Awoo.

Official Sonic 2006 topic

thedarkknight

I did write a long post going through yours bit by bit but my daughter just managed to get rid of it D:

So im gonna sum it up because in getting tired and can't be asked to rewrite it.

Basically 06 has Knuckles just thrown in without any thought for why he is there. SEGA put him in for the sake of being there and it feels like it, most other people have a reason for being there, even Tails, whereas Knuckles just feels shoehorned in for the sake of it. The worst part of this is that he has a backstory he is meant to have, and SEGA seem to have forgotten about it, this was the evidence towards it being a reboot without the master emerald (like boom).

You guys can go and discuss about the relevancy of Knuckles, Firebird put it better than I, but my argument was about the 06 reboot theory.

I did write a long post going through yours bit by bit but my daughter just managed to get rid of it D:

Aww geez man, I feel for ya! I hate when something like that happens to me after a long post 3:

Basically 06 has Knuckles just thrown in without any thought for why he is there. SEGA put him in for the sake of being there and it feels like it, most other people have a reason for being there, even Tails, whereas Knuckles just feels shoehorned in for the sake of it. The worst part of this is that he has a backstory he is meant to have, and SEGA seem to have forgotten about it, this was the evidence towards it being a reboot without the master emerald (like boom).

You guys can go and discuss about the relevancy of Knuckles, Firebird put it better than I, but my argument was about the 06 reboot theory.

I understand this, however, Knuckles' personality has established in the past that he would drop what he's doing to help out Sonic, if his Emerald wasn't immediately in danger. Just to have a little fun, or to have a competition with Sonic for old times sake. Sonic Riders is the best example of this.

But hey, just because they retconned a few characters that doesn't mean the game is a reboot. I mean look at Team Chaotix in Sonic Heroes, they don't even remotely recognize Knuckles.

Not Necessarily. The games we're conversing of were already on this "level" of which you speak.(Or Lower for that Matter) At least when it comes to the principle we're discussing now.

Also, I feel that you confused Jolt_TH's initial statement.

If you say that Knuckles is of absolutely no importance here(06), and all of the appearances mentioned beforehand do indeed give feasible background knowledge as to why Knuckles should be there, as well as not contradicting his back-story of "Protecting the Master Emerald" (Pfffffft!), Plus giving him a purpose of being there, then please compare the results I've gathered below, and answer to me how 06 Knuckles does something of less value than these. Not only that, but keeping true to Jolt_TH's point about Knuckles NOT doing anything of importance BEFORE Sonic 06 as well as during said appearance. That and the fact that he does not Ignore the Master Emerald before 06 as well other than Heroes. Do Tread Lightly.

Once again, You're trying to paint my words falsely so you can conjure up an argument. I'm sorry but akin to last time, the failure to apply to my statements makes your argument moot.

Anyway, peers of mine have spoken to moi, and I fear that I'm indulging your crusade unhealthily, so I'm putting to take a break from conversing with you in this thread for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't really have anything to say about this whole Knuckles thing, but I can say that Sonic 06 is one of my favorite Sonic games. I had a lot of hype for it when it was first coming out (I was 9, I believe), and I wasn't disappointed. Even now, the game is still fun. Silver's story was my favorite I think. He had the best gameplay. Shadow's was good too, though I wasn't huge on his homing attack pummel thing. Sonic's was also good, especially once you get the Gem Shoes which are really glitchy yet super fun to use, especially the Cyan one. Two player mode was hilarious as well. Silver can just chuck the other player all the way across the map.

Glad to see someone else who enjoys the game. I really love Shadow's arc, and am currently working on getting all the achievements by getting all S rank and all Silver medals. Unfortunately my data got deleted so I had to start over when I came back to it yesterday, but I'm enjoying playing through the story again nonetheless. Sure, the game is super buggy, but I really appreciate what it was supposed to be and I still enjoy the game in spite of its flaws. Sadly I've never tried multiplayer as my local friends have no interest in Sonic, much less in 06, but ah well.

I enjoy Sonic '06 as well. It's far from perfect, but I can still find enjoyment in the game. I especially like how it's in the Adventure formula.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see someone else who enjoys the game. I really love Shadow's arc, and am currently working on getting all the achievements by getting all S rank and all Silver medals. Unfortunately my data got deleted so I had to start over when I came back to it yesterday, but I'm enjoying playing through the story again nonetheless. Sure, the game is super buggy, but I really appreciate what it was supposed to be and I still enjoy the game in spite of its flaws. Sadly I've never tried multiplayer as my local friends have no interest in Sonic, much less in 06, but ah well.

I enjoy Sonic '06 as well. It's far from perfect, but I can still find enjoyment in the game. I especially like how it's in the Adventure formula.

Why don't you guys just play Sonic Adventure?

Anyway, peers of mine have spoken to moi, and I fear that I'm indulging your crusade unhealthily, so I'm putting to take a break from conversing with you in this thread for a while.

That's cool man, I'm A-Ok with that.

Probably because of the new features that only exist in Sonic 06 maybe?

Being someone who loves 06 despite it being an objectively bad game, as well as someone who enjoys both Adventure games, I think I can answer that... at least, for myself. You see, I find myself enjoying 06's Sonic levels more than the Sonic/Shadow levels in the Adventure games. I know that, on almost every level, the levels in SA1&2 are objectively better than those in 06. However, I enjoy the 06 levels more because... well, there's just something about the way Sonic controls and the way the levels are designed that I love. I can't put my finger on what those somethings are, but they are the reasons why I'd rather go back and play 06 over the Adventure games.

I guess, to put it simply, 06 has a feel that I love and that the Adventure games just can't replicate.

I can't answer for everyone else, but I do. I have both Adventure games on both Gamecube and 360, and in Adventure 2 I've earned all 180 emblems on both versions. I also have all A rank in Heroes and Shadow, which means 06 is the last game in that style I haven't perfected yet. I love the art style, the music, and the direction they were trying to take the game...unfortunately the polish needed to meet their vision didn't happen and so it is plagued by glitches and poor load times, but I appreciate what it was trying to do and it still came close enough that I enjoy it. Shadow also happens to be one of my 3 favorite characters in the Sonic universe and his arc in 06 was the best one he's had in my opinion, so I greatly enjoy the game.

That's exactly what I do, along with '06, Adventure 2, Unleashed, and Generations.

Hmmm....

Nope, still don't get it.  And apparently, neither did Sega since they went in a complete 180° with the series in terms of direction.

Come to think of it, you could say the game, Sonic Colors, is the "Anti-Sonic 06"

• 7 months later...

To be honest, 06 in its messed up state is quite "unique" and far from being a Sonic Adventure tier game. One certainly won't get the same our similar experience, probably also, let alone amount of enjoyment between the two.

So yeah, I can see why one wouldn't be just content with playing Adventure, considering how much of a different beast Sonic 06 is.

Why do I have this strange feeling we are going to continue with the discussion above even though we've gone through it before? :lol:

• Thumbs Up 2

Hopefully such can be avoided for the sake of attaining the Good Future Act 06. :P

To be honest, 06 in its messed up state is quite "unique" and far from being a Sonic Adventure tier game. One certainly won't get the same our similar experience, probably also, let alone amount of enjoyment between the two.

How are you so sure that one can't or doesn't enjoy the game for it's actual merits?

Humanoid? Why just cause they made their legs taller? I'm sorry but they still look like cartoon animals to me.

Well to be honest, back then I was more so referring to their anthropomorphism which allows them to act quite like homo sapiens and have similar builds, akin to how one could point out that the animals in the Lion King series act quite human,

That said, unlike Sonic/Madonna 06's romance didn't have the excuse of being tongue-in-cheek, and was rather creepy a a result. The lack of decent writing or shared scenes even justifying it only made things worse, 'tis true.

That said, unlike Sonic/Madonna 06's romance was rather creepy and the lack of decent writing or shared scenes even justifying it only made things worse, 'tis true.

(K, so don't take this as me constantly attacking your argument but... :V)

I'm confused as to how the Sonic/Madonna romance was better put together, when it barely even made it past conceptual level without changing Madonna to Amy, and the fact that it had little to no background explaining it. There is literally no justification for Sonic/Madonna. 

Let's not forget the fact that Sonic x Elise is one-sided just like Sonic x Amy.

Well to be honest, back then I was more so referring to their anthropomorphism which allows them to act quite like homo sapiens and have similar builds, akin to how one could point out that the animals in the Lion King series act quite human,

That said, unlike Sonic/Madonna 06's romance didn't have the excuse of being tongue-in-cheek, and was rather creepy a a result. The lack of decent writing or shared scenes even justifying it only made things worse, 'tis true.

You'll have to pardon my sentence structure there. I meant to say that Sonic/Madonna was tongue-in-cheek unlike Sonic/Elise, and that 06's terrible writing didn't do it any more favors; my humblest apologies for that mistake. Not to worry it's been edited for better conveyance.

Let's not forget the fact that Sonic x Elise is one-sided just like Sonic x Amy.

Which wouldn't make it any less awkward or creepy, especially given how it's executed.

• Thumbs Up 2

We can only guess from looking at concept art of Madonna but I do believe Sonic and Madonna's relationship was always meant to be humorous, like Roger and Jessica Rabbit. Not just because of Madonna looking cartoony but also because Sonic is so short that you can hardly take it seriously seeing them together! It's funny, it's cute and it works.

With Sonic and Elise however they always had the intention of making it a serious relationship and it just. Doesn't. Work! Princess Elise looks creepily realistic and while Sonic isn't too short compared to Classic Sonic, he still looks cartoony and seeing him in a romantic relationship with Elise is wrong IMO. Especially when they didn't even establish their relationship properly! The kiss at the end was cringe worthy not because it was a woman kissing a furry but because she was kissing someone she hardly even knew yet she already had feelings for him. It's like an early Disney movie!

Oh, and let's not forget this nugget that Elise shouts at the end of Sonic 06 when she has to blow out the Flame; "I don't care what happens to the world!" Because you know, she'd rather be with someone she hardly knows than save the world from everlasting darkness. Bitch.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, and let's not forget this nugget that Elise shouts at the end of Sonic 06 when she has to blow out the Flame; "I don't care what happens to the world!" Because you know, she'd rather be with someone she hardly knows than save the world from everlasting darkness. Bitch.

I have to admit, even after the kiss, Elise still wasn't THAT bad a character in my eyes, but that final moment where after having cried for a hedgehog she knew for less than 24 hours total yet not crying for her father, Elise revealed without that she'd, without hesitation or second thought, be content with dooming the world for the sake of meeting said hedgehog was where pretty much any respect I had for her as a character was drowned out.

Heck, she's as bad as Chris Thorndyke in that regard.

• Thumbs Up 1

We can only guess from looking at concept art of Madonna but I do believe Sonic and Madonna's relationship was always meant to be humorous, like Roger and Jessica Rabbit. Not just because of Madonna looking cartoony but also because Sonic is so short that you can hardly take it seriously seeing them together! It's funny, it's cute and it works.

Madonna was pretty much a prototype Amy.

With Sonic and Elise however they always had the intention of making it a serious relationship and it just. Doesn't. Work! Princess Elise looks creepily realistic and while Sonic isn't too short compared to Classic Sonic, he still looks cartoony and seeing him in a romantic relationship with Elise is wrong IMO. Especially when they didn't even establish their relationship properly! The kiss at the end was cringe worthy not because it was a woman kissing a furry but because she was kissing someone she hardly even knew yet she already had feelings for him. It's like an early Disney movie!

I certainly don't plan to shrug off that pretty big mistake in character progression and development, but I can't say it hasn't been done before to much better avail. That said, a relationship's development execution can be done in that short of a time, and throughout the game it has been shown that Elise has taken to heart literally everything that Sonic showed her, so it doesn't really come off as being sloppily executed. Sonic being with Elise take up a lot of Sonic's story cutscenes actually. 

Isn't that pretty much what Amy implies when she says "If I had to choose between the World and Sonic, I would choose Sonic!" ?

It seemed more like an exaggeration than an actual meaningful statement. It's very evident that she was just scared that she would lose Sonic forever, and given her feelings for him, it would make plenty of sense for an irrational blurb like that to slip out of her mouth. It really isn't unheard of. I mean, like didn't she revive Sonic, just so she could see Sonic 'once again'? As in one last time before he says goodbye?

She says several times throughout the game that she loves her country, and that she cares deeply for it, even going to such great lengths as to bottle up her own stress to keep everyone safe, what would all of that mean in the end if she actually meant that last statement.

I have to admit, even after the kiss, Elise still wasn't THAT bad a character in my eyes, but that final moment where after having cried for a hedgehog she knew for less than 24 hours total yet not crying for her father, Elise revealed without that she'd, without hesitation or second thought, be content with dooming the world for the sake of meeting said hedgehog was where pretty much any respect I had for her as a character was drowned out.

Heck, she's as bad as Chris Thorndyke in that regard.

She actually knew him for 3 days, but I see your point. The short time in which the relationship played through was indeed short, but the interactions Elise shared with Sonic, pretty much prove that she had more than the time of her life with Sonic.

Chris just outright kidnaps Sonic so he doesn't leave.

Elise makes a very sharp and uncalled for statement, but realizes she was wrong /very/ shortly after.

Elise is more mature about her actions and decisions.

You know, sometimes I think it's easy to forget how absolutely flat-out godawful Sonic 2006 really is.

I watched DarkSpinesSonic speedrun and destroy levels in the game and I'm just sat there stunned. Especially how bad the framerate is and how sluggish the game is in general.

Sonic Boom may be really bad, but I don't think it dethrones Sonic 2006.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think what makes Sonic 06 worse than Sonic Boom is that many fans were hyped for Sonic's next gen outing. It looked amazing and the demo seemed pretty decent too, surely nothing could go wrong! Sonic Boom on the other hand we knew was gonna be bad the moment we saw more gameplay footage and the demo turned out to be crap.

I liked everything about sonic 06. Granted trying to defend something you like in the sonic fanbase is like trying to defend a tv on sale on black friday.

Things I enjoyed about Sonic 06

The music: It is still some of the best in the sonic series by far. Crisis city is just breathtaking driving down the road to.

The CG: Again another staple in the series. Of course trying to defend the realistic take on eggman with the sonic fanbase is pretty hard I liked his new look. He actually seemed sorta evil/plan driven instead of a bumbling idiot who happens to make progress yet fails. In fact Eggman did not really fail like he does in other games par-say. Anyway I will never forget seeing the opening and my cousin saying "Dang is this a new final fantasy?" I wish they would go back to it. The in game cut scenes.....not so much.

Elise: She was a sweet character. Though I am more forgiving than most of her being human. Maybe because I am a early 90s baby that actually grew up with sonic and a lot of shows I grew up with had humans fall for hybrid characters. Biker mice from mars, street sharks, gargoyles to list a few. So when I saw her and sonic it was not a big deal. I actually was happy when she kissed sonic and Super Sonic came from the sky to thank her. And so what if she fell for him in a short time? I know tons of people who fall for people in short time frames and I mean fall hard. She liked sonic. Her dull princess life is suddenly thrown into the gears when a madman doctor attacks her kingdom and this random hedgehog hero comes to her recuse and takes her running and is just some new and exciting in her life. But you threaten to suddenly take him away and you will go back to a dull life never to remember him? That is pretty tough and I would probably think hard before I blew out the flame if the roles were reversed. *chris in sonic x was a little punk, he couldnt walk 2 feet without thinking of sonic.*

Things I did not like

The hub world: I like how they tried to implicate this but sadly many times it was confusing trying to figure where to go.

The back and forth with the story: Mephiles was one of the best villains in the story. But he as most villains do lost from just not outright killing everyone.  Being to focused on shadow was annoying.

And although the load times were bad and the game had bugs galore, many other games have just as many bugs and just as horrible load times but yet get praise galore *im looking at you dragon age. "

• Thumbs Up 1