Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

So apparently there's a theory that Regina

isn't ignorant at all and pretty much played everyone for kicks, making her a genre savvy villain  who  incited actions.

Hreh, interesting.

Isn't stupidity kind of a default whenever Turnabout Big Top is the discussed case though?

• Thumbs Up 2

That's exactly my point. There's no conspiracy going on here, it's just shitty characters in a shitty case in a 75% shitty game.

That theory is almost as far-fetched as all the Disney movie theories you always see on Tumblr.

75%?! I know you ain't dissing 2-1 and 2-2 now!

Though I am curious of how such a dark outlook from you on Justice For All came to be.

Now I must also ask, why is Big Top so reviled? The characters themselves were annoying to have to talk to, but the story wasn't totally devoid of redeeming qualities, unlike The Monstrous Turnabout. That's definitely the worst case in the series in my eyes. Big Top would probably come second.

2-2 was pretty good apart from the absurdities regarding plastic surgery, and 2-4 is easily a contender for series best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Make that an 82% shitty game. Been replaying most of the first three games on my tablet. 2-4 is baaaaad just like 2-3 up until about halfway through the first investigation phase. Completely illogical order of how you need to proceed, unclear investigation objectives and obscenely out of character moments like this:

tmp_Screenshot_2014-05-31-23-13-39-18007

• Thumbs Up 1

They're boring and ultimately irrelevant in every aspect until AA3 made 2-2 relevant by giving it a purpose.

It's why AA1,3,and 5 are so great, it's because they don't pull the horseshit "Filler: The Game" crap that 2 does. Sure there's filler present, but there's also a fucking plot present.

Fuck 2. Fuck it to the goddamn moon.

Now I must also ask, why is Big Top so reviled? The characters themselves were annoying to have to talk to, but the story wasn't totally devoid of redeeming qualities, unlike The Monstrous Turnabout. That's definitely the worst case in the series in my eyes. Big Top would probably come second.

Turnabout Big Top tends to be reviled because of how cockney insane and logic-defying the case is.

For starters, the accusation is based on the grounds of the defendant allegedly flying and without any base explanation reasoning given from the prosecution! And then there's the gameplay of the trials during that case. The infamous one that punishes you for pressing,and then the BS fake-outs to boot.

In short, the Ace Attorney series is one that you're often trained to use logic of the common sense and should be able to brew up the answers in your mind from the evidence and information given. Turnabout Big Top sort of breaks those rules.

unlike The Monstrous Turnabout. That's definitely the worst case in the series in my eyes.

Okay I'm curious to this one.

• Thumbs Up 2

ngl, I can't defend Monstrous Turnabout. The only thing that makes that case tolerable is Athena.

tumblr_n0qs93qcJ91qda6uso2_r1_500.gif

tumblr_n0qs93qcJ91qda6uso3_r1_500.gif

Would have been so much better if they left out that Tenma Taro possession crap.

• Thumbs Up 1

It also doesn't help that Franziska drops all pretensions of having the hidden depths/insecurities about the von Karma name and Phoenix's role in it and not the same as Edgeworth and blah blah blah that were alluded to in 2-2; and just starts being a petty, vindictive bitch for the sake of it (which sticks through most of 2-4 too); going hand in hand with how little sense the story makes but how the game forces you to follow it anyway ("Let's just make Phoenix not look at what is obviously evidence, because otherwise we'd have to write our way out of this corner. But let's only apply it to this one specific piece of evidence, to make it really clear what we're doing.").

I thought the "first case gimmick" in 2-1 was pretty clever, at least; though 3-1 of course kicks the shit out of it.

There's an Ace Attorney thread?

There is an Ace Attorney thread.

There is a freaking Ace Attorney thread and I wasn't aware of it until now.

Well, in all honestly, I only got into the series a few weeks ago, so I guess that's my lost. Ah well.

Anyway, Ace Attorney. This was a series I didn't initially give two shits about. Only thing I knew about it was the infamous 'Objection' meme it spawned, and the fact that you played as a lawyer trying to prove the innocence of his clients. And to be honest, I found the idea of that kind of dull.

However, a few weeks ago, I was at Gamestop, where they were doing a special sale - buy two pre-owned games, each under twenty bucks, and get a third one for free. I had kind of been wanting to try out Super Mario Galaxy so I decided to take advantage of this deal. It all game down to what other two games I should get.

That's when I noticed they were selling the first two Ace Attorney games. I don't know why I wanted to try out these games, other than simple curiosity. Besides, maybe they wouldn't be as bad as I thought. So, I get home, pop the first game into my 3DS, and after a while, I begin to think;

"What have I been missing out on?"

I come in somewhat expecting a game being kind of dull and good for no more than a simple time-waster and what I get instead is something that has now become one of my favorite video game series of all time.

And much of what makes the series so easy to love is the cast of varied and likeable characters. I even stated in the 30 Days of Video games topic that this series has my favorite overall cast in it, with Phoenix Wright and Miles Edgeworth my two absolute favorites. I especially love how well they work off each other and their history with one another. They're both freaking awesome.

And the humor, oh god do I find the humor in these games amazing. Whether it be strange character quirks, the way some of them react to certain testimony, and even jokes about how spiky Phoenix's hair is (he could probably impale someone with that hair), I always find something to laugh about in these games.

So yeah, what initially were games I didn't really care for turned into a series I have little objection to.

AAI_Miles_Edgeworth_Bowing.gif

• Thumbs Up 5

I'll admit, one thing I do miss is the "present profiles" mechanic. Got a lot of extra dialogue and method methodology out of those.

• Thumbs Up 1

I miss present profiles too, it's very weird that that and being able to examine every area were removed from AA5..

By the way, I think the thread title can be changed to reflect PLVSAA's new NA release date? It's in August iirc.

Indeed!

It appears that official word is that North America will FINALLY get this, come August 29th this year.

I miss present profiles too, it's very weird that that and being able to examine every area were removed from AA5.

AA5 held your hand constantly. Removing the ability to investigate any area at any time, presenting profiles and the regular decluttering of the court record all streamlined the game and made it much easier. None of that was necessary though. You miss out on much of the experience as a result.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wasn't bothered by the decluttering of the court record, but the other two did. Hopefully they return in AA6.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm, "Judge Juniper Justice". I like the alliterative sound of that.

I wasn't bothered by the decluttering of the court record, but the other two did. Hopefully they return in AA6.

It bothered me because it made it instantly obvious which pieces of evidence were and weren't going to be used again, and there's no way to that Phoenix or anyone else could know this.

• Thumbs Up 3

It bothered me because it made it instantly obvious which pieces of evidence were and weren't going to be used again, and there's no way to that Phoenix or anyone else could know this.

Oh, I know. It was dumb, but I wasn't strongly bothered by it like with the other two things.

AA5 held your hand constantly. Removing the ability to investigate any area at any time, presenting profiles and the regular decluttering of the court record all streamlined the game and made it much easier.

Okay, now to be honest and just, present profiles was removed way before Dual Destinies entered the picture.

Finally updated the thread title with release info for PLvsAA and Ace Attorney Trilogy C: It's looking a bit cluttered now, strange to have so much AA on the way!

MAy I suggest just changing it to "News in OP" and just adding the info to the OP like I did for the Tales thread?

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, now to be honest and just, present profiles was removed way before Dual Destinies entered the picture.

Apollo Justice to be precise. But, that doesn't exactly make it less of a problem.

Irrelevant and besides the point. It's a nice feature that never should have been removed.