Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

i dont really care that there's another mewtwo since pokemon is ultimately a commercial for video games anyway and using the old one probably would have caused even more bitching

but the girl thing threw me off

• Thumbs Up 1

Now with a girl Mewtwo there's gonna be more R34 then ever!

Anyway it's kinda dumb that it's a new Mewtwo but I doubt kids will remember a Mewtwo from like 15 years go.

• Thumbs Up 1

So I saw how Ash actually let Bunnelpy catch Pikachu's Iorn Tail so he could he could have the chance to use Electro ball and I was shocked at how he was actually thinking ahead......like the good old days of AG/DP

ill give more thoughts on the episode later when the 2 EP special is done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cartoon Network seems to always cut to commercial breaks at such awkward times. xD

No kidding! To make it worse, they cut to the commercials right in the middle of a scene too. I really wish they would have just one commercial break during the "Who's that Pokemon" segment like the Japanese version does.

• Thumbs Up 1

These two episodes left me with more excitement and wonder than the first episodes of Best Wishes by a long shot.

The scenery and animation have hugely improved, lots of dynamic shots and awesome lighting, and the characters are also a ton more expressive, the first Pokemon battle is what I mean there's very little re-use of animation and you're usually always seeing something new.

And holy shit what happened to Wobuffet? He has become totally fucking badass, doing mid air dodges and shit. It's kinda a shame that serious Team Rocket is likely gone for good but at least they still not as nearly obnoxious as their DP selves...yet.

Another thing that set it apart was that things were actually happened, Ash's Pikachu didn't get obnoxiously depowered nor did he lose like a chump, in fact Ash seems a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than he was in BW, actually thinking ahead to get a leg up on his opponent. However his personality is still very BW-esque which is fine, gives the character more energy. And he was a total bro climbing up that tower just to save a raging Garchomp.

Clemont and Bonnie are fun characters, Clemont's geeky nature and sharp mind will be great to see expanded upon, and Bonnie is just so adorable that I can't bring myself to hate (unlike I similar aged twerp).

We didn't see much of Serena which is a shame, but what little I saw of her I liked, her sassy attitude is very charming and I hope to see more of that when she joins the group. No idea what her overall goal is (she doesn't seem to happy to be a Rhyhorn racer) but I guess we'll see.

Overall im pretty hyped to see more if the quality remains as consistent as we've seen here.

Oh and Froakie?

tumblr_mux8rxFwRx1r4xyrlo1_500.gif

Best starter, I love this guy.

Oh yeah and the Genesect movie was pretty nice, better than the last.....6 movies?

Edited by SoniManbeast

Just caught the Genesect movie. I rather enjoyed it, though the need to create a new Mewtwo bugs me because Mewtwo is meant to be a unique specimen, and pretty much everything tied to the creation of Mewtwo was destroyed when the first one rebelled. It would've made for an interesting comeback for the original to show up, since he'd learned to get along with humans and had a similar outlook to the one that appeared in the movie ("All Pokémon have a place in this world," and so on). I can live with it, even if I felt it was unnecessary. I did like the actress playing Mewtwo though. For those wondering, it's Miriam Pultro, not Erica Schroeder. I'm guessing Schroeder's post on her facebook relates to one of the new characters on the XY TV series (I'm guessing she'll be Serena?).

Also watched the XY preview--I generally enjoy the Pokémon TV series anyway because it's just mindless fun for me, but I think it's off to a strong start. I'm also glad Iris is gone.I hated that little... well, let's not go there. Bonnie, Clemont, and somewhere down the line, Serena look like they'll make interesting traveling companions for Ash this time around. Honestly, Iris and Cilan were the only ones I didn't like. Iris was obnoxious (she was basically if Misty was a constant nagging nuisance--and Misty was a nag, but nowhere near to the levels Iris was IMO) and Cilan was just kinda dull.

Best Wishes dragged in spots because there were just constant, pointless tournaments, and I don't even remember the Unova league being much of a big deal. But it did pick up when Boss Rocket Giovanni stepped in, and then the "Episode N" storyline to the end of that series. Not that I disliked Best Wishes, it had its fun moments, but it could drag on, and I don't think that scrapping the Team Plasma plot originally planned in the first season helped (but it's hard to blame the producers in this particular case because of the Tohoku earthquake).

I'm intrigued by the end of the second XY episode, I'm guessing Serena is going to have close ties to Ash's past? Should be interesting.

Edited by Zaysho

Nobody liked Iris because she wasn't fap material :V

Haha, if that's what you want to believe~

Real talk though, Iris is fine, but she's my least favorite female companion, for reasons that don't have anything to do with her looks

Edited by SoniManbeast

Haha, if that's what you want to believe~

Oh u~

Iris was just...there, she was like Misty without the short shorts any of her charming personality traits or chemistry with Ash.

Edited by Dark Yakuzu

I didn't really like how they handled Iris either, which is really a shame since I like her just fine in the games. I was pretty happy when she turned out to be the champion in BW2, seriously.

ANYWAY, I liked the X&Y premiere. Ash was pretty cool, the TRio are showing at least a bit of promise, Sycamore is hot no matter the continuity, and the animation was fantastic, particularly during battles. The story was decent enough, basically just the average "beginning of the region" sort of thing in some areas, but yeah.

Dumb little side note: I find it odd that Iron Tail's gone back to "just glow and that's it" rather than the whole Steel-y thing in B&W. Admittedly, it looks less strange at least, and I think the glow itself looks better than it did in the older days.

Edited by ElementofChaos

Oh u~

Iris was just...there, she was like Misty without the short shorts any of her charming personality traits or chemistry with Ash.

This was basically my problem with Iris. They wanted Best Wishes to be a semi-reboot so they gave Ash Suspiciously Similar Substitutes for Misty and Brock, but with one being incredibly obnoxious and the other have as inoffensive a personality as possible (though Cilan's "Evaluation Time" got real old real fast). From her premiere episode moving forward, I never cared about Iris because she was basically written to be "really obnoxious Misty." All she does is talk shit or act like she's better or more knowledgeable, when she's really not much better than Ash. Misty at least had more going for her character than Iris, same can be said about the development of May and Dawn. I do hope Serena is more in line with the latter two, but with some decent development so she's not an annoying expy like Iris was.

On another note, I don't care what anyone says, I'm glad Team Rocket has been going back to their goofier (though still competent) personalities. They were dull in Best Wishes (though Meowth had a few moments it seems).

Edited by Zaysho

Team Rocket's problem in BW was lack of screen time really. I don't mind them being quirky, I just want them to be competent.

Team Rocket's problem in BW was lack of screen time really. I don't mind them being quirky, I just want them to be competent.

Actually their lack of screen time was their main strength....

I don't know about you but for as much as I like the DP Series, I absolutely hated how they were in every single episode not adding anything of worth, always speaking annoying rhymes and alliterations, padding out the episode with their bullshit, ugh forget it, I guess I don't see the huge appeal in this kind of TR (well, at least in this case, they were fine in Kanto-Hoenn). One major strength of BW to me was that with Team Rocket not being in every single episodes they had to actually think of other ways to write the filler stuff, as a result a lot of the filler episodes for BW were way more memorable and stronger as a result (because MAN Sinnoh had some bad filler), I like how TR was getting shit done in the background and accomplishing their goals (even when they lose to Pikachu they still accomplished something) and the fruits of their labor would usually come to head in a decent climax (being the Meloetta and Landorous/Thundurous/Tornadus subplots) and this new direction was able to help Team Rocket as a Organization gain prominence as a whole, with Giovanni actually being a villain for once instead of some evil boss executive that sat on his ass and did nothing, was good stuff imo.

Guess the short version is that I can live without a quirky (and later on very annoying) Team Rocket if it means improving a dozen other things to a show's formula and keeps it fresh.

Edited by SoniManbeast

If the preview for the next few episodes are any indication, Team Rocket's gonna get into altercations with Mega Bursyamo and his trainer frequently, and are exploring the concept of Mega Evolution along the way.

That's a good way to keep them occupied. Have them focus on exploiting Mega Evolutions and their power for the benefit of Team Rocket, and getting into confrontations with the one trainer we know has some history with Mega Pokemon, while Satoshi-tachi grow stronger, get better acquainted with Kalos Pokemon, and perhaps Mega Evolutions as well, the history of Kalos as a whole, and get into scuffles with Team Flare in the meantime, and have TR and Satoshi-tachi get into conflicts here and there, with all of it culminating to taking down the Team Flare later on in the saga.

The first two XY episodes were headed by a new Director and staff. If THOSE episodes are an example of what they can bring to the table, I'm anxious for what else they've got.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nobody liked Iris because she wasn't fap material :V

Maybe if it was BW2 Champion Iris instead in that little princess dress that shows a lot of leg, than yes.

Anyone know who was voicing Serena, Clemont and Bonnie?

Man, if Ash gets a girlfirend in Serena, maybe he might actually win a fucking League?

Don't ask me how that makes sense. Just know that I've been waiting for so long for that rat bastard to win a League. Every time he has competed, he never acknowledged the ass around him. This may be a 1-1 correlation.

Ash getting no tail=Losing all experience

Ash somewhat noticing some tail, but never actually acting on it=Retains experience, but still loses league

Ash getting some tail=Pokemon Champion

Just crazy enough to fucking work, I tell you.

• Thumbs Up 6

Man, if Ash gets a girlfirend in Serena, maybe he might actually win a fucking League?

Don't ask me how that makes sense. Just know that I've been waiting for so long for that rat bastard to win a League. Every time he has competed, he never acknowledged the ass around him. This may be a 1-1 correlation.

Ash getting no tail=Losing all experience

Ash somewhat noticing some tail, but never actually acting on it=Retains experience, but still loses league

Ash getting some tail=Pokemon Champion

Just crazy enough to fucking work, I tell you.

So he won the Orange League because he became jealous of misty hitting on that one gym leader in the orange islands or he hit that the night before his match?

So he won the Orange League because he became jealous of misty hitting on that one gym leader in the orange islands or he hit that the night before his match?

It all makes sense now.

• Thumbs Up 2

Serena may be the next victim on Ash's never ending Friend Zone list.

Also I get the feeling that Bonnie will noticed Serena's feelings for Ash and try to stick them together on multiple occasions....only for Ash to say something stupid or being just errr.....Ash, and end up klobbered in the head.

Gonna be real interesting with TWO girls traveling together.

Bonnie cares way more than his brother getting laid than Ash, so if anything she might try to pair poor Serena with Clemont to no avail.