Awoo.

Sonic-related pet peeves?

Aero

When the term "Mary Sue" is used in a derogatory way to insult a character you happen to not like. This is in particular for Blaze, who apparently is a Mary sue for being a girl who happens to kick just as much ass as the protagonist, yeah let those unfortunate implications set it.

• Thumbs Up 5

Another thing is when people think that their favorite Sonic game is automatically the best Sonic game ever.

THIS.

I mean, my favourite Sonic game is Generations. That doesn't mean I think it's the best, it means a like it in particular more than others because it has great personal appeal to me. Speaking completely truthfully, for all the things that it got so very right, I consider Sonic CD to be the best Sonic game ever made.

I'm known in particular around here to be a Storybook series fangirl. Does this mean I think they're the best Sonic games? Hell no. It means that they have great appeal to me in a variety of areas, story and characterization in particular. The latter trumps everything that's come before or since which is the biggest reason why I like them so much. But they certain as hell ain't the best Sonic games ever made.

• Thumbs Up 3

When the term "Mary Sue" is used in a derogatory way to insult a character you happen to not like. This is in particular for Blaze, who apparently is a Mary sue for being a girl who happens to kick just as much ass as the protagonist, yeah let those unfortunate implications set it.

It's just people not understanding the character roles and traits, they tend to automatically label any protagonist they don't like as a Mary Sue, despite of the role of the character, of course, characters that are protagonists will carry the traits and the roles of such... so Blaze's character traits are totally justifiable for her role.

It also remembers me of a rather funny user on DA that calls Blaze an "overrated Mary Sue" in every single opportunity she has, rather amusing.

Never mind there's a double standard for power levels; it's okay for a villain to be OP. Not so for a hero. When people call villains like Dark Enerjak OP / Mary Sue, I facepalm inside. They're the VILLAIN. The idea is that a hero can still curbstomp them even when the cards are stacked against them. Kudos to Silver for smashing Dark Knuckles' face in and Sonic for smashing Fleetway Super's in, to name my major cases.

Never mind Eggman, at times, could be seen as a Mary Sue. Given that he often controls an entire planet, has unlimited resources with no clear record of how the heck he gets them all, and is smarter than anyone else. Just because his OP status is more grounded in reality doesn't change the fact he is. But as a villain, it's okay; Sonic only has his speed yet STILL manages to defeat someone who is arguably better than him in every way.

On that note, I'm going to go a little controversial here. StC Super rocks and all, but I hate how he's okay yet Shadow is considered overpowered. How does that work? Being able to turn yourself into a star = okay, being able to teleport and shoot energy blasts = not? I'm guessing the polarity for OP status reverses at the higher levels.

On that note, I'm going to go a little controversial here. StC Super rocks and all, but I hate how he's okay yet Shadow is considered overpowered. How does that work? Being able to turn yourself into a star = okay, being able to teleport and shoot energy blasts = not? I'm guessing the polarity for OP status reverses at the higher levels.

Well to be fair, Super Sonic, no matter which continuity, is powered by the Chaos Emeralds the most powerful objects in the series while Shadow has no clear power source considering just how much power he has; plus Super Sonic's only real(but by no means useless) ability is going really, really fast, while Shadow has a shitload of powers that aren't limited to the ones Sonic has.

Know what is even funnier?

Sonic as an overrated Gary Stu. seriously, the same person that calls Blaze a mary sue every-single-time.

like, it's not like he is the series protagonist or anything...

Edited by Anti Alias

Well to be fair, Super Sonic, no matter which continuity, is powered by the Chaos Emeralds the most powerful objects in the series while Shadow has no clear power source considering just how much power he has; plus Super Sonic's only real(but by no means useless) ability is going really, really fast, while Shadow has a shitload of powers that aren't limited to the ones Sonic has.

This would hold valid for the games, but the issue is StC. Super Sonic in that varies between being insane and malicious, and has the following powers off the top of my head:

-Insane speed, no pun intended

-Invincibility (except to Tails' punches apparently)

-Can fire laser beams from his eyes

-Can turn himself into a giant bomb to unleash a tidal wave of energy big enough to engulf a planet

-Super strength, strong enough to break the toughest metal on the planet

Now I'm going to go one step deeper. Super Sonic as a plot device in StC.

StC Sonic, whenever he's in mortal danger, ALWAYS turns into Super and proceeds to kick the bad guy's ass. This is cool at first glance, but then I realise the trend it's setting. It's saying Sonic's useless and can't get anywhere without relying on a dark side he hates oh so much. It makes him unbeatable, which is a nono for a hero. (At least, so explicitly)

Well, considering that Super Sonic himself in all continuities can outrun light-speed I would say he will always be very very very powerful...

I was clarifying that in StC, Super Sonic has the whole enchilada, not just speed. Melee attacks, ranged attacks, superweapons, the works. His only weakness is that his existence is always only for a few brief moments(barring the Silver timeline; poor Silver, always having to take on demigods).

As for the secondary comment, I was voicing my annoyance not that he's so powerful(indeed, Sonic having to beat him through something besides fist fights is always entertaining), but that whenever he's inside Sonic, he's a lazy means to have Sonic get out of tight squeezes. While I enjoy many of StC's stories, that was one plot device that would quickly get older than the cheese in my basement.

THIS.

I mean, my favourite Sonic game is Generations. That doesn't mean I think it's the best, it means a like it in particular more than others because it has great personal appeal to me. Speaking completely truthfully, for all the things that it got so very right, I consider Sonic CD to be the best Sonic game ever made.

I'm known in particular around here to be a Storybook series fangirl. Does this mean I think they're the best Sonic games? Hell no. It means that they have great appeal to me in a variety of areas, story and characterization in particular. The latter trumps everything that's come before or since which is the biggest reason why I like them so much. But they certain as hell ain't the best Sonic games ever made.

Yeah, i also always try to remember the distinction between "my favorite X" and "the best X". For instance, my favorite versions of various franchises tends to be one i grew up with (like the original Ninja Turtles show) with, but i will always admit if i feel that a newer incarnation is objectively better (like the 2003 Ninja Turtles show).

In the case of Sonic however im in luck, because Sonic 2, 3 and S&K are not only my nostalgic favorite games but also what i wholeheartedly believe to be the very best games in the series.

just thought of 2 more

1. The fact Sonic still slides on ice as the Werehog when he has metal spiked soles, it makes no sense!

2. The fact SEGA refuse to give NiGHTS a default gender, i know he/she is genderless so they can bond with male/female hosts but NiGHTS has a girlish look so i always took it as a She, but i still get called out by fans calling it a HE.

shouldn't neither party be right? since you can depict NiGHTS as which gender you see fit?

shouldn't neither party be right? since you can depict NiGHTS as which gender you see fit?

Well, whether you're male or female is defined by physical anatomy. If NiGHTS doesn't have either set, he's technically neither. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

yeah well i always took her as a SHE since the overly feminized face always throws me off xD

1. The fact Sonic still slides on ice as the Werehog when he has metal spiked soles, it makes no sense!

Hmm. I don't think even spiked cleats would completely counteract the decresed frictional properties of ice unless he was sinking his feet down into the ice to anchor himself.

• Thumbs Up 1

But Super Soniko! How would you get take advantage of all the innovative bottomless pits if you didn't slip on the ice?!

• Thumbs Up 4

of course Blue Blood! how could i forget!

SEGA you genius' you!

Hmm. I don't think even spiked cleats would completely counteract the decresed frictional properties of ice unless he was sinking his feet down into the ice to anchor himself.

you'd think that Sonic would of gained some heavy muscle mass which would aid him in lodging his soles into the ice!

Edited by Super Soniko

It also remembers me of a rather funny user on DA that calls Blaze an "overrated Mary Sue" in every single opportunity she has, rather amusing.

On dA one time, I drew a picture of a chibi version of Blaze holding a flower(in charcoal), and some guy named BlackCeiling said,

Nice job on the overrated Mary-Sue.

I think this might be the person you're referring to.

Edited by Aero the Lynx
  • Thumbs Up 1

you'd think that Sonic would of gained some heavy muscle mass which would aid him in lodging his soles into the ice!

I know right? Because this 110 pound hedgehog walking on pinpoints has some massive Chun-Li thighs under his belt. =P

• Thumbs Up 2

I know right? Because this 110 pound hedgehog walking on pinpoints has some massive Chun-Li thighs under his belt. =P

i was thinking more of his enormous Popeye arms xD, and perhaps how his torso also looks more fleshed out, idk i just thought he'd at least apply some form of grip on the ice, but nothing he's just as glidey as Sonic in the ice half pipe in Holoska's day stage.

Something that I find quite odd is that normal form Sonic weighs 35kg/77.2lbs. This is exceptionally heavy for a wiry and thin 3'03'' tall anthropomorphic Hedgehog. Werehog forms weight of 60kg/132.2lbs seems quite right for his frame and height of 125cm/4'01''. Werehog form is not far off a foot taller than normal form, is heavier-set and has much greater musculature and there's only a 25kg difference in weight.

Does normal Sonic have very dense bones or something to weigh that much for his height!? Maria is 4'07'' yet only weighs 32kg. That's less than Sonic, who is quite a bit shorter.

On dA one time, I drew a picture of a chibi version of Blaze holding a flower(in charcoal), and some guy named BlackCeiling said,

I think this might be the person you're referring to.

I've seen comments like that on dA before. I remember one person (I think it was someone else, that username doesn't sound familiar) calling Sonic an "overrated Gary Stu", as well as Knuckles I believe. At the time I was a little annoyed by these pointless comments, but looking back on it now it's oddly hilarious. I'm betting it's either one person or a group of like-minded people who really like to use that phrase, thinking it's ~sooo clever~ or something.

i was thinking more of his enormous Popeye arms xD, and perhaps how his torso also looks more fleshed out, idk i just thought he'd at least apply some form of grip on the ice, but nothing he's just as glidey as Sonic in the ice half pipe in Holoska's day stage.

=P Everything below the Werehog's ribcage is just hilariously wimpy. Even assuming he had superior leg strength than Sonic, he still appears to just be walking around which isn't going to do much to counteract the slipperiness of thick arctic ice, similar to Olympic ice skaters I would say.

Sonic is much more slippery to me though. Or rather, I think the ice in the game has the same physical properties regardless of time of day, but Sonic boosting around at 5000 mph means it's like trying to remote control a piece of soap on a freshly-waxed floor. :|

• Thumbs Up 2

yeah i tend to lay off the boost in the half pipe section and just glide through it xD, i guess you're right... he just feels a lot heavier to control, but not on ice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something that I find quite odd is that normal form Sonic weighs 35kg/77.2lbs. This is exceptionally heavy for a wiry and thin 3'03'' tall anthropomorphic Hedgehog. Werehog forms weight of 60kg/132.2lbs seems quite right for his frame and height of 125cm/4'01''. Werehog form is not far off a foot taller than normal form, is heavier-set and has much greater musculature and there's only a 25kg difference in weight.

Does normal Sonic have very dense bones or something to weigh that much for his height!? Maria is 4'07'' yet only weighs 32kg. That's less than Sonic, who is quite a bit shorter.

Maybe Sonic does have dense bones? He can slam into walls while boosting, and while he is stopped in his tracks, he doesn't seem all that hurt. He doesn't even lose rings. And then is the fact he can fall from high places and land pretty safely.