Awoo.

ScrewAttack's "Death Battle" Series

goku262002

As much as it pains me to say this (as Jak and Daxter was the very first video game I managed to beat), I'm thinking Ratchet and Clank have this fight in the bag. Not only does Ratchet possess much larger firepower, with a good number of the weapons putting the Peacemaker and its "nuke upgrade" to shame, but (from what I've heard of the recent games) Clank has some kind of time manipulation powers. Clank also gives Ratchet extra mobility, due to functioning as a Heli-pack/Jetpack, whereas Jak has to make do to with Blue Eco, which is temporary, and vehicles, that can be rather easily destroyed. Granted, both the time manipulation and extra mobility are rectified with Jak's Light form, which also provides a shield and healing. There's also Jak's powerful Dark form, which will no doubt rip Ratchet and Clank to shreds should he get in close. But that begs the question: are those two forms enough to overcome Ratchet's immense arsenal and Clanks own impactful contribution? Given the temporary nature of those forms, I'm doubtful.

I love both series, though if I were to pick I'd say Jak and Daxter but in the actual Death Battle? Its going to Ratchet.

If there's any distinct advantages Jak has over Ratchet is that he's physically stronger than Ratchet based on the fact he punches through robots while Ratchet uses a wrench for the same thing. He might have slightly better mobility since he can double jump and can gain some slight distance with his spin move. His biggest advantage would have to be Eco and his Light and Dark Forms due to it being magic but its limited used doesn't really help him in the long run. In short Jax is stronger at closer ranges than Ratchet.

Ratchet has the bigger arsenal for sure, including the R.Y.N.O. which might as well be checkmate with the massive amounts of carnage it causes. All of Ratchet's weapons makes him more versatile for any situation. Another thing to add is that Ratchet has more experience than Jax, and if you remember Fox vs Bucky is that sometimes experience can be a deciding factor. Ratchet has been enlisted in several wars while Jak has only been in one rebellion and I guess 2 wars at best. As a side note, Daxter does nothing for Jak gameplay wise while Clank is a helper for Ratchet which can be another deciding factor by a large margin.

I have a feeling this would go down just as how Master Chief vs Doom Guy went. But then again I'm rusty with both games to know their full extent.

I wouldn't be so sure.

Ratchet might have him outgunned, however Jak's dark and light abilities give him a serious advantage against Ratchet, and seeing as they account for every source of reference they can get, it also means it's very likely that Daxter will be able to use his Dark form, which is basically the Hulk with fur. 

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I wouldn't be so sure.

Ratchet might have him outgunned, however Jak's dark and light abilities give him a serious advantage against Ratchet, and seeing as they account for every source of reference they can get, it also means it's very likely that Daxter will be able to use his Dark form, which is basically the Hulk with fur. 

Ah yeah, nearly about Dark Daxter! Yeah, he might just be the edge to help give him and Jak the victory. There's also Daxter's own game, where he possessed a bug spray that can be modded with a flamethrower and "Ultrasonic", which can allow Daxter to participate in the battle (despite normally doing nothing in actual Jak gameplay lol).

I hope after this Death Battle, they do one for Sly Cooper. It'd be a shame for them to do one for two of the PS2's platforming mascots and leave the third one out, even if he's not as popular as them (then again, Sly has his own movie coming out while Jak and Daxter do not...)

Jak and Daxter might have it in the bag; unlike Ratchet & Clank where the latter is clearly the sidekick and mostly an accessory, Daxter does eventually learn how to fight on his own. Its essentially going to be a 2 on 1 matchup.

Alright, time for a detailed post on why Jak could potentially win.

Firstly, there's the issue of Jak being outgunned. Fair enough, that is true. Ratchet is armed to the teeth with weapons, and with all different varieties. But in contrast to that lack of variety, Jak's guns have a serious kick to them. Ratchet may have something like the RYNO, but Jak's Super Nova is basically a wide area nuke, which actually destroyed any enemies on screen in the game, so Jak's already got a counter to that powerful weapon, and even has an advantage with it. Ratchet needs to get up close to him for the rockets to lock in on him, something the Super Nova doesn't need.

On top of that, Jak also has access to his dark powers, which make him unable to get hit, and has several different forms in it, (Giant Jak, Dark Jak Blast, Dark Bomb etc). Even if Jak lacks the weapons Ratchet has, his dark powers, and weapons he does have more than make out the difference for Jak. 

On top of that, if we want to go further, Jak's powers and by extension, Daxter's powers cancel out most of the things Ratchet & Clank have. Ratchet tries to glide jump? Jak has an uppercut that goes around the same length as Ratchet's maximum height with the jump. Ratchet has Mr. Zurkons? Jak has a dark blast move that would rip both Ratchet, Clank, and Mr. Zurkon to shreds. Ratchet's armory and firepower? Dark Jak, for the length it's active can not be damaged. Even then, when Jak is out of Dark Jak form? Jak is still able to heal up any damage that Ratchet might be able to dish out on him.

Why? That's when we go into Light Jak's form. Light Jak has the power to regenerate his health, and is once again unable to be damaged when he's in the process of doing so due to floating in the air during the process. Jak's also got any flight abilities Clank has because he also has Light Flight, where he grows angel wings, and can fly. 

But here's where things will completely fall apart for Ratchet, and that major disadvantage is Clank. "But Ryan! Clank has the power to bend time to his will!, how could Jak do shit all if he's slowed down in time?!"

Well that's the thing. Jak's got him completely outclassed. In Crack in Time, we see Clank slow down time, using his time bombs to do so, which had a area of range, and didn't last very long. Even then, we never saw Clank use it with Ratchet present outside of gameplay, which means we potentially don't know if Ratchet is unaffected by the time bomb or not (If anything, he probably would be, the only reason he wasn't in Crack in Time is it would get annoying to the player if that was the case.) 

However, Jak has Clank's time manipulation completely outclassed, and it's all because of one detail. Time Stop. This is a Light Jak ability where when Jak claps his hands together, time slows down to a halt, it slows down even further than what Clank's time bombs manages to slow time down to. On top of that, it affects the entire area, rather than just a small area that Clank's time bombs affects (Keep in mind, Clank can only have one time bomb active at once as well). This means it would be entirely possible for Jak to dodge the time bombs, and counter with an time attack that surrounds the entire arena, unlike Clank's time bombs.

This means any advantage Clank could bring to the playing field is lost due to Jak's powers and abilities being able to counter both his time manipulation, and any flight powers, meaning at the end of the day, the only advantage Ratchet has in this fight is his bigger range of weapons, all of which can be countered thanks to Jak's regeneration and bulletproof abilities granted by Dark and Light Jak.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's Ratchet & Clank's preview:

Interesting. Let's come back in a week to see what Jak and Daxter are bringing to the fight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man! I'm so sorry Ryan but I just recalled something that might just throw a severe monkey wrench in Jak and Daxter's ability to win: Clank can turn giant. Like, really giant. And he's got all sorts of powerful moves in that form...

Of course, Jak and Daxter have dealt with giant mechs before, but then again those giant mechs choreographed their attacks, making it all the more easier for Jak to defeat them. I don't know, how do you (or anyone else) think that would go down?

On 4/22/2016 at 1:33 PM, Kaotic Kanine said:

Oh man! I'm so sorry Ryan but I just recalled something that might just throw a severe monkey wrench in Jak and Daxter's ability to win: Clank can turn giant. Like, really giant. And he's got all sorts of powerful moves in that form...

Of course, Jak and Daxter have dealt with giant mechs before, but then again those giant mechs choreographed their attacks, making it all the more easier for Jak to defeat them. I don't know, how do you (or anyone else) think that would go down?

Three words.

Giant Dark Jak

latest?cb=20140504133524

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm gonna hold my breath on that until the episode airs, given that the last two death battles completely went against the conclusions they gave in their respective analysis. Of course, maybe this time Wizard and Boomstick (don't know the actual guys' names. Chad and something?) adhere to the conclusion these guys have given.

And here we are! The battle between two dudes that can shoot shit and their partners!

Spoiler

Let's just say Jak has to put it on ice for a bit and Ratchet had to crack him out of it. Poor guy.

And for the next Death Battle, DA FWASH IS SPEEDING THROUGH!

So, it's either Sonic or Quicksilver then. Does it really matter, Flash is gonna win anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Flash? What continuity are they using? The Flash has done some pretty OP shit. 

Wow, that was a terrible Death Battle.

"We look at every one of their abilities" 

Alright then, let's play a game of how much wasn't used.

-Dark Daxter

-Any of Daxter's useful appearances outside of the missile control minigame from Jak 3

-Light Jak Heal

-Light Jak Shield

-Dark Blast

-Giant Dark Jak

-Giant Clank

-A massive chunk of Jak's weapons, and his Dark abilities.

The worst thing? The way Ratchet wins is complete bullshit. We've never seen Clank able to break a time freeze just by touching Ratchet. It doesn't work like that, nor has Clank actually been able to not be frozen through time. In PS All-Stars, which was non-canon, Clank can do it for his level 2 super, but that's done for user experience. So that's the biggest piece of nonsense. The fact they win through completely bullshit means, through a fucking ability that isn't even present in the main series. This is what's called a Deus Ex Machina.

The problem I have with Death Battle is that they seem to leave out a lot of stuff or some of the things that they do add comes off as bs. Like the Mario v Sonic battle and how Sonic drowned under water then turned super to fly out despite the fact that super sonic can still drown underwater(also ignoring the fact that since sonic got hit how can he turn super his lost rings same with mario still have an ability getting hit but that sounds nitpick) or how when Mario used his Mega Mushroom and got dizzy something that has never happened in the games.  I'm sure there have been other times where DB does things wrong that I can't think of at the moment, I remember some people calling foul on Batman vs Captain America but I haven't read enough of both to see how true that is.

12 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wow, that was a terrible Death Battle.

Hide contents

"We look at every one of their abilities" 

Alright then, let's play a game of how much wasn't used.

-Dark Daxter

-Any of Daxter's useful appearances outside of the missile control minigame from Jak 3

-Light Jak Heal

-Light Jak Shield

-Dark Blast

-Giant Dark Jak

-Giant Clank

-A massive chunk of Jak's weapons, and his Dark abilities.

The worst thing? The way Ratchet wins is complete bullshit. We've never seen Clank able to break a time freeze just by touching Ratchet. It doesn't work like that, nor has Clank actually been able to not be frozen through time. In PS All-Stars, which was non-canon, Clank can do it for his level 2 super, but that's done for user experience. So that's the biggest piece of nonsense. The fact they win through completely bullshit means, through a fucking ability that isn't even present in the main series. This is what's called a Deus Ex Machina.

Spoiler

While I don't disagree, I'd just like to point out that Clank's entire gameplay in Crack in Time is focused on using time bombs, meaning he can slow everything in the area of explosion, but he remains fine even when inside said area. He also was at his normal speed at the slow motion scene where Azimuth tried to kill Ratchet, which is what they show to justify the power.

Just now, Ratcicle King said:
  Hide contents

While I don't disagree, I'd just like to point out that Clank's entire gameplay in Crack in Time is focused on using time bombs, meaning he can slow everything in the area of explosion, but he remains fine even when inside said area. He also was at his normal speed at the slow motion scene where Azimuth tried to kill Ratchet, which is what they show to justify the power.

The way I always saw that was that if Clank was the one who specifically threw the time bomb, he would be unaffected by it. Fair enough, it could work like that, but we've also seen that he can not drag anyone out of time freezes either. He saved Ratchet in A Crack in Time, but that wasn't because he broke him of a time freeze, that's because he managed to survive the small time pause and hit Ratchet out of the way.

Which I'd also argue about the slow motion thing. Again, I saw it as the great clock simply giving about 10 seconds of pause in order to allow Clank to figure out what to do. The original scene didn't have to slow motion, so again, the way I saw it wasn't Clank stopping the time freeze, but instead the user of the great watch would be immune to the next time freeze due to having activated the time jump, if that makes sense.

18 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

The problem I have with Death Battle is that they seem to leave out a lot of stuff or some of the things that they do add comes off as bs. Like the Mario v Sonic battle and how Sonic drowned under water then turned super to fly out despite the fact that super sonic can still drown underwater(also ignoring the fact that since sonic got hit how can he turn super his lost rings same with mario still have an ability getting hit but that sounds nitpick) or how when Mario used his Mega Mushroom and got dizzy something that has never happened in the games.  I'm sure there have been other times where DB does things wrong that I can't think of at the moment, I remember some people calling foul on Batman vs Captain America but I haven't read enough of both to see how true that is.

Well in recent games like Colors and 4, Super Sonic can breathe underwater and that's not Mario being dizzy, he just ran out of powerups so he was helpless.

Spoiler

Dark Daxter wouldn't have made a difference. Clank is still the more competent sidekick, he and Ratchet still have more than enough weapons and ammo to hold their own, and Jak and Daxter still have very limited Eco reserves. It doesn't really matter what weapons/abilities they used; the end result is that R&C have better weapons with more than enough ammunition to outlast any of J&D's assaults. Not to mention Daxter isn't very useful outside of his Dark form, whilst Ratchet and Clank are both perfectly capable on their own, let alone when they work together.

As for Mario vs Sonic, or any other episode, remember that the fight itself isn't what decides the winner; it's the research done. Mario getting dizzy wasn't a deciding factor. It was just a joke. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:
  Hide contents

Dark Daxter wouldn't have made a difference. Clank is still the more competent sidekick, he and Ratchet still have more than enough weapons and ammo to hold their own, and Jak and Daxter still have very limited Eco reserves. It doesn't really matter what weapons/abilities they used; the end result is that R&C have better weapons with more than enough ammunition to outlast any of J&D's assaults. Not to mention Daxter isn't very useful outside of his Dark form, whilst Ratchet and Clank are both perfectly capable on their own, let alone when they work together.

Wrong. Death Battle always go by the limit of unlimited resources, which both Ratchet and Jak have. Dark Daxter would have also made plenty of difference, considering his moveset of having many extremely powerful eco attacks, as well as forcing the two to split their focus. On top of that, Clank did jak shit (heh heh) in terms of the win, only freeing Ratchet through Deus Ex Machina nonsense that wasn't even present in the main Ratchet games

7 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Wrong. Death Battle always go by the limit of unlimited resources, which both Ratchet and Jak have. Dark Daxter would have also made plenty of difference, considering his moveset of having many extremely powerful eco attacks, as well as forcing the two to split their focus. On top of that, Clank did jak shit (heh heh) in terms of the win, only freeing Ratchet through Deus Ex Machina nonsense that wasn't even present in the main Ratchet games [/spoiler]

Spoiler

1) Oh, yeah? How would Dark Daxter have fared any better? If anything, Ratchet could just use Clank to fly away and wait until his Dark form wears off, or they could just hold him back with their weapons like they did to Dark Jak. Even if Daxter did any considerable damage, Ratchet's Nanotech would instantly heal it. Not to mention Daxter is completely uncontrollable in that form, and he wasn't a very skilled combatant to begin with.

2) Dude, you're not listening. The fight. Is not. What decides the winner. It's just for fun. Even if Clank can't canonically free other beings from time manipulation, he still could've moved Ratchet out of the way/shielded him/used the freeze gun himself. 

Heck, Ratchet could've used that transforming gun to turn J&D into sheep or rocks or whatever.

Oh, Death Battle has fucked up a lot, and I think what annoys me most is when they pull shit out of their ass when they don't have an explanation for something or simply rely on pure conjecture when they don't agree with something. For instance, in Vegeta vs Shadow, they decided to make Super Saiyan a 500% boost for every form, when the whole 50/2/4 times thing has been around for years, and was easily accessible by the general public when that Death Battle was being developed. And what the heck was the deal with Shadow's Super boost? Where the hell did the 1,000% figure come from? By far though, the dumbest thing they said was in response to someone's comment in the Goku vs Superman Death Battle. Someone naturally brought up the fact that base GT Goku was stronger than Majin Boo because Goku said Rildo was stronger, and their response was something along the lines of, "well, he's equally as dangerous as Majin Boo because he has the ability to control all the metal on the planet they're fighting on." Ignoring the fact that this is a baseless assumption, Goku specifies that Rildo's Ki is greater than Boo's before they even start fighting, and the revelation that Rildo could control all the metal on the planet came about well into their fight. Like, god damn guys... This literally requires popping in the episode, and skipping to the moment where Goku says this to gain context. And don't even get me started on the gravity formula they used to determine how strong Goku is. There are so many ways to refute that that don't involve battle powers specified in various guide books, it's not even funny. ...Sorry for the mini-rant...

Just now, Forte-Metallix said:
  Hide contents

1) Oh, yeah? How would Dark Daxter have fared any better? If anything, Ratchet could just use Clank to fly away and wait until his Dark form wears off, or they could just hold him back with their weapons like they did to Dark Jak. Even if Daxter did any considerable damage, Ratchet's Nanotech would instantly heal it. Not to mention Daxter is completely uncontrollable in that form, and he wasn't a very skilled combatant to begin with.

2) Dude, you're not listening. The fight. Is not. What decides the winner. It's just for fun. Even if Clank can't canonically free other beings from time manipulation, he still could've moved Ratchet out of the way/shield him/use the freeze gun himself.

1. I imagine that Jak wouldn't just stand there and do jack shit while Daxter was in his Dark form. Having two powerhouses tag teaming on the two could have significantly changed the playing field, and at the end of The Lost Frontier, it's implied Daxter can control the form. If we're going by point 2, it shouldn't matter anyway, because it's non-canon, which by your definition means it's all well and good to have Daxter in full control. You can't have it both ways. On top of that, Ratchet doesn't just carry Nanotech around to instantly heal himself. He needs to find the nanotech, which means an secondary assault could have easily ended Ratchet. Have Dark Daxter damage Ratchet, and have Jak jump straight in to finish the job, what do we have? One dead lombax.

2. Death Battle is meant to be using the actual facts to determine a winner. That's why they look at all of their abilities from across all of media, so they can determine once and for all who could win. This was not one of those instances. This is where they wrote themselves into a corner and pulled something out of their asses in an attempt to justify why they won in the end. They've done the same for multiple Death Battles, and this is just another in the long line of them.