Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

I just wonder what the hell Activision's doing. They keep sending us mixed signals. One moment they're saying "no comment," and the others say "we still own them." Their coordination looks rather lacking.

Kind of disappointing if they do still own them... I'm not particularly trusting of the company doing what's right for the brand.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still remain optimistic.

I just wonder what the hell Activision's doing. They keep sending us mixed signals. One moment they're saying "no comment," and the others say "we still own them." Their coordination looks rather lacking.

Kind of disappointing if they do still own them... I'm not particularly trusting of the company doing what's right for the brand.

Like you said earlier, perhaps Acti is still in the midst of the agreement and the dotted line hasn't been signed yet; it would make the statement true and the fact "we are looking for ways to bring him back" yet seem to be doing away with him implies that their method of doing so is selling him off to a publisher with plans for him.

I mean, I could understand if they were simply taking the official site down to polish it for something else, but it's the complete and utter wipe of Crash from the Activision network as a whole that strikes me as bizarre if they were planning on keeping him. Their renewal of the IP is simple in business terms; it lets them keep the exclusive rights while they look for a buyer. It's pretty obvious they're not really going to do anything with him if they haven't already; it's not like Activision is short on money. 

They could be trying a total brand wipe, but I don't think they're going to live down the bad memories of the last few titles that easily. "Crash Bandicoot" holds some value as a name overall, so I'm amazed they didn't at least keep a logo of it on the page.

I will likewise remain optimistic, at least until E3 if the site doesn't return.

Well after reading Activision's statement, I'll still remain cynical.

I don't think a mainstream Crash game is coming out anytime soon though. Activision's focusing their attention mainly on COD, Skylanders and are shifting their eyes towards Destiny which is coming out next year. Pratically, all of the studios they own (VV, TFB, IW, Beenox, etc...) are mainly working on those properties which makes it more difficult for someone developing a Crash title.

Let's shed some light on the subject though. Hopefully with all the publicity Crash got recently over the Sony buyout rumor, maybe it can knock some sense into Activision and make them see that they're wasting a valuable property. I mean there are lots and lots of people who are fans of the games and want to see the franchise return to it's glory (seriously, my Twitter feed was filled to the brim with Crash requests and the dozens upon dozens of people commenting on IGN's article is eyepopping) so hopefully that can change.

That's what I think of it.

Edited by CrashRatchetFan

Well after reading Activision's statement, I'll still remain cynical.

I don't think a mainstream Crash game is coming out anytime soon though. Activision's focusing their attention mainly on COD, Skylanders and are shifting their eyes towards Destiny which is coming out next year. Pratically, all of the studios they own (VV, TFB, IW, Beenox, etc...) are mainly working on those properties which makes it more difficult for someone developing a Crash title.

Let's shed some light on the subject though. Hopefully with all the publicity Crash got recently over the Sony buyout rumor, maybe it can knock some sense into Activision and make them see that they're wasting a valuable property. I mean there are lots and lots of people who are fans of the games and want to see the franchise return to it's glory (seriously, my Twitter feed was filled to the brim with Crash requests and the dozens upon dozens of people commenting on IGN's article is eyepopping) so hopefully that can change.

That's what I think of it.

I'm still baffled as to why Activision hasn't done anything with him for 5 years now. It's not like Mind Over Mutant failed to sell or was hated on the level of 06.

I posted this in the statuses, might as well shove it here too.

I'm highly skeptical of this, for all we know that rep could be out of the loop or has been forced to spin a line about the series "technically" still being in Activision's hands at the moment.

Otherwise what the hell was the point about the "Crash + Sony" "hint" in the trailer? I doubt it was just something the trailer's production team needlessly created to get people's hopes up, there are better ways to give a shout out to Crash without trying to give subtle hints about something happening. In addition, the entire year has been filled with rumors that strongly suggest of something significant happening to the franchise. And there's the fact Activision's Crash website is still down.

There's three outcomes of all this: A. Activision still has the rights. B. Activision is planning to/currently sell(ing) the rights. C. Activision no longer has the rights.

They should stop beating around the bush with the mixed signals bullshit and outright state one of the three outcomes on whether the bandicoot is still theirs (for the time being) or not. It's just creating hype that will be needlessly generated if it turns out nothing is happening.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

Back up a second, you want them to state one of three outcomes...when they've already done that? What?

I mean an official statement (i.e. report) from the company. Not convinced by a statement for a rep for the aforementioned reasons...

...oh hell, just ignore that outcome statement I made. I'm likely just overthinking this.

I'm just pissed over the fact that a bunch of hints and clues were dropped for a year for what looks like no goddamned reason other than to build false hype for an anticlimax. I fucking hate bullshit like that.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

So a year's worth of clues just got flushed into an anticlimax that even Sherlock Holmes would call BULLSHIT on.

Grrrr.

Hang on a moment guys. Just because Activision still owns them, doesn't mean that Sony won't buy the license to make a PS4-exclusive classic-styled Crash. It would just mean that Activision would get a cut of the oodles of money it would make, and considering how they like money, I don't see them turning that opportunity down if Sony really wants to do it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Crash had a few games in development (including what I believe was a reboot game/a game that tried to emulate the style of the PS1 games, check the older pages of this thread) when Activision got their hands on the IP and canned all of them. Then they paraded him in a few smartphone games before taking the series "out of rotation" because it (at the time) wasn't a cash cow franchise.

What the hell makes anyone think Activision's going to bother licensing Crash to Sony/Naughty Dog, considering that would mean reviving the series for another game? They arguably deactivated the website because they didn't find the series relevant, not because they were doing something significant with the series.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

Crash had a few games in development (including what I believe was a reboot series, check the older pages of this thread) when Activision got their hands on the IP and canned all of them. Then they paraded him in a few smartphone games before taking the series "out of rotation" because it (at the time) wasn't a cash cow franchise.

What the hell makes anyone think Activision's going to bother licensing Crash to Sony/Naughty Dog, considering that would mean reviving the series for another game? They arguably deactivated the site because they didn't find the series relevant, not because they were doing something significant with the series.

Because they know how well a PS4-exclusive classic-styled Crash game would sell? Nostalgia is a powerful force, and if Sony came up to them and said, "We want to use our dev teams and spend our money to make this game, you'll get a part of the profit with little to no spending on your part", I don't see them turning down quite a bit of potentially free money like that. 

Sony just couldn't have just put that easter egg in their video without reason, I want to believe sad.png

Edited by Chaos Warp

Because they know how well a PS4-exclusive classic-styled Crash game would sell? Nostalgia is a powerful force, and if Sony came up to them and said, "We want to use our dev teams and spend our money to make this game, you'll get a part of the profit with little to no spending on your part", I don't see them turning down quite a bit of potentially free money like that. 

Sony just couldn't have just put that easter egg in their video without reason, I want to believe sad.png

Parappa was also on the trailer, but no one's going crazy with a reboot for the PS4 of that... At the end its just an Easter Egg, nothing else, they already did similar stuff before, no reason to get your hopes too high because of that, sorry guys, but at this point, its safe to say that easter egg was nothing but a... Well, Easter Egg.

Parappa was also on the trailer, but no one's going crazy with a reboot for the PS4 of that... At the end its just an Easter Egg, nothing else, they already did similar stuff before, no reason to get your hopes too high because of that, sorry guys, but at this point, its safe to say that easter egg was nothing but a... Well, Easter Egg.

Unlike Parappa though, the arrow sign pointing to the SCE sign that was above the Crash sign indicated that Crash was heading back to Sony. They could had just had used the Crash sign without having to do that. :/

Or maybe delusional fans are putting way more into street signs than there is?

There are actually rumours of Parappa getting a new game.

Activision is not looking for ways to "bring the beloved bandicoot back" or whatever the fuck they said. They are looking for ways to either do nothing with the IP or rape it beyond recognition ala Spyro. 

You don't need to look for a way to do it, the answer's right there. Just make a fucking game like the old ones but take advantage of modern technology. It's fucking piss easy.

Also everyone read this article because I'm tired of people thinking Naughty Dog owned Crash or Sony sold him or yadayadayada: http://www.crashmania.net/developers-publishers/

• Thumbs Up 1

Hang on a moment guys. Just because Activision still owns them, doesn't mean that Sony won't buy the license to make a PS4-exclusive classic-styled Crash. It would just mean that Activision would get a cut of the oodles of money it would make, and considering how they like money, I don't see them turning that opportunity down if Sony really wants to do it. 

Honstily, that's what I think is happening; Sony making a deal with Activision to get the rights to X number of Crash games, a deal quite similar to the X amount of Sonic exclusives coming to the Wii U and 3ds Sega made with Nintendo. Even if Activison still "owns" Crash, that doesn't mean Sony can fund exclusive Crash games on the Sony marker (I mean, Activision isn't doing anything with the brand...so Sony paying for the rights to another trillogy of games does make since, much more finachle since than only paying for Crash to apper in All-Stars...)

I really hope we do see another Crash game, there has been too many little hints toward SOMETHING coming for the series, and Sony themselves hinting at another one (dat sign in the PS4 ad) along with Activision erasing Crash from there site looks quite strange for a supposed DEAD series.

Edited by RK64

Unlike Parappa though, the arrow sign pointing to the SCE sign that was above the Crash sign indicated that Crash was heading back to Sony. They could had just had used the Crash sign without having to do that. :/

Did anyone researched to see if that orange sign could be simply a random traffic sign that's barely used in real life?

Or maybe delusional fans are putting way more into street signs than there is?

dVEXCks.png

I wouldn't blame them for (trying to) make connections. The sign arrangement and sign choices do seem arguably deliberate in implying something IMO.

I argue that if it was a simple reference to the franchise, they could had either left the arrow and gold diagonal signs out or they could had just announced that it doesn't mean anything to shoot down any speculation.

But I guess dismissing people as delusional for making connections does seem like an easier conclusion.

/imsuchabutthurtscrooge

Did anyone researched to see if that orange sign could be simply a random traffic sign that's barely used in real life?

It's a warning sign that indicates a road that gives priority to the right.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge

What makes me angry, is not the fact that Activision has Crash Bandicoot, it is the fact that they could've easily asked a studio to do a new game. Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, or, in case of multiplatforms, Traveler's Tales or fucking Vicarious Vision, whom already works for them. I believe in VV.  Activision is the publisher, they don't do the games, exactly how SEGA doesn't does Sonic games, Sonic Team and Dimps does. And they are 5 years letting Crash gathering dust, instead of doing what I just said. MAYBE, they have contacted ND in the past and they refused the offer, or asked too much money, but what do we know? Could've been all under the sheets.

Five years, since Mind Over Mutant, we only had cheap cellphone games and canceled 3 or 4 console and portable games. Why Activision canceled so many games? I believe even they fear taking the risk of releasing a Crash game in home consoles. But for me, what is the risk? They make shittons of money with Call of Duty every fucking year. Is not like they will lost 50% of their annual profit... And who knows, maybe one of those canceled games could've ended being good.

I say, Activision, you already have your retirement money garanteed with Call of Duty, so why, instead of keeping an amazing IP just to yourself like a spoiled kid, you don't give to someone who cares and will do something with it? 

Heck, we from the Stadium could gather some money and try to bought Crash ourselves, how 'bout???

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 2

You know what Activision! Low blow and screw you!!

" Weeelllll,

Activision's a litch!
They've made Crash their bitch!
It's the darnest sitch in the whole wide world!
It's a stupid sitch!
They're a big big litch!
Cock teasing all fans, boys and girls!

On Monday they're a litch,
On Tuesday they're a litch,
On Wednesday thru Saturday they're a litch!
Then on Sunday just to be different,
Acti's a super king kamehameha bi-atch!

(Come on you all know the words!)

Have you ever met Activision,
Taking Spryo and Crash for themselves untold!
What a mean old litch,
Deformed Crash's look!
Acti's a litch, litch, litch, litch, litch, litch, litch
Litch, bitch, litch, bitch, litch, litch, litch, litch!
Acti's a stupid litch! (Woo!)
When it comes to Crash, I'm sick
Of  Acti's sneaky dirty trick(s)(Hey!)

Talk to kids around the world.
It might go a little bit something like this...

[sung in 4 different languages by other children (your choice)]

Have you ever met Activision
Holding heroes captive for far too long!
They're a mean old litch,
They did Spryo in!
Acti's a Skylanders', litch, litch, litch, litch,
Litch, litch, litch, litch, litch, litch, litch, litch!
Activision is a litch!
Wasting potential year by year

Oh Crash & Spyro? No, oh dear!

I reeeally mean it,
Activision,
They're a Crash Bandicoot wastin' litch!
Yeahhhhh, Chaaaaa!"

Yeesh, I was so mad at Activision, I just sang out to the tune of a South Park song.unsure.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Much thanks for that Crashmania article... it was fairly enlightening. I can only imagine how much more insane things become if the publisher doesn't own the IP either, as sometimes happens. So while Activision has owned the IP most recently, it actually changed hands long ago, into the hands of Vivendi... which eventually split off from Activision Blizzard but left them with the IP. I think the Holy Roman Empire was less complicated than this.

Indeed. Plus, as memory serves, Parappa is actually owned by Sony and so it isn't a weird legal situation.

The idea that Sony licensed Crash from Activision is promising, at least. I just hope that if Sony makes say, a good trilogy, Activision doesn't go "I can do that! 8D" and ends the license to do it themselves. We all know how delicious sudden shifts in developmental power go.

I definitely wish Sony owned the IP entirely, however, simply so Crash could appear at Sony events...

Heck, we from the Stadium could gather some money and try to bought Crash ourselves, how 'bout???

The power of the fanbase is something. If Sonic fans, for example, put up about 30-40 dollars for every Sonic game they bought for 50, we would have enough money to own a controlling stake in SEGA Sammy. Biggest problem would be ever overcoming the "it'll never get anywhere" at best and "they'll just embezzle the money" at worst.

The good news is there IS a legal avenue for projects like this. It's called a holding company; it's a company that doesn't exist to produce goods of its own, but to acquire property in other companies. So a holding company could be founded (thus giving legal legitimacy), start a Kickstarter for something like this, and raise enough moolah for the rights.

Now, if it would make enough money to reach Activision's requested amount, is another story... stuff like Mighty No. 9 isn't the norm.

I want to believe that greatness awaits for the bandicoot...

But Activision tells me not to believe.