Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Gamexplains setting up an online match

http://youtu.be/NP9RLwRSYKI

Wait, was that the Mii or the guy on the mic?

Edit: oh, it was the guy on the mic. He sounded English when he said hello, so I got a bit confused.

Calling it now

Mario Kart 8: Deadly Koopaling Edition

• Thumbs Up 2

well, looky, looky, looks like we are in for some news tomorrow!

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/227814-nintendo-world-store-teasing-exclusive-mario-kart-8-news-for-tomorrow

@https://twitter.com/Nintendo_World

Nintendo world is teasing it,

DLC perhaps?

Could be absolutely anything. Seeing as it's a store hyping up the news, it's most likely something they can sell/promote like a limited edition Wii U or an in-store tournament or something.

Details of DLC would be lovely, but I'll keep my expectations low in the hope of being pleasantly surprised.

Could be absolutely anything. Seeing as it's a store hyping up the news, it's most likely something they can sell/promote like a limited edition Wii U or an in-store tournament or something.

Details of DLC would be lovely, but I'll keep my expectations low in the hope of being pleasantly surprised.

Oh, I imagined varied free character DLC would move quite a few units

If they make it free, yeah, that would be nice, especially if they vary it out over time. If its paid... just characters probably wouldn't be enough, they'd have to do DLC Cups as well. And even then, they should still do those over time, as well. (Maybe even DLC Battle Modes/Arenas.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I live in hope then! Thursdays do tend to be a good day for Nintendo announcements, so who knows, they may well reveal something more exciting than we think. I'd be more than happy to shell out for some new characters or courses if they're made available.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please, Please, Pleeeeease be DLC, More content. As this game already looks badass on its on. We definantly need more to content to complete this game. More BETTER characters, New and old. (If they ever try to hype us with Honey queen, I'll scream) I need my King Boo, Were is birdo and Diddy kong. Not even Bowser Jr.? Each Big roster mario kart game, these guys are in it. Double dash, wii but not MK8?  It's weird. 

The roster feels like it's not complete. 

Nah there so gonna announce  Baby wario and silver Luigi. 

The roster feels like it's not complete. 

And yet, it sort of is. Yes, there's a lot of more obvious characters missing from the roster, but when you actually sit down and look at the list we have already, it does kind of make sense.

You can basically split the current roster into four main groups - the core Mario cast, the babies, the Koopalings, and the MK7 newcomers/metal characters. And admittedly that does make it sound a lot smaller than it actually is, but it's sensibly organised as opposed to having a random mish-mash of faces from the franchise.

I'm not defending the MK8 roster, it definitely could be better, but you can't argue that there's not some logic behind the decisions. Apart from maybe Pink Gold Peach anyway. That inclusion is just... perplexing.

Nintendo just like shiny metal things, that's their excuse for adding her lol.

Felt more like Nintendo simply got lazy with Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.

The Koopalings felt like they had more heart and soul put into them, I don't know what happen to put in those two oddballs over someone else in the massive Mario encyclopedia.

Personally if thy wanted another lightweight, I would've put in a Sprixie and a heavy weight character I would've used Plessie (just shrink him don like they done with Bowser). It's kinda odd that this game doesn't have too references from 3D World except for the Potted Piranha Plant item

And yet, it sort of is. Yes, there's a lot of more obvious characters missing from the roster, but when you actually sit down and look at the list we have already, it does kind of make sense.

You can basically split the current roster into four main groups - the core Mario cast, the babies, the Koopalings, and the MK7 newcomers/metal characters. And admittedly that does make it sound a lot smaller than it actually is, but it's sensibly organised as opposed to having a random mish-mash of faces from the franchise.

I'm not defending the MK8 roster, it definitely could be better, but you can't argue that there's not some logic behind the decisions. Apart from maybe Pink Gold Peach anyway. That inclusion is just... perplexing.

I didn't really mind Baby rosalina, she's adorable but I'd rather have like the others first then having some wacky characters like her. Pink Gold Peach is beyond wacky. lol

Nintendo just like shiny metal things, that's their excuse for adding her lol.

They also love our money.

Review in the new EDGE magazine... 9/10!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/462730/mario-kart-8-review-910-in-edge-as-essential-as-super-mario-3d-world/

Edge's Mario Kart 8 review has been published in the new issue of the magazine, which is available now in print and digitally.

"Even 2011's effervescent 3DS outing, Mario Kart 7, feels somewhat lifeless by comparison," the 9/10 review reads. "The new HD visuals are gorgeous, but Nintendo has also built on 7's neatly interlaced mechanics and introduced a nuanced handling model to create the greatest Mario Kart yet."

Some criticism is reserved for Balloon Battle mode's arenas, which are formed of eight standard race tracks without antigravity sections.

"The Mario Kart series' battle arenas were designed to funnel players into each other, but now you'll spend long stretches of time without even catching sight of a potential target as you trek round the circuit," Edge says.

"But even this isn't enough to detract from an otherwise-joyous follow-up to the series' excellent 3DS outing. That it offers as much of its own innovation again speaks volumes; Mario Kart 8 is as essential a purchase as Super Mario 3D World."

I hope they do Battle Mode as DLC at some point. As in actual arenas. 

Felt more like Nintendo simply got lazy with Baby Rosalina and Pink Gold Peach.

The Koopalings felt like they had more heart and soul put into them, I don't know what happen to put in those two oddballs over someone else in the massive Mario encyclopedia.

Personally if thy wanted another lightweight, I would've put in a Sprixie and a heavy weight character I would've used Plessie (just shrink him don like they done with Bowser). It's kinda odd that this game doesn't have too references from 3D World except for the Potted Piranha Plant item

They both had extremely short development times, and they wanted to round out the roster, but couldn't do full new characters. Pink Gold peach simply uses a modified version of metal Mario's shader, and otherwise has only a few small things to alter, and with Baby Rosa, the female babies all have the same base, and it took very little time to modify, since its essentialy a kitbash between her adult model, and baby peach 

Once again, don't jump to the gun, and think that they are there in place of another character, they are there because they have extremely short development times, and they wanted to give us another racer or two, and didn't have the time, or budget to develop 2 more full characters

That's a reason I think we will be getting at least dlc characters, because they get their own individual time budget, and Nintendo proably realizes they are short a few characters, and adding them would not only keep interest up, but keep a realitively small cost as well

Also great review

It's kinda weird, isn't it - Mario Kart 8 is the most fleshed out game in the series for the most part, but you also get the feeling it's been rushed out the door a bit earlier than expected to cushion the Wii U's fall. The anti-gravity, the brilliant new tracks, the level of polish in the graphics, the huge number of vehicle parts to collect... they all scream "biggest and best Mario Kart ever!". But the somewhat lacking roster and disappointing-looking Battle Mode suggest it wasn't quite given the time it fully needed. Unless I'm completing overestimating Nintendo's devotion to the franchise, I'm sure they wouldn't have chosen to do Battle Mode the way they have here - or, if they did, they'd at least have the decency to create one or two original arenas for it rather than simply adjusting pre-existing tracks. And I'm sure Pink Gold Peach and Baby Rosalina are time-saving measures, too. Either that or they have big plans ahead for all things metallic and juvenile. Of course, this is all just speculation, maybe I've got my rose-tinted glasses on a bit here.

On the plus side though, if they plan on supporting this game for up to a year after it launches, there's every possibility that they can take note of the fan reactions and remedy these shortcomings with updates and DLC - and possibly get a bit more money to counteract the Wii U's losses up to this point in the process, too.

• Thumbs Up 2

"The Mario Kart series' battle arenas were designed to funnel players into each other, but now you'll spend long stretches of time without even catching sight of a potential target as you trek round the circuit," Edge says.

I knew it, I freaking knew it. This is EXACTLY what I said earlier in the topic, this is literally my worst fear for the game come to light, I'm not impressed at the hacked up battle mode at all, I actually would have preferred Nintendo to just add Multiplayer racing and the addition of Grand Prix multiplayer in it's place and offered 5 player local than put this useless battle mode into the game, they could easily have polished off a fantastic battle mode with new arenas, retro arena's from past games and implemented some crazy zero gravity into them as a DLC add-on later on.

This has tarnished my view of the game more than I wish it did if I'm being completely honest. 

It will bother me if this game doesn't get DLC but yet Mario Golf World tour does.

It will bother me if this game doesn't get DLC but yet Mario Golf World tour does.

I'm sure it will. It's more a question of "what and when?" rather than "if?", if Nintendo's plan to spread out the promotion for a whole year is anything to go by.

Wow, EDGE is usually really fecking harsh against games but a 9/10 is great! Shame about the battle stages though. I loved playing those on Mario Kart Wii and knowing that they're not great in this Mario Kart disappoints me so much.

But meh character roster and lame battle stages aside, this may be the best Mario Kart game in ages! Some DLC for extra characters and stages would be great too, so I hope we get some.

Although I never play Battle Mode in the Mario Kart series, I do feel the pain of those who was hoping for Nintendo to put more effort into that mode, since, from what you guys are saying, Battle Mode hasn't been good since Double Dash.

Anyway, May 30th needs to arrive now.

Mario kart Wii battle was not bad. I had too much fun on that mode when playing online mode. Yes, being on teams was not the greatest but the addition of 12 players made it even better. It's pure epicness, at least I thought it was.

MK7 battle mode was okay, but boring, with only 8 people, but what made it better was that it was free for all so it was nice to be alone and not be  punish by really bad players or some that don't even try on your teams

Mk8 has free for all.......has 12 players. Already sounds awesome. *Race tracks as battle stages*  Grrrrr we almost had it. why oh why. Battle mode was something were I can easily jump to my next victim, because I alwasy aim the people with the high scores, it's sometimes already hard enough to hit them, now we have to play search and destroy? Ugh.

My dream battle settings is 

12 players

Free for all

Elimination

Stage: Cookie Land (GCN)

DLC don't fail me now.

I feel like a year-long marketing push could mean DLC, and I hope it does. That could easily correct the battle mode and roster issues. 

• Thumbs Up 3