Awoo.

Dragon Ball (Warning: Untagged Spoilers)

FourCartridge

Well its not surprising, we are gonna be seeing new saiyans coming from Universe 6. I figured it'd be too ridiculous to think it was gonna be an evil goku and vegeta.

Dragon Ball Super is kicking some serious ass right now. Episode 21 changed a fair amount of stuff that happened in Resurrection F. 

-Tagoma(Tall, gray, skinny dude) trained with Freeza and became very strong.

-Tagoma kills Shisami(Red, bull-like dude), and by extension wounds Gohan in the process.

-Gotenks will appear next episode.

-Ginyu will indeed switch bodies with Tagoma.

-Krillin owned the Frieza soldiers after they insulted him, once with a punch in the face and the Scatter Kamehameha.

-Derp Tien.

And people say Super isnt cool.

Like we all thought, Toei is fixing Super's animation quirks that were bugged in the first airing versions.

So, remember Episode 5 of Super? And remember how even though it was like, one bad episode, people still won't shut up about it? Well, it turns out that Toei fixed some of it on the new Blu-ray in Japan.

http://imgur.com/FfNnel4
http://imgur.com/LQTgIsN
http://imgur.com/mf5fm6I
http://imgur.com/TlyW3dH
  • Thumbs Up 2

I had a feeling that might happen. I've heard of shows getting updated/cleaned up animation for home release before, so I'm really happy to see that Super will be getting this treatment as well. Guess we can expect these masters when the show is finally licensed by FUNimation.

LMAO, IMO still looks kinda goofy.

The main problem is the animation itself, so while fixing the visuals will help its still a weirdly produced fight scene.

Well, maybe it's just me, but this rendition of Resurrection of F is getting more interesting than the movie itself

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, maybe it's just me, but this rendition of Resurrection of F is getting more interesting than the movie itself

Same here, man.

At the very least, the fact that Ginyu is returning to help Frieza deal with the Z Warriors is making for a nice change of pace.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tagoma's character development and Ginyu's return were already pretty cool, but Gotenks showing up also has me excited. I can't wait for tomorrow's episode. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1. Why are we using spoilers? The episode came one week ago.

2. Isnt Ginyu supposed to talk for the body change?

3. I dont like they choose to change with Tagoma after he got such character development.

4.  I would really like to get Jeice back in the saga. He's my favourite member of the Ginyu Force

Not everyone has seen episode 21 or the preview for episode 22. Heck, some people have opted not to view Super at all yet. 

I find it stupid not to watch the seeries because it isnt the GREAT FUNIMATION DUB. Japanese version is better.

Also, why is the original Dragonball so underrated. It was awesome. For me, its better than DBZ.

Most people who I've seen who like or prefer Japanese voice acting in anime in general tend to make an immediate exception for DBZ, and it's not hard to see why. A few key characters like Goku and his sons, Krillin, and to a point Vegeta stand in such stark contrast to their American counterparts in both tone and performance that it's a seriously acquired taste. On top of that, King Kai's performance in Japanese is getting reamed by his actor's age, while the younger Schemmel can continue voicing him with some appropriate energy. 

This might have been a more understandable argument back in the days where FUNI's actors were greenhorns trying to dub this thing on old tape technology, but Kai's uncut English dub and the new films are literally the best work they've ever done and some of the most enjoyable dubbing I've ever heard in general. While I've finally come to respect Nozawa's Goku performance at least, if this were being simulcast I would just never watch it in Japanese. There's honestly no point.

• Thumbs Up 5

I find it stupid not to watch the seeries because it isnt the GREAT FUNIMATION DUB. Japanese version is better.

Also, why is the original Dragonball so underrated. It was awesome. For me, its better than DBZ.

I personally do not like elitism either way. Japanese is not always better and English is not always better/ In the first place, each is going to be purely subjective for each and every person. Me personally, If eel certain things work better with their English dubs- for example, Puni Puni Poemi is NOWHERE near as funny in Japanese to me, same with Excel Saga.

I actually prefer the English voice cast for DBZ because I cannot stand Goku's high-pitched feminine-sounding voice. It fit him as a kid, but to me it makes no sense to me that they kept the actor for his entire adult life. It's especially annoying to me the way he yells "Frieza!" in Japanese. But these are just my opinions and I know people will disagree or agree: but I'm not going say "one version is better", as if it's a fact.

Edited by Shade Vortex

I don't hate dubs at all, and I even prefer some dubs over the original Japanese... but Dragon Ball is something I'll never say is better in English.

Most people who start with the English dub are quick to dismiss the Japanese voices and music as bad because they only watch a few clips here and there. They hear Goku with a higher voice, and they hear a totally different style of music without even really trying to understand why because it's different from what they're used to. I can understand why that happens since I did the same exact thing. However, if you started to watch Dragon Ball up until Z in Japanese first, you'd most likely not even question why Nozawa was kept as Goku. To a lot of people, she is Goku— she grew as the character since he was a child and even 30 years later continues to voice him as an adult and in all forms of media. Throughout the show her voice evolved along with him, and that's an aspect we don't get to see in the English dub. Does this give, for example, Sean Schemmel any less credit? No... he's been voicing Goku for a long time too, but a different Goku.

Goku in the original Japanese version is written differently than he is in the dub, even when it comes to his dialgoue. For example, he speaks with a hick accent. This, amongst other things, has never been carried over into the dub. Funimation also used to write him as an anime Superman, which was a contradiction of his character and never really fixed it until Kai came along... unless you count the video games and stuff. Schemmel is good at Goku now, but he’s still not the Goku that was originally written. He’s come a long way, though—it’s not his fault, but rather Funimation's.

If I’m allowed to be blunt, the way Funimation treated the series as a whole is pretty disrespectful, especially considering how they handle all their other properties. Sure, they’re much better now, but they’re not perfect. While their dub of Kai is great (and has the amazing Chris Ayres as Freeza <3), it’s still full of issues: plenty of dubisms are kept, terminology is inconsistent, and some voices still weren’t fixed. Another beef I have with the way Funimation treats the series is in the home release department—there have been so many versions out on the market, and each one is almost literally marketed as the “definitive” version by Funimation. A lot of it is misleading, and they lie to the general consumers that don’t really know any better. Cropping 20% of the screen doesn’t make it a legitimate “widescreen transfer.” At one point, there were literally four different versions of the show out on shelves: the orange bricks, the Blu-rays, the Dragon Boxes, and Kai, which flooded the market and I'm sure was confusing to consumers. Nowadays, while there are less versions on the market, Funimation still continues to mess with the aspect ratio and Kai has taken a massive backseat to the original flawed dub, making all versions out right now unnecessarily flawed in one way or another.

The original dub is a product of its time, guilty for many of the things 4Kids got slammed for... yet, to this day, it still gets defended by ignorant people who don't want to understand or refuse to accept it as anything less than perfect. I see these same people saying DBZ is the only anime they prefer the English version for, but then bash Kai because it doesn’t have Faulconer’s music, changes dialogue, and has cuts/edits. They’re heavily misinformed, and just overall ignorant. If they’re aware of all the differences and have seen a decent amount of both, I can't hold it against them if they prefer the English dub. They’re just looking for a different product than I am, and it doesn’t make me or them any better. It just becomes headache-inducing when you say you like the Japanese version and immediately get labeled as a weeaboo (even by people who prefer every anime except DBZ in Japanese). On the other hand, though, people that prefer the dub are also quickly assumed to be blinded by nostalgia. It’s not always the case, and some people in this fandom just kinda suck.

So, yeah… Funimation is pretty much all over the place, which each release varying largely in quality and even their best work is (unfortunately) not as good as it could be. The original version has more charm, consistency, and overall feels more complete. Is it because it’s in Japanese? No. I grew up with the Funimation dub, and after having seen it in both English and Japanese, the Japanese version overall feels like the superior product by a long shot. I’m so glad I decided to give it a chance.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, after marathoning random fights and clips on YouTube, I've finally decided I want to give DBZ a try, so I'm getting both Season 1 and Season 2 of DBZ for Christmas.

I heard die hard DBZ fans don't like the yellow DBZ boxsets. But in terms of a newcomer to the series, would I still be able to enjoy it through those boxsets?

• Thumbs Up 1

So, after marathoning random fights and clips on YouTube, I've finally decided I want to give DBZ a try, so I'm getting both Season 1 and Season 2 of DBZ for Christmas.

I heard die hard DBZ fans don't like the yellow DBZ boxsets. But in terms of a newcomer to the series, would I still be able to enjoy it through those boxsets?

The yellow ones? If you mean the Dragon Boxes, those are the good ones! :lol:

I assume you mean the orange sets, which are more infamously known as the orange bricks. Yeah, they're very flawed, but the good thing is they're really cheap. If you're a newcomer and are getting into it casually, I'd say go ahead and get the orange bricks. You'll enjoy it just fine. Besides the Blu-rays, which also have most of the same issues as the orange bricks, there's really no other affordable way for you to purchase the show. If DBZ Kai is an option for you, I definitely say go with that over the orange bricks. It's a much better product.

Yeah, I was about to say, do you mean the orange bricks? I wonder though, are the orange bricks really that much cheaper than the blu-rays?

*checks*

Yeah, they're a fair amount cheaper. 

Edited by ThePrinceOfSaiyajins

Holy shit, what an episode!

-Gotenks appears briefly just to headbutt Tagoma in the crotch. After that he diffuses. Must have taken him a while to get there...

-Ginyu switches bodies with Tagoma by writing the word change in the dirt, and having Tagoma say it out loud.

-Freeza sees Trunks and is reminded of, well, Trunks.

-Freeza turns Gohan into Swiss cheese by shooting him with a myriad of death beams.

-Before the final death beam though, Piccolo jumps in front of it, and well, is at the very least unconscious. He could be dead. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So just came from watching today's episode although I was in a bit late, but while some things are kinda crappy (Gohan who once beat cell now having trouble with Ginyu)  plot-wise, this was an awesome episode and some nice changes to the original story. For those of you who want to be spoiled :

So Ginyu manages to change bodies with Tagoma, Ginyu in frog form goes to an exhausted Tagoma and writes on the ground, which causes the confused Tagoma to say "change" out loud which causes the switch. Ginyu battles Gohan and he's beating the ever-living crap out of him,til Gohan finally turns SSJ and battles Ginyu gaining the upperhand. After some time Gohan decides it's enough and says something aking to what Goku said once to Frieza (Something along the lines of "it's not worth it anymore" "you already lost" ) or something, which brings bad memories to Frieza xD.  The enraged tyrant proceeds to death beam the hell out of Gohan, holes in legs, chest, arms everywhere, Gohan loses his SSJ state and before he gets blasted once more with a powerful death beam .... Piccolo jumps in and takes the shot for Gohan! i-it's like the saiyan saga all over again ;w;  Anyways good stuff! ~ Can't wait for next one!

Edited by dabbido

Im still not sure about teen Gohan beign stronger than Cell.

Vegeta helped him at the kamehameha wave.

He had a broken arm from protecting Vegeta from a powerful blast from Cell, he himself stated he could only use half his full power in that condition, before then, the moment Cell comes back, Gohan is ready to fight him, implying even then he had more than enough power to beat Cell, but Vegeta jumped right into the fight and Gohan had to take a shot for him.

Also Vegeta didn't as much help with the Kamehameha wave as he distracted Cell for a split-second, which was enough for Gohan's attack to overpower Cell's, with only one arm mind you, and Cell couldn't make a comeback from that, while Gohan had a few instances in that very fight where Cell got that close to overpower him and he managed to balance it out.

In the end, Gohan is stronger than Cell, it was just that Vegeta fucked up and he needed a distraction to overpower Cell with enough power that he would not be able to make a comeback in time.