Awoo.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

Doctor MK

I'm amused by how excited I feel about this game, despite its spin-off non-Sonic-exclusive nature. Far more excited than I've felt about a new Sonic game in... well... a loooong time.

Admittedly I know nothing about it yet beyond some pretty pictures and a nifty trailer, but it's enough ^^;

Stop whining about the gameplay, we haven't even seen any yet.

I was talking in terms of Sonic games in general.

I'm amused by how excited I feel about this game, despite its spin-off non-Sonic-exclusive nature. Far more excited than I've felt about a new Sonic game in... well... a loooong time.

Admittedly I know nothing about it yet beyond some pretty pictures and a nifty trailer, but it's enough ^^;

I think it's the art style of the game, no Sonic Team games have looked like this in.. forever. Sumo Digital should give Sonic Team concept art to work with Lawl. But this is only one level, not all the levels will be Sonic themed, it's a SEGA game and quite frankly i can't wait to see the rest of the levels.

I think it's the art style of the game, no Sonic Team games have looked like this in.. forever.
With 3D games as a frame of reference, I think all they really need for good Sonic-y environments is the diversity and vibrancy of Sonic Heroes and the detail and grandeur of Sonic Unleashed. Edited by A Ham Sandwich

To be honest, I'm not too surprised anymore about your excitement. ;) Smash Bros. Brawl gave Sonic what was arguably one of his best portrayal in a while, so it seems fitting that Sonic's inclusion in another crossover game would yield a similarly positive response from some of us.

Brawl's style for Sonic is ugly, it's all off color. Everything is.

Sonic was the wrong color in Brawl? :blink:

Sonic was the wrong color in Brawl? :blink:

Sort of, just didn't seem right... and his model was horrible, lazy Nintendo effort, same with his stage, the blocks were LIGHT brown, UGLY, green hill zone wasn't light brown to the point where it looked tan. not to mention the stage was lazily designed too, all blocky and polygony.

Sort of, just didn't seem right... and his model was horrible, lazy Nintendo effort, same with his stage, the blocks were LIGHT brown, UGLY, green hill zone wasn't light brown to the point where it looked tan. not to mention the stage was lazily designed too, all blocky and polygony.

I....can't really see why it's such a big deal that Green Hill's blocks are a slightly lighter shade of brown.

I for one thought Green Hill look beautiful in Brawl, but hey, it's your opinion.

Hey i havn't looked through all this Forum so delete this or whatever if its already been said but did anyone notice that the walls on the finish line were based off Ocean Palace from Sonic Heroes?

After seeing the trailer I have real high hopes for this game, and I have one request: make the last (or bonus) racetrack a Sega Carnival type track.

The best tracks are usually focused on executing one idea that's fun throughout. D= The SEGA tracks were cool in Riders, but essentially this whole game is one giant SEGA track split into sections. I'd rather have an epic yet generic track for the finale if there is one... With a "themed" game like this, it's hard to decide what to make the final track be... you don't want to be biased to one series after all I guess.

But I never liked the SEGA tracks on Riders THAT much because they were so... unepic. The "final" track of Riders ends with a random little Chu Chu Rocket bit, nothing exciting at all, lol.

EDIT: Whoops, missed a page. I agree, Brawl's Sonic and Green Hill looked awesome. It was a stellar effort considering Sonic was added after the game was already in development (so his stuff wasn't put together at the same time as everything else). They even animated Tails, Knuckles and Silver running through in the background which was cool, and the stage is so huge off-camera. That, and Brawl had a grittier style than Melee anyway. If you wanted a totally vibrant Green Hill, Sonic kinda entered the series in the wrong sequel.

Edited by JezMM

Looking back at the Brawl Sonic model, it seems like an attempt to combine modern "skinny" Sonic with the old "fat" Sonic. I guess that's why it might come across as looking awkward/strange.

doomsdayzonedoomsdayzonedoomsdayzonedoomsdayzone

Seriously though, Rainbow Road minus the rainbow plus apocalyptic meteor shower of death? What's not to like?

Eh, that seems a bit plain on its own. Make it part of a Death Egg track and you might have something, tho'.

Eh, that seems a bit plain on its own. Make it part of a Death Egg track and you might have something, tho'.

Heh, then there could be Egg Robos shooting at everyone.:D

I actually agree with Shadi on Sonic's color being off.

It's easy, just compare his Brawl in-game model with any of his recent renders.

The blue isn't rich or bold so to say, and his body color is too dark.

But his shoes are too ruby-ish, while they're supposed to be more like a crimson color.

The Brawl art is a tad more color accurate, but the model is more off.

Back to Racing, am I the only who thinks that the Wii version could be baseline/ the lead version?

Because the screens, while obviously are of the HD versions, just don't seem like ground-up material for those platforms.

This shot is the most evident:

zjattv.jpg

Why on Earth would Sumo use 2D trees in a ground-up HD game? You'd make that kind of compromise on the Wii. The HD platforms are VERY capable of rendering 3D tress in real-time, etc, that kind of thing would be inexcusable if it was built for the console.

So the HD versions are very likely to be based on the Wii version with HD-quality shading, lighting, up-res textures, rounding the polygons, etc.

From what can see, I also don't notice any 3D nobs or small tubes, that kind of fine detailing, on the cars, they all seem to be textured in.

I wasn't expecting this, very interesting.

I'd love to see a chemical plant track, though that's just me.

I think this looks neat, it could be fun. I would've prefered a Sonic game instead of Sonic and SEGA all-stars though and I personally hope they emphisize Sonic. The only non-Sonic games I've played by SEGA are Ristar, Vector Man, and NiGHTS: JoD, and the only one I liked of those was Ristar (which I believe to be one of the greatest platformers ever). So for me it would be less enjoyable if it were just four or five Sonic characters alongside a plethora of characters I don't know or don't like, that's how the Tennis one was for me... I never did unlock Shadow. But I'll be greatly happy if they would just put in Silver and Ristar, as long as have those two I won't care who else is there. A stage based off Planet Sonatra from Ristar would be grand.

This is most likely the game Pete Capella mentioned in the interview that he did voices for. This one of four things:

A) Silver's in the game

B ) Reala's in the game (Jeff Kramer is Pete Capella)

C) Both are

D) He's a random background voice like he was in Secret Rings.

Also Tails sounds like he might've gotten a new voice actor at about 0:41 in the trailer. Now I recall somewhere hearing about Palant quiting a few months back.

Edited by Super Peytonky

I actually agree with Shadi on Sonic's color being off.

It's easy, just compare his Brawl in-game model with any of his recent renders.

The blue isn't rich or bold so to say, and his body color is too dark.

But his shoes are too ruby-ish, while they're supposed to be more like a crimson color.

The Brawl art is a tad more color accurate, but the model is more off.

Back to Racing, am I the only who thinks that the Wii version could be baseline/ the lead version?

Because the screens, while obviously are of the HD versions, just don't seem like ground-up material for those platforms.

This shot is the most evident:

zjattv.jpg

Why on Earth would Sumo use 2D trees in a ground-up HD game? You'd make that kind of compromise on the Wii. The HD platforms are VERY capable of rendering 3D tress in real-time, etc, that kind of thing would be inexcusable if it was built for the console.

So the HD versions are very likely to be based on the Wii version with HD-quality shading, lighting, up-res textures, rounding the polygons, etc.

From what can see, I also don't notice any 3D nobs or small tubes, that kind of fine detailing, on the cars, they all seem to be textured in.

It probably is based around the Wii, they are developing on FIVE platforms and the game comes out in Early 2010, they don't have time to make amazing graphics, but it will be running at 60 FPS on 360/PS3/PC at least, so I'm happy.

It probably is based around the Wii, they are developing on FIVE platforms and the game comes out in Early 2010, they don't have time to make amazing graphics, but it will be running at 60 FPS on 360/PS3/PC at least, so I'm happy.

Didn't Superstar Tennis run in 60 on the Wii? I'm sure Sumo said so in an interview.

If so, they should be able to do the same on the Wii with this game, hope so anyway!

I remember the Superstars tennis screens looking better then this.. so it's kinda odd lol, Maybe its a case of in game will look much better then the screens.

They still have the better part of a year to polish up the graphics more. I wouldn't expect a complete difference from these screens to the final, but there have been times where there were slight graphical differences in the final game compared to early screens. Prime example, the boost aura in Unleashed.

The base console definitely looks like it'll be the Wii. Looking closely at the screens, the graphics seem to lack the kind of detail that the PS360 consoles could process. And I'd be very happy if it's true, cause they look pretty damn good.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

Huh, I think the screen shots look great. I guess I'm just easy to please, at least when it comes to graphics.

Edited by speedfreak

They still have the better part of a year to polish up the graphics more. I wouldn't expect a complete difference from these screens to the final, but there have been times where there were slight graphical differences in the final game compared to early screens. Prime example, the boost aura in Unleashed.

The base console definitely looks like it'll be the Wii. Looking closely at the screens, the graphics seem to lack the kind of detail that the PS360 consoles could process. And I'd be very happy if it's true, cause they look pretty damn good.

They won't look that good on the Wii still, there is obviously next gen effects added on.