Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

Well Sony did say they wanted to go back to there roots for the PS4, and what better way to do that then kicking the doors right off the hinges with a brand new Crash game biggrin.png! The best part is that this year alone has had a lot of hints toward this; Sony's E3 conference having Crash music, the latest PS4 ad having a blant clear photo of Crash GOING back to Sony (as that sign hints).

I guess that Sony saw the intense response to Crash's exclusion in PS-All Stars and thought that getting that IP back would draw old school Sony fans to there new brand new system smile.png. I wonder what other classic Sony IP are coming to the PS4 (All Stars hinted at Midevil and Ape Escape, and there was the rumor of a Parapa game coming to the PS3/Vita)...

That's an excelent strategy, and if it's true, Sony already got me. DAMN, THERE GOES MY SAVINGS. It's gonna be like when I bought the PS1 just to play Crash Bandicoot.

Edited by Jango

YOU KNOW. 

I WISH I DIDN'T LIVE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, I mean, $860 for a PS4, god. stupid sony with your crash bandicoot making me broke.

YOU KNOW. 

I WISH I DIDN'T LIVE IN A THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, I mean, $860 for a PS4, god. stupid sony with your crash bandicoot making me broke.

You think you have problems? Where I live a PS4 is U$ 2000  ;-;

But yeah, I'd take any information carefully, let us not forget that this isn't the first time there has been a rumor about Crash returning... Especially since now that the PS4 is launching, people who make said rumors can have a field day using the whole ''New Generation'' to justify said rumor of a new game.

Edited by Ratcicle King

I DON'T CARE. I JUST HAVE TO BELIEVE.

BTW, there's something about Sony announcing the return of a big and old IP, and it has something related to space. Read that on GAF.

Edited by Jango

Oh wow. I hadn't even noticed the symbolism that could be seen in that street sign. It... really does look like a subtle way of saying "Crash is going back to us," doesn't it? It would seem like a pretty good marketing move; the rancor over his lack of inclusion in PSAS does show he's hardly forgotten and if correctly marketed, could be an excellent readdition to the Sony brand. It'd help them corner the younger children market too I presume.

Optimism intensifying. Need to open the exhaust ports or I'm going to explode.

If they made a classic-styled Crash game for PS4 you have no fucking idea how fast I would throw every ounce of money I had at both the PS4 and the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

hopefully, if it IS true, it doesn't suck and that Naughty Dog go back to form with it, it seems they're the only ones capable of making a decent Crash game.

Oh maaaaaan, imagine a next gen CTR.

Suck it Mario Kart!

• Thumbs Up 1

You know...

While a second PSAS fighter is probably dead in the water for a while...

...what about a PSAS racer? Crash would make an excellent addition to the roster, certainly.

Just speculation. In SEGA's case, after the meh performance of Superstars Tennis we got the much better All Stars Racing. Surely Sony might be willing to give a similar idea a go? With Crash Bandicoot they'd also address a major complaint many took with PSAS Battle Royale's roster, as well.

Though I do hope they'd at least give us an actual Crash game before throwing him into crossover territory.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know...

While a second PSAS fighter is probably dead in the water for a while...

...what about a PSAS racer? Crash would make an excellent addition to the roster, certainly.

Just speculation. In SEGA's case, after the meh performance of Superstars Tennis we got the much better All Stars Racing. Surely Sony might be willing to give a similar idea a go? With Crash Bandicoot they'd also address a major complaint many took with PSAS Battle Royale's roster, as well.

Though I do hope they'd at least give us an actual Crash game before throwing him into crossover territory.

In case that does happen, I would love to see Crash duke it out with Jak.

It appears that Twitter may go on a Crash spree(from the reddit):

EDIT 2: Spread the word. Let Sony know how badly you want to see Crash Bandicoot back on the PlayStation. If you have a Twitter account, tweet to @yosp and @amboyes and let them know how much you want this! Spread the word in anyway you can. #BringBackBandicoot

In case that does happen, I would love to see Crash duke it out with Jak.

Should throw Nathan Jake in there for good measure. Naughty Dog can only have ONE sweetheart!

It appears that Twitter may go on a Crash spree(from the reddit):

Welp, though these things don't always work figured I'd bandwagon anyway. Retweeted and stuff.

I'm just really curious how the trademark thing VEDJ-F showed links into all this. While clues are aligning to say Sony's probably got Crash back, and it would make sense since Activision wasn't doing jack with the IP, why would they renew their trademark just to give it away a month later?

I'm just really curious how the trademark thing VEDJ-F showed links into all this. While clues are aligning to say Sony's probably got Crash back, and it would make sense since Activision wasn't doing jack with the IP, why would they renew their trademark just to give it away a month later?

I guess they got the trademark again to keep this a "surprise", so to speak; Crash coming back to Sony is a HUGE announcement, and the only thing that points that not being the case is Activision still owning the trademark, making it look like they still own the IP, even though they are making a deal with Sony for the IP/License.

Either way, things all point to Crash either having a Sonic Exclusivity deal ala Lost World Wii U (with a series of Crash games exclusive on Sony systems with Sony themselves funding the games) or Sony flat out getting the IP back and have a huge studio working with a smaller team to make it; could easily see a Sony Bend-Last of Us team combo or a BluePoint-Sansaru combo being the big teams working on this project.

Just great news that we might finally see Crash make a glorious comeback that other platforming icons like Rayman and (to a lesser extent) Sonic post-Unleashed went through past generation smile.png.

Edited by RK64

The emergence of Sly Cooper and Ty the Tasmanian Tiger from a decade-long hibernation, the restoration of Sonic and Rayman's scores (to some extent in Sonic's case, at least), and the "back to basics" idea behind Into the Nexus make me think we actually could see something of a platformer revival this console generation... Crash coming back now would seem to fit the trend perfectly.

Not to mention the PS4 launched with the old-school platformer Knack (...even though it looks to be lacking in a few areas :(), and we don't know what Sanzaru have been working on since Sly 4 came out (the game was a success in Sony's eyes, so they must be working on another game, most likely this rumored Crash game or a new Jak).

Insomniac haven't announced ANY PS4 games yet (the Ratchet Movie is coming within the next two years, so there must be some kind of tie-in or a game in development to coincide with the films release) and we still haven't seen the PS4/X1 Sonic tittle yet (god...that's going to be jaw dropping with the PS4's horse power blink.png), so there are a lot of platformers in the works for the next gen systems, and Crash leading the charge as you mentioned sounds like a wonderful thing :).

All these platformer revivals are pretty great and all...

... but there is still a giant hole in my heart needing to be filled...

spyro2.jpg

... WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME, ACTIVISION?!sad.png

Edited by Briraka
  • Thumbs Up 5

All these platformer revivals are pretty great and all...

... but there is still a giant hole in my heart needing to be filled...

spyro2.jpg

... WHY YOU DO THIS TO ME, ACTIVISION?!sad.png

Alas, whereas Crash Bandicoot really does hold practically no value to Activision and almost certainly did get purchased based on all the speculation, Spyro's definitely stayed in their hands. Spyro is just too much of a moneymaker to give away. At least we might get Crash back at least...

Makes me wonder. Why did they put Spyro in Skylanders but never Crash Bandicoot? It would have been a relatively cheap way to profit from the IP at least.

Makes me wonder. Why did they put Spyro in Skylanders but never Crash Bandicoot? It would have been a relatively cheap way to profit from the IP at least.

... Some times it's better to not think about what could have been...

• Thumbs Up 1

Activision's support Twitter has responded to someone asking about this.

@ATVIAssist @Activision Any reason why you guys removed all traces of Crash Bandicoot from your websites?

https://twitter.com/zZushin/statuses/403785689679925248

Unfortunately, we have no info at this time. If you are interested in another title, we can forward your suggestion for review. ^SM

https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist/statuses/403812217008955392

So the Bandicoot may be back with Sony? Sounds brill.

I'm not entirely sure if Naughty Dog would want to do another Crash game though, they'd probably be too busy with the next Uncharted. Then again, I read Crash stayed with Vivendi (Universal) Games (back then known as Universal Interactive Studios) because Naughty Dog's contract with the company expired; unlike Insomniac Games who allowed Spyro to be let go specifically because they were dissatisfied with Spyro's design limitations, as they wanted to create a game with weapons (which I logically assume was what became Ratchet and Clank).

Speaking of whom, I don't really think Sony being unable to get Spyro back is completely out of the question. Spyro was arguably promoted and headlined in the subtitle of the first Skylanders entry only to attract attention from former Spyro fans to what was then a new series. Two years later, and thanks to three successful main games and a slew of spinoffs, Skylanders has now found it's own identity and popularity. I'd wager that if Spyro didn't make an appearance in the next Skylanders game, few would blink and complain, considering that we're talking about a series that features loads and loads of characters that I assume kids would find a lot more interesting (in personality and especially design >=P) than Spyro. Heck, Activision could just create a new dragon replacement character and call it a day if they did sell Spyro back to Sony.

Edited by Gabe Scrooge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Any sort of "platformer revival" would be perfect if Spyro was acquired as well, most definitely.

Activision's support Twitter has responded to someone asking about this.

https://twitter.com/zZushin/statuses/403785689679925248

https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist/statuses/403812217008955392

Oooo, suspicious. They're not saying it's maintenance... if Activision itself were making a new game, it'd seem odd they'd remove all references to him, rather than just making the site be taken down. I think Crash really was taken by someone else, in all likelihood Sony. 

Put me down for day one purchase if so.