Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

>Serena is childhood friends with Ash. I repeat, a girl from Pokemon's version of France is childhood friends with a boy who is from a region five Generations apart, who originally didn't have a clue that there were different Pokemon outside of Kanto.

OK, either she moved to Kalos at some point before the series, or this is further confirmation that the writers or whoever have completely lost all comprehension over what "continuity" is.

Or, I dunno, maybe they felt it would be better that way or something.

But yeah, the animation doesn't look all that special to me, and I'm still not interested. Call me when Team Rocket is confirmed to be something more than unfunny jokes and glorified filler in this series.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, either she moved to Kalos at some point before the series, or this is further confirmation that the writers or whoever have completely lost all comprehension over what "continuity" is.

Or, I dunno, maybe they felt it would be better that way or something.

How does Ash knowing someone from his childhood break continuity considering Ash's childhood has almost never been touched upon at all?

Speaking of continuity.

tumblr_mtdfssFMp01r1alb2o1_500.png

This reporter team??

tumblr_mtdfssFMp01r1alb2o2_400.jpg

tumblr_mtdfssFMp01r1alb2o3_400.jpg

Fromt he third move.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 6

I can't decide if that's a very clever way to establish continuity in connection with Ash's past - Of all the characters they could use for the news crew, they go for the crew from the movie that also had a childhood friend of Ash's in it? - or if the animation team just saw the models and said "Yeah. Those'll work."

Speaking of continuity.

tumblr_mtdfssFMp01r1alb2o1_500.png

This reporter team??

tumblr_mtdfssFMp01r1alb2o2_400.jpg

tumblr_mtdfssFMp01r1alb2o3_400.jpg

Fromt he third move.

Wow.

I love how they're willing to keep minor things most people won't notice the same, but defy things that even the most casual would call bullshit on if they did.

Or, what Josh said :U

Exploring something from Ash's childhood is interesting.

And also, no, it's not breaking continuity. How can something that hasn't been touched upon break continuity?

I can't decide if that's a very clever way to establish continuity in connection with Ash's past - Of all the characters they could use for the news crew, they go for the crew from the movie that also had a childhood friend of Ash's in it? - or if the animation team just saw the models and said "Yeah. Those'll work."

Most likely is that they are a generic design. Dogasu's website has some character comparisons where a specific character design is modified to fit the situation.

*prepares popcorn for the inevitable shipping war outbreak*

Agreed. And if they do end up together the shipping wars might shake the very foundation of the Internet.

You guys act like retcons aren't a common thing in fiction. Like how many Pokemon have been retconned to being new types since Johto?

Yeah, but I don't really like retcons. To me, they strike me as "Get out of Plothole Free" cards for writers who can't think of an appropriate way to reconcile continuity errors.

Yeah, but I don't really like retcons. To me, they strike me as "Get out of Plothole Free" cards for writers who can't think of an appropriate way to reconcile continuity errors.

Well considering there wasn't a Generation 6 back in 1998, I don't really think its too unreasonable to assume that they'd have to resort to retcons.

Keep in mind that the writing staff are intending for the anime's audience to replace itself. Retcons? Most kids watching won't care because they will have only seen the Kanto episodes... possibly in reruns. To them, the current gen is more relevant and familiar. For us older fans? Sure, it stands out, but it's not like the anime crew have proven to care as deeply about continuity as older fans do. Sure, they brought back Charizard, but they also keep Ash at age ten, made a new Mewtwo, and the list goes on...

How else were the supposed to actually explain Prof Oak stating that they're were only 151 discovered Pokemon despite 100 new Pokemon being readily available a little bit west in Johto? 

A retcon is the only way to solve stuff like that, you can't logically give it a story reason without it sounding forced and dumb.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well considering there wasn't a Generation 6 back in 1998, I don't really think its too unreasonable to assume that they'd have to resort to retcons.

Especially considering that the Fairy-type is practically MADE for Pokemon like Jigglypuff and Clefairy.

It seems more like they're filling holes more than retconning for the fun of it.

Wrooooong Pokemon thread.

Edited by NOPE

Ash's pre-series life as we know it is comprised of:

- Ash and Gary splitting a Pokeball in half to keep as mementos

- Ash and Gary watching a parody of Pokemon Magical Adventure at the movie theater.

- Ash playing games with Molly whenever Spencer Hale came to visit.

- Ash sending in a million postcards to win that official Pokemon League hat.

- Ash having an encounter with a Trainer owning a Rapidash, and becoming even more motivated to become a Pokemon Trainer himself.

There's a bit of history there, but not enough to the point that things would be deliberately retconned if XY does delve into Ash's past.

Of course, now the anime is required to have a Gary cameo, since Serena must have met him as well. :V

Of course, now the anime is required to have a Gary cameo, since Serena must have met him as well. :V

I smell a one-sided romantic love triangle, at least if Ash's obliviousness to love is anything to go by...

EDIT: CRAP I USED UP MY 2200th POST sad.png .

Edited by 743 ED Missile

There is only one woman for Ash.

gf4tBQO.png

Ah yes, the lass with the Cubone to which Ash out loud said that she was pretty and cute and had a small crush on. Oh yes I remember HER all to well.

I remember her as well that. Im hoping for 3 things 1)Ash being competent 2) His water starter finally evolves 3) This series to be entertaining 

I smell a one-sided romantic love triangle, at least if Ash's obliviousness to love is anything to go by...

Ash did mention during Dawn's cameo that Oshawott's and Piplup's attraction toward Meloetta were plain as day and that a rivalry was about to ensue because of it.

So, ironically, BW Ash grew out of that obliviousness phase.

Ash did mention during Dawn's cameo that Oshawott's and Piplup's attraction toward Meloetta were plain as day and that a rivalry was about to ensue because of it.

So, ironically, BW Ash grew out of that obliviousness phase.

I kinda meant that I think somehow Ash is going to end up being oblivious to love directed AT HIM, but somehow still be able to notice it for other people...or something.

- Ash and Gary watching a parody of Pokemon Magical Adventure at the movie theater.
You mean the Pokemon Pocket Monsters manga. And that wasn't so much as a parody but an outright cameo/guest-spot.
  • Thumbs Up 1