Awoo.

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

Detective Shadzter

The reason it's so reviled comes mostly from Nintendo's involvement tho. But I don't think a half-joke comment deserves any more discussion, I sincerely doubt they're stupid enough to interfere with Platinum's decisions.

Originally I was gonna bring up Starfox Adventures but Other M is the gift that keeps on giving.

• 1 month later...

While it would be cool to hear something about this, I'm in no rush yet. There's plenty more on the Wii U table to look forward to besides Bayonetta, and they can take their sweet time making sure this game is even more incredible than the first.The simple fact that this game is happening is still plenty for now.

Edited by Blue Blood

• 2 months later...

Some new stuff was teased today. Nintendo Direct featured a developer diary.

a9tuuh.gif

I just got done playing the first one (I sucked) but I'm already looking forward to this. Bayonetta has a bit of a redesign, it would seem. 

I really hope they port the 360 version and maybe give it a Wii U update. I missed out on the original as I really didn't want to get the terrible PS3 version.

I'm sorry, what? Why the PS3 version is terrible? it looks fine to me.

Most of it's critical flaws have been remedied by patches though it still kinda chugs compared to it's 360 version.

The game used to have astoundingly awful loading times with framerate dips up the ass. Just about everything required loading, including pausing the game. Platinum outsourced that version of the game to an internal Sega developer because they were too focused with the 360 version of the game, but after being burned that badly on the awful job they picked up the PS3 as their main platform for future multiplatform games to avoid such an issue ever again.

• Thumbs Up 1

http://youtu.be/KjDtVexATKE

The other problems on PS3 (hideous loading times, and extra loading screens) were patched out after a while, but it's still noticeably worse visually. 

I completed the PS3 version and it played absolutely fine after the patches and runs perfectly.

I completed the PS3 version and it played absolutely fine after the patches and runs perfectly.
I heard the framerate dips were still there, just not as bad as they were pre-patch. Regardless of that though, it looks decidedly worse than the 360 version.

I heard the framerate dips were still there, just not as bad as they were pre-patch. Regardless of that though, it looks decidedly worse than the 360 version.

I suffered no framerate dips post-patch. I got it on launch day and remember all of the problems and how annoying they were, especially the pause delay. After everything was patched up, I can't say I had any issues. Graphics also looked great to me.

I suffered no framerate dips post-patch. I got it on launch day and remember all of the problems and how annoying they were, especially the pause delay. After everything was patched up, I can't say I had any issues. Graphics also looked great to me.
Nobody said the graphics were bad, just worse. The video above shows it clearly enough.

Nobody said the graphics were bad, just worse. The video above shows it clearly enough.

Ooh. Yeah, I know the Xbox 360 version looks better, since the PS3 version was a late port and it was designed with Xbox 360 in mind. I think SEGA's team did a good job though, especially post-patch. It could have been so much worse.

My experience on Bayo 1 on the PS3 was as follows.

Day 1 - Day 7 = "Why is there a loading screen when I pause the game?"

It was a really frustrating first week, you could tell it was an amazing game but just so many little things like that ruined the experience. The big problems were kinda expected since everybody knew it was a port. But it really did need more development.

Day 7 onwards = "Ok this is actually quite awesome now, but still has issues..."

The day 7 patch did indeed fix the majority of the problems, but it's still a bit naff compared to the 360 version. Though an unpatched/uninstalled PS3 version compared to a patched/installed ps3 version, it's like playing it on a totally different system, the load times are so much faster and the whole game just feels better.

Mind you, it's quite amazing that the game works at all on the PS3. It was a 360 exclusive for about 90% of it's development, when there was about 6 months to go Sega asks for a PS3 version? It then gets outsourced to a small studio who manage to port it to a PS3 in the early years of it's life. It then comes out and depending on which conspiracy theory you listen to, Sony made/paid/asked for Sega to add an install to HD option on it.

The damn thing was bewitched!

• Thumbs Up 1

I never played Bayonetta pre-patched. So I never got to experience how bad it was. But yeah, the graphics were alright.

And for the framerate drops, I can't remember any except every time I get a Game over.

Edited by Merry Ming Shana

Bayo PS3 has on average a lesser framerate than the 360 version but it's mostly consistent and you're having too much fun so you don't notice unless you're playing them side by side. There's two places where it actually goes to shit: the prologue with the clock and a little platforming-ish section in the last stage, both are thankfully short sections with little relevance in the actual gameplay (the prologue is basically an interactive cutscene).

For some reason the IQ is sort of a tad blurrier, despite being both HD and using the same assets. Dunno what's up with that. Load times were the worst offender. Patch the game and install to the HDD and it's good to go.

Obviously if you can get the 360 ver. that's the best choice but if you just have a PS3 it's no big deal: the game's still fucking ace.

• Thumbs Up 2

Still, I would like a Wii U port. I think Platinum Games said it could happen if Nintendo/SEGA wanted it to be out.

I just hope that Bayonetta 2 won't have some huge confusing plot if you didn't play Bayonetta. EA did this with Mass Effect 3 Wii U and people got burned by it badly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope that Bayonetta 2 won't have some huge confusing plot if you didn't play Bayonetta.

Having a huge confusing plot worked out just fine for the first one.

• Thumbs Up 8

http://youtu.be/KjDtVexATKE

The other problems on PS3 (hideous loading times, and extra loading screens) were patched out after a while, but it's still noticeably worse visually. 

A youtube video doesn't really show it.  The Xbox version held 60 fps pretty much all the time, the PS3 version was more of a 30 fps job.  I also suspect the game's colors weren't really set up properly on the PS3 version, the contrast level always seems low for some reason.  It's kinda surprising to me that Platinum wasn't expecting to need to make a PS3 version.  

So Bayonetta 1 is getting a digital release.

It's coming to the PSN and XBLA next week for $20/£15.

I know it won't be perfect, but I'm a tad curious to find out if there is any improvement from the PSN version over the PS3 disk version.

Installed games load faster, correct? I wonder if a full install would benefit.