Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I liked everything about sonic 06. Granted trying to defend something you like in the sonic fanbase is like trying to defend a tv on sale on black friday

I understand your pain.

I will say that what makes bugs and whatnot more acceptable in, say, a BioWare game is that the mechanics and overall design make up for it. (Not that I can speak for Dragon Age - I'm just assuming.) I suppose the point I can make here is that a game can be desperately unpolished, but still be well-received because it's otherwise fun to play. In 06's case, well, personally I just don't find it very fun :U Actually, if anything, I think the glitches are probably the only fun part, exploiting them and all.

But hey, you know, nothing wrong with enjoying the game.

Isn't that pretty much what Amy implies when she says "If I had to choose between the World and Sonic, I would choose Sonic!" ?

Yes, and it just so happens that that particular scene is cited as idiotic, selfish, and waaay out of character for Amy Rose. Amy loves Sonic for being the hero, yet in that one scene her characterization was betrayed as she succumbed to saying that even if Sonic were responsible for the world's destruction, she'd still choose him. Which just goes to show how awfully that plot point for both Amy and Elise was executed.

She actually knew him for 3 days, but I see your point. The short time in which the relationship played through was indeed short, but the interactions Elise shared with Sonic, pretty much prove that she had more than the time of her life with Sonic.

Between all the Elise-kidnappings, Silver hijinks, and Team Sonic getting booted into the future for a portion of the game, an alleged 3 days of knowing each other wouldn't eliminate the reality that they've at best had an interaction of less than 24 hours. That's going off of onscreen time of course. Now the argument could be made of off screen time spent together, but unfortunately such lacks the necessary backing since we aren't even told of what they might have done off screen.

I'll give Chris Thorndyke this over Elise; at least he actually had a long enough duration and developing interaction with Sonic over the course of Sonic X that at least conjured something of a reason, wishy washy as it was, for Chris' yandere-esque actions by the Season 2 finale. Elise doesn't have legit screen time shared with Sonic to back up ending the world for her selfish desires when she didn;t even shed a tear for her father.

You know, sometimes I think it's easy to forget how absolutely flat-out godawful Sonic 2006 really is.

I watched DarkSpinesSonic speedrun and destroy levels in the game and I'm just sat there stunned. Especially how bad the framerate is and how sluggish the game is in general.

Sonic Boom may be really bad, but I don't think it dethrones Sonic 2006.

Lol, he does the exact same thing for like every game he plays.

Like his Colors Speedruns? 

It's funny that you would mention Sonic Boom too because it's even more broken than 06, and it came a whole console generation after. xD

I think what makes Sonic 06 worse than Sonic Boom is that many fans were hyped for Sonic's next gen outing. It looked amazing and the demo seemed pretty decent too, surely nothing could go wrong! Sonic Boom on the other hand we knew was gonna be bad the moment we saw more gameplay footage and the demo turned out to be crap.

As far as potential goes, they were both had a lot, but I honestly don't think potential has any grounding in whether or not one is better than the other.

Yes, and it just so happens that that particular scene is cited as idiotic, selfish, and waaay out of character for Amy Rose. Amy loves Sonic for being the hero, yet in that one scene her characterization was betrayed as she succumbed to saying that even if Sonic were responsible for the world's destruction, she'd still choose him. Which just goes to show how awfully that plot point for both Amy and Elise was executed.

It actually doesn't betray her character though.

In fact, this very same mindset was displayed in Sonic Adventure 2, when she gladly sides with Sonic even though the entire Army is after him. She doesn't know if Sonic actually did all of the things Shadow did, she just had faith in him.

The statement is implying that she /knows/ that Sonic /won't/ betray the world. She literally just said "NO! I don't believe it...", right before that statement.

Between all the Elise-kidnappings, Silver hijinks, and Team Sonic getting booted into the future for a portion of the game, an alleged 3 days of knowing each other wouldn't eliminate the reality that they've at best had an interaction of less than 24 hours. That's going off of onscreen time of course. Now the argument could be made of off screen time spent together, but unfortunately such lacks the necessary backing since we aren't even told of what they might have done off screen.

I said, they knew each other for 3 days, I said nothing of how much or how long they interacted with each other.

Regardless though, you can't deny that Sonic didn't have some sort of impact on Elise. So stating such facts is actually pretty trivial.

Look at Amy, she was fawning over him since the moment she laid eyes on him. 

SEGACD--Sonic%20CD%20european%20version_

I'll give Chris Thorndyke this over Elise; at least he actually had a long enough duration and developing interaction with Sonic over the course of Sonic X that at least conjured something of a reason, wishy washy as it was, for Chris' yandere-esque actions by the Season 2 finale.

Elise doesn't have legit screen time shared with Sonic to back up ending the world for her selfish desires when she didn;t even shed a tear for her father.

I think you ignored this, so I'll just post it again:

It seemed more like an exaggeration than an actual meaningful statement. It's very evident that she was just scared that she would lose Sonic forever, and given her feelings for him, it would make plenty of sense for an irrational blurb like that to slip out of her mouth. It really isn't unheard of. I mean, like didn't she revive Sonic, just so she could see Sonic 'once again'? As in one last time before he says goodbye?

She says several times throughout the game that she loves her country, and that she cares deeply for it, even going to such great lengths as to bottle up her own stress to keep everyone safe, what would all of that mean in the end if she actually meant that last statement.

Chris just outright kidnaps Sonic so he doesn't leave.

Elise makes a very sharp and uncalled for statement, but realizes she was wrong /very/ shortly after.

Elise is more mature about her actions and decisions.

A bit off topic but I'm happy to see you talk about the game with a more chill attitude, DBZHedgy. Good on you dude.

As for the game itself I think it's kinda silly to say it's worse than Boom. They're both awful but Boom is some stinky, stinky shit. I already thought Heroes and Shadow were worse than 06 though so the only thing Boom dethroned as worse game to begin with was Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thing is, Shadow the hedgehog actually plays decently and there aren't as many glitches to be found as far as I know. Sonic 06 sometimes has you randomly flying through a loop and dying just because you didn't align your character correctly on the loop! You don't get that shit in Shadow, which is why I think that game is just a little less worse than 06.

Thing is, Shadow the hedgehog actually plays decently and there aren't as many glitches to be found as far as I know. Sonic 06 sometimes has you randomly flying through a loop and dying just because you didn't align your character correctly on the loop! You don't get that shit in Shadow, which is why I think that game is just a little less worse than 06.

Actually, when I think about it Shadow isn't really "bad" in terms of gameplay. Granted, some of the missions are extremely tedious to do but I get a decent kick out of it.

The only thing that's pretty bad is the tone of the game, everything else is rather above average.

Which is why I'm reluctant to say that Shadow is an actual bad game, it plays fine, has decent music but everything else is just wrong. I'm actually gonna say that it's the Other M of the Sonic series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shadow has guns, edge, and Shadow. What's not to like? XP I still think Heroes is the worst of the Sonics though. I can't like that one no matter how hard I try.

I dunno if my post here was lost in the server wipe but my opinion is still basically the same. Although Radical Train is a lot more tedious than I remember, hehe. Oh, also, I tried that Team Attack Amigo thing recently as well. It's freaking hard. I wasn't able to beat Aquatic Base last time I tried it.

There's also Sonic 06's problem with switching your characters in mid-level (why the fuck am I playing Silver in Sonic's story?) and forcing you to stay with them until a certain point, which wasn't bad in Heroes when you could immediately switch back instead of having to reach a checkpoint for it.

And even clunkier vehicle controls than what was done in Shadow. Knuckles/Rouge being unable to get unstuck from a wall unless you press the jump button who-knows-how-many-goddamn-times to get off.

I'm one of those who found very few glitches in my playthrough of Sonic 06, and even I found it a worse experience and much less polished than Shadow. Just these few things alone are unacceptable on top of Sonic's slow acceleration and the bland level design.

Oh, and the multiplayer sucks major ass, and that's actually the better part of the game along with the music. I'd rather play ShTH or Heroes than this - Heroes is much more straightforward to get through, and you could actually avoid the more tedious levels in ShTH altogether (unless you're the masochist that wants to 100% the game).

EDIT: Oh, and Sonic's snowboarding sections. Seriously?!

• Thumbs Up 1

Exactly Soni. ShtH is okay gameplay wise with some very tedious missions and frustrating level design, but the story, characters, guns and tone are unbelievably awful. Ow the edge indeed!

• Thumbs Up 1

the multiplayer is incredible what are you saying

Well, if you're messing around, that is. It seemed more open than SA2's so just doing whatever is really fun. Generally unless a game has story co-op I don't take local multiplayer modes seriously. But yeah if you're trying to have a fun, multiplayer racing experience, you're out of luck. Especially if someone's Silver, lel

Actually, I found 06's multiplayer really fun! For all the wrong reasons! :D

I mean, I remember the time me and my sis play through Aquatic Base one time. I was Sonic and she was Silver, she got me and decided to throw me away but instead she through me out of the level and I died in the black void. It was freaking hilarious! XD

But in actuality, yeah 06's multiplayer is pretty dull and not really that fun to play through.

Exactly Soni. ShtH is okay gameplay wise with some very tedious missions and frustrating level design, but the story, characters, guns and tone are unbelievably awful. Ow the edge indeed!

And the funny thing is that much of what ShTH did is much more fixable or easy to retool than Sonic 06. You could alter the structure of ShTH so that it's more straightfoward and less frustrating, you can change and streamline the story to make it flow, make sense, and connect it much more fluidly to SA2, and you can make the characters better and make the dark tone more appropriate to the franchise. And remove the guns and replace with the Chaos Powers.

Easier compared to Sonic 06 which requires all that to a much higher degree along with better QA testing and debugging.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really see how the Multiplayer in 06 was bad...

I don't see how it was any better than the regular gameplay either mind you, but still not bad.

It's just regular stages with another person playing with you. In one mode you fight to get to the goal, in the other you work together. Not really much to complain about if you ask me. I really wish they did more with it though, like adding in Amigo characters that were originally planned to be put into said mode though.

And the funny thing is that much of what ShTH did is much more fixable or easy to retool than Sonic 06. You could alter the structure of ShTH so that it's more straightfoward and less frustrating, you can change and streamline the story to make it flow, make sense, and connect it much more fluidly to SA2, and you can make the characters better and make the dark tone more appropriate to the franchise. And remove the guns and replace with the Chaos Powers.

Easier compared to Sonic 06 which requires all that to a much higher degree along with better QA testing and debugging.

Streamlining the story to make it flow would essentially call for more cutscenes which is all 06 really needs to better connect it's story as well.

The level design in 06 is pretty straightforward though, and the dark tone that 06 encompasses equates to the dark tone that is present in Sonic Adventure 2. 

I can agree on the QA testing and debugging though, but that's pretty much a given since the game wasn't properly finished.

There's also Sonic 06's problem with switching your characters in mid-level (why the fuck am I playing Silver in Sonic's story?) and forcing you to stay with them until a certain point, which wasn't bad in Heroes when you could immediately switch back instead of having to reach a checkpoint for it.

In this scenario though it isn't actually a problem. Mainly because the reason the game switches you to a different character in the first place is because that specific section better suits said character. Whereas Heroes' gameplay constantly gave you splitting pathways that you could choose.

I'm one of those who found very few glitches in my playthrough of Sonic 06, and even I found it a worse experience and much less polished than Shadow. Just these few things alone are unacceptable on top of Sonic's slow acceleration and the bland level design.

Why would you need Sonic to accelerate any faster if the game doesn't need you to go that fast? It would essentially make it even worse to control because the turning inertia would stay the same making it almost impossible to get anywhere without careening off of a cliff or running into an enemy / wall essentially losing that speed.

Also, could you elaborate on the 'bland level design'? 

Who's you guys' favorite character is this game?

My vote goes to Blaze.

Blaze-the-cat-sonic-cats-13453327-235-37

With regards to her gameplay, while she is just as vulnerable to the game's wonky physics as everyone else, I feel that she still controls the best.  Her top speed is faster than Sonic's, her attacks are very effective and easy to execute, and she has a better double jump than Amy.  It's just a shame you only get to play as her three times; which is something I don't get because she could have easily been playable in Radical Train, Kingdom Valley, and Flame Core.  Well at she gets Aquatic Base and (the good part) of Tropical Jungle in DLC. That's something right?

In regard to story, while she doesn't do as much as I would like, she does get to at least act as Silver's moral compass (at least that's what they were going for) and it is ultimately she who ends up saving the world from Iblis, not Silver.  (Oh the tragic irony)

So, do you guys have a fav or is it nobody like it usually is?

Blaze is good, but Omega is fun too since he is faster than Sonic (tha faq?) and has that cool floating thang going on. Awesome for taking shortcuts and glitching the game. =3

• Thumbs Up 1

Blaze and Sonic only, no exceptions.

Everyone else are too slow or too dull to play as.

I mean sure, Omega can break levels with his hover ability but Sonic can do the same thing in 2 different ways. Also the fact that both Sonic and Blaze's level section actually feel like it's a Sonic game. But sadly even then, that only happens in rare occasions. 

I have only enjoyed Sonic's Wave Ocean, Crisis City and Radical Train and whatever section Blaze has, which were at 2 sections and a full level.

And it doesn't help the fact that ALL of them are not even completed, atleast Rise of Lyric had that!

06 may play like a Sonic game but it only feels like a Sonic game in very few instances that are later overshadowed by the completely dull looking levels/hubs, non-Sonic like gameplay and etc.

I had more fun with Blaze, Silver, and Shadow than I did Sonic honestly, but Sonic was better than almost everyone else.

Minus the vehicles, Shadow's gameplay in Sonic 06 was probably the absolute best version of himself in this franchise, and it's really sad it had to be in this game, and probably the best part of this game. We're finally able to chuck Chaos Spears at enemies, experience what it's like to teleport around to different foes, yet it's a shame his Chaos Blast was nerfed to hell with that weak ass range. This is how you make a character with similar abilities to Sonic, yet diverse enough to stand on his own, as the only abilities he had in common with Sonic was the homing attack.

Silver was actually unique, and it's fun to experiment and throw missiles and bullets back at the enemies that shot at you - it's a shame he was among the slowest of characters in this game, because if he were faster he'd be really unique (and perhaps broken if not balanced). It's still fun to make makeshift platforms to move around the place, and that could definitely be something interesting to perfect in future platformer.

Blaze wasn't as interesting as she was in past games, but I felt she was much more mobile than Sonic surprisingly - it's a shame they didn't take advantage of this moment to give her some cool pyrokinetic abilities.

Shadow can be pretty fun to play but then his levels becomes more combat-orientated and his attacks are very repetitive. For the most most part, you're either pressing the trigger for Chaos Boost or mashing the jump button to kill enemies. Geez, killing enemies in Heroes AND Rise of Lyric was more than this dull excuse for combat.

Silver had great potential to be a great character to play as. But sadly, he also suffers the same problem I have with Shadow. There's not much too him, you shock enemies, grab enemies and objects and throw them at other enemies and objects.....riveting....

It may just be me but I really can't enjoy Shadow and Silver at all. 

Sonic 06 is just so goddamn boring and tedious to play.

I wouldn't really say that about killing enemies compared to Heroes (haven't played Rise of Lyric). At least with Shadow's combat oriented powers, you didn't go up against enemies with 30 points of health. So they went down't much quicker.

It helps that it's less common for you to be locked in a room full of enemies that you can't simply run by compared to Heroes and Unleashed, tho it still had its moments.

But atleast you had different options of killing enemies in Heroes or RoL but when it comes to Shadow and SIlver in 06, it's the same attacks over and over again. It gets old real quick, that was my point.

Granted, Heroes and RoL didn't do combat sections that well either but I can safely say that 06's combat sections are worst in the series.

Eh... Heroes, 06, RoL, they've all got pretty boring and stale combat systems. Then again, I might have spoiled myself playing games that specialize in combat like DMC or Metal Gear Rising. :P

Well of course, Sonic isn't going to have the best of combat mechanics compared to games that are all about that stuff since Sonic is a fast-paced action platformer but when it comes to the series itself, I found 06's to be the worst and the Werehog being the best.

I don't know who the guy at Sonic Team was that thought adding health bars to enemies in Sonic games was a good idea in the first place. It makes sense in Sonic Heroes I guess since you level up, and in Shadow the Hedgehog you can kill enemies quickly with weapons. Sonic 06 is a chore though because enemies can only die through homing attacks and regular attacks. Too bad the developers were dumb enough to leave out the jump roll, or were they trying to be "realistic?"

• Thumbs Up 1

But atleast you had different options of killing enemies in Heroes or RoL but when it comes to Shadow and SIlver in 06, it's the same attacks over and over again. It gets old real quick, that was my point.

Granted, Heroes and RoL didn't do combat sections that well either but I can safely say that 06's combat sections are worst in the series.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree then, because Heroes was far more of a chore due to being repetitive and having so much padding to it. And even then, Heroes locked you into rooms filled with those enemies a lot more often, especially in levels like Hang Castle and Final Fortress, so while it may get old in 06 you have more options of just running past the enemies to continue the level instead of being walled off in a room with a single Egg Hammer or three with 30 hit points that takes a good minute to bring down unless you had a team blast.

Nor did I have to do this four times with teams that were essentially the same as each other with little differences, which is telling when Heroes is a lot more polished than Sonic 06.

Still, we can all agree that combat in Sonic games haven't been so good. And it's funny, because I don't think having hit points in general is a bad thing than it is giving the enemies so much of it.

I don't know who the guy at Sonic Team was that thought adding health bars to enemies in Sonic games was a good idea in the first place. It makes sense in Sonic Heroes I guess since you level up, and in Shadow the Hedgehog you can kill enemies quickly with weapons. Sonic 06 is a chore though because enemies can only die through homing attacks and regular attacks. Too bad the developers were dumb enough to leave out the jump roll, or were they trying to be "realistic?"

Not really though...

[Warning: Lots of Gifs]

Kzed7W.gif

m8QgZR.gif

KBLEP7.gif

mL0o75.gif

m69jnA.gif

yXDo1M.gif

The only exception is Knuckles, and Amy. Amy however doesn't have levels that dish out a huge bunch of baddies [excluding the end of the world, in which case, the enemies were obviously meant to be avoided] so there isn't any cause for alarm.