Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

The kid who obviously is not the killer and was established to not possibly have been the killer even before his FUCKING INTRODUCTION

and the ENTIRE CASE IS SPENT TRYING TO PROVE HIS INNOCENCE USING ALL BUT THE MOST LOGICAL OF METHODS

• Thumbs Up 3

I forgot what 4-3 was

"The weak tiny 14 year old blind kid attacked the 7 foot tall body guard, stole his incredibly powerful revolver, and shot him with it without throwing out his arm".

Then you have to listen to the fucking serenade thing over and over again.

tumblr_inline_mnp762utgw1qz4rgp.gif

tbh as bad as 2-3 and I-4 were, 4-3 is the single worst thing to come out of the series and Quercus Alba and motherfucking Moe just can't (big)top the hellish loathing I possess for that case

Don't you mean I-5?

And yeah I also agree that Turnabout Academy wasn't very good either. AA5 just had too many lame cases.

They really shoulda just led with the killer whale thing from the get go.

Frail and blind? An arm in perfect working condition? Incompatible angle of trajectory?

No. None of this... disgusting logic holds up in court.

The only thing that does is FINDING A MISTAKE IN A LIVE PERFORMANCE OF A SONG

Don't you mean I-5?

Yeah I forgot that Investigations had five cases.

• Thumbs Up 2

Klavier Gavin is a pretty shit prosecutor at times too, despite being the only one who isn't a complete asshole to you from the get-go.

"Ja, Herr Forehead, let me explain to you the entire case Herr Forehead."

"Did I mention I studied in Germany, ja, because I totally did and I have the accent to prove it."

"Oh, I'm also a rockstar so shut up while I air guitar."

klavier-guitars.gif

He has a good theme though.

Klavier is a great character, but a garbage antagonist. Having a prosecutor who wasn't a piece of shit for a change was an interesting shake-up, but it came at the cost of any real sense of urgency or competition.

• Thumbs Up 4

Don't even get me started on AA5's bad voice acting. Edgeworth was the worst

Its anime cutscenes were trash too. I wish they weren't there

• Thumbs Up 1

I really only have an issue with Hugh and Klavier everyone else is okay, and I like the cutscenes enough.

Don't even get me started on AA5's bad voice acting. Edgeworth was the worst

Its anime cutscenes were trash too. I wish they weren't there

90% of the voice acting was assorted gasps.

I didn't mind any of the voices at all in gameplay, except Edgey who sounded like an old man. It was when the cutscenes happened that I started experiencing second-hand embarassment

Honestly I love Sam Riegal but if he had a better "Objection!" shout Phoenix's PLvsAA voice actor woulda been better in every way. Just a lot more human sounding. The VA in Dual Destinies was all really.. anime. Sure it matches the artstyle but it doesn't match the regularly pretty serious and personal content.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah the DS games benefited from using nobodies (or in the JP version's case, Capcom staff) as VAs. Phoenix and Edgeworth sounded like people I could take more seriously and who would operate in a real-life setting, if that makes any sense

It's not an entirely fair comparison since there was no fully voiced dialogue back then, but I'll still take my chances with those old voices regardless. In AA5, it was distracting because I recognized so many voices from anime dubs.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, actually the VA cast for the english-spoken DS games were also Capcom employees.

Yeah the DS games benefited from using nobodies (or in the JP version's case, Capcom staff) as VAs. Phoenix and Edgeworth sounded like people I could take more seriously and who would operate in a real-life setting, if that makes any sense

It's not an entirely fair comparison since there was no fully voiced dialogue back then, but I'll still take my chances with those old voices regardless. In AA5, it was distracting because I recognized so many voices from anime dubs.

The entire LP I imagined Jude Mathis as a lawyer

It was kinda odd, having Big the Cat's VA voice Edgeworth.

I like Sam Riegel as Phoenix. Yeah, he makes it obvious that it's him, but I feel like the voice fits the character. It would've been kinda neat if Ben Judd came back to do it, but the first games had only yells, and he isn't actually an actor. 

Edgeworth sounded really weird in AA5, though. Strange, unfitting, and nothing like his previous voice. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't mind any of the voices at all in gameplay, except Edgey who sounded like an old man. It was when the cutscenes happened that I started experiencing second-hand embarassment

I get second-hand embarrassment from any English voice-acting in Japan-developed games, so it's kind of all one to me.

Also, this just in, Turnabout Big Top totally not that bad.  Not just because I had the murderer spoiled, either.  It didn't take a million years to conclude, which is the most important thing, and the murder method I anticipated correctly right from the start, which is the second-most important thing.  Sure, it has flaws in construction; that business with the cape is quite contrived, there really is a disjunction in the characters suddenly deciding on the murderer's guilt right before the trial, despite this they pretty much admit that the murderer's motive is paper-thin, and the reveal as to the bust's hiding place really doesn't work when there's never been such a thing as a full-height sprite in an Ace Attorney game and so you couldn't know that the blanket existed... but I thought it all came together pretty well in the broader scheme of things.  Is this the game I heard that Shu Takumi had to rush the script for in like a month or something?  Because if so, I think they'd have ironed it out if there'd been time for a rewrite.

I'm still currently playing the third game, I finished the first case but I need to play the other cases. I heard from people that they consider the third game to be the best or the series.

My favourite game is probably the first one, I finally decided after all these years. It's just got the biggest variation in terms of tone and cases while still making every moment important for the main characters. T&T is a very close second.

JFA is third because the final case is so good. The original trilogy still has yet to be beaten in any way besides visuals imo.