Awoo.

Metroid: Other M

SuperStingray

...If only she had looked like that in Brawl.

Every time that I happen to be playing Zero Suit Samus in Brawl and I look at her face, I'm disgusted.

In Brawl, her face is too long, and her features are too masculine - so even with that figure and skin-tight suit, it's hard to think of her as anything but ugly.

But with that artwork...

what is this strange sensation i feel between my legs

*disturbing image*

The Zero Suit is much more different than I thought.

Agh, no, get that horrible picture out of my sight. XD

*averts eyes*

That mole/birthmark/whatever.

WHY? It must be photoshopped out, then she can become mai waifu.

Back off, biatch.

She's MINE.

I think so yeah.

They weren't exactly as tall.

They were more like combat boots originally, but here they look more like combat...high heels or something.

Back off, biatch.

She's MINE.

Not if I have anything to say about it.

Go ahead, just try and do something. *pulls out Spartan Laser* I DARE ya.

I'm debating on whether to get Dead Rising 2 or this game for the Fall. On one hand this looks like an even deeper Metroid than ever which has captivated my interest but part of me cant shake the feeling that I'm not that sold on the little footage I have seen so far.

Then again I only remember seeing the E3 trailer from 09 and a number of gameplay pics from a few months ago. What's the most recent trailer or gameplay clip? Can someone give me the heads up on it?

Not if I have anything to say about it.

Go ahead, just try and do something. *pulls out Spartan Laser* I DARE ya.

*pulls out shotgun*

*cocks gun*

*aims @ Ovarloard*

*BLAM!*

*BLAM!*

*BLAM!*

*pulls out Rocket Laucher*

*FFWWOOSSH!*

*BOOOM!*

*pulls out Spartan Laser*

*wwrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

*KKSSHOOOOM!*

Now what have we learned? ;)

You've already killed me once before.

You can't kill someone who's ALREADY DEAD. :P

Edited by Ovarloard

That mole/birthmark/whatever.

WHY? It must be photoshopped out, then she can become mai waifu.

Don't you dare. It's the cutest thing ever.

Right, so. The game that this has to do with. Um, it'll be sad to see health and missile power-ups go, but those seem to have been appearing pretty sporadically for a while now, what with the X in Fusion and the Phazon powerups in Prime 3. I actually do sort of like the idea of "focusing" as a simpler alternative to farming constantly-spawning enemies, though. I wonder how fast it is.

You've already killed me once before.

You can't kill someone who's ALREADY DEAD. :P

What the hell do you think we have respawns for? B)

*KKSSHOOOOM!*

Lasers. Ya gotta love'em. I can't wait to try out the lasers in this game...or plasma cannon...er, you know what I meant.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

What the hell do you think we have respawns for? B)

*KKSSHOOOOM!*

Oh yeah? Well, uh, hmmm, oh yeah, I'm operating on a slow internet connection. Y'know, lag and all of that. I still haven't respawned.XD

Lasers. Ya gotta love'em. I can't wait to try out the lasers in this game...or plasma cannon...er, you know what I meant.

I can't wait to try out the new weapons either - if they do include any. The focus seems to have been shifted off of guns/blasters and more onto melee attacks, and first person mode so far looks like it reuses basic weapons/weapons of old. (Here's hoping we still see those awesome new weapons.)

You just don't understand the concept of a waifu.

I don't even understand that word.

Seriously guys, are we pretending to fight in a topic about a cartoon character?

This is far too silly, I won't have it.

I don't even understand that word.

Seriously guys, are we pretending to fight in a topic about a cartoon character?

This is far too silly, I won't have it.

who says we are pretending

BUT OK back on topic now. Only 23 days left here in the US to blisfully anticipate the release of the gam--

oh wait. I forgot. School.

If only the game had been released in June as was planned. :U

Edited by Ovarloard

*sexy picture of extreme sexyness*

Come on Justin Bailey mode!

...holy shamoly.

My excitement levels for this game have suddenly just shot through the roof. Screw the story, screw the gameplay, it's all about the jiggle physics! Hellz yeah :P

You people sicken me.

On an equally sick note, Team Ninja is developing this.

And Samus' bust has not increased.

In fact, the Zero Suit doesn't even bring attention to her chest as much any more.

What is happening.

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but...

According to this guy, Metroid: Other M is a fun game.

and surprise surprise! He says the controls are no problem, and that the only worrying part is the story.

Or rather, the long, unskippable cutscenes. Some of the cutscenes are bound to be the same thing we've seen in previous games, and I don't want to have to sit through a cutscene that I'll barely be watching. I'd rather skip to the action, but apparently that's not an option in this game.

Major turn-off for me right here, although I'll probably end up getting the game anyways.

Or rather, the long, unskippable cutscenes. Some of the cutscenes are bound to be the same thing we've seen in previous games, and I don't want to have to sit through a cutscene that I'll barely be watching. I'd rather skip to the action, but apparently that's not an option in this game.

What now? It takes place just directly after Super Metroid. We'll see an revised and redone CGI ending of Super, and POSSIBLY at the end, a revised CGI prologue to Fusion. Everything else will more than likely come from Other M.

Also are you really saying that you DON'T want to see one of the best moments on the SNES made CGI and several times more epic? Because that is sad.

What this guy is complaining about is the fact that it's starting slowly and the story takes up more than the gameplay.

It's kind of a stupid thing to complain about, honestly. That's how games usually start. You start the plot, give some slower gameplay so people can get used to it, and then speed things up as it goes on. They even say in the interview that they condensed everything. I wouldn't be surprised if the cutscenes AREN'T skippable the first time through, but every other time I doubt it.

Good read, the game looks very promising. It also highlights the fact that a massive effort has been made to blend the game and the cutscenes seamlessly and the cutscenes themselves have no corners cut whatsoever. Skippable cutscenes would be absolutely ridiculous for a game like this, and I'm glad they've not considered that feature. Too many games have a thoroughly enjoyable story that you try to show someone, only to have them skip the cutscenes and then complain that they don't know what's going on. It's always difficult to explain to the cops why you threw someone out of a closed window half an hour ago.

psst that was a joke for those who are paranoid and/or slow

It's kind of a stupid thing to complain about, honestly. That's how games usually start.
Doesn't make it right. Games should speak primarily through gameplay; cutscenes are useful, of course, but they shouldn't be relied on for everything. If anything, the game should start you with the gameplay first, let you get into things and let the game impress itself on you, and then start letting the bigger cutscenes leak in later on.

Skippable cutscenes would be absolutely ridiculous for a game like this, and I'm glad they've not considered that feature.
There is no defensible position that supports not having skippable cutscenes. If people are going to skip cutscenes their first time through and then complain about not knowing what's going on, it's their own damn fault for being stupid. If they don't care about the story, or have already seen it and don't want to see it again, they should be able to skip it.
  • Thumbs Up 2

Doesn't make it right. Games should speak primarily through gameplay; cutscenes are useful, of course, but they shouldn't be relied on for everything.

Okay, so if you're never told to shoot this thing, or how, how do you know how to shoot what and where?

There is a reason for heavy tutorial cutscenes. Which are the ones he's complaining about.

If anything, the game should start you with the gameplay first, let you get into things and let the game impress itself on you, and then start letting the bigger cutscenes leak in later on.

Except for just about every story heavy or medium game forever. Sonic Unleashed started with a large, epic cutscene that lasted at least 6-7 minutes. Mass Effect 2 gives you a long sequence BEFORE the tutorial with one spot where the player is in control, but on a linear path with little exploration. Fusion has a decently lengthy cutscene before the gameplay starts.

Any story heavy game will have heavy cutscenes near the beginning. They're made to start the plot and get you into the game, without them, it just couldn't have as much focus on the story.

There is no defensible position that supports not having skippable cutscenes.

"Hey, what's going on now? Where am I supposed to go?"

"They just said where to go, but you skipped it halfway through."

"Oh darn!"

If people are going to skip cutscenes their first time through and then complain about not knowing what's going on, it's their own damn fault for being stupid.

Except this could possibly have the people who don't skip stuck in the same area. Is that good? No. Easier to force people to know what's going on than hope they're not idiots.

Removal of choice prevents the wrong one.

If they don't care about the story, or have already seen it and don't want to see it again, they should be able to skip it.

Nobody has gotten to that point yet however. It's all been demos made so that you can't skip so people can see the story and not fuck up and make others wait. It's made and designed to get you through and done so the next person can get in. If you skip shit it might end up taking you longer.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, so if you're never told to shoot this thing, or how, how do you know how to shoot what and where?
By trying things, maybe? Or reading the instruction manual? Or maybe they put some hints in during the gameplay so you can figure out what to do? You don't (and shouldn't) solve everything just by dumping cutscenes and condescending tutorials on it.

Any story heavy game will have heavy cutscenes near the beginning. They're made to start the plot and get you into the game, without them, it just couldn't have as much focus on the story.
Horseshit, the story wouldn't suffer one bit if they added a level or two before the cutscenes kicked in. And, again, not everything has to be solved by tossing cutscenes around; for Unleashed, for example, how about they make Eggman's fleet a tutorial level, introduce the basic gameplay and the start of the story through it, and only start up the major cutscenes once Eggman and his mech show up (or when Sonic's about to go Super, or whenever).

"Hey, what's going on now? Where am I supposed to go?"

"They just said where to go, but you skipped it halfway through."

"Oh darn!"

If people are going to skip cutscenes their first time through and then complain about not knowing what's going on, it's their own damn fault for being stupid.

Easier to force people to know what's going on than hope they're not idiots.
Oh, yes, let's take the easy route and pander to idiots, that's obviously going to make for a good game!

If you want people to know for sure where to go, put something in the game that'll tell them whether or not they watch the cutscenes. After all, if we can't count on them to not skip cutscenes, why should we assume they're going to pay attention to them? Put an "Objectives" list in the pause menu, put a marker on the map, have the character keep a journal. Things like these are good game design anyway; they're worth putting in whether or not cutscenes are skippable, so the issue should be solved before that even comes up.

Removal of choice prevents the wrong one.
If you can't make the wrong choice, you aren't playing a game. Has gaming really lost its balls to the point where we can't even risk players making a wrong choice? Fuck, they may as well ditch the game and just ship the movie version.

Nobody has gotten to that point yet however. It's all been demos made so that you can't skip so people can see the story and not fuck up and make others wait. It's made and designed to get you through and done so the next person can get in. If you skip shit it might end up taking you longer.
For a demo, it's fine, whatever. But this shit shouldn't be in the full game.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind it when a game begins with a few cutscenes, so that preview hasn't made me worry unduly about the final product. Overexposing the cutscenes so much really was an unwise choice for the demo, though, and I hope they're actually skippable in the final product. It's not something I'd be likely to use too much, even on playthroughs after the first, but being able to skip cutscenes is just such a basic thing now that I can't imagine why it wouldn't be included. If cutscenes aren't skippable, I hope they've at least had the decency to not put any before boss fights.

...side note: With how prominent Samus' history with the GF seems to be in this game, I'm worried about whether we'll see the Chozo at all. I'd be happy with even a token mention, but what I really want to see is a proper flashback of Samus as a child frolicking on Zebes with the giant bird people. If Adam's getting as much screen time as he seems to be, the Chozo deserve at least that.

Gfs_52848_2_2.jpg

MORE OF THIS, NINTENDO