Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

There will be other play modes for people that dislike the standard system.

I like that every character gets a rival with specific interactions during story mode. Heihachi-Toro pairing is confirmed, and I'd say Drake-Sweet Tooth is guaranteed.

Toro is fucking awesome because he's fucking Toro and a stance change character. That is all.

Toro has the best animations.

And each of his stances parodies a fighting game franchise moveset (Default-> Tekken, Ninja -> MK, Oni -> Street Fighter).

Paul Gale has given us hints on what characters are going to be in the game

EDIT: I've been spending the past 20-30 minutes trying to put the images in the post, but the damn thing says the image extension isn't alllowed. Tried imgur and all that but I can't get the pics up, so here, look at them yourself.

http://paulgalenetwo...n-this-weekend/

1st pic I think is Crash Bandicoot

2nd pic is obviously Ratchet and Clank

3rd pic I don't know, but little gun, big gun, gonna go on a stretch and say Little Big Planet

4th pic, when you look at it upside down, the bullets spell La Li Lu Le Lo. Metal Gear? Metal Gear. But which Snake is going to be in? Solid Snake, Old Snake?

Edited by Nintendoga

4 is def. Metal Gear, but I have to wonder if 3 isn't from that too. It has guns (of the patriots) and one of them seems awfully similar to the classic Mosin Nagant. So, Naked Snake + Old Snake skin?

The first one is hopefully Crash Bandicoot, the second one is most likely Ratchet and Clank, and for some reason I'm thinking the third one is Chris Redfield, and the fourth one is Solid Snake I think.

Hmm...maybe the cars represent Gran Turismo or even GTA. Possibly a new stage? The colours suggest Crash and Jak and Daxter. I sure hope Crash is in!

Crash will not be in, sadly. That's because Sony no longer own this IP, unless they add him as a third-party, but since is "PlayStation All-Stars", is very unlikely.

Except that there are already two third party characters in, so I doubt it being called "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" would stop them.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Except that there are already two third party characters in, so I doubt it being called "Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale" would stop them.

Who are? I think I've lost something :S

Who are? I think I've lost something :S

Big Daddy from Bioshock and Heihachi Mishima from Tekken

While they don't own the IP's anymore, the fact that Crash and Spyro were exlcusive to the PS1 is probably the reason why people expect them to be in the game.

Eh. It looks good if it's 1v1 but that shit just isn't going to fly in a 4v4 free-for-all which is pretty much the appeal behind games like this. "Look, the game has combo setups". Gee, you think?

I'm not really impressed. The game looks fun but I still don't buy the incredible touting of it's competitive nature, although that might be because I never bought the idea that Smash was a really super competitive game either.

Also those sound effects are weak.

Eh. It looks good if it's 1v1 but that shit just isn't going to fly in a 4v4 free-for-all which is pretty much the appeal behind games like this. "Look, the game has combo setups". Gee, you think?

Yeah, I don't know either. Like are these really real combos or can you tech out of them ? some of these look long for a 4v4 game, and I'm wondering if the person who gets launched first is just going to become a pingpong ball for everyone else due to hitstun.

It's hard to take this game seriously as a 1v1 fighter when there are so many more, better, games vying for my time

Yeah, I don't know either. Like are these really real combos or can you tech out of them ? some of these look long for a 4v4 game, and I'm wondering if the person who gets launched first is just going to become a pingpong ball for everyone else due to hitstun.

After receiving X amounts of damage, the target gets invincibility frames to break out, preventing endless comboing.

The point of that combo video is to showcase to the competitive fighting game community that the game is "legit." Hence why it was at EVO.

The Smash Bros. series gets a lot of flak from the competitive fighting game community for being how it is, so the team at SuperBot have been trying their hardest to make the point that this game isn't Smash Bros. Hell, that's been their main goal even for the more casual fighting game player.

Everyone looks at the game and calls it "Sony Smash." Everyone looks at the game and says it'll be shit because "It's not Smash." No one has interest because they insist on saying that "Sony doesn't have good or interesting IPs." People just figure it's pointless when it completely fucking isn't.

Look at every interview you see from the developers. I guarantee in every single one there's a small segment where they say "PlayStation All-Stars is its own game."

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

After receiving X amounts of damage, the target gets invincibility frames to break out, preventing endless comboing.

If that was narrated in the video I'm going to feel hella stupid- I watched it without hand.

I can kind of see that working but it seems kinda of simple/not as good compared to something like the infinite detection in Skullgirls.

So essentially all combos have a damage cap? Doesn't that make figuring out high dmg/awesome combos pointless? It'll be like figure out how to get to the cap the easiest then that's it.

I'm not sure I like that mechanic

The point of that combo video is to showcase to the competitive fighting game community that the game is "legit." Hence why it was at EVO.

The Smash Bros. series gets a lot of flak from the competitive fighting game community for being how it is, so the team at SuperBot have been trying their hardest to make the point that this game isn't Smash Bros. Hell, that's been their main goal even for the more casual fighting game player.

That seems like a pointless quest, they're already fighting an uphill battle, release all these vidoes do make the game look a little better but it's not about to lose the Sony Smash Bros title anytime soon no matter how much they try and point out the little differences.

Fighters are already saturated, to the point that Street Fighter X Tekken has been pushed aside, despite being a crossover from two of the most popular series, because it was a trash game.

Unless they hit it totally and completely out of the park this game is going to suffer the same fate. Why would someone play this over Marvel 3 or SSF4:AE?

They'd be better off just going all out on the regular market.

Why would someone play this over Marvel 3 or SSF4:AE?

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I find a distinct lack of Parappa the Rapper in both of those games.

Also SFIV puts me to sleep.

Edited by Chooch

Maybe it's just a coincidence but I find a distinct lack of Parappa the Rapper in both of those games.

Also SFIV puts me to sleep.

Parappa the Rapper is rad but is hardly achieving frothing, rabid, game shifting demand these days :L

If that was narrated in the video I'm going to feel hella stupid- I watched it without hand.

I can kind of see that working but it seems kinda of simple/not as good compared to something like the infinite detection in Skullgirls.

So essentially all combos have a damage cap? Doesn't that make figuring out high dmg/awesome combos pointless? It'll be like figure out how to get to the cap the easiest then that's it.

I'm not sure I like that mechanic

It was on their EVO panel. Don't quote me completely on the deciding factor being damage, might be hits, might be number of combos or any combination of them - I'm going off memory here. But there is a built in safeguard for combo bullying, that I know for sure.

Excited about Jak and Daxter being in the game, don't care that much for Cole.

Now we just need some Ratchet & Clank.

Also Chun-Li is rumored to be in this too, Ono had one funny moment with somenone from SuperBot disputing Seth Killian and they said if Ono gave them Chun-Li, they would let Seth return, Ono thought for some seconds and said "Deal!".

I like Cole, actually. The inFAMOUS series is great and he has awesome powers. I think it's also interesting to note that they specifically chose Hero Cole for the game.

I just really want to see Ratchet and Clank tho'. I've never been a huge fan of Jak and Daxter.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 3

I just really want to see Ratchet and Clank tho'. I've never been a huge fan of Jak and Daxter.