Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Watch TPCi make one of their usual slow, bland, "adventure, best friends, yay!" openings. :|

Seriously, it feels like there hasn't been a Pokémon opening since 4kids that's had actual energy to it. Their openings all were about being the best and equally cheesy, yes, but they were fun. TPCi openings seem to follow a pattern of slow duet about friendship and new adventures. Blegh.

That being said, that Japanese OP was cute. Now let's hope they let Froakie evolve.

Agreed, though I'll give TPCi the Battle Frontier opening, which is the one that I feel is the closest to the energy and fun of the 4kids openings.

I guess we'll find out if you're right when they air the sneak peak of the first two episodes next week in English.

I hope so, but when 4kids did their early preview of Advanced there really wasn't an opening at all, just a fancy title card.

Edited by Infernal Ferno

Also, Pikachu being all battered wasnt from a depowering or Ash losing to a new trainer, it was from a badass Team Rocket using their Wobufett correctly. I may have hope, yet.

When I saw the Ash VS Clemont battle at the beginning I thought "oh, so Pikachu was defeated by a gym leader's Pokemon, that's reasonable and makes a lot more sense than that Snivy BS". But WOBBUFFET--of all 'mons--being responsible is way cooler.

Also I'm pretty sure Ash and Pikachu fanboy over Mega Blaziken at around 9:45 or so??? That's ADORABLE.

I recently saw the 4 episode in Pokemon Origins. blink.png TBH, they were one of the best episodes I saw, maybe for the nostalgic feeling. 

After the Johto league the anime has been pretty weak in my opinion sad.png I stopped following after that, just watching random episodes after it and sure, there were some good episodes here and there (Sinnoh league battles come in mind) but I don't think it beats the first seasons, when Misty and Brock were around...

But after Pokemon Origins, hopefully this new season is better, I might give it a try and watch some of them. happy.png

Remember the whole "Ash is gonna get Riolu" thing that happened during Sinnoh thanks to the Pokemon Ranger arc and the Iron Island episodes but never came to be?

It would be delicious irony if that turns on its head and Ash gets a Lucario in Kalos to use as his team's Mega Pokemon, since receiving a Lucario to use for Mega Evolution is mandatory in the XY games.

So the first episode was shown in various malls across Japan. The webmaster of Sunyshore saw it, and provided a quick summary.

the episode started with serena's mom asking fletchling to go wake her. it pecks her (? its off screen, but she screams) and she yells at it not to wake her that way after chasing it around her room a bit. she says to herself she hopes something good will happen that day.

ash lands in kalos with alexa and wants to battle right away. alexa tells him her sister's gym is not in lumiose (where they landed) but she'll go call her to find out if she's in. as ash waits, mega blaziken jumps over his head. he rushes into the lobby of the airport to exclaim to alexa about this cool pokemon he saw outside. alexa just says he will see many new pokemon, and she's sorry, but her sister is not at the gym. ash is crushed and whines about wanting to get badges and how this time he's definitely going to win at league and be a pokemon master. alexa tells him there is a gym in lumiose city, and that it is the prism tower itself in the middle. they part ways and ash excitedly hurries to the tower.

when he arrives, clemont and bonnie are walking by it looking extremely despondent. they watch ash go in. inside, the monitor (speaking with clemont's voice) asks how many badges he has. when he says none, that this is his first gym in kalos, the monitor flips out and yells that this gym only accepts challengers with four badges! ash is electrocuted and then shot down a tube and out of the tower. as he falls, clemont and bonnie rush to catch him. clemont uses his backpack, which inflates into a cushion, to save ash, and bonnie catches pikachu.

bonnie is extremly excited about pikachu, showing it to clemont and then hugging it so tightly it shocks her. clemont worriedly asks if she is okay, and she jumps right up laughing. he tells her not to do things like that, and she argues that she wanted to be its friend, looking stubborn. when clemont says pikachu obviously hated it, she apologizes to ash and pikachu. then ash complains the gym evicted him, and tells clemont the gym leader must be a big jerk. bonnie jumps in front of her brother and warns ash the gym leader is very strong. both bonnie and clemont seem surprised that the gym electrocuted ash.

they introduce themselves to one another, and ash asks clemont if he is gathering badges also. clemont and bonnie act flustered, and bonnie jumps in to say they are going to start. ash says it must be nice to have a sibling. bonnie says he has pikachu, though, and clemont explains bonnie has no pokemon and is very excited about having them one day. ash asks clemont what sort of pokemon he has. clemont seems flustered again and says he has one he caught recently. they agree to battle, and begin to battle clemont's bunnelby versus ash's pikachu. froakie, who was also seen by the tower, is watching.

bunnelby surprises ash by being very good at avoiding electric attacks, and clemont is impressed at how ash battles. the two are pretty evenly matched until team rocket shows up and interrupts. clemont is impressed meowth can talk, but ash tells him no, these are bad guys after pikachu. TR rants about being not after only pikachu, but other strong pokemon, and taking over kalos. jessie sends wobbuffet out to try to catch pikachu, and it uses mirror shot to hurt pikachu pretty badly. clemont tries to help but wobbuffet avoids bunnelby's mud shot easily to mirror shot pikachu again, only froakie jumps in and takes the hit. it then uses the bubbles from around its neck to disable wobbuffet and TR is blasted off again by the three pokemon.

froakie is hurt and there is no trainer in sight. ash asks where the closest pokemon center is, and bonnie says sycamore's lab is closest. they all hurry towards the lab with froakie.

TO BE CONTINUED!

There was also another preview of the first episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zDfLwGtEag

The first scene of the XY games was animated. Serena's expressions are adorable.

Edited by Joshua

Im loving that it looks like Ash's Froakie will be a total badass, a farcry from that spaz Oshawott.

Also

tumblr_munttuCirh1r2iinvo1_500.jpg

Little Serena getting patched up by Ash...kinda sweet.

And yes Serena's expressions are pretty cute, I think im gonna like this character.

Edited by SoniManbeast

It looks like Clemont and Bonnie were actually kicked out of their own gym. The first few seconds of their debut in the background show them looking despondent.

Move over, Cilan, Tracey, and Brock, the big brother of the group's actually gonna get plot development.

Certainly didn't take long for a movie teaser to come out. With any luck, Xerneas and Yveltal will stick around for the next few movies like Dialga did.

Also, that group shot of Pokemon. Very likely they'll all be divided amongst the main cast members.

They had a teaser of the XY movie right after the this year's Mewtwo movie (I saw it on release day in Japan since I was on holiday there during that time). It was to be expected anyway.

Speaking of which, the dub of the movie and the first two episodes of the XY anime dub will premiere on Cartoon Network on October 19th. I'm actually surprised they're being shown this quickly. Normally we wouldn't get them until much later on. It's nice to know we're not lagging behind Japan so much anymore.

Wasn't there an interview awhile ago about how romance will never be a major thing in this series? I never seen such a hard push of romance since Misty was around.

Color me intrigued.

I actually want Ash and Serena to get together just so I can see the shitstorm that'll erupt among shippers.

• Thumbs Up 5

I think Ash remembers it when they meet again, Ash just didn't recognize her when he first sees Serena and she reminds him of it....or something.

I actually want Ash and Serena to get together just so I can see the shitstorm that'll erupt among shippers.

tumblr_makol45Wr01qk5kb7.gif

How deliciously evil.

• Thumbs Up 4

Haha, Ash displayed more competence in this first episode then the entire Best Wishes series.

It was pretty cool how he tricked Clemont into using his Bunnelby's ears to stop Pikachu's Iron Tail, leaving Bunnelby unable to do anything, and following up with Pikachu's Electro Ball.

Edited by canderson

Got to watch the first two episodes of the new X/Y series which you can see here.

Not off to bad start though it still has some of the cliches that come with every new series beginning (Pokemon goes crazy in lab, Pikachu has trouble beating some new Pokemon, etc). I have to say they really improved the animation quite a bit and I absolutely love that orchestrated soundtrack of the game music (seriously, why they no make OSTs?). Seeing how Ash and Serena were childhood friends, I'm interested to see how their interaction plays out throughout the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed-syrFqqRo

- Serena and Satoshi-tachi apparently pass right past each other without noticing, since Serena is getting her starter Pokemon on her own, and the other three are on their way to Viola.

- Clemont doing battle against Helioptile's evolution.

- Looks like Dedenne and Inkay are acquired in the same episode. Dedenne by Clemont, and Inkay by either Jessie or James.

- Speaking of the TRio, looks like they have a complementary focus on Mega Evolution, instead of being single-minded on Pikachu. And it looks like they try to take on Mega Blaziken and its trainer too.

Gonna be a well-animated next few episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what's funny? Even after watching the first two episodes yesterday, I only just made the connection that 'Shitoron' = 'Citron'. 

mellow.png

Suddenly the name change to 'Clemont' in English makes a lot more sense...

Also, it's been subbed already? I just watched it raw. As I said regarding Origins, if you have even a basic understanding of Japanese, subtitles are almost completely unnecessary in Pokemon. laugh.png

I saw it on the ITV Player a while ago.

My opinion on this hasn't budged much. Mewtwo sounding like Blaze is alright, but it's still a painful reminder that someone thought it was a good idea to replace an established character with a new guy who happens to have a similar backstory.

Red Genesect sounds OK (better than I thought it'd be), Fluttersect makes me want to kill something everytime she speaks I swear to god and the other three voices I didn't hear that much but they don't sound any better. The ending is as anticlimactic and nonsensical as I thought it'd be (seriously, sun rises, somehow Red and Mewtwo are enlightened and Red says everyone is his friend and he gets off scot free even when he endangered several lives?!), but I will give the dub credit for actually bothering to remember Ash had met a Mewtwo before.

Yeah I heard this was one of the worse movies so I won't care for it. Just your typical Pokemon movie.

I'm more interested in the English XY first two episodes.

Unfortunately I hve to go to work, so I'm gonna end up missing them, but surely someone will upload it online. 

Glad to hear the English dub of Mewtwo having a female voice like the original Japanese version.

Edited by canderson

So there's more than one Mewtwo in the Anime?

That shit's retarded.  Why would they make another one?!  AND WHEN?!

-shoots TV-

• Thumbs Up 6