Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

Well, at the very least, I can be personally assured that I have a more tenable goal then those I'm railing against...or rather an actual goal.... Regardless, this has probably gone on long enough and I have a mood board to do. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. xP

Hi,  im new here and decide to put my two cents about that game.
Funny thing is, i actually liked that game when i first seen it, graphics and design was amazing for me at that time, and "realistic" robots in post apocalyptic city was cool  (which was replaced by iblis monsters, sadly),when the game released, i was angry to every review i saw, because i was blind fanboy who thinks that every sonic game is perfect, but when i actually have a "lucky" chance to play it (it was back in late 2009, i guess), i was so peesed off by load times and glitches and other stupid stuff, it took me 6 month to beat, that was first sonic game that i dont want to play for weeks, and i couldnt understand why i keep playing it, this game was so unbearable. And my opinion about that game starts to get worst and worst by years after,  little by little overshadowed by reviews and let's play's like Johnny's and Clement's, and because of some fans, who defend this game for no reason. I didnt played that game for 3 years, and in New Year i decided to beat it one again (dont know why), and, in my surprise, it took me just 1 day and a half, but that just because i knew every trick to avoid every stupid bullshit that game throws at me ( like tidies silver ball puzzle and etc), but even than there still a parts to pull my hair off.  But even if i hate this game gameplay-wise, i have to admit, that  i like some parts of desing ideas (i dont mind realistic tone, if execution were better) , dr eggman design in my opinion is awsome, but i can say that only for CG model and not for in-game one (it's so awful), i like generic egg gunners, some levels are actually cool looking (crisis city, kingdom valley) but structure was questionable though. I am not that kind of person who care about Elise kiss and how every characters are stupid idiots and overall plot been a mess, but game has some good scenes here and there in my opinion (opening, mephiles whisper and shadow story ending) , i simply didnt see problems in  it until Johnny started to pointed them out. Even if Sonic'06 would have the gratest story ever and still a glitchy mess, i wouldnt played it. In Sonic series, gameplay and level design is what matter to me at the first place. And  sonic'06 failed miserably in these aspects. Games like Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations may be not good for those who love '06, but at least in that game sonic is controlling well and has better collision detection.

What do you guys think of the Multiplayer and the DLC of the game? Or has that already been discussed?

For me, I didn't even know about the multiplayer until I got the game... in March 2012 X), and I really couldn't be bothered.  Not that my brother would play with me any way (He said he played the game once, got to Tails' section in Wave Ocean and stopped because it sucked).

As for DLC, while I couldn't be bothered with the Boss rush or harder difficulties of levels that sucked on normal, Team Attack Amigo looked interesting.  Tails got three levels with improved ground speed (that's better I guess), Blaze got the two best (by which I mean least terrible) levels in Tropical Jungle and Aquatic Base and considering how I found Blaze to be more playable than Sonic I might've enjoyed this at least, and Omega got two levels and a boss (ok?).

Anyway, I just wanna second opinion on this.

I was watching this video, and the player actually made the game look...not that bad =\

Still looks like something I would not enjoy playing though...and the Mach Speed sections still look as horrible as ever.

Edited by KrazyBean

Actually I'm curious about the team attack amigo stuff, it looked pretty interesting, and more levels with Blaze is always a good-...least bad thing about this game.

..But for some reason I keep remembering something about the PS3 NOT having it whatsoever. That would sort of suck..

Actually I'm curious about the team attack amigo stuff, it looked pretty interesting, and more levels with Blaze is always a good-...least bad thing about this game.

..But for some reason I keep remembering something about the PS3 NOT having it whatsoever. That would sort of suck..

All they basically amount to is the stages being played from their usual endings to the beginning with additional hazards placed along the way. Flight rings can have laser inside them if you're playing as Tails.

Well, the Team Attack Amigo is the best thing about this game. I got it because I was curious.  The level design isn't that bad for those stages. No hubs either and Tails is ground speed isn't horrid

The VS would be staggeringly better if we had two characters of the same caliber(Such as Sonic/Blaze or Knuckles/Rouge).(Sonic vs Silver or Red Gem vs Psyhcokinesis or The biggest stalemate)

The Co-Op isn't half bad, its one of the best things in this game(Aside from silver being able to grab Sonic) but that isn't saying much although there are only about 3 other sonic games I think of off the top of my head that has full on Co-op that has splitscreen.

Game is still shit.

I was watching this video, and the player actually made the game look...not that bad =\

Still looks like something I would not enjoy playing though...and the Mach Speed sections still look as horrible as ever.

I've seen other videos that make the game look not that bad.

It still looks like shit in at least some fashion.

What do you guys think of the Multiplayer and the DLC of the game?

I've played the full co-op campaign, and if anything it's even worse than than the singleplayer one. The difficulty curve is an absolute joke - you play both the hardest and longest level right on the second mission (Dusty Desert), then everything after that is smooth sailing by comparison. There's literally no context given besides "play a bunch of levels", and it doesn't even have a definitive ending, it just loops back to the start once you hit the end with no fanfare at all. It has the most awful "teamplay" focused puzzles ever, most of which focus on one player holding a switch down while the other does a thing, which on top of being fucking boring, at least two out of the three characters playable can actually cheat the buttons into staying online with no physical intervention (Silver's ground pound and Shadow's Chaos Spear, respectively). Silver can grab and throw his own allies, usually by complete accident, so if both players are in even remotely the same area everything goes to shit. And the camera, fucking hell, the camera. I don't know how they managed to make it even worse than the standard game, but it combined with the ridiculously narrow viewpoint is one of the main reasons the second level is borderline fucking uncompletable unless by some miracle you find out where the fuck you're going and can actually navigate your way through one specific section it will inevitably have a seizure on.

tl;dr, it was made as a complete afterthought, in a game that was basically an afterthought in of itself. And that's really saying something.

I kind of enjoyed multiplayer, but pretty much because me and a friend played the multiplayer by designing our own little game around it. Instead of racing to the finish (this got boring in this game, fast), we'd just go to a random spot in the level with enough space, and pretty much have a so-called "hedgehog battle", using homing attack and other stuff. I dunno, I found it to be somewhat fun. I was mildly interested in the DLC, or at least, Team Attack Amigo, but it ended up to be kind of disappointing in the end.

Silver grabbing and throwing his allies sounds like it would be a pretty fucking AWESOME gameplay idea if it weren't for the fact that he damages his teammate in the process and screwed things over.

Really, imagine that Silver and Sonic are near a large gap, no springs or anything for Sonic to get across. Silver lifts and throws the Blue Blur over while Silver himself flies over. Or a particularly trollish enemy is too far to hit. Sonic goes for a homing attack and Silver PKs him with extra force to fly up and hit the target.

...man I love recycling ideas. Although good luck of me applying that to the current formula.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

Silver grabbing and throwing his allies sounds like it would be a pretty fucking AWESOME gameplay idea if it weren't for the fact that he damages his teammate in the process and screwed things over.

Really, imagine that Silver and Sonic are near a large gap, no springs or anything for Sonic to get across. Silver lifts and throws the Blue Blur over while Silver himself flies over. Or a particularly trollish enemy is too far to hit. Sonic goes for a homing attack and Silver PKs him with extra force to fly up and hit the target.

...man I love recycling ideas. Although good luck of me applying that to the current formula.

I could see that being useful as a concept, but most stages can't really be done like this(IN terms of stock 06). The only map that comes to mind is kingdom valley from launching sonic from check point #1 to #2. Dusty Desert and Flame Core are Gauntlets and launching someone further in the map would seem very awkward in Crisis City and Wave Ocean.

Been watching a Let's Play of this.

It seems a really good game, except for the variety of glitches. I had seen it at a second hand electronics shop [hope it's still there] for about £3, but from all the bad things I've heard in the past, it did make me cautious of whether to buy it.

Now, the real question is - this game or Unleashed? I'm more of an Adventure-styled person and really couldn't care less for the boost feature of the more modern games. I've had more contact with Unleashed and have the Unleashed Generations mod, which I've found quite good, but... I don't know.

The only other viable option is to just wait for the next game announcement, but I still want to experience all those that I missed out on.

It seems a really good game, except for the variety of glitches.

Trust me, it's really, really not.

Get Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's up to you, but I can't recommend it.

£3 would have been the best deal you're likely to get, as well. I spent a fucking tenner on this knowing full well what I was getting into. I guess I got my milage though! I seem to return to this game a fair bit even though it's abysmal. I think the bile fascination keeps me coming back even though it really shouldn't.

But yeah, Unleashed is definitely the better game BY FAR, even if only by virtue of better presentation and lack of glitches. Which, with 06, is huge.

Edited by Semi-colon e

It seems a really good game, except for the variety of glitches. I had seen it at a second hand electronics shop [hope it's still there] for about £3, but from all the bad things I've heard in the past, it did make me cautious of whether to buy it.

Now, the real question is - this game or Unleashed? I'm more of an Adventure-styled person and really couldn't care less for the boost feature of the more modern games. I've had more contact with Unleashed and have the Unleashed Generations mod, which I've found quite good, but... I don't know.

The only other viable option is to just wait for the next game announcement, but I still want to experience all those that I missed out on.

Just do yourself a favor and get Sonic Unleashed. Say what you will about the Sonic Boost, but it's simply a better game than Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) in every way. Speaking as someone who actually bought and completed the game, despite how it may appear from just watching gameplay videos, Sonic 2006 does not play well at all.

As much as I despise both of those games, just buy Unleashed. It's the lesser of the two evils.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just, just don't buy 06...just don't, please. It's not worth ANY price. Don't even buy it if it's 50p!

Edited by KrazyBean

Do yourself a favor and get Unleashed. You may not care for the boost feature, but once you play Sonic 06 and fully complete it, you might just take that back.

Unless you're a masochist. In which case, ignore the above and go right on ahead and torture yourself in playing Sonic 06. :lol:

Do not buy '06.

Do not buy '06.

DO NOT buy '06.

I'm only buying it in the future so I can experience how horrible it is. I haven't really owned a game that was shittily ( is that even a word?) made, so this will be a rude awakening on how horrible games can really be. Maybe I'll start a youtube career by raging over the game live.

See, I was like this one day. I watched HellfireComms's playthrough of it with FTA and NTom outlining pretty much every reason why the game sucked. I watched BlazeHedgehog's "Sonic the Hedgehog is a Bad Game and Here's Why" video, outlining even more reasons why the game sucked. I saw reviews claiming why the game sucked. I saw discussions about how the game sucked. And I got drawn in by a plot description on Wikipedia, and a bunch of "fun" glitches I found on YouTube and the music. And yeah, little 12 year old me liked the game. Thought it was the best thing ever, among other praises for it. And now I look back on this, and I've replayed some time ago. And man, aside from maybe some of the Sonic stages, the game is a total bore. The glitches aren't even the main problem, and the game would probably still suck even if the story didn't exist. There's just so many design flaws that it's not even funny, and to be honest, it can take you out of the game big time. All I'm saying is Sonic '06 is a massively flawed game in all areas, and really, unless you really want, and I mean really want to, buy it cheap or something. Or just watch a playthrough of it.

• Thumbs Up 2

You guys ever heard of schmuck bait? 'means the more you insist that the game should be avoided at all costs, the more fascinating it seems.

I say rent it. Don't buy unless it costs exactly the amount of money you would normally spend on something you consume in an evening and don't bother about.

I'm only buying it in the future so I can experience how horrible it is. I haven't really owned a game that was shittily ( is that even a word?) made, so this will be a rude awakening on how horrible games can really be. Maybe I'll start a youtube career by raging over the game live.

Considering that there is about a million different channels that have already stated everything there is to say about the quality of this game, you'd have a better time becoming a hit (through controversy) by defending the game.