Awoo.

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

Detective Shadzter

No. NG2 was published by Microsoft and announced as such. They couldn't even make special edition figurines without Microsoft's consent. The links I posted were from the time the game was revealed and the question was directly asked to staff from the involved parties, which is more reliable than online datasheets maintained by interns.

But, you may be partially right if we factor in time: after a while, the rights would have reverted to Tecmo who'd be listed as publisher for subsequent editions, such as the Platinum Hits release.

So? Microsoft still funded and distributed the game. That's publishing.

I don't even know why you'd doubt what they specifically said. They can't lie on the subject without pissing off shareholders, and why would they even make it up?

I was always under the impression that it was made by Team Ninja and Microsoft simply paid to have it only on their system for a limited of time. Learn something new everyday.

No, they invested on the game's development and had a hand in marketing/distribution. Much more involved than purchasing timed exclusivity.

That's why nobody expected the game to go multi.

edit: It was still solely made by Team Ninja and Microsoft never owned the IP, though.

Edited by Dobkeratops

Thats what I meant, or was trying to say, that Team Ninja made the game. Microsoft simply gave Team Ninja money.. I should've just say that. Thanks for the clearer information bro. biggrin.png

Edited by Vicki Turner

Platinum states in no uncertain terms that Nintendo pretty much is responsible for Bayonetta 2 even existing, and they're just as pissed off about the Anarchy Reigns thing as everyone else.

"Would Bayonetta 2 not exist without Nintendo? The answer is yes," says Atsushi Inaba, executive director at Platinum Games. He tells Polygon that Nintendo, the sequel's publisher, was a key partner in getting the game made.

"We are not viewing this as a change of platform," Inaba told Polygon in an interview at Tokyo Game Show. "We were looking for a partner to create Bayonetta 2 and Nintendo was a strong, cooperative partner that was willing to create and grow Bayonetta 2together [with us]. As a result the platform became the Wii U."

In the wake of Bayonetta 2's announcement as an exclusive for the Wii U, some fans vocalized their displeasure, hoping that the sequel would be released on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 like the original Bayonetta. Developers at Platinum Games said in a series of statements this week that it does not want to alienate its fans.

Sega was responsible for publishing the original Bayonetta, but the company has since scaled back on the number of titles it publishes. Platinum Games and Sega's most recent collaboration, Anarchy Reigns, has not been published outside of Japan, a source of frustration for Inaba. He says he still doesn't know when Anarchy Reigns will be released overseas, as Sega has not offered him an update.

Regardless of the change of platform from PS3 and Xbox 360 to Wii U, Inaba says it won't impact Bayonetta 2's core gameplay.

"We create the basic framework of our games on the PC, so even though the hardware changes it doesn't influence the creation of our games. We've already developed our own engine to work with multiple platforms.

"Because of the Wii U GamePad, we are putting extra thought into how to use these differentiating features," Inaba said. "There's a difference in the game design side, but we are enjoying the challenges of creating games for new hardware."

Nintendo and Platinum Games haven't revealed much about Bayonetta 2, releasing only a short teaser trailer. The trailer echoes the teaser of the original Bayonetta with a few key differences: a crescent moon replaces the full moon, red tones are replaced by blues, and Bayonetta's enemy now rebuffs her attacks, implying a more formidable foe. Inaba explains why the developer chose to release a nearly identical trailer for the sequel.

"Toward the end of development of Bayonetta, I was talking with Kamiya-san and Hashimoto-san, and they said 'If Bayonetta 2 ever happens, we want the teaser trailer to be the same as [the first] Bayonetta,'" he said. "We wanted to make it the same becauseBayonetta is a title that has been loved by many people and we wanted fans to say 'Oh! Bayonetta's back again!'"

Inaba wouldn't offer details on what's coming in the sequel, instead asking fans to speculate about what they've shown so far.

"All of the new things you see in the trailer, we can't talk about at all at this point. We're leaving it up to your imagination."

So, yeah, everyone's suspicions were completely correct, and it seems Platinum is not keen on dealing with Sega ever again.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, i hope PG now will do some more things with Konami (a Castlevania related title will be interesting) or they will go back to Capcom.

PG seems like they're going for Nintendo and Konami right now, which is a pretty good thing in my opinion, especially Nintendo. Why Nintendo? STAR FOX.

PG seems like they're going for Nintendo and Konami right now, which is a pretty good thing in my opinion, especially Nintendo. Why Nintendo? STAR FOX.

I can see it now: Fox flips out of his arwing, uses a QTE to sprint down the Great Fox and engage in a rapid melee punch-out with Wolf.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, i hope PG now will do some more things with Konami (a Castlevania related title will be interesting) or they will go back to Capcom.

So they can be killed for the nth time?

Fuck Star Fox.

Konami has a lot of unused franchises that are begging for a competent studio to pick them up. Let's get a new, Platinum-developed Gradius. Now that's a goddamn spaceship shootin' game.

Or a Contra revival. Spectacular over the top action just like P* loves it. Holy shit I would grow beards on my beard.

Assuming Retro's "secret project" isn't Star Fox, it seems more likely that Platinum would make a Star Fox game than anything else considering how much Kamiya has expressed interest in making just that, and how Nintendo loves them nowadays. If The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 proves to be great for the system, expect a lot more collaborations.

After all, the reason they're the kind of company they are now is only not to repeat the same mistakes they did in Clover. Licensing themselves should be a breeze with their high pedigree finally being utilized.

I think Metal Gear Rising: Revengerance or however the hell you spell it might have something to do with that.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Oh. Right. I never really thought of Rising has being anything more than a one off project like "hey we're making an action game but we suck at it can u guyz from platinum come help." type thing rather then a "we want to work with you on a bunch of stuff" type thing

Fuck Star Fox.

Konami has a lot of unused franchises that are begging for a competent studio to pick them up. Let's get a new, Platinum-developed Gradius. Now that's a goddamn spaceship shootin' game.

Or a Contra revival. Spectacular over the top action just like P* loves it. Holy shit I would grow beards on my beard.

Nintendo is working on it.

Involvement limited to marketing, distribution and tech support, I'd hope.

I don't want no Bayonetta: Other B situation here.

Man, the PS2 game Gradius V that was made by Treasure was great, having Platinum do another one could possible result in another great title.

I love shmups. <3

Exactly. Treasure did a fantastic job, and so did WayForward with Contra. P* could turn things up to eleven for those franchises.

Edited by Dobkeratops

He said there were some producers working on it, basically higher-up supervision.

It'd probably be unfair to compare it to Other M though since it's flaws were mainly a producer-penned shit story and a separate development team that made boring game play.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also, keep in mind that Team Ninja worked on the game. You know, the same developers that made Ninja Gaiden III.