Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Ah, alright. Silly me for thinking Nintendo would be that stupid to take down videos uploaded from their own service. 

Ah, alright. Silly me for thinking Nintendo would be that stupid to take down videos uploaded from their own service. 

Yeah, they aren't THQ over here.

Characters being weight classes in a racer is a pretty stupid concept. TBH it would be better if karts determined what weight you were so you could play as your favourite without having to worry about your weight being forced on you. It was the dumbest thing ever that you needed to play as a heavyweight in order to get the fastest possible kart in 7.

Low quality but proof of 64 Karts returning!

3PvmOu1.png

XiZnbZu.png

DWT3unk.png

XSM94BM.png

Dat retro engine and exhaust pipe.

These things in my eyes are obviously just big old water balloons.. you know, without the balloons. ;;

starting roster revealed

http://i.imgur.com/41pLqR6.jpg

41pLqR6.jpg

Now mind you, this does NOT rule out other characters, there still could be an additional hidden one or two, however it does look like DLC is most likely, however on a game already as big as this its already full, getting additional character packs would be icing on the cake, and knowing nintendo there is a good posibility it would be free for a while since this is their BIG seller

That spoiler tags broken and if that is indeed the starting lineup, can I just say - false [unless they changed that tradition too].

Starting out, you always and only always have as many racers needed to meet the game's racer limit.

12 in Wii, 8 teams in Double Dash, 8 in MK7. All the games have done it, so unless MK8 breaks that tradition too, I'm weary that really is the starting roster. Unless someone has the actual game already for review purposes.

That spoiler tags broken and if that is indeed the starting lineup, can I just say - false [unless they changed that tradition too].

Starting out, you always and only always have as many racers needed to meet the game's racer limit.

12 in Wii, 8 teams in Double Dash, 8 in MK7. All the games have done it, so unless MK8 breaks that tradition too, I'm weary that really is the starting roster. Unless someone has the actual game already for review purposes.

First off fixed, I stink at speed typing

Also, there are 16 characters there, and the race limit is TWELVE, there are more than enough

Oh wait you meant too many, well in this case we have the bigest roster yet, and there are nearly 3 times the limit(I still think there might actualy be 3 times, I still think there may be an additional 6), so the starting amount being a bit higher than normal, and including those four for variety I wouldnt rule out

Let me word that different. The race limit equals the starting roster of characters.

And let me say now, as I don't think I have yet, I am so going to try out that battle mode as soon as. It looks different enough to warrant a playthrough almost directly after 50cc.

In other news, I found some of the game's soundtrack lurking around YouTube! These videos are a bit on the short end when it comes to looping, but it's all in high quality and have no sound effects! I don't happen to know where the user got them either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrrBZ1W4kSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebsVQt1NkA

Here's 64's Rainbow Road and the new Cloudtop Cruise's music tracks, thanks to YouTube user "vini64" for uploading these!

Here's his channel! It's got tons more there! But, I'll warn you now, it might be a biiiit spoilerish...

• Thumbs Up 1

In other news, I found some of the game's soundtrack lurking around YouTube! These videos are a bit on the short end when it comes to looping, but it's all in high quality and have no sound effects! I don't happen to know where the user got them either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrrBZ1W4kSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebsVQt1NkA

Here's 64's Rainbow Road and the new Cloudtop Cruise's music tracks, thanks to YouTube user "vini64" for uploading these!

Here's his channel! It's got tons more there! But, I'll warn you now, it might be a biiiit spoilerish...

He pulled those from the official website ya know? they have every track with its clean sound track on there

Oh they can totally do DLC, I noticed that the Character Heads on the Character Select screen get a little smaller when another row is unlocked, they can at least fit 6 more characters in their.

heh, they somehow manage to do it in Mario Golf World Tour, cause it didn't look like you could fit any additional characters their either, than out of nowhere they announce DLC a week before release.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh they can totally do DLC, I noticed that the Character Heads on the Character Select screen get a little smaller when another row is unlocked, they can at least fit 6 more characters in their.

heh, they somehow manage to do it in Mario Golf World Tour, cause it didn't look like you could fit any additional characters their either, than out of nowhere they announce DLC a week before release.

technicly 4 months after the original planned release, but the delay put it around release, but I agree

When we inevitably have an SSMB tournament for this, I'll probably end up sucking a lot. Doesn't matter though, it'll just be fun racing you all. Who knows, I might not do terribly bad. :)

MKTV is something I'm probably going to play around with a lot too.

Ok, so I did this as a status post as a bit of a joke but, what if we got a Free(until say September, then anyone who didnt get it has to buy it) DLC Legacy Characters in july/(or around E3) pack with DKJR, Birdo, Funky, Diddie, ROB, and Dry Bones/Bowser

And for those who ask "Why Arent they in they in the game in the first place" Thats why they are out in july/June, the game itself is done within the next week or so, then they have to Print it on the disks, then ship it out to the retailer, the fact is that primary game development is over, and we are now in post game development, and if most of the focus was put in to them, 2 months to make a half dozen characters for a DLC pack is well within their ability now that the only other thing they have left is stability/emergency patching setups

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FBhHCL6cZc

Are these guitars? In a Mario game?

Oh...oh jesus...I can't....my ears can't take this.

Are these guitars? In a Mario game?

Eh?

Guitar is a pretty frequent motif for Bowser in the first place. 

A few details on how the unlockables will work this time around... (in spoilers just in case people want surprises)

BLxpWD3.png

- Iggy is unlocked in 100cc Mushroom Cup

- Baby Rosalina is unlocked in 100cc Flower Cup
- Larry is unlocked in 150cc Star Cup
- unlock vehicle parts with coins

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=227443

Not really pleased that the random vehicle customisation unlocks seem to be back from Mario Kart 7, but I'm pleased to see that the characters seem to be spread out through the Grand Prixs again like in Mario Kart Wii. Having to unlock them all in 150cc in Mario Kart 7 was a right pain in the backside.

Also, the main menu screen looks super nifty:

eK2NFUQ.jpg

Four weeks to go, people!

I like that title screen. Glad to hear that unlocking characters is made much easier again but I don't know if I'll like

random vehicle customisation unlocks.

Buh.

EXTREMELY relieved to see that the whole "ranking" system from Mario Kart Wii's unlockables is apparently gone now and it's closer to how MK7 handled things. Trying to drive absolutely perfectly for the triple star for an unlockable amidst item-spam was BRUTAL. That's why I had to use a save. XD

I like that title screen. Glad to hear that unlocking characters is made much easier again but I don't know if I'll like

random vehicle customisation unlocks.

Buh.

They'll be tolerable as long as the

target number of coins you need to collect don't get as ridiculously spaced out like in Mario Kart 7. Getting 50 coins for a new part is bearable, but when the gaps get up to 100 or 200 or even 500 coins apart, especially when you're hoping for a particular vehicle part to unlock, it gets a bit frustrating. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if you weren't limited to collecting only 10 coins per race, and if you get hit at the last second you lose a fair chunk of those too.

Having 10 coin limit to effect your driving is fine, but if you're still able to pick up coins, those extra coins should be counted separately so that getting the coin unlockables would be easier and faster to reach. You should only lose any of the "necessary" 10 when you get hit, but only lose the extra(s) if you have 0 out of the "necessary" 10 coins

Eh?

Guitar is a pretty frequent motif for Bowser in the first place. 

Keep in mind that I rarely play the spin offs, or even bother with their music.

How much does the coins effect your speed?

not much, just gives you a little more speed to stay ahead.

I'm severely gutted that they've brought back those unlock conditions though, what a cheap and restricted way to offer replayability.