Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

Big Red Button Ent. sounds like a worthy developer for a Crash game. That is if they have interest in reinvigorating the franchise without the executive meddling of Activision canceling it at first glance.

Other than that, remember that fangame Crystal's Wrath? The game's being rebooted for the better. It's being made by my friend, moderator, and Crash know-it-all JumpButton along with PatStrikesBack. They said they'll reveal the full overhaul by this coming Spring. Here's the video:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=izUmr0sDzz4

• Thumbs Up 5

More Crystal Wrath's goodness:

Even more:

All I can say is why Activision why. Imagine if this had gotten to see the light of day.

All I can say is why Activision why. Imagine if this had gotten to see the light of day.

Don't worry, the game's still coming out, albeit, it'll be "new and improved". Activision really doesn't have any say when it comes to Crystal's Wrath.

Activision has no involvement with this. This is a fanmade project.

It's amazing what such a small team of fans can do. It shows there really is no excuse for subpar games on the part of the big-name developers, short of a lack of love put into the project.

I just can't believe Activision's deemed Crash to not be profitable enough to be worth new games. He easily had name recognition, and the longer they wait on a new game the more self-fulfilling their prophecy becomes.

I continue to naively hope that maybe, just maybe, they really did sell him off to someone who'd use him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's something more humorous, or should I say: ARE YA LISTENING, ACTIVISION?

OK, that was funnier than I thought it was going to be.

I continue to naively hope that maybe, just maybe, they really did sell him off to someone who'd use him.

At this rate, Sony, Nintendo, BRB, hell even SEGA, might be an improvement for Crash!

It really would be.

In many areas, property rights have it so that if you just sit on something, you can lose your rights to it. This is even reflected in the fact it costs money to renew your trademark - why did Activision bother renewing the trademark if they weren't going to use it?

I can think of only one option: they're going to sell him.

Of course, companies can make stupid decisions too, so I wouldn't doubt it if they're just squatting.

• 2 weeks later...

So that's what he planned to do with that stuff found. Should have seen that coming.

So they acquired the rights to publish CB, laid off the staff behind Crash Landed and the project was cancelled. It begs the question as to why the fuck Activision acquired the rights to CB in the first place. To think, we had a chance of a reboot-new platforming game and new racing game made by staff who already new how to make excellent games/crash bandiccot games! Activision can go fuck themselves.

• Thumbs Up 6

Wow, im kind of disappointed the two games never came out now, it seemed like they were finally going to get the series back on track but just cancelled them for some reason.

So they acquired the rights to publish CB, laid off the staff behind Crash Landed and the project was cancelled. It begs the question as to why the fuck Activision acquired the rights to CB in the first place. To think, we had a chance of a reboot-new platforming game and new racing game made by staff who already new how to make excellent games/crash bandiccot games! Activision can go fuck themselves.

This, pretty much. At least with Spyro they acquired him so they could use his (now fuglified) mug to garner attention to Skylanders, which was a new IP at the time.

Clamping down the rights to the Crash Bandicoot IP just so they shut down new games for the series that were in the works, parade him in a couple of smartphone games, and then chuck him in the retired IP wastebasket seems like a really fucking stupid waste of resources. Really hope Sony's still trying to negotiate buying back the rights to the series...

• Thumbs Up 2

I hate how Activision is just sitting on the Crash Bandicoot franchise and not doing a damn thing with it! Those cancelled games didn't look that bad either, especially if one of them was going to have less brawling and more platforming goodness.

I really wish Sony could get him back, but I bet Activision is going to ask million$ for Crash. And Sony isn't doing too great money wise nowadays.

Even if Sony does buy the IP, I wonder how they'll start off. Maybe for the franchise's 20th anniversary (Sept. 9th), they'll release an HD collection of the first three platformers.

But that's just a pipe dream.

Interesting designs! Crash certainly looks a lot tougher and intimidating than his usual self, who comes off as more perky and airheaded. Makes me wonder if they were planning on some sort of different direction with the main title.

Real bummer it all got canned. It's like looking at all the ideas for Ty the Tasmanian Tiger that never got off the ground all over again.

I was never big on Crash Bandicoot back in the day because I never had a Playstation until much later, and it took me a long time to get into Crash Bandicoot once I finally did get Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (the only Crash game I ever had, and only one of two I ever played, the other being Crash Nitro Kart; I think, wasn't there one other crash racing game, too?).

Recently I have been trying to finally play Crash Bandicoot 2 to completion, though. Then maybe I'll try finding a new case for it and sell it online, its selling for a hell of a lot right now. :P

Well, I'll make sure it works well on a decent console, anyway. It takes forever for my shoddy PS2 to get it to load the game and the disc doesn't have any scratches on it that I can tell, the case is just missing its front cover. I'm going to order a new PS1 soon and I'll try Crash Bandicoot 2 on that (along with my other Playstation games) and get a PS3 with backwards compatibility to play my PS2 games.

Kinda sucks that Crash Bandicoot is pretty much dead in the water right now. I was never really into the series but it looks cool. Spyro, on the other hand, was really good, I always liked playing Spyro, as its one of the earliest Playstation games I ever played. (My family were always Nintendo gamers, so we always got the latest Nintendo console first.)

I guess this was bound to happen. In the mid-2000s platformers really started to come under pressure from FPSes, and the platforming market shrank to such a point all games either died out (Sly Cooper, Ty) or suffered a serious decline (Spyro, Sonic, Crash, Jak). Only Ratchet and Mario have been able to keep up consistent sales and ratings.

I do think there's hope for Crash since it seems interest in the platforming genre is being rekindled, probably assisted by the many endless runner games that are, if you think about it, simplistic platformers. Sonic's reputation hangs in the balance over the last few years, but Sly Cooper and Ty have both made their returns after nearly a decade of absence, even if such returns weren't quite landmark. Then we have these films...

While Spyro's rebirth is questionably received, it does make one wonder, "What about Crash?" Will the revived interest in platform titles cause Activision, Sony, or someone else to take a closer look, or...?

I just hope that, if a new game comes out, it sticks to the original formula, completely disregarding the Titans gimmick and plot if possible. If Crash returns, I want to be sure that those who make it keep focus on what made him such a big icon in the first place.

Now the real question: would they change Crash's design to something else, or...? That racing game prototype makes me think they were going to can his Titans/MoM design.

I wouldn't want them to completely get rid of everything from titans, I liked the unlockable costumes and believe it or not the game had some pretty good cutscenes (especially MoM) also I think jacking titans as a level gimmick could work really well if done right.

I want a platforming game more than anything, 2D and 3D, like the original trilogy. The Titans was a nice new approach on the series, but I don't want it back. The market is full of hack-n-slash games, and they are really, really, repetetive. If you don't pull something ala God of War in the middle, it gets boring quickly, and even that is boring already.

In my humble opinion, platforming games hardly gets boring. I just can't get enough of it, especially the ones that are as tight as Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. Imaginative and colorful worlds, imersive music, simple to follow plot and carismatic characters. It's a genre that never gets old and if well made, never lost its charm.

It's funny tho, now that I'm older, I don't have much time to play, and when I do, all I want is to turn on my videogame and play something right way, a game like Crash, classic Sonic or the new Rayman. With no compromise, with no millions of objectives and dialogues. Just a good gameplay, a nice soundtrack and fun characters. Today's games have too much compromise, seriously.

Somecallmejohnny's review of Crash Bandicoot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg8D-W5gPCg&list=UUg83RGdRpwfvoFEuE2zWKZA

He pretty much covers the main points. I find the controls to be a bit too slippery for my liking when it comes to the tight platforming, and the saving system is kind of odd. Also, it really sucks that a checkpoint box doesn't save the previous boxes collected in a stage - which means you need to restart each level from the beginning if you die just once when trying to obtain a Gem. As a result, levels like Sunset Vista, Slippery Climb and Jaws of Darkness are a bit of a nightmare.

CB1 is still a good game though and I enjoy replaying it.

• Thumbs Up 2