Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

You guys ever heard of schmuck bait? 'means the more you insist that the game should be avoided at all costs, the more fascinating it seems.

Luckily, I don't fall for things like that.

I can understand the merits of what SEGA tried to do by making it a more darker storyline, but the fact it was rushed for the 15th Anniversary meant a whole lot of unfinished ideas. Hence why, comparing it to the E3 announcement trailer, it looks rubbish.

I have to say, I'll probably get more use out of Unleashed.

Thanks for all the pointers.

So I replayed '06 today, with the fullest intent of playing it all the way through, every cutscene and all. Now, if this was me two years ago, I probably would've accomplished this without much difficult. The actual result today? I ended up getting bored after Sonic's Wave Ocean of all things. 

Edited by Burnt Ash

I say, buy the game if it's really cheap/rent it, and form your own opinion of it. I will say you need to be REALLY dedicated and persistant to complete it and some parts are absolutely frustating. I never really played Unleashed HD so I can't really judge.

Get it real cheap if you want it so bad! XP But if I were you just stick with Sonic Unleashed. Despite its mediocre reviews by critics (Gamespot gave it a lower score than Sonic 06, WAT) it's a very good game and makes Sonic 06 look really bad in comparison.

Been watching a Let's Play of this.

It seems a really good game, except for the variety of glitches. I had seen it at a second hand electronics shop [hope it's still there] for about £3, but from all the bad things I've heard in the past, it did make me cautious of whether to buy it.

Now, the real question is - this game or Unleashed? I'm more of an Adventure-styled person and really couldn't care less for the boost feature of the more modern games. I've had more contact with Unleashed and have the Unleashed Generations mod, which I've found quite good, but... I don't know.

The only other viable option is to just wait for the next game announcement, but I still want to experience all those that I missed out on.

Is it really worth suffering through all those glitches just to get to (what you consider) the good stuff, regardless of the cost?

Unleashed may have the whole Werehog shtick and Sega Hard "boost2win" level design; but at the very least Unleashed is far from a obvious beta unlike it's predecessor.

Just jogging your memory that THIS is what you'll be getting yourself should you dare purchase (or hell, even rent/borrow) this game.

EDIT: Speaking of which, I also remember seeing both Sonic 2006 and Sonic Unleashed available at a Best Buy and was trying to decide which game I should get. If I hadn't heard about this game's infamy, I probably would had gotten the former so that I would be playing the games in chronological order. I even made a thread about it some years ago at the Sega Forums and asked if I made a good decision of picking Unleashed.

Even the people who did recommend getting the game either brought up their complaints of the game, said the decision came down to my personal thoughts/opinion, and/or suggested renting the game or buying it used rather than new. Take that as you will.

Edited by Gabe

Well, I watched the cutscene compilation of the game on The Real Sonic Fan's Youtube channel.

I'm covered on the full story, and didn't even have to pay for it. Or suffer the misery.

I'm keeping my eye for a cheap deal I see on Unleashed, as I'm always playing through the demo of it on my X360.

And yeah, I find all the glitches in 06 funny. Looked up the videos when I was first told of the game [only a year ago].

Edited by DarkRula

The Custom Gems were one of the few fun things about this game, and even then, a good chunk of the fun factor is unintentional on the part of the game.

The custom gems were either broken (Red, Purple, Sky Blue), served absolutely no use (White), were impractical to use (Yellow and Green) and did not suit level design and were too twitchy controls-wise (Blue).

The red gem had no useful function as it didn't slow time down that much (The video Mefiresu posted shows obvious manipulation, the red gem is nowhere near that time-slowing in the game) and served no real practical function regarding game design.

The Purple gem was constrained by invisible barriers and allowed for sequence breaking in levels. Minimizing Sonic's size again has no practical application.

The Sky Blue gem can serve to show just how glitchy the game is. Throwing it at walls can cause Sonic to go through them as if they're not even there and aiming it at walls and buildings then seeing Sonic's momentum not get affected shows how screwed the physics are.

The white gem makes the homing attack stall in mid air. No increased attack power is given to it and if anything, it makes you more open to attack. It literally has no function.

The yellow gem gives you an electric shield with extremely limited attracting range and which disappears after one hit.

The green gem makes Sonic create a whirlwind that doesn't have a lot of range and is very weak.

The blue gem allows you to dash but the controls are very twitchy when dashing and running into things knocks Sonic down.

If anything, the gems show how badly the game was programmed and designed. Using them doesn't deplete the gauge as well.

Edited by Vertekins

HOLY SHIT SONIC'S MODEL CAN ACTUALLY FREAKIN' SMILE?!

The cutscenes in '06 always showed him as a stoic idiot who had a static, frowny mouth (with teeth in desperate need of a dentist)...

Edited by Spin Attaxx

On the contrary, Verte. The Red Gem slows time considerably to make a big difference to the clock if you use it consistently. This is especially useful when going for S ranks, since it allows you to technically spend much less time and get a bigger time bonus. The Yellow Gem may not be the best at attracting rings, but it does give you a shield at the press of the button. Hook one up at the start of the stage and whenever you get hit once- very, very useful.

The others are utterly shite outside of lulz though.

You never noticed it before?

Edited by Blue Blood

On the contrary, Verte. The Red Gem slows time considerably to make a big difference to the clock if you use it consistently. This is especially useful when going for S ranks, since it allows you to technically spend much less time and get a bigger time bonus. The Yellow Gem may not be the best at attracting rings, but it does give you a shield at the press of the button. Hook one up at the start of the stage and whenever you get hit once- very, very useful.

The others are utterly shite outside of lulz though.

I know that but SONIC '06 is such a terrible game, I'm not tempted to S rank it. And I'm also not tempted to have my finger on one trigger button for the entire stage, tends to give me cramp in hand :P

I found that the yellow gem shield was very weak against the robots that shoot multiple gun rounds at you as only one bullet can penetrate the shield and the following bullets can nail you.

Makes me think of the useless level up items Silver can get. The Heart of Wind only had one use - Getting into Radical Train during the story mode. And I never found much use for Shadow's chaos arrow thing.

Makes me think of the useless level up items Silver can get. The Heart of Wind only had one use - Getting into Radical Train during the story mode.

Sure it wasn't well balanced, but it's a lot quicker when going up hills and is good until the meter runs out otherwise. Too bad it is literally two feet each time and Silver walks that in about 6 years anyway.

Isn't Heart of Wind that ridiculous measly 2 feet air dash? I actually read somewhere that Silver was going to have an item that would make him run faster, but it was scrapped from the final game. God knows why, it would've certainly made his gameplay a bit better!

You never noticed it before?

Wait... is that smile there even when he gets hit?

You can't fly into space on metal boxes in Unleashed.  

The cutscenes in '06 always showed him as a stoic idiot who had a static, frowny mouth (with teeth in desperate need of a dentist)...

Actually no it can't.  The model used in game has no 3D mouth and just has that essentially painted on.  Were the cut scene model to smile, the results would not be pleasing, unless you're into that sort of thing.  

• Thumbs Up 2

^ I thought so. Because I examined the model not too long ago, and I was pretty sure Sonic's model has no mouth. At least with the PS3 version.

Does a mod of Sonic carrying Eggman instead of Elise exist? Cause you know, that'd be just dandy.

Eh, as tantalizing as that would be, I'd rather have a mod of Sonic carrying a box full of chili dogs.

YES. Apparently it does. Wow.

Someone in the comments said that this reminded them of Crash Twinsanity...I would instantly buy a Sonic Twinsanity.

Now that video's been posted, I'm sure I've seen it before and just forgot about it. It be a thing of beauty.

Awkward looking though it was, I didn't actually mind the w/Elise stages. Tropical Jungle actually wasn't bad at all. Relative to the rest of the game at least...

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1