Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

Game Reactor interview Steve Lycett about Ryo Hazuki and balance in shortcuts/All Star Moves

AHH! I see Steve IRL! My internet-mind has been blown.

In regards to the mouths, while I don't like them centered as they are, from a in-game model standpoint it makes sense. Imagine that the mouth is only on the left side, it would really only be seen from one angle. It would probably be a major hassle to shift the mouth based on the placement of the camera. With the mouth centered, players are able to see it from both sides and head on. SA1, SA2, SH, StH and SST all had centered mouths.

Unleashed and '06, from my memory, had left/right placed mouths but these appeared in specific sequences at fixed camera angles. So the programmers knew where Sonic would be and had his mouth placed accordingly. In SASAR, however, Sonic is all over the place and there is never a "scripted" moment in which this could occur.

Edited by Doctor Eggman

AHH! I see Steve IRL! My internet-mind has been blown.

In regards to the mouths, while I don't like them centered as they are, from a in-game model standpoint it makes sense. Imagine that the mouth is only on the left side, it would really only be seen from one angle. It would probably be a major hassle to shift the mouth based on the placement of the camera. With the mouth centered, players are able to see it from both sides and head on. SA1, SA2, SH, StH and SST all had centered mouths.

I don't think that the mouth is a problem, seeing as Sonic characters' mouths are usually depicted as being centered on their muzzle in-game anyways. My only qualm is regarding their eyes' inability to move, resulting in them having to rotate their entire head just to look in a different direction. It just results in really awkward-looking sporadic head movements, which just looks odd combined with their lifeless eyes. All of the games you just mentioned (excluding Sega Superstars Tennis, of course) were good examples of proper eye mechanics in a Sonic game. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games and Sonic Unleashed were flawless in their execution of the eye system on their respective systems, so it's not like it hasn't been done on these consoles beforehand.

In simpler terms, the current way that the Sega Superstars models are set up result in them looking like this:

derpderptails.png

derp derp

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't think that the mouth is a problem, seeing as Sonic characters' mouths are usually depicted as being centered on their muzzle in-game anyways. My only qualm is regarding their eyes' inability to move, resulting in them having to rotate their entire head just to look in a different direction. It just results in really awkward-looking sporadic head movements, which just looks odd combined with their lifeless eyes. All of the games you just mentioned (excluding Sega Superstars Tennis, of course) were good examples of proper eye mechanics in a Sonic game. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games and Sonic Unleashed were flawless in their execution of the eye system on their respective systems, so it's not like it hasn't been done on these consoles beforehand.

In simpler terms, the current way that the Sega Superstars models are set up result in them looking like this:

derptails.png

derp derp

Your going to kick off an whole new meme in the community if your not careful :lol: and funnily enough it's another eye meme like the gumball one.

Does the face structure really matter when the majority of the game your going to be seeing the backs of their heads?

Also, Rotating Head Derp Tails is win.

It's definitely looking better than Super Stars Tennis in that regard, but I can't help but feel it's a little lazy. The eyes look like they're just painted onto the face.

Your going to kick off an whole new meme in the community if your not careful

Absurd.

I don't think we'll really see too much of the characters' face up-close enough to notice, so it's not really a big deal to me. It certainly looks much more polished than Superstars Tennis in every other aspect, however.

Most of the awesome Sonic memes are eye memes. It all started with Down Syndrome Sonic, then wonky facial-expression electrocuted Unleashed Sonic, then ol' Gumball-eyes, and then DerpTails. =P

Don't start another Sonic meme, don't you fucking dare.

marinehurrrr.png

STREWTH

Ok, maybe just one more...

That wheel looks horrible as well btw, what a shoddy piece of exclusive merch, it's not even really going the extra mile since even shitty shovelware like Madagascar Racing comes with a free wheel...

• Thumbs Up 2

Yea i gotta say the game looks really great but after sonic unleashed my standards have changed on the character models. The character models are great but facial expressions/animation look pretty awkward sometimes. Its not a big issue for the gameplay but it just looks a bit weird thats all.

Just look at him :lol:

12437203.png

Are you people serious about this eye shit in a kart racing game? It's hard to tell if you guys are messing around, or if you're anal about the most stupid things. 8/

Edited by speedfreak
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are you people serious about this eye shit in a kart racing game? It's hard to tell if you guys are messing around, or if you're anal about the most stupid things. 8/

I think everyone's just kidding around because it looks a little weird/odd thats all.

*falls off chair* :lol:

Thinking about it. I guess Big already has eyes like the one's we're talking about.

That is one fantastic Yorkshire themed hoody Steve was wearing in that interview. I wonder if we'll be seeing any more Yorkshire themed goodies as pre-order gifts perhaps? I'm in Sweden right now until after the New Year and I noticed Game Reactor is a free magazine over here, if you didn't know that already. Each issue is pretty thick and as far as I can tell, they seem faily unbiast too. I will pick up the January issue in hope to find some SEGA Racing tid-bits. Not bad for free, but it's a shame about the Swedish game prices. They're atrocious.

The eye thing doesn't bother me too much either, but it was something I thought stood out a bit in SEGA Tennis. A couple of my friends pointed out how goofy Sonic looked on the loading screens, Alex Kidd was one of the other characters that was made fun of too I think. Still waiting for this game to pop up on Gameplay.co.uk so I can pre-order!

Edited by bolt7

That is one fantastic Yorkshire themed hoody Steve was wearing in that interview. I wonder if we'll be seeing any more Yorkshire themed goodies as pre-order gifts perhaps? I'm in Sweden right now until after the New Year and I noticed Game Reactor is a free magazine over here, if you didn't know that already. Each issue is pretty thick and as far as I can tell, they seem faily unbiast too. I will pick up the January issue in hope to find some SEGA Racing tid-bits. Not bad for free, but it's a shame about the Swedish game prices. They're atrocious.

The eye thing doesn't bother me too much either, but it was something I thought stood out a bit in SEGA Tennis. A couple of my friends pointed out how goofy Sonic looked on the loading screens, Alex Kidd was one of the other characters that was made fun of too I think. Still waiting for this game to pop up on Gameplay.co.uk so I can pre-order!

GAME's whole network has been slow getting the game up, just last night they finally started listing it on their GAME and Gamestation site's and today they added the box art's and game info. Don't get why they've added it to two of their site's but not their Gameplay site.

• Thumbs Up 1

GAME's whole network has been slow getting the game up, just last night they finally started listing it on their GAME and Gamestation site's and today they added the box art's and game info. Don't get why they've added it to two of their site's but not their Gameplay site.

Oh yeah, you're right, I didn't notice it up on GAME's site. I've not been keeping up with this topic too much, so I've been missing out on your online deal updates! It's a pretty good offer at £32.99 too, but it looks like we'll be seeing Banjo on our box as well. As far as I know Gameplay were independant from GAME, but I'm not sure on that one. I doubt it'll be much cheaper than £32.99 when it finally does appear on there anyway. Play.com have it listed for £39.99 now too.

They use the Storybook Series models (also seen in Brawl, Olympics and the Rush series). They're just always visible in these games and make everyone look gormless.

The Storybook, Olympic, Unwiished, and Brawl models are all unique to their series/miniseries. From my understanding, the Brawl model is essentially a high resolution version of the Rush model.

Unleashed and '06, from my memory, had left/right placed mouths but these appeared in specific sequences at fixed camera angles. So the programmers knew where Sonic would be and had his mouth placed accordingly. In SASAR, however, Sonic is all over the place and there is never a "scripted" moment in which this could occur.

The mouth on the Unleashed model swaps sides with the camera. It's less a a hard thing to do, more so just something you have to remember that you're going to have to do early in development.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, you're right, I didn't notice it up on GAME's site. I've not been keeping up with this topic too much, so I've been missing out on your online deal updates! It's a pretty good offer at £32.99 too, but it looks like we'll be seeing Banjo on our box as well. As far as I know Gameplay were independant from GAME, but I'm not sure on that one. I doubt it'll be much cheaper than £32.99 when it finally does appear on there anyway. Play.com have it listed for £39.99 now too.

I'm pretty sure Gameplay are part of the GAME family. The cheapest deal online right now for the Xbox 360 / PS3 version is £29.85 at ShopTo. Wii version with the ASR themed Wii Wheel is just £29.85 too and DS version is crazy cheap at just £22.85.

The Storybook, Olympic, Unwiished, and Brawl models are all unique to their series/miniseries. From my understanding, the Brawl model is essentially a high resolution version of the Rush model.

UnWiished uses a less detailed version of it's 360 counterpart.

Storybook, Brawl and Rush use the same model, just of varying detail. I've just been scouring for my comparison pic, but can't find it. Don't let texture an animations fool you- Brawl Sonic has floppy quills and whereas SatSR Sonic has more rigid ones, but thats only a matter of animation. SST uses the same model again only with more detail (at least on the HD versions).