Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot: The Thread

Chili Dawg

Actually if Naughty Dog has two different teams going, the Last of Us team should be open for a new game, wouldn't they? Food for thought, unless it's been stated that they're not doing things that way.

; unlike Insomniac Games who allowed Spyro to be let go specifically because they were dissatisfied with Spyro's design limitations, as they wanted to create a game with weapons (which I logically assume was what became Ratchet and Clank).

Just to throw it out there but this was later said to just be a joke, right?

Actually if Naughty Dog has two different teams going, the Last of Us team should be open for a new game, wouldn't they? Food for thought, unless it's been stated that they're not doing things that way.

Just to throw it out there but this was later said to just be a joke, right?

No, I believe Insomniac were telling the truth when commenting on Spyro's limitations. They said he couldn't even hold a gun if I recall.

Sonic would be even more irrelevant if Crash came back.

I doubt it. Crash would still be the irrelevant one.

I think could just be a case of what SEGA does with its games. They always deny stuff right until the official announcement, even after a leak.

In Sony's case they're probably more watertight, so it could just be them taking us for a ride.

Another theory: they could be in the process of making a deal still. Companies don't cut deals as quick as you and me do, with all their constant back and forthing. Heck, maybe Sony's trying to get more than just Crash.

It would make their comments line up - the Crash IP would still technically be Activision's (hence Boyes' remark), while it's actually in the process of being handed over (hence the "no comment.") Or it could already be sold and Boyes is directly lying simply to keep us in the dark. tongue.png

Or... dare I think it... someone besides Sony has acquired the IP. That would explain the inconsistency, as Boyes would be 100% unknowing in that case.

I'll also throw out I find it weird that "license" keeps being thrown around as a synonym for "IP." To my understanding Activision owns/owned the IP, and so wouldn't need a license, as a license is (correct me if I'm wrong) the legal privilege to use someone else's IP.

Edited by Ogilvie
  • Thumbs Up 4

I think could just be a case of what SEGA does with its games. They always deny stuff right until the official announcement, even after a leak.

In Sony's case they're probably more watertight, so it could just be them taking us for a ride.

Another theory: they could be in the process of making a deal still. Companies don't cut deals as quick as you and me do, with all their constant back and forthing. Heck, maybe Sony's trying to get more than just Crash.

It would make their comments line up - the Crash IP would still technically be Activision's (hence Boyes' remark), while it's actually in the process of being handed over (hence the "no comment.") Or it could already be sold and Boyes is directly lying simply to keep us in the dark. tongue.png

Or maybe... Boys wanted the tweeter to ask Activision, indirectly placing the "leak" on their hands?

This has been one wild ride.

EDIT: #BringBackBandicoot is now stickied on the PS4 subreddit. I didn't know Crash was that popular.

Edited by FourCartridge

It really has. I really do hope there is something more to this than a bunch of coincidences... to me, the weird behavior on Activision's part is the biggest red flag. Crash music at E3? Maybe they own the rights to the first few games' music and decided to play it. Signpost? Could have just been an easter egg.

But the erasing of Crash's very existence from Activision's site? That's just suspicious. SEGA doesn't remove Sonic from their site, though they might (I'd assume, not sure) take his site down briefly when adding something. The same would go for Activision; were it just maintenance the site would be unavailable but we could still tell he was theirs.

I think it's pretty obvious Activision's ditched Crash Bandicoot. But whoever picked him up remains uncertain... I just hope this isn't all a case of Activision's website designers making huge booboos.

You guys do realize that even if crash has been bought, it might not have been by sony? it could be anyone from sega to nintendo to even microsoft

It'd be really weird for Nintendo or Microsoft to buy Crash, considering the silhouette in the ad. I agree that it doesn't have to be Sony that bought him back, but I doubt it's either of those two.

You guys do realize that even if crash has been bought, it might not have been by sony? it could be anyone from sega to nintendo to even microsoft

At this point only Naughty Dog can bring back the glory days. =P

On that subreddit thing... never underestimate the power of a retro fanbase running off the inexhaustible fuel that is nostalgia.

Actually if Naughty Dog has two different teams going, the Last of Us team should be open for a new game, wouldn't they?

The Crasht of Us? biggrin.png

I've pointed this out, actually. I think it's clear Crash isn't in Activision's hands anymore, but who exactly got him from them is uncertain.

It'd be really weird for Nintendo or Microsoft to buy Crash, considering the silhouette in the ad. I agree that it doesn't have to be Sony that bought him back, but I doubt it's either of those two.

Indeed. Sony would simply make the most sense given historical ties and his presence in the ad. I suppose Nintendo or SEGA could use him well given their association with older platformers, but it would seem rather weird.

Let's not even touch the idea of Microsoft getting ahold of the IP, after what they did to Rare.

Edited by Ogilvie
  • Thumbs Up 1

People are speculating that the trailer of the new Uncharted has some sort of connection with the Crash series (the entire monologue seems an indirect dialogue from the Crash series to ND since the last ND Crash game was CTR in 1999, and someone said that the VA sounds very similar to the one of Cortex and Uka Uka).

Now, the only thing that can bring some enthusiasm to the Uncharted series is definetly some wacky/bizarre plot twist that ties to one of ND previous creation, but i'm the first to admit that this is a little too far as a speculation.

People are speculating that the trailer of the new Uncharted has some sort of connection with the Crash series (the entire monologue seems an indirect dialogue from the Crash series to ND since the last ND Crash game was CTR in 1999, and someone said that the VA sounds very similar to the one of Cortex and Uka Uka).

Now, the only thing that can bring some enthusiasm to the Uncharted series is definetly some wacky/bizarre plot twist that ties to one of ND previous creation, but i'm the first to admit that this is a little too far as a speculation.

Crash is playable in the new Uncharted!

The guy in the trailer was Todd Stashwick. He never voiced Cortex.

I don't really believe the rumor, and I'm sure that even if Sony does buy it, Naughty Dog won't make it. They make a different type of game nowadays and going by what I remember of what they said about that Jak & Daxter reboot, they want to keep it at that.

That said, it would be nice if they had it. Some more 3D Platformers would be great.

Makes me wonder. Why did they put Spyro in Skylanders but never Crash Bandicoot? It would have been a relatively cheap way to profit from the IP at least.

I believe I read somewhere that they were given a choice between the two, but ultimately decided on Spyro.

Anyway, I'll soooo hoping for a new Crash game. It's one of my favorite series ever, a revival would make me seriously consider getting a PS4.

Let's not even touch the idea of Microsoft getting ahold of the IP, after what they did to Rare.

Amen to that. Rare doesn't even get to make new games to their own IPs anymore.

I dunno. Twinsanity was quite a delight (now if only it hadn't been cut so much for time).

I dunno. Twinsanity was quite a delight (now if only it hadn't been cut so much for time).

I agree with this. Twinsanity was one of my favorite platformer games growing up. I'd love to see a new Crash game like it in the future. It has some issues but if they were ironed out it could be a really fun platformer.

Of course, I would also be fine with something more akin to the classics. As long as it isn't another Crash of the Titans sized mess.

I never understood why Sony got rid of Crash and Spyro they were part of my early years of gaming especially crash

Edited by Dejimon11

I never understood why Sony got rid of Crash and Spyro

They didn't. Insomniac and Naughty Dog wanted to get rid of Universal and wanted to just work for Sony, so they left Universal, and they left Crash and Spyro behind.

Edited by Winston
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never understood why Sony got rid of Crash and Spyro they were part of my early years of gaming especially crash

sony never owned Crash, Naughty dog did, however by the end of the PS1, they had done all they felt like doing with him, and decided to let someone else give a go at him, shortly after the ps2 launch however they were bought by sony

• Thumbs Up 1