Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

Pretty sure that image is old. I'm sure I remember seeing it during crash's original run. Therefore I don't think we should read anything into the present being labelled to NaughtyDog as they still owned Crash when the image was made :P

What's weird though, is that they keep making use of Crash. They do not own Crash. While I doubt any company would really press legal action over such inserts, the repetitive inserts seem to somewhat violate the courtesy companies usually give to each other (except when they're rivals) with regards to their IPs.

Have they done anything similar with Spyro, perchance? If they're only doing it with Crash, it seems rather fishy...

What's weird though, is that they keep making use of Crash. They do not own Crash. While I doubt any company would really press legal action over such inserts, the repetitive inserts seem to somewhat violate the courtesy companies usually give to each other (except when they're rivals) with regards to their IPs.

Have they done anything similar with Spyro, perchance? If they're only doing it with Crash, it seems rather fishy...

It's possible that Sony retain ownership over certain images of Crash I suppose. I mean, just because Activision owns the character doesn't mean they own or have any rights to the older games. The images they've been using have all been promos from the original trilogy so I assume there's no legal issues.

As of recently, there was little to no use of Spyro in these ads. I think the reason being is that Crash was more associated with Sony than the likes of Spyro and Crash was seen as Sony's first mascot. Spyro had only three games with Sony before jumping to third party wagon whereas Crash had five games with Sony leading up to 2000.

Plus, Crash had a better reputation.

I doubt the image means nothing though.

That, and Spyro is still in use in a franchise that's arguably more lucrative than his or Crash's own franchises ever were.

I mean before he was shoehorned into Skylanders just so Activision can make a quick buck.

What I mean is that Spyro didn't make as much as a impact for Sony as Crash did. Sure, I enjoyed the first three games (with Ripto's Rage being my favorite) but the Crash games sold like hotcakes compared to what Spyro was doing.

And what I meant was that Sony might not be referencing Spyro in their retro stuff because he's still seeing games come out, unlike Crash. Going on about Spyro when Activision are still actively, and quite successfully, using him is a bit of a faux pas.

Mostly what annoys me is that there's all these references to Crash yet no Crash titles. Sure, could just be a nostalgic cash in, but it's rather irritating if it means nothing at all. He's either dead or he's not; that goes for both Sony and Activision.

• 2 weeks later...

Enough with the teasing. Either you have a new game in the works or a re-release. Just halt the fan-teasing Sony/Activision!

Enough with the teasing. Either you have a new game in the works or a re-release. Just halt the fan-teasing Sony/Activision!

There is no teasing, Activision has already reconfirmed that they still own Crash, no purchase or takeover has happened from Sony, sorry for the letdown.

Sony is just reminding people of Crash as a mean of nostalgia

Sigh, honestly there's so much potential for a franchise revival, why don't Activision/Sony just take it?

The money man. It isn't due to Sony not wanting to do it (its been implied since All Stars announcement they wanted to use the Crash series again), its mostly Activision's fault for Crash not being used at all. They want to much money to work with the IP and Sony doesn't want to "barrow" the IP again like they did in the PS1 days; they want to own it. Still, purchasing the IP would cost to much for only a handful of games (and who knows if Crash will still sell anymore, the PS1 games sell a lot on PSN, but that is because of nistologa more than anything).

Like you said, there is alot that can be done with the series (making a Crash Galaxy, a more classic-based Crash, a more open Jak 1 style Crash ala Twinsantity, ect) and it really could be a huge hit for Sony, but many factors prevent that from happening.

I could imagine a situation like what Nintendo is doing with Sega in regards to Sonic; pay for exclusivity for a handful of games in the series or pay for the rights to X number of games (Sony did do this with Activision in the past; they funded the Vita Call of Duty and put one of their own developers on board for the game).

We'll just have to be hopeful something will come up in E3. It'd suck, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is all part of a legal mess where Sony owns some artistic designs of Crash and Activision owns others; it wouldn't he very shocking if this was no different than Ken Penders and Archie in terms of where ownership lies in places.

Rule number one of business, I'd think: have everything clearly outlined in the contract.

I'm sincerely hoping Sony has a reason behind all these Crash references rather than just cashing in on nostalgia, but with that being a common marketing ploy these days...

A little late but Crash and Spyro wish you all a Very Merry Christmas!
CrashSyroXmas2013a.jpg

It really does warm my heart to see that Mr. Zembillas still cares at least.

Not only him, Joe Pearson (the guy who pretty much was the creator of everything related to Crash) cares about the Bandicoot too!

It's a shame how they were treated in the end by Naughty Dog. Joe Pearson called quits (a week after Crash 1 was released) once Naughty Dog interpreted the press on how Crash came to be and never returned to the series until CNK.

Charles called quits because at the 2002 GDC, Daxter was awarded Best New Character and was given to Bob Rafei, an ND veteran and Charles was even given sole credit for the creation since he pretty much created the entire universe.

And to be honest, I'm no fan of Andy Gavin nor Jason Rubin. Jason is off boasting how his games are superior over the other developers' efforts such as TT Oxford (who basically suffered through hell trying to get Twinsanity done) and Radical (who suffered countless threats and complaints about the retooling) and Andy's becoming a broken record by calling Crash the druggy high school slut.

That's my beef.

Top 5 Rumored Games For 2014: PS4’s Crash Bandicoot, LEGO The Hobbit, Super Smash Bros., Gran Turismo 7 And Assassin’s Creed

• Rate this Story
  • 1px.gif0
  • 1px.gif0

By Gel Galang | December 31, 2013 11:18 AM EST

With the year capping off to a close, there have already been some rumors for games that could possibly debut in 2014. There are those that border on pure rumors, including Crash Bandicoot on the PS4, the two Assassin's Creed games and LEGO The Hobbit, while there are those like Super Smash Bros. and the next Gran Turismo installment, which have already been hinted by their developers.

Crash Bandicoot on PS4?

Potentially, one of the games with a still pretty big following is Crash Bandicoot and the hype for the game has just strengthened after the rumor that it may be brought back to the PlayStation franchise, specifically the PS4, erupted. While the latest update here is that Activision has not yet sold the franchise, even with the surprising fact that there are no traces of Crash Bandicoot on Activision's Web site, Game Informer said there may be hope to see it as a game in the future.

An Activision representative said in a statement quoted by Game Informer, "Activision owns Crash Bandicoot and we continue to explore ways in which we could bring the beloved series back to life."

Meh, nice to see that media's at least keeping Crash in some form of circulation. Might be an opportune time to barrage Activision with requests.

How is Super Smash Bros.a "rumored game" if the game is confirmed to be released this year?

Also GTA6 was released but a couple of months ago. I don't think we'll see GTA7 for the next two-four years.

e: Also GT6 was released but a couple of months ago. I don't think we'll see GT7 for the next two-four years.

Edited by Gabe the Curmudgeon

Also GTA6 was released but a couple of months ago. I don't think we'll see GTA7 for the next two-four years.

You mean GTA 5, the next GTA would probably be an expansion pack for the fifth (like the Lost and Damned for GTA 4).

Rumors aren't something to really trust, but Activision's removal of all references is fishy if they say they're looking to explore the brand.

Perhaps they are going to redesign the entire series AGAIN, complete with reboot, and so removed all references of it until then?

It's not the same as Sony getting ahold of it, but hey, if they realise how atrociously they've treated the series that's a good sign.

If Activision has no idea what to do with Crash yet, I don't mind not seeing a game.

I'd rather they make a game that they care about, as opposed to making a half-arsed one just because of demand.

You mean GTA 5, the next GTA would probably be an expansion pack for the fifth (like the Lost and Damned for GTA 4).

I actually meant to refer to Gran Turismo 6 in my original post. They have similar initials, I screwed up XP

Well here's something to wrap your thoughts around:

According to a Sony conference, the PS4 game, Knack, was first pitched as a Crash Bandicoot game for PS4. Any details are unknown about the game, but it may have utilized the same gameplay as Knack did.Crash’s likeness is still slightly present on Knack, the titular character of the game.

Heh, y'know I actually can see that being the case, considering how Knack did occasionally give me Crash vibes.