Awoo.

The Ace Attorney Topic (DS, 3DS, iOS) - News in OP

Agent York

Irrelevant and besides the point. It's a nice feature that never should have been removed.

True, true indeed. It needs to come back for Ace Attorney 6 and onward.

Apollo Justice to be precise. But, that doesn't exactly make it less of a problem.

Erm, also Investigations, but that is besides the point.Trucy_Silly.gif

Erm, also Investigations, but that is besides the point.Trucy_Silly.gif

Apollo Justice was released first though. Moving onwards...

And colossal derp on my part. Sorry about that.

Tbh I thought profile presenting just made the games more cluttered than necessary. It didn't really add anything other than some conversations.

Tbh I thought profile presenting just made the games more cluttered than necessary. It didn't really add anything other than some conversations.

Yet, it's no reason for it to be axed.

• Thumbs Up 1

GK2 Full English Patch has been released

Keep in mind it's a beta. The game may fuck up a lot.

Full? Holy shit finally. Hopefully it'll be more solid by the end of the year which is when I plan on finishing my replay of the series. I think at that point, it'll finally be time for me to try out GK2.

Oh fuck. I'm almost done with the first one too.

Though my replay of the series currently in progress is a bit more of the "play the bits that don't suck" variety.

So, some initial thoughts:

The double tap on the touch screen to quickly go through dialogue no longer consistently works. Or maybe I just don't remember how AA games are when you play them for the first time.

Not doing everything through testimony is about 100000% better.

All of the character animations on the actual investigation screen? The walking cycles and idle animations and everything? Yeah. Capcom redrew all of them with more detail and a higher framerate. For a sequel to a game that sold like 6 copies. It's no wonder Capcom doesn't have any fucking money.

Also:

Screenshot_2014-06-20-16-48-00.png

After a few games with such plot contrivances as "The sissy blind kid overpowered the 6 foot tall Russian guy and shot him with his own .44 Magnum" and "This guy got shot in the face but we aren't sure which side", it's nice to see them double down on "Someone used Kurt Russell's gun from Tango and Cash to assassinate the president!;" which is no less silly but at least plausible.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's been a dream of mine for awhile now to actually play and understand Ace Attorney Investigations 2.  I've been extremely bitter about Capcom not localizing this game for the longest time now.  They may have had good reason not to, but as an Ace Attorney fan, being forced to miss out on any part of the overall story just pisses me off, especially when it greatly concerns my favorite video game character.

Thankfully a group of fans came around, and the translation patch was made.  And they translated everything and kept with the spirit of Capcom's hysterically amazing "actually takes place in America but not really" style of localization.  All the text and dialogue has been translated, character sprites with words on them have had the text redrawn, graphics have been redrawn/created from scratch, completely new voice clips have been recorded for new characters' shouts, new names for all the new characters... it's all really impressive, and I'm appreciative towards the team for going the extra mile with this.

So, what do I think of the game?

I love it, it's pretty much my favorite Ace Attorney game.  Now Edgeworth is my favorite video game character ever, so um... I'm biased as all hell when discussing this, but I really really like this game. 

Now there are a lot of things I like about this game, both big and small, so I'll start off by saying that this game is a notable improvement over the first Investigations game (which I also liked).  I think one of the biggest problems AAI had was that it didn't focus on Edgeworth enough; it was his spin-off but instead it focuses more on Kay and her story while Edgeworth happens to be there for the ride.  The only real significant thing we learn about Edgeworth is how he met Gumshoe... and their relationship is handled so much better in AAI2 anyways.

AAI2 is really all about Edgeworth and he goes through absolute hell in this game.  You know those moments in the main Ace Attorney series where Phoenix pretty much hangs his head in shame and despair because there's no fucking way shit can get any worse?  That feeling of absolute hopelessness that just hangs in the air until he pulls through last second?  

phoenix-emo.gif

This game is that moment for Edgeworth constantly and it gets worse and worse as it goes on... yet Edgeworth just keeps on going.  He's asked a lot of questions, many of which he doesn't have an answer to.  He knows why he became a prosecutor, but why is he still one when he could follow in his father's footsteps?  Should he save others as a defense attorney or fight crime as a prosecutor?  It's interesting watching events unfold as Edgeworth comes to find the answers to these questions and more.

The cases themselves are interesting too, and all of them connect to each other.  The new characters are great, the returning characters are fantastic too (they even got the Big Berry Circus to seem considerably less shit than usual), and the villains are all delightfully sickening.

I also really liked the Logic Chess game that you play with several characters.  You essentially have to rapid fire questions at your opponent while watching their personality quirks closely in an attempt to make them trip over their own words and reveal new information regarding the case.  It's really cool watching Edgeworth tear down opponents with nothing but quick thinking... it's much more satisfying to pull off than the Logic system from the first game (which does make a return in this one too).  It also adds more variety to the cases.  AAI felt a bit stale at times going back and forward between breaking testimonies and investigating.  Plus the music is really awesome.

And there's a bunch of other stuff.  It's almost like there's too much honestly, and I will say that some of the cases felt freakishly long, but it's jammed with all sorts of content that I enjoyed from beginning to end.  There's a lot of fanservice  (and disservice depending on how you look at it) spread about the game too with a few of the returning characters.  It should be a crime for letting this gem of a game not be appreciated by its fans.  I'm just really glad I finally got to play and finish it.

• Thumbs Up 1

And there's a bunch of other stuff.  It's almost like there's too much honestly, and I will say that some of the cases felt freakishly long, but it's jammed with all sorts of content that I enjoyed from beginning to end.

And before anyone asks, it's not because of anything like this:

At least not for the first two cases I've played.

Also:

Screenshot_2014-06-20-18-24-34.png

: D

• Thumbs Up 1

And before anyone asks, it's not because of anything like this:

EXTRATERRITORIAL RIGHTS

At least not for the first two cases I've played.

Honestly, the first case felt like a parody of the final one in AAI sometimes.

EXTRATERRITORIAL RIGHTS, GET THE FUCK OFF THE PLANE OWNED BY MY COUNTRY.

Luckily Edgeworth stops that bullshit posthaste.

And Kay is best assistant.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think locking up the deadly assassin with his trained murder dog in a prison that allows inmate animals to freely traverse is a bit like how bad guys always locked up the A-Team in warehouses full of functional automobiles, scrap metal and an arc welder.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, about Dual Destinies, for those perplexed by Turnabout Academy's solution,

in the English version, when you meet Means for the first time he carries his staff like always, but in the Japanese version, he doesn't. A bug in the English version, this case be. In the Japanese version, that was meant to be a hint that he was the killer - since his staff was stuck in Courte's body, he couldn't very well have it with him.

I'll admit, given said circumstances, I myself, was a bit stumped near the endgame of that car because of that reason.

Edited by Gilda
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why did you keep reading after the first sentence? It was obviously leading into a spoiler.

Why did you keep reading after the first sentence? It was obviously leading into a spoiler.

Because you see the entire post before you actually consciously read it. It only takes a second.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have the HD trilogy on iPad and It's great fun, I'm on the final case of Justice for All and I'm having fun although I'm going to have to be careful to make sure I get the good ending. 

My favourite case out of what I've played so far was probably either Turnabout Sisters, Reunion, and Turnabout, or Farewell my Turnabout (At least what I've played of it so far)

Because you see the entire post before you actually consciously read it. It only takes a second.

You see it, but don't take it in. I had to actively look for the name. Even if you see the name it doesn't say that person is the killer until later in the post.

Spoilers should be used, though, even if I wouldn't place the blame for spoiling on Jovahexen here.

So, about Dual Destinies, for those perplexed by Turnabout Academy's solution:

in the English version, when you meet Means for the first time he carries his staff like always, but in the Japanese version, he doesn't. A bug in the English version, this case be. In the Japanese version, that was meant to be a hint that he was the killer - since his staff was stuck in Courte's body, he couldn't very well have it with him.

I'll admit, given said circumstances, I myself, was a bit stumped near the endgame of that car because of that reason.

It's still a giant sloppy asspull even with this in mind

How did Means manage to kill the lady on top of a banner without any of the blood soaking through to the stage? Blood may be thick but it's also a liquid. With that amount of blood thatere would be some form of residue on the stage.

How did Means manage to stand a dead body upright while simultaneously unevenly distributing the weight with his staff?

And even if he did somehow find a way to tell physics to fuck off, how come there was no blood on the drape covering the "statue" even though there was a significant amount of blood on the stage when Phoenix and Athena found her? And if there was how did no one fucking notice?

The case is entirely sloppy and overall really shitty just like the Tenma Tero case. The saving graces of those cases is the same old witty Ace Attorney writing being present.

I suppose we'll just disable the spoiler tag from now on, then.

I suppose we'll just disable the spoiler tag from now on, then.

I suppose so.

I already said there should've been a spoiler tag. All I'm saying is, if the first sentence tells me exactly what's coming and I decide to continue reading despite not wanting to be spoiled about it, I'd blame myself.

Since the title is intriguing... does it have an Android port, or should I call the company who made it iOS exclusive a lazy developer who made the game for an abomination?

I know you weren't making a big deal out of it, I just couldn't help myself with the question.

Sorry if I came off as attacking you.