargo lifts sometime in the middle of May (possibly 15th)

Waluigi in the Prancer.

Book it , Done, Sold.

Waluigi in the Prancer.

Book it , Done, Sold.

comeon, we all know Bowser in a Shoe is going to be the best, or what about toadette in the pirate ship!