Awoo.

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

Detective Shadzter

Is this

I was thinking more along the lines of the Modern Warfare 2 boycotts in which they ended up getting the game anyway - you wouldn't colour me particularly surprised if exactly that ended up happening here too, considering Bayo's rep.

He did say to buy the console used as well, so it's not like he neglected that possibility.

Of course doing that means you're spending that much anyway.

It happened, it's not the best situation, but it isn't really going to happen any other way.

Speaking of sales.

Does anyone remember when Vanquish was coming out? One of the pre-order/day 1 bonus' for some retailers was amazingly, a new copy of Bayonetta. Would those have counted as sales or not?

No, because that was leftover stock they were trying to relinquish. SEGA's sales numbers to their games are determined by what the retailers buy from them, not the point of sale with the customer.

Personally, I just don't want to buy a new console to play a sequel to a game I really enjoyed on my ps3. Isn't that a legitimate excuse to be slightly upset? Given, I said that I plan to get a Wii U, but not any time soon, seeing how I will be living on my own in a few months and funds will be tight. For some, it isn't a matter of "Oh, just go buy the new console and the game." I now fully understand the circumstances that lead to this exclusive decision, but I can't help but be a little upset. Happy to see PG and SEGA do more with Bayonetta, but upset that I won't be able to play it any time soon after its release

Same exact situation for me, that's why I've said I'm upset.

Like some members said already, there's a difference between "I'm upset and I don't like that the game is a exclusive" and "DIE NINTENDO I'LL BURN YOU DOWN AND YOU GO DIE TOO PLATINUM".

• Thumbs Up 5

These people have no idea what it is like to have a game exclusively made for a console.

Kingdom Hearts? PS2

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories? GBA

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days? DS

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep? PSP

Kingdom Hearts Coded? Smartphone

Kingdom Hearts 3D? 3DS

• Thumbs Up 6

These people have no idea what it is like to have a game exclusively made for a console.

Kingdom Hearts? PS2

Kingdom Hearts 3D? 3DS

Don't get me start on the KH exclusivity crap. At this point I'm just gonna wait another decade or so until Square releases a "KH Anniversary Collection"

Still hoping Bayonetta 2 can pull a Ninja Gaiden II. =P However it depends on how well this game will sell on the Wii U. >.<

Still hoping Bayonetta 2 can pull a Ninja Gaiden II. =P However it depends on how well this game will sell on the Wii U. >.<

..But the game is being funded by Nintendo. It isn't going to be ported.

Edit: Oooh, NG2 was published by Microsoft and then published by their own company on PS3. I bet matters are much more complicated here. I'm sure Tecmo just needed someone to publish their game, while Nintendo is most likely funding development and taking a role in here. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up seeing Nintendo in the credits list as some of the developers.

There is also the problem with the Wii U being more powerful than the 360. The Wii U has 1GB Ram, more powerful GPU, and a faster updated CPU. This means if the game is developed for the Wii U, you might end up seeing many sacrifices if it ever ended up being ported.

Edit 2: Maybe not? I'm seeing Tecmo on the cover of Ninja Gaiden 2. Could Microsoft have just bought exclusivity rights for some time? Microsoft does that all the time so this could explain why Microsoft had some sort of cooperation for NG 2.

Edited by Autosaver

For someone who knows fuck all about Ninja Gaiden, was it originally an exclusive title that eventually got published and released on another console by a different company?

I do wonder about Bayonetta 2 further down the line, if SEGA ever get their act back together (which is never going to happen, so this is of course just theoretical). SEGA own the Bayonetta property, and I'd assume that means they own Bayonetta 2 even if they aren't publishing it. They are mentioned in the trailer after all. I suppose these such details are probably covered in whatever contract SEGA and Nintendo have in place, but I'd be surprised if SEGA were never allowed to re-publish or port the game themselves. Nintendo published Rush Adventure in Korea, and handle the Mario and Sonic series in Japan.

Nintendo are publishing Bayonetta 2, but what rights do they hold to it? A port sounds utterly unlikely either way, but I do have to wonder.

Edited by Blue Blood

It won't, it's published by Nintendo. Ninja Gaiden 2 wasn't published by Microsoft.

Ninja Gaiden 2 wasn't published by Microsoft.

Yes it was... O.o

Ninja Gaiden II was published by Microsoft, then years later an enhanced port of the original called Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 came out on PS3 published by Tecmo.

EDIT: I think if we ever going to see Bayonetta 2 on different consoles, the port has to be enhanced like with new modes and animation just like Ninja Gaiden was.

Edited by Shana

It won't, it's published by Nintendo. Ninja Gaiden 2 wasn't published by Microsoft.

It was, actually.

This is still a different case from the Ninja Gaiden 2, as that game was made by a company that's a subsidiary of Tecmo, who funded the project in it's entirety and published Sigma 2. The original Ninja Gaiden game was published by Tecmo and Eidos on the Xbox, and the deal that went down in the sequel's case was, much like Autosaver probably surmised, a timed exclusivity ordeal.

Platinum is an independent third party that licenses itself for different publishers. Considering the relation between Nintendo and Platinum it's more likely to assume that Nintendo didn't want to repeat the Capcom Five fiasco and probably bought up license rights, much like how Marvel licensed it's properties to movie makers before they established a movie studio, and then essentially let the studios keep the dead weight. When it comes to the properties that they actually would want to have back though, they'd have to pay quite a bit to get that license back.

If anything this sounds more comparable to the deals Rare do with Nintendo every once in a while once they make Microsoft property games on Nintendo consoles since Microsoft don't have portables. Most of the actual revenue will go to Nintendo while Sega will only get a fraction of the property rights. If the game doesn't break more than a million much like last time, the ordeal would mean very little to them.

That and, considering how absolutely shitty Sega has treated Platinum these past few months, I doubt they'll ever return to actually do work on anything involving them, which also adds onto the fact that Sega are in a way too terrible financial position to actually support an enhanced re-release for the audience they'd hope to score. If there will be some sort of remake, it's doubtful that it'll be Platinum handling it. And it'd probably be shit.

Did not know that. Still, this is a bit different than paying for distribution. This is Nintendo throwing money at the project to keep it alive, since SEGA is too incompetent to handle even their own franchises correctly. From what I understand, SEGA has basically nothing to do with this one, they're not helping in any way.

Did not know that. Still, this is a bit different than paying for distribution. This is Nintendo throwing money at the project to keep it alive, since SEGA is too incompetent to handle even their own franchises correctly. From what I understand, SEGA has basically nothing to do with this one, they're not helping in any way.

They're "overseeing the project", which probably means they're just being asked to okay everything without really giving much input.

Kingdom Hearts? PS2

Kingdom Hearts 3D? 3DS

Play Dream Drop and you never have to play Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 2, Chain of Memories, Birth By Sleep, (Re:)Coded, and 358/2 XD

I know what you mean though. Although Chain was later re-released as Re:Chain for Ps2, so I wouldn't personally count that, although there was quite a gap between releases

From what I understand, SEGA has basically nothing to do with this one, they're not helping in any way.

But at the end of the day, they own the franchise. Not Nintendo. Not even Platinum Games. Sega can even create Bayonetta Racing or some spinoff without Platinum Games' permission. It's a possibility that other consoles will get it. However depends on Platinum Games AND Sega and if they want to go ahead and do it.

The reason why it's a Wii U exclusive, is because obviously Nintendo funded Platinum Games to finish this game. Similar to what Microsoft did with Ninja Gaiden II, they funded Team Ninja to release the game exclusive for Xbox 360. Microsoft probably knew when they shook hands on the deal, it won't last long as an exclusive. But the consumers (us) didn't know that did we? Until the contract breaks or states they can make a new port for competitor consoles from (insert date).

It probably has to be an improved port though. It can't be a direct one. And Platinum Games must have an interest on enhancing the port.

That and, considering how absolutely shitty Sega has treated Platinum these past few months, I doubt they'll ever return to actually do work on anything involving them, which also adds onto the fact that Sega are in a way too terrible financial position to actually support an enhanced re-release for the audience they'd hope to score. If there will be some sort of remake, it's doubtful that it'll be Platinum handling it. And it'd probably be shit.

Sega never treated Platinum Games like shit. You honestly don't think Sega wants to promote their games and get Bayonetta 2 out for all consoles?! As you said, there are in a terrible financial state, therefore that's why they can't support PG for the time-being. I'm sure Platinum Games truly understands how Sega is in a bad position at the moment and I'm sure if Sega asks them to do anything, they will do it when Sega are in a wealthy position again. Platinum Games developed quite a number of games for Sega, and they wouldn't be awesome as they are today without Sega's help.

I mean if Sega are treating Platinum Games like shit like you said, this Bayonetta 2 announcement would have never happened.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega never treated Platinum Games like shit. You honestly don't think Sega wants to promote their games and get Bayonetta 2 out for all consoles?! As you said, there are in a terrible financial state, therefore that's why they can't support PG for the time-being. I'm sure Platinum Games truly understands how Sega is in a bad position at the moment and I'm sure if Sega asks them to do anything, they will do it when Sega are in a wealthy position again. Platinum Games developed quite a number of games for Sega, and they wouldn't be awesome as they are today without Sega's help.

Yeah... but to have such a great developer make such great titles under your name (SEGA, in this case) to do so poorly in advertisement and "getting the word out," intentional or not, that is kind of like SEGA treating PG like shit.

Sega never treated Platinum Games like shit. You honestly don't think Sega wants to promote their games and get Bayonetta 2 out for all consoles?!

A company that worked their asses off throughout a multitude of delays to bring a title that Sega actively asked for them to make, dedicated to the western market with a release date set and ready, get's pulled out of fucking nowhere weeks before release with no accurate release in sight unbeknownst to the company and their higher ups, only to be released in Japan to a tanking audience isn't supposed to be seen as an asshole-ish practice? And Sega not even keeping their beloved "fans", including Platinum, updated on the issue?

Yeah ok.

Platinum Games developed quite a number of games for Sega, and they wouldn't be awesome as they are today without Sega's help.

If by help you mean shoving out four titles out of the way of which only one got any slight coverage and retaining the licenses for themselves is supposed to be much of help then there's some low standards in play here. Bayonetta is strictly a cult item, and when the developers responsible for it don't even inherit the license, that's not a good thing. It's thanks to Sega that Bayo 2 is a Wii U exclusive to begin with.

As said, Sega only owns the property of which the game is being licensed and the game is not a property of theirs. As far as the actual game of this goes, they literally have nothing on it, and they probably never will considering how they didn't even want this game published by their own hands. That alone is what sets this game apart from the Ninja Gaiden 2 comparison no matter who owns the character, along with the fact that Microsoft published that game under a timed exclusivity. Sigma 2 was a reason to make up for it's delayed porting. This is staying where it is, and there's no way Nintendo are going to want to be fucked over again a la Capcom Five which was pretty much meant to be what this is.

• Thumbs Up 9

People keep spreading that Ninja Gaiden II was published by Microsoft with absolutely no proof. I can provide proof of the contrary, that Tecmo published it-

http://www.gamefaqs....-gaiden-ii/data

http://marketplace.x...15-d802544307d5

(^Overview page 2/2)

All Microsoft did was pay for a timed-exclusive. They did not fund or publish the game.

Edited by Hersparkidicus Optimaximus

http://www.1up.com/p...inja-gaiden-2_4

As Microsoft is set to announce at a pre-Tokyo Game Show press event shortly, Ninja Gaiden 2 is real, heading to Xbox 360, and -- in an unusual twist -- being published by Microsoft itself, rather than Tecmo. While still under development by Tecmo's Team Ninja, the publisher shift puts it next to games like Halo 3 and Mass Effect as part of Microsoft's first-party lineup.

http://uk.ign.com/ar...ially-announced

The sequel will be exclusive to Xbox 360 in 2008 according to Microsoft. In a TGS trailer released for the game, we find that Microsoft is tied to the game, and Tecmo's logo strangely absent.

It seems like that was outdated information that didn't stay true for what the final deal ended up being, and nobody bothered to get a clarification because they stuck with the original information.

Still, the situation with Bayonetta 2 is dissimilar to what Microsoft secured with Ninja Gaiden II.