Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Except there's a problem with having a hub world where you can run 300 mph in, as Unleashed also highlights. Once you hit a certain running threshold, turning can be a pain even with the drift if you're wanting something more precise.

The Adventures were closest in doing a fine job with it since you could do some more precise turning. However, it should also be noted that the Adventures were far slower than Unleashed as far as insane speed goes.

Jesus, this topic's on page 102?! blink.png 

Also I agree that its a good thing that Sonic is such a colourful and bright game series, its what drew me to the franchise playing those classic Mega Drive games. Screw those who think that its too childish, Call Of Duty attracts a mainly teenage audience whereas games like Mario and Sonic appeal to everyone from the age of 6 to 60. Hell Sonic still has a shit ton of fans from the early 90's who have never left him. 

Agreed. The series should remain light hearted and colourful and not take itself too seriously. So what if it makes it "kiddy"? It was always meant to be like that since the first game!

Agreed. The series should remain light hearted and colourful and not take itself too seriously. So what if it makes it "kiddy"? It was always meant to be like that since the first game!

I would honestly say that the impression I always got, even from the originals, is that it's supposed to be a child-friendly series with deeper meanings behind it. Wasn't the whole original concept behind Sonic 1 technology gone mad/used badly vs nature/technology used responsibly? There's always been deeper meanings behind Sonic games, the issue is how best to tell them.

• Thumbs Up 1

looks like i caused some instant rage. The genesis games werent as kiddy as colours/generations. like the above poster said, there was always a deeper meaning behind the games, plus, the threats in the genesis games seemed geniune.

i understand sega think kiddy sells games. but cmon, theres a line that shouldnt be crossed. those rayman looking creatures, stupid corny jokes from colours and gimpy ass story lines are crossing the line in my opinion. theres good kiddy (like pixar) and bad kiddy (like hotel castlevania).

also, i loved the lost world concept art. looked awesome. the picture of the guradians has made me feel blugh. ill be happy with a sonic unleashed style. it was a pretty good medium.

Edited by Riverstone
  • Thumbs Up 1

I dunno man, Rayman isn't exactly "kiddy" as far as kids games go, it's full of crude jokes and have you seen the breasts and butts in that game? Honestly Rayman has more in common with Ren & Stimpy than it has in common with kiddy things so I'm not sure why you dislike any Rayman vibe these guys might give off. I would say give them a chance before you judge them off silhouettes too.

• Thumbs Up 9

looks like i caused some instant rage. The genesis games werent as kiddy as colours/generations. like the above poster said, there was always a deeper meaning behind the games, plus, the threats in the genesis games seemed geniune.

i understand sega think kiddy sells games. but cmon, theres a line that shouldnt be crossed. those rayman looking creatures, stupid corny jokes from colours and gimpy ass story lines are crossing the line in my opinion. theres good kiddy (like pixar) and bad kiddy (like hotel castlevania).

also, i loved the lost world concept art. looked awesome. the picture of the guradians has made me feel blugh. ill be happy with a sonic unleashed style. it was a pretty good medium.

Okay. I'm not gonna amplify this...

Guys. Maybe we should all just wait until the 29th. This is getting...really ridiculous now seriously. Just...God.

So changing the conversation.....What do you guys think about the Tornado?

Mini-games incoming? like in Unleashed maybe?

I think its kinda safe to assume that we're gonna use it to trave laround since the planet isn't full.

Another thing that came to mind. We're gonna have an order on which location we're gonna do? or they might let us travel how we like.

Pretty sure the Green/Forest/etc stage will come first but after that?

I think it might be like Colours where there's a definitive first stage, then two/three other areas are unlocked and you can go to them in whatever order you want, then the last ones are unlocked, then the final stage.

Or they'll do something else entirely, just going off of what they've done in the past here.

I think it'll just be in an opening cutscene when they go to the planet and the ending cutscene when they leave.

So changing the conversation.....What do you guys think about the Tornado?

Mini-games incoming? like in Unleashed maybe?

I'll give Sega the benefit of the doubt and say they got rid of the QTE's from Unleashed. If anything I expect it to be some hybrid of the Sky chase acts from Sonic 2 and Adventure 1.

Best case scenario: Flying missions Starfox style.

That would be neat.

Don't hold your breath.

• Thumbs Up 9

That would be neat.

Don't hold your breath.

I'll cross my fingers on that instead.smile.png

• Thumbs Up 1

That would be neat.

Don't hold your breath.

Needs moar lieks!!!

Seriously though, I'm not sure what to expect with the tornado. If we get a stage like Unleashed....but with starfox style. I would enjoy that alot. If it's just a cutscene, I'd be fine with it. Mainly because that may be the safest way to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't expect the Tornado to be in anything resembling gameplay. Maybe in some sort of stage select like Unleashed's, but that's it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Best case scenario: Flying missions Starfox style. That would be neat.   ...   Don't hold your breath.
That'd be very cool. Speaking of Star Fox though, is it clear how involved Nintendo is with this game? Does this "partnership" just give Nintendo exclusivity or are they actively participating in Lost World's development?
  • Thumbs Up 1

What's really throwing me off is the structure of the world being plain level tropes combined with chaotic hexagon-shaped landmasses. It could lead to some very interesting concepts if done right, but considering the typical limits of Sonic's gameplay and the amount of development Sega typically have I'm drawing a blank on anywhere they could take this that would be feasible. Considering how scared Sega are of risking backlash, I'm not even sure what kind of fresh gameplay this could entail that wouldn't piss people off who are happy with the current gameplay style from Colours and Generations. I do want Sega to explore new ideas, I'm just worried where that may lead.

Edited by EuroMIX

I  wouldn't be surprised if the game used the Unleashed/Colours/Generations gameplay with more 3D Elements but I think its time to go for a fully 3D title again personally. 

Speaking of Star Fox though, is it clear how involved Nintendo is with this game? Does this "partnership" just give Nintendo exclusivity or are they actively participating in Lost World's development?

The original point of the program Nintendo's running is to allow other developers to borrow people within Nintendo to help with game development. It's not been directly confirmed, but SEGA was one of the key parties that joined the program early on... combined with this exclusivity deal, I'd say it's guarenteed that this is joint produced with some of Nintendo's staff.

Sonic's the perfect experiment for mixing talent from SEGA and Nintendo, they'd be silly to not have taken them up on it. Even if it's just a bunch of people for quality assurance to overlook all the gamebreaking exploits.

Okay, Riverstone, I don't think your wording things correctly here. You claim it was the silhouettes that set you off. Are you sure you just  don't like the wackiness and different style of the guardians? However if that's not the case, and you simply find it bad that the series is kiddy, You might wanna look for some other series.

Edited by KoalaPoop

Not to doubt any hype for the 29th... but, what proof do we actually have of them announcing things on the 29th? We already thought they were showing a teaser several days ago, and that never happened lol.

Just don't wanna get my hopes up... again.

Not to doubt any hype for the 29th... but, what proof do we actually have of them announcing things on the 29th? We already thought they were showing a teaser several days ago, and that never happened lol.

Just don't wanna get my hopes up... again.

They've confirmed it via twitter, same place we got the "guardians" image.

• Thumbs Up 1

Define Genuine? No, for the love of god, I'm sick of hearing this shit. What about the old genesis games where the threats felt "genuine" what is genuine? Give me a specific example of what you're talking about because you're being vague and how its apparently more "adult" than what we have now.

What line is that? A few badly written jokes, and some exaggerated proportions suddenly makes the entire series as goofy as loony tunes? Does that fact that the main playable cast consist of multicolored animals never occurred to you? But apparently, that doesn't count as "kiddy" so please tell me what is the difference between what we had in the past compared to these characters and how its more "kiddy" and why its apparently some unholy sin.

Response in bold. I'm really sick of people coming into this topic and saying "BAWW KIDDY" and not giving any good reason why. If you feel its kiddy, then fucking tell us instead of just trying to stir people up.