Awoo.

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

Detective Shadzter

Reasons to believe the game was at some point cancelled, Metal Gear Rising style

• Sega's financial downsizing resulted in unannounced titles that weren't popular brands getting the axe. Bayonetta did not break enough ground for Sega until it became a budget title and results like these don't benefit publishers.
  • There's no reason for Platinum Games to not want to pursue a sequel, especially if Kamiya has long expressed interest, if that title is the closest thing they had to a real "hit". If Bayonetta weren't a Sega property they'd have pitched this to as many companies as they could by this point but considering the license they worked with, it'd have had to go through them.
  • Spong/Dreadknux reporting on the game's purported cancellation.
  • Anarchy Reigns being delayed indefinitely in the west. Sega's dire financial situation mostly to blame and it reads as an open indicator that projects like these are not financially beneficial if the demand is this low. Sega are at a point when they can't market risky products like these no matter the high pedigree of their licensed developers.
  • Game Informer's Andy McNamara mentions having received a Bayonetta 2 cover from a company despite saying that Wii U was never mentioned in this.
  • Nintendo publishing the next big installment of a Sega property that Sega knows actual little of with enough guaranteed build information to show that the entire game has a staff at the ready. This game has been in development for quite a while and there's no reason why this game shouldn't see a multiplatform release. At some point this game has to have existed in a playable state either not passing Sega's greenlight or just being cancelled after passing the starting gate. There's no reason for Sega to give up one of their quality franchises to Nintendo if everything wasn't in the shitter for them.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, that's pointless. The game has barely been announced. Not even so much as a release year, which probably means late 2013 or even 2014. I think I'll hold off on the pre-order for a little while longer, you know?

Reasons to believe the game was at some point cancelled, Metal Gear Rising style

I just wanted to clarify that I don't disagree or disbelieve that these rumors exist, in fact I do think that there was some sort of turmoil or risk of cancellation with the game. I'm just saying that until we hear the whole story, it's probably best not to talk about the situation as though the truth is that SEGA cancelled the game and that Nintendo rescued it. Somebody reads a comment like "We should be glad Nintendo saved the game, otherwise we'd never see it released at all" and takes it as fact, when the fact is we don't know the facts.

Could be any sort of scenario. Could be that SEGA was willing to release the game to all platforms, but Nintendo offered up a solution where they shoulder most of the expenses and get the game as an exclusive. Could be that the game was at risk of cancellation, SEGA shopped around to MS, Sony and Nintendo and in the end Nintendo made the best offer. Could be that SEGA just straight up asked Nintendo to take the game off their hands. Could be that Miyamoto himself came to Kamiya in a dream- okay, I'll stop.

I would love to have this officially cleared up some day, but I have a feeling it's one of those things that will never be disclosed directly by any named party involved.

Can't we all just be happy that the damn game is happening and stop debating this crap?

Pretty please?

• Thumbs Up 8

Pester Kamiya enough about the project or ask him not-so-straightly and he would probably spill the beans.

Platinum are pretty open about their works as was proved with Kojima's MGR documentary as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS! Yes! Loved the first one and will probably most definitely love the 2nd.

the WiiU as I was planning o getting a PS3 soon. I hate it when a game I love is Exclusive. So this might be a series? As in more games? Wonder if the series will always be exclusive to Nintendo now.

The rage this game has caused is hilariously awesome.

Now watch, ends up coming out early 2014 and by that point we all forget what we were arguing about.

Now watch, ends up coming out early 2014 and by that point we all forget what we were arguing about.

For some reason I get the feeling mid to late 2013 seems more reasonable.

Well, the rage probably comes from a large bulk of PS360 users who are aggreived that they have to get a whole new console to enjoy a sequel to a game they liked/loved. Those people aren't entirely unjustified, but given that this is being published by Ninty, its unavoidable.

Unless Nintendo does a Capcom and pulls the plug; lock, stock and barrel, but given the positivity surrounding the title, I doubt they'd throw this big ol' fish away.

• Thumbs Up 1

I understand these peoples complaints, but they're going way over the top and making fools of themselves by going around and shouting "Fuck you" to Nintendo and Platinum Games. Some of them are even threatening to kill people at the companies, which is just plain crazy.

http://i.imgur.com/Ls4DX.png

So much rage. How is Platinum Games being sell outs cause Bayonetta 2 is Wii U exclusive? unsure.png I'd thought people wanted Nintendo to cater more to the hardcore gamers.

So what I'm understanding so far from reading alot of posts, this game is cancelled (?), Nintendo revived it and are now publishing it exclusively onto their system and this is the thanks they get for saving the game? A whole bunch of "FUCK YOU'S", Wii U bashing and death threats towards both companies? Wow, this makes me embarrassed to be a gamer. sleep.png

Edited by sonfan1984

So much rage. How is Platinum Games being sell outs cause Bayonetta 2 is Wii U exclusive? unsure.png I'd thought people wanted Nintendo to cater more to the hardcore gamers.

I don't know whether to just look in awe with dissappointment, or just plain laugh my ass off.

Edited by Felix

They wanted a reason to hate on em. being all "hardcore" you know. Now that they actually went and did it, they have to come up with some lame reason to hate.