Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Keep in mind that I rarely play the spin offs, or even bother with their music.

Well I'd say you're missing some great gems there. Some of the remixes are just phenomenal, even if I haven't played the games they come from (nope, I haven't played Strikers Charged or Mario Sports Mix).

That said, if I'd have added a third example, it would have been from Super Mario 3D World. Bowser Land is a jazzy electric guitar hip-hop mix theme of awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the coin thing wouldn't be a problem if they didn't limit the amount to 10.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the coin thing wouldn't be a problem if they didn't limit the amount to 10.

Precisely. But they do limit it to 10, which is why it's an issue. And the fact that coins are so easy to lose but much more difficult to keep the maximum number of makes it frustrating. Has it been confirmed anywhere that you can just do single races in 1P mode in this game? One of the major problems with Mario Kart 7 was you basically had to do a Grand Prix or online races whenever you wanted to bump up your coin total, which is time consuming.

What really irked me was after playing a bit of Mario Kart 7, I went back to Mario Kart Super Circuit on the 3DS Virtual Console and the way coins were handled there was so much better. The total just keep rising and rising, even if it wasn't affecting your speed any further. I hope the inevitable Mario Kart 9 sees sense and goes back to the good old fashioned way of doing things...

Ugh, no. I hated the coins in Super Circuit. You had no coins? Too bad! You'll spin out WAY more

Ugh, no. I hated the coins in Super Circuit. You had no coins? Too bad! You'll spin out WAY more

I meant in terms of the collection total, not so much how they actually affected gameplay.

That was the major problem the Coins had when actually racing, but collection wise, even though 10 was the max that effected your driving speed and weight you could still carry more than 10 per race. Why they limited the carrying amount of coins is just one of "those" questions.

More pre-order bonus news! First up, Amazon Germany is offering an exclusive Mario Kart 8 Steelbook Edition:

71u0SmPAIUL__SL1188_.jpg

And next... what's that? Yes, more pre-order bonuses for the US! This time it's Target, who are offering a rubber keyring with every pre-order - as well as a $5 Target gift card when the game launches!

MK8%20Target%20reservation%20bonus.jpg

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227487-target-mario-kart-8-preorder-bonus-extra-gift-when-the-game-releases

Say what you want about Nintendo's Wii U marketing up to now, but they're certainly throwing a lot at Mario Kart 8, and rightly so!

• Thumbs Up 2

I absolutely love what they did with Moo Moo Meadows.

I mean hell I love what they did with all the retro tracks. But I just really love what they did with Moo Moo Meadows.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well you australians are in luck, better head to your nintendo experience stores right now 

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227521-austraila-nintendo-experience-store-offering-mario-kart-8-demo-sessions-until-sunday

1922453_10152501660357189_99488550263546

Our Aussie friends now have a chance to play Mario Kart 8 nearly a month early! If you're able to visit the Nintendo Experience Store at EB Games Swanston Street, there are demo booths set up with Mario Kart 8 just waiting for you. The demos will only be there until Sunday, so head on down and play while you can!

Player point of view of Rainbow road and Bowser castle doing one lap

http://youtu.be/l1nR9usUAKo

http://youtu.be/Vya7Opow8pA

Yea, I'm more excited for Bowser's castle than Rainbow road. Rainbow Road Looks fun, but I expected a more crazy level design rainbow course. 

But yea they look cool and I can't wait to play it

My bad, forgot to spoiler it.

http://youtu.be/l1nR9usUAKo

http://youtu.be/Vya7Opow8pA

Yea, I'm more excited for Bowser's castle than Rainbow road. Rainbow Road Looks fun, but I expected a more crazy level design rainbow course. 

But yea they look cool and I can't wait to play it.

Put a spoiler on rainbow road dude! I dont mind, but some are trying to save it

Man rainbow road looks incredibly barebones compared to the past ones, haven't watched the boswer castle video yet.

• Thumbs Up 3

Man rainbow road looks incredibly barebones compared to the past ones, haven't watched the boswer castle video yet.

On the one hand it looks nice, but on the other the RR feels like, well the features arent done yet, as if there should be something BIG happening during the race that mixes it up, like space ship attack, or a meteor storm

@Mando (since my stupid browser won't let me quote) yeah it really feels as though they just focused on looks first and track layout later with this one.

Battle mode direct feed on Yoshi's Valley, courtesy of GameXplain

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8YG7O8ts2c

Ok that's 3 things I don't like about MK8 now...

Roster being the first, how lacklustre MK8 Rainbow Road is, I thought there might be a lot more hidden after the space station, but seriously what the fuck is that Nintendo?.

Multiplayer battle looks like it was shoehorned in without any thought, how the hell is playing battle mode on long winding tracks meant to be fun? Arena's are how it's meant to be, small confined spaces man, not wide open treks where you could spend ages trying to catch up with another player who is half way around the track.

Im sure this Rainbow Road will be great like Wii and 7 were. I remember when they first teased those, and people said the same thing. Wait till you play on it, and fall alot....

This Rainbow Road oddly reminds me of Oxide Station from Crash Team Racing. 

Am I the only one that thinks of that?

The battle mode seems to emulate the battle race mode from sonic and all stars racing transformed

Out of all the courses; Yoshi's valley is the only one I feel really works as an arena.

Out of all the courses; Yoshi's valley is the only one I feel really works as an arena.

I feel they really missed the boat on the courses for the battles on this game. None seem to be like Battle material compared to the past installations.

I wonder if they will implement DLC for battle stages like in MK Wii?

http://youtu.be/4P3UW_lVBu0

OOH crap why did it take me forever to figure out were this remix was from??? 

Sounds very good.

Well Rainbow road this time is not going to be our epic hard course again like in MK7. But I guess everyone won't avoid as much. except  I  wanted a crazy fun course.

new details

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227541-mario-kart-8-another-round-of-gameplay-details

- Unlock tracks by racing in Grand Prix mode
- Given 1-3 stars depending on your performance in races
- This is based on coins collected and finishing place
- Unlockable gear returns
- Each piece unlocks for every 50 coins
- These include tires, bodies, or specific gliders that will impact your stats
- Stats alter significantly if they are applied to the right character
- Time Trial and Vs. Race modes
- Time Trials: play alone or compete against a ghost
- Race against Nintendo staff member ghosts
- Beat a Nintendo staff ghost to receive a Miiverse stamp
- Pull more ghosts from Miiverse and race them
- More racing battles can be had in the Vs. Mode, where you fight randomly a bunch of computer opponents
- Play any track you have unlocked in Vs. Mode
- Play all of these modes with four players locally
- Create private lobbies for your friends online
- From here, you can also join a friend if he or she is already playing a match

Link, Link