Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 (Wii-U)

Nintendoga

Well I hope the parts STAY at 50 coins to unlock ever new part and don't jump up to 100 or 200/250, then eventually 500 etc. Because it's a cheap way of getting us to replay the game...

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I hope the parts STAY at 50 coins to unlock ever new part and don't jump up to 100 or 200/250, then eventually 500 etc. Because it's a cheap way of getting us to replay the game...

Exactly. I can totally deal with 50 coin unlocks, that's only 5 perfect races per new vehicle part which seems reasonable enough. I'd like to think they can't make the margins between unlocks quite as large as in MK7 mainly due to the fact that we've got what, nearly 50 parts to unlock this time? MK7 had a lot less than that I'm sure. If they make the gaps too large, most people will only have about half the available parts to use, and I'm sure Nintendo wants to let people experience as much as possible.

I'm tempted to say Nintendo don't really give a toss as long as they get our money, they pulled that shit with MK7, so why not be another repeat offender? Just look at these requirements for MK7.

• The Beast Glider can be unlocked by collecting 5,000 coins, but if players earn kart parts with the StreetPass feature, the amount of coins needed to unlock it will decrease.
  • The Gold Glider can be unlocked by making a minimum of 100 StreetPass connections, or by collecting 10,000 coins.
  • The Gold Tires are unlocked by obtaining a minimum of one star ranking in all cups of every engine class, or by collecting 15,000 coins.
  • The Gold Standard can be unlocked by obtaining at least 10,000 VR, or by collecting 20,000 coins.

Are you fucking kidding me?

I'm tempted to say Nintendo don't really give a toss as long as they get our money, they pulled that shit with MK7, so why not be another repeat offender? Just look at these requirements for MK7.

True, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if some of the later unlocks are ridiculously high at least, but on the whole they seem to be improving on some of the mad requirements from MK7 - we already know we can unlock some characters without having to resort to 150cc Grand Prix modes, so that's a start. My main gripe with MK7 was I never felt a real sense of achievement and progression because, a few vehicle parts and Mii aside, you unlocked basically nothing for ages if you just started at 50cc and worked your way up to the higher difficulties. So while I'm disappointed that the coin thing hasn't been entirely improved - and still insists on being random unlocks, what's wrong with a shop eh? - as long as it is a step in the right direction and I feel compelled to keep on playing, I won't mind it too much.

Quick Question: Will the car customization apply for everyone, specific players only, or be grouped by weight class? 

Works as in 7. Each part has its own set of stat boosters that increase or decrease the set character weight stats.

So everyone.

Even though I managed to get all mario kart 7 parts. It kinda felt like a chore. That game did not last long for me.

This game seems like the next mario kart Wii were I can play over and over and over again. And still have so much fun. I still don't like the idea of getting that much coins. But I think it'll be the least of my problems.

And the gold combinations were not even that great of a vehicle. So It felt like i did all those coin collecting just have parts to show off. to racers, that I have played that many.

Lets face it, were gonna spend hours in this game when we get it right? At least it'll be fun doing it this time around.

Player point of view of Cloudtop cruise and Bones dry dunes. Looking good and fast too. Anyone think this game fast? It's like its over 150cc. Who would like if there was a 200cc?

http://youtu.be/jw_zkltb0hg

http://youtu.be/kY7HoORot84

Baby daisy got some new voices like "here we go" I never heard her say that so correct me if this is old.

Massive one hour long Q&A session from GameXplain, no doubt some interesting details in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BNSMaOzPSM

Summary:

- previously confirmed 30 characters appears to be the full roster (excluding any potential DLC)

- characters unlocked by completing Grand Prix cups in 1st place

- vehicle parts randomly unlock every 50 coins (at least up until around the 400 mark)

- 8 Battle stages based on existing tracks, no exclusive arenas

- no boost after Lakitu drops you back on the track

- Mirror mode accessible right away in the VS options

- more personality than Mario Kart 7

- every character can use every kart

- Koopalings need to be unlocked

- all Battle mode tracks available from the start

- mini-map can only be viewed on the GamePad

- custom item selection in VS and Battle modes

- cannot change the number of laps per track in VS mode

- Super Horn is a rare item but does appear when in 1st place

- start in random positions around the track in Battle mode

- staff ghosts are available from the start in Time Trials

- review embargo lifts sometime in the middle of May (possibly 15th)

• Thumbs Up 2

Gold parts weren't that bad. Yes, the handling was middling and off-road terrible, but the speed and acceleration are pretty good. I use gold standard quite a bit, after regular standard.

If this game has golden parts, you can bet I'll be getting them within a year if not earlier.

As for the tracks, while Rainbow Road isn't the best, I can see myself playing it quite often. But the tracks I can see myself returning to most are Toad Harbour and Shy Guy Falls.

Massive one hour long Q&A session from GameXplain, no doubt some interesting details in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BNSMaOzPSM

Haven't listened to it myself yet but will summarise any key info here as and when I do.

Been watching it and

ANY CHARACTER CAN RIDE IN ANY KART! 

he mentions putting Bowser in a parakid XD

• Thumbs Up 1

It kinda sucks you still get coins from item boxes even when you max out. After hearing him say he got the coins 3 times in a row in first place, I feel like that coin is going to be annoying. oh well.

he mentions putting Bowser in a parakid XD

...this is going to be the best Mario Kart ever wub.png

• Thumbs Up 1

For visual reference, here are tournament options.

So I'm guessing the private public tournaments are the equivalent of a community in this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, so that Gamexplain video just shot down the possibility of unlockable characters. Guess that roster we've seen was final. Not a huge deal for me at all, but I'm sure a few of you guys are heavily disappointed.

Also glad to hear that the game doesn't suffer from frame drops at all. Very impressive.

I almost never touch Battle Mode in the Mario Kart games, so what they did there has no affect on me

Buh, shame to hear that it's the final roster as I was expecting one or two more secret characters.

Oh well, that won't hamper my enjoyment of the game. But there better be some DLC characters!

• Thumbs Up 1

Buh, shame to hear that it's the final roster as I was expecting one or two more secret characters.

Oh well, that won't hamper my enjoyment of the game. But there better be some DLC characters!

I would think that there are going to be myself, just because it isn't obvious doesn't mean that there aren't, I mean Pikmin 3 wasn't obvious and had to be accessed through the eshop, who's to say it wont be activated via patch or activates a different menu 

I do say though that there is an extremely HIGH chance it would be announced at E3

How do you even not have Bowser Jr

I understand he isn't exactly a fantastic specimen, but he's kind of been a staple since Double Dash. Maybe DLC?

• Thumbs Up 1

The online options for this game are looking pretty good (makes me wish transformed had all this to make my life easier in finding people).

Updated my previous post with a summary of the GameXplain Q&A, here it is again just in case people don't want to scroll back up:

- previously confirmed 30 characters appears to be the full roster (excluding any potential DLC)

- characters unlocked by completing Grand Prix cups in 1st place

- vehicle parts randomly unlock every 50 coins (at least up until around the 400 mark)

- 8 Battle stages based on existing tracks, no exclusive arenas

- no boost after Lakitu drops you back on the track

- Mirror mode accessible right away in the VS options

- more personality than Mario Kart 7

- every character can use every kart

- Koopalings need to be unlocked

- all Battle mode tracks available from the start

- mini-map can only be viewed on the GamePad

- custom item selection in VS and Battle modes

- cannot change the number of laps per track in VS mode

- Super Horn is a rare item but does appear when in 1st place

- start in random positions around the track in Battle mode

- staff ghosts are available from the start in Time Trials

- review embargo lifts sometime in the middle of May (possibly 15th)

How do you even not have Bowser Jr

I understand he isn't exactly a fantastic specimen, but he's kind of been a staple since Double Dash. Maybe DLC?

I'd hardly call Bowser Jr a "staple". Sure, he was in Mario Kart Wii, but he wasn't in Mario Kart 7, so only being in two out of eight Mario Kart games doesn't really make him recurring character material. The same could be said for Birdo - in Double Dash and Wii, then dropped in 7 and 8. But the main reason I think Bowser Jr was left out this time, as well as Dry Bones and Dry Bowser, is simply because we've got the Koopalings - having any other Koopa-based characters would feel a bit much, and especially in Bowser Jr's case, take away from the novelty of the Koopalings being there and billed as Bowser's underlings.

I'm sure we'll see some form of DLC for Mario Kart 8 though if the game turns out to be the roaring success Nintendo is hoping for. They know there's some fan favourite characters still out there, and people will no doubt be willing to pay for them. It's a no brainer.

• Thumbs Up 1

If this game doesn't have DLC, then it'll be a case of Nintendo going one step forward, two steps back. Why would you not have DLC with your biggest hitter for half a year?

If this game doesn't have DLC, then it'll be a case of Nintendo going one step forward, two steps back. Why would you not have DLC with your biggest hitter for half a year?

It'll be announced during their E3 presentation, I'm betting. That's only, what, 11 days after the game launches - Iwata will have a little section where he says something like "I hope you're all enjoying Mario Kart 8 which we launched recently, how many characters have you unlocked so far? All of them? Well, get ready for some more! As of *insert date here* you'll be able to download *insert characters here* for just *insert price here*!"

Who knows, they may even tie it into some of the big announcements they've got lined up for the show. For instance, if there's a new Mario game (be it main or spin-off) revealed, a character related to that might also be revealed as DLC for MK8 as part of a joint promotion. Or maybe even some crossover stuff... you all know you'd pay to see Link riding an Epona kart with a Loftwing or Deku Leaf glider alongside Mario and his chums to coincide with the (hopefully inevitable) Zelda Wii U reveal!

It'll be announced during their E3 presentation, I'm betting. That's only, what, 11 days after the game launches - Iwata will have a little section where he says something like "I hope you're all enjoying Mario Kart 8 which we launched recently, how many characters have you unlocked so far? All of them? Well, get ready for some more! As of *insert date here* you'll be able to download *insert characters here* for just *insert price here*!"

Who knows, they may even tie it into some of the big announcements they've got lined up for the show. For instance, if there's a new Mario game (be it main or spin-off) revealed, a character related to that might also be revealed as DLC for MK8 as part of a joint promotion. Or maybe even some crossover stuff... you all know you'd pay to see Link riding an Epona kart with a Loftwing or Deku Leaf glider alongside Mario and his chums to coincide with the (hopefully inevitable) Zelda Wii U reveal!

eh that's the one thing I doubt it has been repeatedly said by the developers that MK will NOT be having characters from other francises and is Solely for Mario and Mario related(wario and DK) characters, not for other francises cause then it would be Nintendo kart not Mario kart 

eh that's the one thing I doubt it has been repeatedly said by the developers that MK will NOT be having characters from other francises and is Solely for Mario and Mario related(wario and DK) characters, not for other francises cause then it would be Nintendo kart not Mario kart 

Oh yeah I don't actually think it'll happen, but on a one-off single character basis, you never know. We got Yoshi's Island and The Legend of Zelda in a Sonic game of all things, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility even if the odds are heavily stacked against it.