Awoo.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed...!

S0L

I think that is somewhat harsh, I personally relish the challenge...

I can beat it! =D

So, lets say we did another All-Stars game, what would you like to see?

Would it be a completely different kind of game? I.e. not racing?

Well... the obvious and popular choice is a brawler/fighter... the only problem is that you really need to know what you're doing and whilst I personally liked Playstation All-Stars, you really need 4 players for that game to be fun.

Also, character diversity and you'd need a lot of characters from a wide selection of franchises, and by wide selection we'd need to delve into the very old and very obscure franchises for this one and not 'the usual suspects.'

Though persona 4 arena on the otherhand, that game is great with just a single player. yet it's challenging and tells a great story, something a lot of fighter games just don't do.

In fact, one potential gap in the market, a fighter game that actually has a really good story to it. Quite a lot of the 'good' or best fighting games, tend to have really naff stories or just seem to add them in as a serious after thought, Playstation All Stars, Marvel Vs Capcom 3, just about all the street fighter games, usually the story is 'a single still image with text at the end.'

Though there is another gap that I've never seen, or at least seen done well... Sega All-Stars RPG? There was that Segagaga thing years ago, but why not an RPG type game where your summons or even 'monster's' are Sega characters?

How would you feel if it we brought in characters and track from other universes? I.e. non SEGA ones?

This would greatly depend on what universes they were? Videogame characters would be ok, movie is pushing it a little... but please no more Danicas... exceptions are the Top Gear team =p

I think that the Sega brand is more than strong enough to stand on it's own, but only if you were able to go beyond the safe zone and bring out the obscure or forgotten characters, not just bowing to pressure for Ristar or Shenmue, but actually going through the entire vaults and getting characters that look really interesting just on a design purpose, then looking into their world once you have the interest. Take the guy in my forum signature (the bloke with the glasses) I have no idea who that guy is, or why he has a tiger or a japanese girl on his boxart cover... but... his potential alone for a character is huge just from that image.

If you looked at the characters and just looked at potential purely from their designs, I think you could work wonders.

Or would you keep it mostly the same with changes?

Well, assuming we're talking about a racer. ASRT in my mind works so well because as good as it is, it's also challenging, not just the Ai but the track designs too. Whilst I would implore you to keep the same tallent who made those tracks, the annimations and... well... everything...

The main gripe with ASRT is that the character roster doesn't feel as strong as it could be. I own several books on Sega and they're full of different sega games spanning 20 years as well as their characters.

sega-consumer-history.jpg

This and the Sega Illustrations Book are both brilliant, as well as an excellent source for potential character additions, it tells you and gives you the name of almsot every game released on every Sega console and handheld ever. And it's amazing some of the potential for ASRT characters in here.

And not just characters either, track possabilities too. Another great thing about ASRT was the track environments, in some cases like Golden Axe and Afterburner, you could probably just take that stage and pitch a game based off it, they were that strong.

But again, with the exception of a few, they're very safe picks and choices, I don't just mean, go through only the Dreamcast and Saturn era and pick games that sold well or that people know, but ones which have potential based on their design alone, or that could bring interest into a long forgotten game.

Theres a topic on here about if ASRT provoked an interest in other games (),  for a lot of people it has done, and with the case of Burning Rangers, that one has never been re-released. A lot of people know nothing about it, but the world you created was strong enough to spark interest in seeing it again.

==================

In terms of modes in ASRT, I think you already know the complaints about world tour mode... but when it comes to multiplayer modes, they really need sorting out a little. The non racing modes like battle and capture the chao are just boring. The battle mode especially feels really tacked on and capture the chao just isn't fun.

I think probably because we're so used to stuff like this being in other games... so how about something like this...

Attack of the 50ft motobug: Theres a giant motobug or some other sega villain in the arena, all players have to take it down as quickly as possible. Heck you could even use the water or jets for this mode, in fact a lobby of 8 players attempting to take down the death egg would be awesome!

Just something which gives groups a goal to aim towards, the thing with the battle mode is that in the races, we effectively battle each other anyway which is possibly a reason why that mode is a bit empty.

Also one othe potential idea is to borrow from wipeout a little, Wipeout had mode called 'zones' in which you had to drive around a track and you gradually got faster and faster, the mode ended when you crashed, it was great fun and got really intense, especially with how the track changed colours and the music adapted to the speed.

But one thing I would say... when it comes to the 'challenge' issue. ASRT worked because it was challenging, yet it was doable, eventually you would learn and beat it, but if say you were to do a fighting game, 'challenging' doesn't always mean fun. 

... ...

... ...

Did I just give S0L feedback without mentioning 1970's trousers mode? Either I'm getting old or I really want to help make these games a success!

• Thumbs Up 4

Something I would like to point out that would be a solid base to a story, would be having it in fact take place in a massive stack of comics all based off the classic sega games, that Sketch turner is working on and reading, and then his odd powers result in them all getting mixed up, and him having to go in and recruit the heroes to set everything right in the comics before it leaks out into Turners world and causes total chaos.

Its both a way to have an actual reason for everything crossing over in the story, yet mix up the fighting setups, and some platforming, much like the original Comix zone, but including isometric beatem up streets, and 3D fighting arenas, along with several additional modes

Just a thought

I would love a 3D fighting game in the lines of Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter.

This would be perfect to introduce not so "kids friendly" characters that don't fit in a karting game.

Segata Sanshiro, Bayonetta, Akira, Ryu and all the non-cartoony Sega characters that also need some attention would finally fit with the likes of Sonic and NiGHTS.

Also, I would like a more variated roster next time, not just the same old hedgehogs, monkeys and skaters.

Yes, I think that something like that would work better than a Smash Bros clone. I would prefer a traditional 2D fighter, but with crazy combos, like Marvel Vs Capcom. I certainly wouldn't want something like Smash Bros, it's hard to beat Nintendo in that kind of game and Sega is already represented by Sonic in Brawl (and possibly the next one).

I would love to see another racer, they're rare nowadays (also, how about an OutRun 3, eh? Tell AM2 that). As for other genres... while I would love to see a platformer, I think RPGs or a sports based game would work better.

Edited by ViniciusLC
  • Thumbs Up 2

*looks around*

Actually... S0L... I think you should seriously consider pitching Sega to do a sequel to Segagaga.

but then it might only be released in Japan sad.png . Hey, whats wrong with my idea

Ok, so felt like expanding a bit, so my whole thought is that, all these worlds appear as games to us, what if in Sketch's World was closer to all these other worlds that he could create a link to, by making the comics, or even just having them in proximity, which is what happened in the other game, although in that case the villian noticed before he did and tried to escape, but this time, he falls in, and a giant bubble is created that causes all these encapsulated bits of those worlds to overlap, and cause chaos, and unless Sketch stops the source of the problems the bubble will expand until it leaks over into his world creating a massive paradox, and threating all of them. And of course there will be various villians trying to take over other worlds with various overlapping plans

You are wondering whos behind it? only the writers would know

Edited by Mandobardanjusik

Eh, Comix Zone seems like a weird franchise to center a Sega crossover game around. I'd much prefer the proposed Segagaga sequel, since having an originalish character take the starring role makes the representation seem a lot less skewed towards a specific franchise

Though I do have an idea for a Sega styled crossover game that I'll type up later

• Thumbs Up 1

So, lets say we did another All-Stars game, what would you like to see?

Would it be a completely different kind of game? I.e. not racing?

How would you feel if it we brought in characters and track from other universes? I.e. non SEGA ones?

Or would you keep it mostly the same with changes?

Curious smile.png

---

S0L

---

By the way, the PC version on Steam supports all this, you don't need a special version, you've likely already got it tongue.png

---

S0L

---

I'd like another racer though like others I'd also like to see a party fighting similar to the Smash games. Though in the back of my head I worry it'd end up being similar to Sony All-Stars or TMNT Smash Up :/

And I'd like to see Rock/Megaman show up as a guest character, I mean someone should do something with the character. Since Capcom clearly isn't, the bastards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh, Comix Zone seems like a weird franchise to center a Sega crossover game around. I'd much prefer the proposed Segagaga sequel, since having an originalish character take the starring role makes the representation seem a lot less skewed towards a specific franchise

Though I do have an idea for a Sega styled crossover game that I'll type up later

Why not AGES? It's basically an amalgamation of SEGA so you could just use whatever stuff from SEGA games needed for the role.

Panda, I would argue that somewhat, its a little odd yes, however the way I see it, the game is criminaly neglected, and it is a good way to bring them all together in a way that makes some sense, also though he may have been one of the original triggers, whos to say he is the only reason, and its something that can be easily developed

Like most of people here, I think the best choice would be a brawler/fighter, but a party game or a Action RPG would do great...

---

I really don't care what genre you choose for the next All-Star entry or what characters. But please, please don't lower the difficulty for the next game because that's what I enjoyed about this game.

Make it for others that didn't enjoy the difficulty to have other ways to unlock stuff in the game but please don't get rid of the hard difficulty.

Edited by Jaime Bond
  • Thumbs Up 3

Being criminaly neglected doesn't make theming a general Sega title mostly on said obscure game that no one really knows of, a good idea. I mean I'd understand giving the game a segment within a larger one (something incorporated into my idea), or say having the title be more centered around the Sonic franchise, or one of Sega's other mascots like Opa-Opa, Alex Kidd, or Segata Sanshiro, but Comix Zone just isn't a franchise relavent or iconic enough towards the general Sega lineage to give it the largest role within the plot

• Thumbs Up 1

More Transformed racing, with more stages and a better selection of characters spanning from SEGA of old to some of SEGA's new IP's like Bayonetta, Anarchy Reigns etc.

But honestly more focus on tracks this time around please, and stick to just racing GP's and a similar overworld to Crash Team Racing, none of that challenge shit being necessary to move forward in the game's main mode.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would love something in the lines of Super Smash Bros, Digimon Rumble Arena, PS All-Stars or even Power Stone. Somehow I think a regular 2D fighter(like Persona or Virtual Fighters) wouldn't work, since most SEGA characters are very cartoony, not to mention each one has their unique height and weight.

Bring more ips, like Streets of Rage and Comix Zone(would make an awesome stage) of course.

About non-SEGA ips? I dunno, I think SEGA has enough material, maybe some guests I'm not talking about Danica

Alright, I figured now and here would be a good time to tell:

My parents have started playing the game, despite not having touched a controller in 15 years.

Mind you, they can't play for hours, but they've gotten better from swerving everywhere to taking on B-Class and Drifting. They find the game really fun(especially the flying, which was the hardest to learn for them, and flight assist didn't help from the looks of it.) A few problems though:

* Their biggest problem; They often don't know where to go, especially in flight. They can read the boost pads well enough, but they're too far spread out, blue arrows are a poor indicator until I told them they are the wall, and they bump into invisible walls a lot. Dad mentions "everything just looks 2D, and has a big problem in Dream Valley because of it. The set pieces actually help them, believe it or not; they can just follow the Blue Dragon/helicopter/Wizeman/the Delphinus("It's a destroyer. It's too small to be a battleship") to where they need to go. Stuff like the bridge being destroyed disorients them, but doesn't affect them much. 

*They don't really care much about the roster, even Ralph(and they hate Danica Patrick), but dad seems to have mained Shadow(because of his tank at first, though he now likes him because "he's like me") and mum to Knuckles, to the point where they're fully leveled with console mods. I've convinced Dad to step out of his comfort zone and pick other guys; he's taking a liking to Joe Musashi...

*They often barely hit Transform Gates, and get stuck in a loop where they go though but don't change.

*The announcer was useful in telling them what weapon they got, but he's too quiet to really be heard(how about making item names straightforward with what they do? They don't know how to use some of em.). They don't find him annoying.

But all in all, they find it really fun. For my own suggestions:

*You guys should try a minimalist approach to items; Mario Kart seems to have more item types than you can throw a stick at, and having an amount you can count on one hand would really help in separating the two(Boost, Homing Drone, Shield, Bolt, Shock just to have a suggestion). If you can't make them SEGA stuff, try Blur's approach and make them Geometry Wars esque glowing thingies. I liked that.

*Have the tracks be less narrow and tight; Handling Mods shouldn't be situational. =P The tracks that aren't tend to be really good, as Soniko said.

*And last, better roster variety(but you already knew that).

Edited by FourCartridge
  • Thumbs Up 3

well, actually there's something i'd like to see...

an hybrid RPG/Fighting game a la Guardian Heroes, with a good story telling, a 2D fighting mechanic that resemble Guardian Heroes with some improvements. You can select your team a la Marvel ultimate Alliance, and maybe you can do something like Skylanders, but instead of toys you could release something like cards and a little device that read these cards, so you can release tons of characters at a maybe lower prices than Skylander toys. I don't really know how these things work but the whole idea of collecting cards of characters would be nice.

Gameplay wise you should put focus on leveling up system, combo moves, and a great learning curve. Online modes, tournaments, survival mode, a classic arcade mode, branching paths...

You can start with a not so heavy character roster, something like 15-18 characters, and expand via cards

anyway I would also like to see an ultimate Racing game, maybe a sort of Transformed Plus, with enhancements and a lot more features

- 10 more characters:

Ryo, Bayonetta, Axel Stone, Ash, Billy Hatcher, Blaze the Cat, Silver the Hedgehog, Vectorman, Ristar, Hatsune Miku

- 7 more tracks (to form 2 new grand prix)

Crazy taxi themed

Daytona themed

Sega Rally themed 

^

those three to be put in the same grand prix as Outrun Bay

then

Sonic themed

Phantasy Star themed

Space Channel 5 themed

Bayonetta themed

4 new arenas

Shenmue themed

Chu Chu rocket themed

Puyo Puyo themed

SEGA themed

- A Story mode 

- Enhanced frame rate and graphics (for next gen consoles)

- massive bug fixes, as well as the online collisions

- Extras

- Option to customize Avatar's and Mii's cars

- some extra vehicles

- air and water in arenas

- 2 specific items for each character

Sonic & All-Stars Riders (OPTIONAL or WITHOUT Kinect functionality for the Xbox version)

I really liked the first Riders. Zero Gravity took everything which made Riders enjoyable for me and chucked it away, and Free Riders is just plain broken.

I would LOVE a Sonic Riders game akin to SSX (the 2012 reboot version). That would be pretty epic. You guys are amazing at making racing games, this would be a pretty different type of racing game for you guys at SUMO to tackle.

...A 2.5D fighting game would work too.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 3

I would love a 3D fighting game in the lines of Dead or Alive and Virtua Fighter.

This would be perfect to introduce not so "kids friendly" characters that don't fit in a karting game.

Segata Sanshiro, Bayonetta, Akira, Ryu and all the non-cartoony Sega characters that also need some attention would finally fit with the likes of Sonic and NiGHTS.

Also, I would like a more variated roster next time, not just the same old hedgehogs, monkeys and skaters.

This ^

Like, all of it: imagine Jack Cayman or Selvaria Bles beating the hell out of Sonic or Billy Hatcher.

Yeah.

Edited by Teoskaven

Sonic & All-Stars Riders (OPTIONAL or WITHOUT Kinect functionality for the Xbox version)

I really liked the first Riders. Zero Gravity took everything which made Riders enjoyable for me and chucked it away, and Free Riders is just plain broken.

I would LOVE a Sonic Riders game akin to SSX (the 2012 reboot version). That would be pretty epic. You guys are amazing at making racing games, this would be a pretty different type of racing game for you guys at SUMO to tackle.

...A 2.5D fighting game would work too.

Can I just quote this? Please this!

Riders 1 was the most fun I've ever had with a spin-off title and Bean is right, 2 & 3 are pretty shit in terms compared to the original.

I always joked on with friends if the Riders series took on a sandbox 3D Metal City that you could board around, grind rails and get to higher paths and stuff to find secret collectibles as a hub world to find challenges/missions/Story progression, but having the ability to free roam the grand scale of Metal City as Sonic, kinda like an air board version of Jet Set Radio. But yes the original riders definitely had the vibe of an Arcade racer, especially the air drift being similar to OutRun in terms of ridiculousness, but if you guys could pull that off I'd love that over another Transformed racing personally.

Probably not going to happen though since the Riders arc is one of SEGA spin-off babies.

Except ya'know, this'll be All Stars Riders not Sonic Riders, Sonic & All Stars Riders heh.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd really like a party fighter like Smash Bros/PS Battle Royale, etc. I dunno, I just think it's the kind of thing that would suit SEGA really well. I mean I'm just one person and there are other good ideas for other kinds of fighting games too, but imo there are too many arcade fighters atm whereas few have really given the party fighter a go. SEGA AllStars games are awesome fun in 4player afterall.

So yep that's my input, whatever you decide to make next I'm sure it'll be awesome! And I totally would not object to another racing game, ASRT was my favourite racing game in a very long time, and amazing in 5player local.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the airboards are SEGA's more iconic mark, and characters who do skate (Gum/Beat) can just replace their gear with hover versions, besides it'd be a pretty boring racer if there were no high speed air boards :P

I think the airboards are SEGA's more iconic mark, and characters who do skate (Gum/Beat) can just replace their gear with hover versions, besides it'd be a pretty boring racer if there were no high speed air boards tongue.png

There were Hover Boots in Sonic Riders as well, so Jet Set Radio characters could just use those instead of boards...since boots will resemble rollerblades more than skateboards.