Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

Sorry to interrupt your genuine discussion, but i have a question and i don't know where to search if it has been already answered: what happened to the famous DLC wishlist made by fans after SoL took it? Did Sumo officialy said something about it (even deconfirming it)?

They pitched it to SEGA and they said they got approval on a character(they didn't mention which though)

They pitched it to SEGA and they said they got approval on a character(they didn't mention which though)

So... more DLC? Is it really happening? I would love to see some sort of confirmation about that.

This reminds me of Generations DLC discussions. Everyone was expecting something to get released long after the game had come out.

This looks like the same case. Not gonna happen.

Didn't Sumo confirm some sort of DLC though not too long ago? I think we still may get an additional character soon.

I'd like to know where you guys get all this hope after all these months of complete silence. At this point it's more likely that they are working on a new game rather than some DLC for Transformed imo.

Edited by ArtFenix

Yeah, the polls were never for confirmed DLC- they were for SUMO to ask SEGA for permission to make DLC. Most likely SEGA just said "look, it's a bit too late innit? Sure, go ahead with this character, but it'd be smarter to just take the poll results in consideration for the roster in the next game instead".

Edited by Captain Harlock

Yeah, any DLC this late probably wouldn't sale too well except to the people who have bought this game (which is still a pretty good amount) and are gonna keep it, sides it most likely would've just been Ryo anyway which is kind of a bummer cause I was really looking forward to Miku or Vectorman.

IF they did go the fighting game route, which would it be?

Compete with Smash Bros?

Or do a Virtua Fighter style?

I believe it would be similar to Smash bros, an example would be this Fan-made video:

SONIC & SEGA ALL STARS WARZONE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH1_oj6KMohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH1_oj6KMohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH1_oj6KMo

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe it would be similar to Smash bros, an example would be this Fan-made video:

video

Sorry, it should have Nac(aka Fang) not jet or the Werehog. Also, If they were to do a sega fighting game, it should be a 3-D 8 way fighter, not a side scroller fighter, as Sega has a much bigger history with those, and it would set it apart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH1_oj6KMohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH1_oj6KMohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHH1_oj6KMo

Wow, kudos for the creator of this, for a second there I though it was official(because of the thumbnail). Anyway, I liked his/her ideas and character selection(except for some choices like Cream and Jet, seriously?). Oh, and Segata Sanshiro should be the final boss :D

• Thumbs Up 1

S0L confirmed online on a forum (could be SEGA Forums or this very thread, don't recall) that they had approval for a DLC character, they didn't mention which one. They may be working on it and may finish it, but they may not and may be working it into the next game instead. Either way;

I'd like to know where you guys get all this hope after all these months of complete silence.

I don't think you have any idea how long it takes to build extra assets and such for dlc from scratch. For a game like this, it could take 5-6 months to make and could cost about $175,000 per character? (really rough estimate).

Months of complete silence is totally understandable if they're developing it but don't want to reveal anything too far in advance.

Sorry, it should have Nac(aka Fang) not jet or the Werehog. Also, If they were to do a sega fighting game, it should be a 3-D 8 way fighter, not a side scroller fighter, as Sega has a much bigger history with those, and it would set it apart

Jet's more popular than Fang, don't you think you're just biased here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I feel that the Sonic reps shouldn't exceed past Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman

but das just me

In terms of DLC didn't the Unleashed ones come out in 2009 when unleashed was released in 2008? I'd imagine it can take a lot of time, they have to design, create, animate, bug Ix and then make sure it works and interfgrates into the game properly, not to mention go back to SEGA and go " this is what we have, is this ok?" And then get it put on the servers. It's a lengthy process

I've gotten back into this game.

I wouldn't mind seeing some DLC in the future.

I don't think you have any idea how long it takes to build extra assets and such for dlc from scratch. For a game like this, it could take 5-6 months to make and could cost about $175,000 per character? (really rough estimate).

Months of complete silence is totally understandable if they're developing it but don't want to reveal anything too far in advance.

Oh come on!

It's just one character with his vehicle. Do you really think it takes 5-6 months to make it by hands of professional company? I don't buy it. Sounds like something Ken Balough would say.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh come on!

It's just one character with his vehicle. Do you really think it takes 5-6 months to make it by hands of professional company? I don't buy it. Sounds like something Ken Balough would say.

It does, that's a fact.

Ken Balough is a PR guy, he'd lie to make things seem more wishy-washy than they are (unfortunately; that's his job). This isn't wishy-washy, this is the cold hard truth of the games industry. Shit is expensive as hell to create; every animation needs to be properly rigged with each different kind of car transformation and its position in the race in relation to other drivers. It's far more complex than you think it is.

Your comment proves that you have no idea how difficult and expensive programming a playable character is. Which is fine cause most are blissfully unaware (as am I for the most part, I'm hardly an expert), but the real picture ain't all that pretty.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm a modder, and while I am not on a professional level of training, what Superlink says is true, it takes a TON of work to get a character done, from model to animating to rigging to coding, so the time period isnt over surprising

Are you all just messing with me? 5-6 friggin' MONTHS for ONE character?! Come on! I do realize it's hard and stuff, but in a year's time some whole games are made! Here wer're talking about just one character. That's half a year and there are a lot of people working on the game. I just don't buy it. No friggin' way it takes so long.

I'm a modder, and while I am not on a professional level of training

key words

You guys will just buy anything SEGA reps tell you won't you?

Edited by ArtFenix

5-6 friggin' MONTHS for ONE character?!

Yes.

No.

Sorry dude, I wish I was messing but I'm not! It really is that expensive and that time consuming. When an organised and busy developer is commissioned by their publisher to focus work on one thing, they can probably work on more than one character at a time sure, but Sumo is probably now supposed to focus on something else and any ASRT DLC will be sidelined and therefore probably have a small team at best working on it.

I wasn't told this by SEGA reps, no one at SEGA has said anything like this to me or the forum.

I'm just saying what is true of other developers who have been more transparent about how things actually work. Obviously a racing game is a little different to a fighting game or a shooting game, but they still require tons of animation work and more. The guy talking in that video now works in a small team on a 2D fighter (Skullgirls) and each of their characters takes 4-5 months to make.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

No.

Thank you for such wise reply. Unfortunately, the case seems to indicate at the opposite.

Sumo is probably now supposed to focus on something else and any ASRT DLC will be sidelined and therefore probably have a small team at best working on it.

At any rate they should be more vocal about whether they work on DLC or not.

I mean..Geerations was being developed for about two years right? Then does that mean they spent a whole year making Classic and Modern Sonic models and animations, rigs, etc. for them? This can't be real.

At any rate they should be more vocal about whether they work on DLC or not.

They can do what they like so long as they follow their publisher's NDAs or embargo. Sometimes a company isn't at liability to talk about what they like at all, which is obviously in effect on some level here as S0L previously mentioned they had a character approved but weren't able to tell us which character that was.

I mean..Geerations was being developed for about two years right? Then does that mean they spent a whole year making Classic and Modern Sonic models and animations, rigs, etc. for them? This can't be real.

Generations was probably in varying stages of development for 3-4 years, and yes character modelling and such will probably have taken up a significant amount of that time. There were only 2 playable characters and Modern Sonic already had a lot of reused resources from Unleashed, but the other characters and Classic Sonic would have taken a while too.

Edited by SuperLink