Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Semi-colon e, on 04 May 2013 - 08:24, said:At least one person I know was misled by the title, believing it to be a remake of Sonic 1 and bought it without doing his research the instant the game came out.

And it did make Platinum Hits as well didn't it...?

You know the sad thing? I first heard about this game way back in 2005 in an EGM magazine. They said it was going to be a remake of Sonic 1. I kid you not.

To be fair, Well when you use the exact same name as a Classic, it probably would be very easy to mix the two up.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can name a hell of a lot of Sonic games with dialogue that far outstrips SONIC '06 both in terms of general endearingness and being true to characterization and series tone. In fact I think all of them with the exception of piss-poor Chronicles, whose writers didn't know what the flying fuck they were doing and "Tries so hard to be badass and serious business but comes off as dumbass and trying-too-hard instead" Shadow the Hedgehog are superior to '06.

Pathos? Unleashed and the Storybook games have it, having characters who are interesting and likable and therefore makes it easier to get invested in their situations. '06 is devoid of it.

Humor? Even Colours' unsubtle and immature take on it was leagues ahead of anything '06 put out. With '06, the humor derived from it's cutscenes is so frequently unintentional that it cements how god-awfully written it was and how it utterly fails at getting across it's tone in any competent way. It shows the tiniest glimpses of comedy in the Sonic FMV's but they're so fleeting that they turn out to be mystifying examples of "Why wasn't this done more?"

Sadness? Often maudlin and overdone. Whilst the story does has potentially compelling themes of loss, the writing is again so incompetent that it's a massive missed opportunity and the characters are so flat that it is hard, even impossible to get invested in their woes. You don't feel upset by the death of any one character because either they're completely faceless (The researchers), don't have their character developed to any real degree (Duke Soleanna) or you know by the nature of story progression that they're not going to stay dead (Elise, Eggman, Sonic)

• Thumbs Up 6

o_O Then what do you mean when you say "Modern games"?

In addition to the main three titles, the Sonic Storybook Series, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Free Riders, Sonic Rush Adventure, and the handheld versions of Colors and Generations. In short, pretty much every Sonic game released after Sonic 2006.

Yeah, but even if there's hundred of characters in the background, and Sonic doesn't talk to them, it feels like he is alone. Take Generations: they gathered massive crowd of characters, not only from present time, but also from the past, and even from another, cancelled timeline. Feels like plot really, desperately needed them, huh? And in the end not only Sonic doesn't really talk to them, they don't even talk to each other! Even the ones that considered to be partners, like Chaotix, or Silver&Blaze, doesn't communicate!

At the end of the day, however, Sonic Generations still had character interactions, however miniscule they are, so praising Sonic 2006 for having it, when the majority of Sonic titles also have it to varying degrees, is rather silly and unnecessary.

Edited by Komodin
  • Thumbs Up 2

None of the characters in '06 interact in any way that makes me give a shit about them, and simply having interactions doesn't make me place it any higher than games that don't.

• Thumbs Up 5

It sold well enough to get a platnium edition, if that's any indicator.

11499.jpg

It's hard to gauge without knowing exactly how much money was dumped into the game, though. It's tempting to guess at "not much", but there's too much guesswork involved to say it in good confidence. Obvious QA issues aside, of course.

The game's "Platinum Family Hits" status means that the game sold 400,000+ copies commercially.  That's actually pretty fortunate considering the game initially sold just 38,000 copies after two weeks of release in the States.  Y'know for a mainstream Sonic title on the home console, that is pretty pathetic.  

Also, from a business point, 400,000 copies sold within the first year is considered unacceptable for a Sonic game; considering that Sonic titles, main series, handheld, spin-off, or otherwise, tend to sell at least over 1 million.  Even Shadow the Hedgehog managed to hit the landmark!

I think when character raises his voice to say something epic - this is pathos. And your evidence is based on itself.

Oh, I don't like these skyscraper posts a have to make...

Then 1) your definition of pathos is still wrong and 2) that basically never happens in 06, because nothing anybody says in that game is epic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do we go through this everytime somebody said that they like the plot and writing in 06? As long as they don't bash on other games then I don't care if they enjoy it.

Why do we go through this everytime somebody said that they like the plot and writing in 06? As long as they don't bash on other games then I don't care if they enjoy it.

Because....their reasonings behind why they like it don't tend to make a lot of sense? Or aren't explained all that well? I don't know.

Edited by Special Operative Blaire

That is so offensively biased and insulting, but it is hilarious and has some truth to it so I'm gonna give that a like. :lol:

Because when somebody says they love to eat shit, you just leave them alone and let them eat their shit.

But then they start talking about how great shit tastes and it gets on peoples' nerves.

THEN they start calling others wrong for not eating shit and that everyone else must hate eating because shit is delicious.

By this point, someone has already spoken up about how shit is not good to eat.

That has to be the most beautiful analogy of Sonic 06 I've ever read.  1000 internets to you.

In addition to the main three titles, the Sonic Storybook Series, Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity, Sonic Free Riders, Sonic Rush Adventure, and the handheld versions of Colors and Generations. In short, pretty much every Sonic game released after Sonic 2006.

IMO not all the games after 2006 could be considered Modern Era. Modern Era is not a period of time, but rather an artwork and gameplay style combination.

The signs of Modern Era are:

- boost

- barebone/lighthearted plot

- half-retro character redesigns

- Sonic-only gameplay

- Retro Era elements in gameplay and design (side-scrolling level sections, Tails' red plane)

Therefore Modern Era is Unleashed, Colors, Sonic 4, Generations.

Storybook, Riders, Rush, Chronicles are just last relics of Adventure Era. Yep, Black Knight had modern Sonic design, and Rushes had boost, but it was the only modern elements in these games.

Recently I even thought that there are not three Sonic game eras, but only two: games that are nostalgic about the past at the moment of their release, and the ones that aren't.

At the end of the day, however, Sonic Generations still had character interactions, however miniscule they are, so praising Sonic 2006 for having it, when the majority of Sonic titles also have it to varying degrees, is rather silly and unnecessary.

That's a bit of a problem.

And it's not only about how many character interactions there are in game, or how long they last, but it's also about what information they contain. 10-second dialogue about something that matters, like in-game lore, or character mutual relations, would be much more valuable than a one minute chat about ice cream or new cute-looking alien race nobody cares about. And if dialog contains important plot-building information that player can't get anywhere else, it's also very nice. I can only dream about such things though.

The game's "Platinum Family Hits" status means that the game sold 400,000+ copies commercially. That's actually pretty fortunate considering the game initially sold just 38,000 copies after two weeks of release in the States. Y'know for a mainstream Sonic title on the home console, that is pretty pathetic.

Also, from a business point, 400,000 copies sold within the first year is considered unacceptable for a Sonic game; considering that Sonic titles, main series, handheld, spin-off, or otherwise, tend to sell at least over 1 million. Even Shadow the Hedgehog managed to hit the landmark!

Someone on SSMB used to say Sonic2006 sold better than Generations.

Because when somebody says they love to eat shit, you just leave them alone and let them eat their shit.

But then they start talking about how great shit tastes and it gets on peoples' nerves.

THEN they start calling others wrong for not eating shit and that everyone else must hate eating because shit is delicious.

By this point, someone has already spoken up about how shit is not good to eat.

Oh, it reminds me about the times Unleashed and Colors were released. ArtFenix was like "Sonic Unleashed... Pixar humans and boring music. I asked at SSMB about it, but everyone there likes everything, and nobody's not even a little worried. What a horrible feeling."

Edited by crystallize

That's a bit of a problem.

And it's not only about how many character interactions there are in game, or how long they last, but it's also about what information they contain. 10-second dialogue about something that matters, like in-game lore, or character mutual relations, would be much more valuable than a one minute chat about ice cream or new cute-looking alien race nobody cares about. And if dialog contains important plot-building information that player can't get anywhere else, it's also very nice. I can only dream about such things though.

Ultimately, however, praising Sonic 2006 for having character interactions at all is just plain silly. It doesn't help that the interactions themselves are so boring.

Someone on SSMB used to say Sonic2006 sold better than Generations.

... Yeah, I think you should cite your sources on this claim.

Oh, it reminds me about the times Unleashed and Colors were released. ArtFenix was like "Sonic Unleashed... Pixar humans and boring music. I asked at SSMB about it, but everyone there likes everything, and nobody's worried as much as I am. What a horrible feeling."

Okay, I'll be blunt: why the heck should I care what he thinks?

• Thumbs Up 5

This is technically about the Archie comics, but it's about '06 too, so I'll bring it up here:

Has anyone noticed how '06 didn't really get any sort of tie-in in the comics? Sure, elements of '06 are brought up in the Encyclopedia. But, it never got any sort of in-comic plug or short story, when it came out. Do you suppose this was done on purpose?

I distinctly remember that Shadow the Hedgehog didn't get a direct tie-in, because Ian Flynn argued that the game was unsuitable for comic's target demographic. But, instead, Shadow got an entire issue that centered on him, with him saying at the very end, "This is WHO I AM." So, obviously, it was meant to fill-in for a direct tie-in.

But '06, on the other hand.... absolutely nothing. Very strange.

It did get a tie in. Eggman mentioned that the controls were awful and that he should've spent more time on development. The end.

I@M FUNNEY WRIGHT

Edited by Spin Attaxx
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is technically about the Archie comics, but it's about '06 too, so I'll bring it up here:

Has anyone noticed how '06 didn't really get any sort of tie-in in the comics? Sure, elements of '06 are brought up in the Encyclopedia. But, it never got any sort of in-comic plug or short story, when it came out. Do you suppose this was done on purpose?

I distinctly remember that Shadow the Hedgehog didn't get a direct tie-in, because Ian Flynn argued that the game was unsuitable for comic's target demographic. But, instead, Shadow got an entire issue that centered on him, with him saying at the very end, "This is WHO I AM." So, obviously, it was meant to fill-in for a direct tie-in.

But '06, on the other hand.... absolutely nothing. Very strange.

A game that is completely and utterly panned by pretty much everyone did not get direct references in a spinoff work that would only serve to remind people of how bad it was and make the franchise they're a part of look bad... to be honest, that's not all that surprising to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the lag time for some of the adaptions... its completely possible that one will still be coming out soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath for much more than what Sonic Rush Adventure got though. I was disapointed with that one, but its probably for the best in regards to 06.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Considering the lag time for some of the adaptions... its completely possible that one will still be coming out soon.

It's seven years too late for an adaption, don't you think?

Not two, or three, but SEVEN. There's no point to it now, especially with the rep it has.

A game that is completely and utterly panned by pretty much everyone did not get direct references in a spinoff work that would only serve to remind people of how bad it was and make the franchise they're a part of look bad... to be honest, that's not all that surprising to me.

Then why did Shadow get an obvious nod? That's what's confusing me,

Edited by Chaos Controller

Gave him a reason to be more like his game persona by having him stop working for Eggman and went to go work for GUN.

Edited by DarkLight

Then why did Shadow get an obvious nod? That's what's confusing me,

Shadow isn't known for being The Game That (almost) Killed The Hedgehog though.

That and it's a much better game than '06. Not that it's saying much.

Edited by Spin Attaxx

It's seven years too late for an adaption, don't you think?

Not two, or three, but SEVEN. There's no point to it now, especially with the rep it has.

I agree, there is no point to doing it.

I was just making a comment about how time lapse hasn't stopped Archie in the past. SA2 (2001) received a full fledged comic adaption in Sonic Universe #2 (2009). What's that? like 8 years?

Time isn't much of a factor for a potential 06 adaption.

Shadow isn't known for being The Game That (almost) Killed The Hedgehog though.

That and it's a much better game than '06. Not that it's saying much.

No arguements from me there.

And I suppose Silver being a main character is enough of a tie-in really.

I was just making a comment about how time lapse hasn't stopped Archie in the past. SA2 (2001) received a full fledged comic adaption in Sonic Universe #2 (2009). What's that? like 8 years?

Wasn't that because the last time they did it it sucked balls?

Wasn't that because the last time they did it it sucked balls?

Who knows. They probably just did it because they could and it would make money.

They actually poked fun at their own time lapse problem in that same issue...

Offpanelsonicadventure2.png

Sooo... we should be expecting an 06 adaption around 2015. tongue.png

Edited by Sega DogTagz