Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

It isn't just a rip-off of part of the game or the basic concept Chaos, it seems like a rip off of the whole thing. So far it seems like they just took Super Smash bros. and copied and pasted their own characters into the game instead. I'll give it a try, but it doesn't seem fanboyish to point out the fact that it is a blatant clone.

Besides the comparisons of games like Halo to COD or Virtua Fighter to Soul Calibur aren't the same. They both may be FPS/fighting but everything is different about those games as a whole. They feel like they are their own game, not a copy.

@SuperJXJ Because he's enjoying it not because it is a game Sony came up with and looks unique to them, but because it looks exactly the same as a different game on a different platform, just with different characters. He isn't saying he won't like it, but it is fair to bring up that it is a clone.

Edited by The Kid

There's almost nothing that grinds my gears more than people being so quick to call something a blatant ripoff without giving it a chance, as long as it's FUN then what does it matter? And FYI, Smash Bros was NOT the first to start the whole "bring in multiple IP characters" thing.

Oh the irony....

Look at the New Super Mario Bros 2 thread where nearly everyone calls it lazy in the design department cuz it LOOKS exactly like New Super Mario Bros DS without giving it a chance either.

Either way, I have had a day to process this game and now I'm indifferent to it and the similarities to THAT other game. Let the people with Playstations have fun with different IPs battling it out, just like Nintendo fans do with the Smash Bros series.

Oh the irony....

Look at the New Super Mario Bros 2 thread where nearly everyone calls it lazy in the design department cuz it LOOKS exactly like New Super Mario Bros DS without giving it a chance either.

Either way, I have had a day to process this game and now I'm indifferent to it and the similarities to THAT other game. Let the people with Playstations have fun with different IPs battling it out, just like Nintendo fans do with the Smash Bros series.

In my opinion the New Super series just...isn't....that....FUN. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but I just find Super Mario World so much more fun. However I guess that's a different conversation for a different day.

In my opinion the New Super series just...isn't....that....FUN. Maybe it's nostalgia goggles, but I just find Super Mario World so much more fun. However I guess that's a different conversation for a different day.

I wasn't taking about it being fun, I was talking about people not given it a chance just like you said.

even though I compared this game to Smash Brothers as well, when people say "sony pretty much took Smash Brothers and copy>pasted their characters on it," I can't help but hope that is true, since the core formula for Smash Brothers is GREAT. The more it plays like smash, the better I say. Given, that's not the case, but I can dream

I might as well echo the complaints others have said about this game looking dull and the idea of how the KOs work is fucking retarded. It looks like a Brawl clone, and not a fun one, either.

Also, the whole thing where the stages seem to mix franchise themes seems incredibly off to me, as if they couldn't make certain level themes stand on their own two legs. The Pons appearing in the stage with Hades and the hydra in what appears to be a the Ratchet stage just seems incredibly jarring for some reason.

Oh, and amusingly enough, sometimes it seems like Kratos, the Twisted Metal guy and the Killzone guy seem to blend in together in one big grey mesh, especially in the hydra level where it's raining and makes everyone's colours look dull.

Edited by Masaru Daimon
  • Thumbs Up 2

I feel the need to mention that KO's in this game work very similarly to those in Thrillkill, and maybe "Wu-Tang Shalin Style" as well, though I'm not sure.

It isn't just a rip-off of part of the game or the basic concept Chaos, it seems like a rip off of the whole thing. So far it seems like they just took Super Smash bros. and copied and pasted their own characters into the game instead. I'll give it a try, but it doesn't seem fanboyish to point out the fact that it is a blatant clone.

Edited by Ming Ming Love
  • Thumbs Up 1

The game looks fun, not as fun as Smash Bros. but still: It'll probably be a game I will enjoy. I wish it would be more colorfull though.

Oh, forgot to mention: FUCKING PARAPPA. Love that little guy, so glad he made it in.

And the "OMFG ITS A CLONE" discussion is really amusing btw. :D

Do you know what the most ironic part of all this "OMG Ripp-off game" is that once it's released there will be people who says "OMG it's not like smash".... You know it will happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Do you know what the most ironic part of all this "OMG Ripp-off game" is that once it's released there will be people who says "OMG it's not like smash".... You know it will happen.

Considering the people here who actually berated the game on account of "Sony are unoriginal fucks" dispersed after the second page, the scenario you're describing is vindicated when a good deal of people here clearly stated that "being a Smash Bros. ripoff is not a bad thing assuming the game is good".

Honestly let's not kid ourselves - claiming the game isn't a copy of Smash Bros. and capitalizing on it's premise and setup isn't only a lie, it's self delusion. Whether the game will ultimately play like it is left for player interpretation because all we have is word of certain previews, and we're only able to judge from what it is we're actually seeing. The only camps here so far have been that "it either looks like Smash Bros., which is a good thing cause it looks fun", "it looks like Smash Bros., but it looks pretty sub-par in comparison" and finally "it looks like Smash Bros., but I don't care about Sony characters". Trying to defend the game from the Smash Bros. comparisons seems pointless when people aren't doing that to sound like Nintendo fanboys more than they are comparing it to the standard which that game set - and let's face it, this game has a good deal of expectations to live up to if it wants to stand out when that series has been the unrivaled King of The Hill of crossovers ever since 1999.

• Thumbs Up 8

Looks more balanced than brawl.

I just hope there won't be another Meta Knight.

But please, PLEASE Jak & Daxter better be in this game.

But please, PLEASE Jak & Daxter better be in this game.

I'm pretty sure they are, they have a stage in the game after-all.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looks more balanced than brawl.

Want to explain how?

I'm not trying to be one sided to Brawl or critisize the game I just want to see your reasoning behind this statement.

Want to explain how?

I'm not trying to be one sided to Brawl or critisize the game I just want to see your reasoning behind this statement.

Because we haven't seen a meta knight yet. That's probably the only reason. I'm still salty at the fact that brawl got a character with good matchups for him everywhere and his worst matchup is himself.

Another way I truly think it seems more balanced than brawl is the fact that you can only kill using supers, but you don't get supers simply by hitting your opponent, you have to get those little orbs things meaning that zoning (keep away) kind of characters won't destroy any other kind of characters. Now I'm not saying brawl had zoning characters dominating the whole cast (heck Rob and Falco maybe even Pit are probably the only zoning chars that would have large adventages on the the rest of the cast.) Now there's also the possibility that rushdown characters might dominate, but it's only a possibility. Then I might not have correctly understood how the game worked, and in that case forget whatever I said. There's also the possibility that one super might be just overpowered as fuck.

I personally hope that the game will try to have the cast balanced, getting rid of bottom/low and top tiers, making the game fun for everybody. Or just be like Hokuto no Ken, where every single character is freaking broken.

That's why I said "it looks like" and "it seems" those are only theories/hypothesis/whatever you call them.

Edited by Boodendorf

Damn, it looks almost exactly like smash bros. Hope Crash and Spyro make the cut.

• Thumbs Up 2

Damn, it looks almost exactly like smash bros. Hope Crash and Spyro make the cut.

Especially (LARGE WORD INCOMING!) CRASH BANDICOOT!

Otherwise, crash in the mainstream world will go from irrelevant to non-existent.

Edited by Guest

"I don't like this game. It's exactly like Smash Bros."

*game releases*

"I don't like this game. Not enough like Smash Bros."

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 6

@Ming Ming

Exactly why I said I'd give it a try. I never said I refused to play it because it looked like a clone. You even say in your response that on paper it looks exactly the same. For all I know thr game will be great. But I didn't say it would be horrible because of its clone status

Anyway I hope it has Spyro. That would make it an instant buy, probably.

Edited by The Kid