Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Not to doubt any hype for the 29th... but, what proof do we actually have of them announcing things on the 29th? We already thought they were showing a teaser several days ago, and that never happened lol.

Just don't wanna get my hopes up... again.

As above, this is what SEGA said on Facebook:

Six will rise from the Lost World. Are they friends or foes? Find out on May 29th.

So yeah, get your hopes up for news! biggrin.png The only thing is, we don't know exactly what news. Will they just reveal these guys, or will it be a full announcement of the game complete with a press release, logo and maybe screenshots and/or a trailer? I'm guessing that this will be the formal unveiling of the game considering it will have been about two weeks since it was announced on Nintendo Direct, and E3 will be just around the corner. 

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not saying the series has never been serious in the past; even before the Adventure games there was a sense of an underlying threat. However, I don't the judgmental attitude towards this game that its automatically "kiddy" based on design alone. Now if its skepticism based on the last two games then sure, but basing the entire tone of a game on no information beside silhouette's just seems superfluous to me. 

Like you said, I tend to judge "kiddy" based more on writing quality than design.

Well of course; I'm not defending Riverstone's argument so much as putting my two cents in. =P It's extremely easy to make the argument that a specifically kid-oriented direction is not the way Sonic should go, because the label leaves out things that are inherent about the franchise's appeal.

Umm... I only think that our colleagues work better than SEGA?

OBJECTION!

BiF1nDw.jpg

So wait, is this a fan-render or is this official?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's by Omnitrix. 

Ah, figures SEGA would not make a render that good.

Nice CGI but what does that fan render has anything to do with the discussion?
I'd wager that since the discussion is about Sonic Lost World and this excellent fan work is about Sonic Lost World the similarities are obvious?
  • Thumbs Up 4

I agree. While SEGA's recent CGI work is mostly stale and fan-work can be awesome when well-made, it's really petty to make claims about who does it better. It's not a contest, so why make it so? 

And this is coming from someone who finds the fan-render just 'okay.'

Edited by DarkLight
  • Thumbs Up 2

I love the idea that a fan making one single good render means Sega has actually never made a good one and thus they need to learn anything from us. Maybe we could stand to learn some humility in return and be able to appreciate the art coming from both sources without turning it into an idiotic contest.

Actually it's been a while since SEGA made a better render than those of that fan (Omnitrix). And he made MUCH more renders than a "single one".

And I DO appreciate both official and fan made renders. The thing is, recent fan made renders ARE better than most of the official ones. Let's call a spade a spade, OK?

And just saying... Discussing this now at least adds something more exact and to the point than making one frigging hundred pages of discussion about a piece of artwork and some obscure silhouettes.

Edited by ArtFenix

The silhouettes are actually relevant to the game proper though.

Actually it's been a while since SEGA made a better render than those of that fan (Omnitrix). And he made MUCH more renders than a "single one".

And I DO appreciate both official and fan made renders. The thing is, recent fan made renders ARE better than most of the official ones. Let's call a spade a spade, OK?

And just saying... Discussing this now at least adds something more exact and to the point than making one frigging hundred pages of discussion about a piece of artwork and some obscure silhouettes.

Except that wasn't the point she was making. You're trying to make it seem like its some type of competition between the fans and Sega on who can make something better when it isn't. Just because some fans can do some amazing things doesn't make them automatically better than Sega.

Ololo SEGA, time to learn from your own fans how to make renders!

I don't think making Sonic look jaundiced would be an improvement. Also his mouth looks almost vertical, what.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Except that wasn't the point she was making. You're trying to make it seem like its some type of competition between the fans and Sega on who can make something better when it isn't. Just because some fans can do some amazing things doesn't make them automatically better than Sega.

I'm not saying SEGA can't make such amazing renders. They just don't. That's all. It's not a competition but in my humble opinion it's a shame that recent official renders look the same with one-two poses with small changes while fan-made renders have much more put into them and just become better and better. I really think SEGA could and should learn that the "work" part in the word "artwork" is not for nothing. SEGA seem to forget that and put little to no effort in Sonic renders.

At least their 2D artwork is still awesome.

There's nothing particularly special about that render though, aside from the fact that a fan did it. Forced perspective and yellow back lighting are pretty much Secret Rings tier. It's nice, but it doesn't have any qualities absent from Sega's entire library of renders. If anything, the promotional and situational renders of Sonic from Unleashed and Colors were more interesting.

• Thumbs Up 6

There's nothing particularly special about that render though, aside from the fact that a fan did it. Forced perspective and yellow back lighting are pretty much Secret Rings tier. It's nice, but it doesn't have any qualities absent from Sega's entire library of renders. If anything, the promotional and situational renders of Sonic from Unleashed and Colors were more interesting.

To be fair, I think he's speaking of recent renders like the Sonic 4 ones.

So here's a rough idea of what I think the guardians look like (sorry for relatively subpar art):

LNu9ADw.jpg

In hindsight, Staff Rider had a moustache. I didn't see the wispy bit on top of his head either, and thought his moustache was part of his stick.

And ths scene needs to be in the game goddamnit!

• Thumbs Up 5