Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Direct feed of battle mode in Sherbet land

http://youtu.be/5edQL6_RHFY

The more I look at battle mode, the more boring it looks, I can't believe they got lazy with this one. I was really hoping for some really cool anti gravity battle stages. And when they finally decided to have last man standing they throw in race tracks as battle stages. Mario kart 7 is much more fast paced then this version. At least from what I've seen so far. Mario kart 7 was still a slow paced battle mode. 

So close man, so close to getting a perfect battle mode. At least bring back some old battle stages. Like cookie land or Block plaza from Mario kart Wii

Well they do have only sooo many hours to develop the game, would you had preffered they had cut Battle Mode completely? its obvious they put their all intot he tracks and the racing elements, its not that surprising that a few things had to be cut due to it, and that is why I think DLC is extremely likely because then they will have a good amount additional development time to cost, which is one of the advantadges to doing dlc

Even the guy who uploaded the video doesn't like it

"People have a right to complain to be honest. Battle in MK8 isn't about Nintendo trying something new, it's Nintendo being forced to rush an unfinished game to help Wii U sales. Battle feels just down right broken to be honest. Consumers who spend their hard earned $60 have a right to discuss whether or not they're happy about certain aspects of the product. Just ignoring problems doesn't solve anything and only furthers the problems. Complaining will let Nintendo know that fans want a real Battle Mode in MK8 and give hope for DLC maps and more ways to play outside of just Balloon."

• Thumbs Up 5

Well they do have only sooo many hours to develop the game, would you had preffered they had cut Battle Mode completely? its obvious they put their all intot he tracks and the racing elements, its not that surprising that a few things had to be cut due to it, and that is why I think DLC is extremely likely because then they will have a good amount additional development time to cost, which is one of the advantadges to doing dlc

It's not like we know much about what Mario Kart 8's development was like.

Plus, even if development time WAS the excuse, that still doesn't mean we have to be satisfied with it.

Even the guy who uploaded the video doesn't like it

"People have a right to complain to be honest. Battle in MK8 isn't about Nintendo trying something new, it's Nintendo being forced to rush an unfinished game to help Wii U sales. Battle feels just down right broken to be honest. Consumers who spend their hard earned $60 have a right to discuss whether or not they're happy about certain aspects of the product. Just ignoring problems doesn't solve anything and only furthers the problems. Complaining will let Nintendo know that fans want a real Battle Mode in MK8 and give hope for DLC maps and more ways to play outside of just Balloon."

^So much this. I'm a big fan of Battle mode and really hope this is not the only stages were getting for Battle mode. Don't you think it would of been better to bring back retro battle stages?

Who knows if they'll do DLC, it seems likely, but you never know, I'll stop worrying once I hear confirmation that DLC is happening. 

2aakaqc.png

Wow, I never knew Mario had such a low opinion of himself. :(

Seriously, without a period at the end of 'No', that was my immediate thought, lol

It's cool that the 3D World Miiverse stamps are becoming a thing, at least for the Mario series. Actually I'm glad the old 2D Mario art returned to use in 3D Land, it's a pretty nice style.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does Roy sound like Vector's actor from Sonic Heroes? 

Anyways, I'm also hoping for Battle Mode to be given extra features through DLC. There is a huge amount of polish everywhere else in this game, and it's sad that the dire situation of the Wii U had to push Nintendo in this direction.

First review from German magazine GamePro:

90%

30 characters
Coins being used to buy new Kart parts
music and graphics are amazing @ 60fps
more than 2 players = 30fps
Battle mode (balloons) only on regular tracks! No arenas!
new and old tracks are fantastic!
blue shells are way too common (the editor wrote that he sometimes got 3-4 hits within one race)
online play could not be tested (no servers online)

http://nintendoeverything.com/mario-kart-8-gets-first-review/

Disappointed that there are no arenas for balloon battle mode.

I suppose they made the blue shells more common because of the fact that there's now an item to counteract them. 

Which in itself, as GameXplain have said, is a rarer item among first. At least that's what I took it as.

It could possibly be luck of the draw just for that particular race, but more than likely I'm guessing it's the same as in MKWii and said reviewer is just stating that. After all, twelve racers boosts the draw rate of all items by roughly a quarter, so it wouldn't be surprising if some found the blue shell more than others in their play time. If it is just for one race out of many though, maybe some kind of unbalance? The game reads no blue shells have been around and so launches them all at once in the next race?

Look at Mario kart TV in action

MKTV looks really fun! The whole slow down, speed up, and reverse thing makes me think of YTP's.

That was hilarious when he kept rewinding the footage were Ludwig was getting hit by the red shell.

MKTV looks really lame. What's the point if you don't have camera control?

"Look at me I can play with the slow-mo button! Wheeee!"

Bleh. Won't be using it.

Looks like somebody's been spoiled by inFamous' photo feature! :P

• Thumbs Up 3

Must say I'm surprised about that review stating that Blue Shells were more common - pretty much all of the previews I've read/seen that have discussed the matter leaned more towards it being better balanced and a rarer occurrence, so either it's been upped for the review build, or that reviewer just got quite unlucky. At any rate, we no longer have things like the POW block to compete with as well, so I doubt things will ever get quite as brutal as they did in Mario Kart Wii. Plus, y'know, Super Horn.

MKTV looks cool enough for what it is - it was never going to be a big selling point of the game, but it's a neat little feature for capturing your favourite moments. If nothing else, it highlights just how much detail has been put into the animations and the tracks - even in super duper slow-mo, everything looks amazing.

EDIT: Visual proof you can put any character in any kart!

23j3h55.jpg

Doesn't Bowser look ridiculous? :lol:

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks like Jeremy Clarkson in an F1 car. Before the seat was took out of it.

There was no question of a doubt that all chassis would be available to any character, since the same happened with MKWii, and the fact that if they did do that, numerous left side sliders would have to be made and one slotted in where appropriate.

As for MKTV, it's a nifty little feature that only adds as much as you put in. If it's not used, you'll never get anything out of it. And Mario Kart is one of those games where at some point you are always thinking 'If only I could have recorded that'.

MKTV looks really lame. What's the point if you don't have camera control?

"Look at me I can play with the slow-mo button! Wheeee!"

Bleh. Won't be using it.

Wait, we can't move the camera? Laaaaaaame.

Oh well. I'll have fun at least uploading races to youtube.

I just noticed something: Doesn't this track sound familiar?

No? You suuuure?

I just noticed something: Doesn't this track sound familiar?

No? You suuuure?

I'm pretty sure anyone who played 3D World made that connection.

• Thumbs Up 1

Direct feed of another amazing retro track, Tick Tock Clock.

http://youtu.be/Tw3bPWiSnv8

How do you feel about this one?

Direct feed of another amazing retro track, Tick Tock Clock.

http://youtu.be/Tw3bPWiSnv8

How do you feel about this one?

It looks pretty good, yeah. In fact, seeing this kinda makes me want a Super Mario 64 HD, as impossible as that is to happen.

So the Hands are no longer hazards but now simply a brief route leading to small jumps...

I like what I was seeing there, it looks great. I was wondering for a sec how anyone would get those coins above the track...but then Gliding section after a Jump.

Also I thought it might have just been my imagination that the Blue Shell was nerfed due to the animation, But no. I was right it was nerfed, Peach didn't lose much ground at all when she got hit, still came in 1st place actually!

So somebody pointed out that the fake item box(which has been useless since double dash) is gone. That's kinda odd since they're a series staple at this point oh well I'm not complaining and I've notice that the pow block is gone too thank you!