Awoo.

Pokemon Anime General Discussion

King Frosty

Capture_zps2c70bc4a.pngCapture_zpsdcb4c26a.png

This anime is a fucking nightmare.

- You have a bug type that is also a water type and Ash had a strategy to deal with the ice.  Therefore keeping Pikachu in wasn't an unwise choice.

- He withdrew his electric type to give his flying type (who is also super effective) another chance against the bug that beat it before (and it fared significantly better this time round as, again, it was better prepared).

Honestly if you're going to bust out the complaints at least make sensible ones.  These complaints, quite frankly, are stupid and Ash still won the battle in the grand scheme of things anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 4

You're telling me coming up with an arbitrary plan for staying grounded in ice is more sensible than than sending out a pokemon that can avoid the ice altogether and still be super effective?

Shallow honor be damned, Pikachu could have taken Vivillion easily.

Since this anime just likes to pull moves out of thin air, Pikachu could have just gone Flash -> Thunderbolt.

I get it, most of this shit is for spectacle, but watching this idiot showboating his pokemon with nonsensicle choices that look cool is getting old.

You're telling me coming up with an arbitrary plan for staying grounded in ice is more sensible than than sending out a pokemon that can avoid the ice altogether and still be super effective?

Since this anime just likes to pull moves out of thin air, Pikachu could have just gone Flash -> Thunderbolt.

I get it, most of this shit is for spectacle, but watching this idiot showboating his pokemon with nonsensicle choices that look cool is getting old.

1: Pikachu can't use Flash. Believe it or not they usually DO have an episode where the Pokemon is show learning a new move instead of pulling it out of their asses

2: I know people who play the games want an extremely smart/technical match to be put on display but I think people really get bent when the character doesn't do what "they" would do if they were in that particular battle, or some other super competitive type deal. The anime usually goes for more interesting match ups that don't always boil down to predictable "he used this type, better se that type" fights, gives a sense of unpredictability and the mindset that a battle could go either way instead of the outcome being super obvious . And how is it showboating anyway? He trained with his Pokemon after a previous loss in order to deal with the obstacles he ran into previously, and when said obstacles showed up in the rematch he dealt with them accordingly, which is why he won...

And as we seen Pikachu did still have trouble dealing with Vivillion because of the sole fact that Pikachu couldn't fly and it could (adding to the fact that the arena was still ice covered made it even more trouble for him), so switching a tired Pikachu out with a fresh flying type that had an advantage in flight and flying type moves in general made sense.

Like it just kinda baffles me that even when Ash trains and succeeds, he's still somehow a fucking idiot that can't do anything right :/

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 3

If it works it works arbitrary or not, which it quite clearly did.  The typing match-ups in every instance were still in Ash's favour anyway.  It's better than in previous series where he'd just decide to whip out a Pokemon that clearly had no advantage over the opponent he was facing yet still wins for some nonsensical reason.  Honestly the only real bullshit point in that battle was where Pikachu woke itself up with its Electro Ball.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Serena knowing Ash from a Pokemon Camp is the best way to set the relationship between them up. It completely avoids any needless retcons that could result if Ash had known Serena from childhood all this time.

Plus this still means Misty is Ash's first legitimate female friend which is how I want to keep it please k thanks.

Edited by Razor Wind

Loads of episode titles:

tumblr_mwhwewA2y71r1alb2o1_500.jpg

Episode 813: Chespin VS Mega Mega Meowth!

Episode 814: A Chase Through the Bamboo Grove! Pancham & Pangoro!!

Episode 815: Catch the Pokémon Buyer! Operation: Spewpa Disguise!!

Episode 816: Sylveon VS Froakie! Commotion in Kindergarten!!

Episode 817: Spooky Shelter! Espurr Watches You!!

The writers are having no issue introducing the Kalos Pokemon and letting that be it - with that Espurr episode, 28% of the Kalos Dex will have debuted, in only 14 episodes.

It's looking like the first year of the XY anime is focused on Kalos Pokemon, while after that, Mega Pokemon will get focus, with Mega Blaziken and Team Rocket's goals in Kalos as a steady reminder of the concept for now.

Tell you what, the battles in XY are so exhilarating to watch. The animation has been taken up a notch, alongside the brilliantly remixed music and dynamic camera angles make everything so much more exciting. 

On the Pikachu/Surskit thing, haven't we pretty much come to realise that levelling up and growing stronger is nothing like it is in the games? Surskit could probably beat Ash's Charizard if the opponent was good enough. Let it add to the unpredictability rather than be a flaw. If Pikachu won every battle it was sent out at it'd be a pretty dull thing to watch.

I liked this episode, really gives Serena some character beyond her connection with Ash.  And hey, looks like Ash ended up remembering her after all, just took awhile. Wonder if they'll be anymore memories sprinkled about the series.

Anyway it was nice to see Serena teaching Ash a skill not even she was fond of, might be for setting up the "gotta find a goal" subplot she seems to have.

Bonnie was cute, Clemont was…there…Hope he'll have a larger role in the future. Though I do like the scene where the all do a rollcall at the video chat with Serena's mom, really does a decent job at cementing the new group dynamic.

Animation is still good, music is still good nothing much else to say.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Serena has left a good first impression so far.  I like her at the moment more than the other female protagonists.  The little back story segment in episode 7 was really sweet.  I also just really like her design in general.  I'm curious to see what kind of dynamic there will be between the group as the series progresses.

1: Pikachu can't use Flash. Believe it or not they usually DO have an episode where the Pokemon is show learning a new move instead of pulling it out of their asses

2: I know people who play the games want an extremely smart/technical match to be put on display but I think people really get bent when the character doesn't do what "they" would do if they were in that particular battle, or some other super competitive type deal. The anime usually goes for more interesting match ups that don't always boil down to predictable "he used this type, better se that type" fights, gives a sense of unpredictability and the mindset that a battle could go either way instead of the outcome being super obvious . And how is it showboating anyway? He trained with his Pokemon after a previous loss in order to deal with the obstacles he ran into previously, and when said obstacles showed up in the rematch he dealt with them accordingly, which is why he won...

And as we seen Pikachu did still have trouble dealing with Vivillion because of the sole fact that Pikachu couldn't fly and it could (adding to the fact that the arena was still ice covered made it even more trouble for him), so switching a tired Pikachu out with a fresh flying type that had an advantage in flight and flying type moves in general made sense.

Like it just kinda baffles me that even when Ash trains and succeeds, he's still somehow a fucking idiot that can't do anything right :/

There have been extremely technical matches in the anime on the level that used to be not accounted for in the games. Not to mention the Sinnoh league where they got to a level that most casual players don't even bother with and highlight Ash's propensity of using Sweepers(Pokemon with high attack and high speed) so competitors fought him accordingly prepared for it. Ash used to be known for changing the environment multiple times. And anybody who keeps beating the dead horse of elemental advantages should have stopped watching a decade ago. Ash does not give a flying fuck about elemental advantages and it is not (usually) that he is unaware of it, he just relies on raw attack power which is a strategy in of itself. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So when is X and Y coming to the states

We have two more episodes left of BW, so….Early/Mid December?

So when is X and Y coming to the states

two more episodes to go till, next episode we'll finally be rid of Cilan and the evil Iris.

Assuming there's no break, we should be getting the episode on December 14th. 

Pretty interesting that the dub is this close. I don't think we've ever been only 2 months behind the original before.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, are we really getting it that soon (possibly)? Cool. I'm kind of curious about the opening, and as much fun as I've had watching the subs, I still prefer watching the dub. tongue.png

RE: episode 7. I really liked it, I'm interested in seeing where they go with Serena's character arc and her goals. I'm glad Ash is at least starting to remember, at least a little bit. 

two more episodes to go till, next episode we'll finally be rid of Cilan and the evil Iris.

*sobs* wait evil iris? Not fan of her huh?

• Thumbs Up 1

*sobs* wait evil iris? Not fan of her huh?

I DESPISE her with a great fiery passion.

Game Iris is okay, but anime Iris I just want to bitch-slap. i can handle Cilan to some degree.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually really like Cilan since he adds something fresh and interesting, not a huge fan of Iris but I don't hate her.

And fuck Axew, why all the hate boners for Piplup when you have that little shit running around?

• Thumbs Up 1

People get mad at Togepi for not doing a damn thing.

People get mad at Piplup and Axew for doing a lot of things.

Pikachu should just go inside its Pokeball. Apparently people don't like Pokemon doing things that aren't battling.

• Thumbs Up 1

I DESPISE her with a great fiery passion.

Game Iris is okay, but anime Iris I just want to bitch-slap. i can handle Cilan to some degree.

Is there a reason for that? I didn't like her at first because "your a kid,kid,kid,kid,kid" then I just found it hilarious how she is pretty much is more of a kid than Ash since she couldn't battle for her life and had pokemon that didn't listen to her or were incompetent