Awoo.

This Week On PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: Free Avatars, Oh Kratos... you continue to goof.

Badnik Mechanic

Regarding the charm discussion:

Most of the 'charming' characters in the SSB series come from the same 2-3 popular franchises. How many guys from Mario, Zelda and Pokemon are there? People that own a Nintendo console have surely played those series (at times because there wasn't anything else to play on the system), and they've been running for decades now with countless iterations and spinoffs.

Awareness is off the charts (games, comics, TV series, movies), but they could also carry a high degree of saturation if your nostalgia goggles aren't thick enough. And yet, many of them don't even have a developed personality.

'Charming' doesn't necessarily equate to actual charisma here, just familiarity.

I will agree that SSBB looks more consistent in its direction. After all, it's the third game in a series that's proven to sell very good so the team has plenty of both experience and budget, no surprises there. IMO Battle Royale would probably have benefited immensely from a stylized visual approach like in SF4 or MvC3's cool cel shading, dunno why they didn't go for it.

Mario out of Nintendo? End of the world.

Hey I just thought something obvious. Crash belongs to Activision right? The PSASBR is no longer a game made of only Sony's IP so... I don't think it will be hard to Sony sign some papers with Activision to add the Bandicoot. Doesn't matter how he sucks today, he is stoned as a PS All-Star (at least on the PS1) and I don't think Sony will just "forget it", they've probably at least thought about adding him, and the chance to do it is right under their nose.

Edited by Jango

Well, it's not like they're doing anything with the Crash IP, he *shouldn't* be hard or costly to license in theory.

Speaking of which, now that Spyro's been repurposed into a toy selling device Activision could demand more money plus force them to use the Skylanders iteration which is pretty horrid.

That is also one of my fears if they wanted to include Dante. You guys just know Capcom would push hard for Donte instead.

That is also one of my fears if they wanted to include Dante. You guys just know Capcom would push hard for Donte instead.

Speaking of Capcom, I'm surprised they didn't try to get anyone from Street Fighter, as opposed to Tekken. Ryu or Ken or Chun-Li could've fit in as a third party character.

Double Post

New Combo video from EVO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Eg-olsGUc

Aw Yeah, this looks good.

Gonna have to be in the group that thinks those combos look a little long for a 4V4 type of game. I'd be open to a more competive, more 1v1 take on the Smash formula (as long as it did not require button combo memorization), but I'm not sure both can be compatible.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Activision did not even confirm whether Crash and Spyro would be in Sony's game or not..

Jeez, what is up with some people, I seen some petition claiming that Activision MUST put Crash in the game....

It's like saying Sega didn't confirm Sonic will be in Smash Bros. Brawl before the official Nintendo announcement...

Of course Activision wouldn't confirm Crash to be in the game before Sony's announcement. It's suppose to be a secret 'til then!

Speaking of Capcom, I'm surprised they didn't try to get anyone from Street Fighter, as opposed to Tekken. Ryu or Ken or Chun-Li could've fit in as a third party character.

I remember Ken being in the Long Live Play Trailer too. And wasn't there a joke that Chun Li was gonna be in the game?

Tekken is more connected to Playstation.

I remember Ken being in the Long Live Play Trailer too. And wasn't there a joke that Chun Li was gonna be in the game?

That wasn't Ken. That was Paul from Tekken.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the footage that was pitched to Sony for All Stars Battle Royal

That look really fun, actually a little more fun then the final build. This was meant ot give an idea about the game, but I hope those stages are in, like the train stage(es).

Oh and the game has the control option for arcade sticks (or fight sticks)

https://twitter.com/sethkillian

Ohoho Sony, trying to make this seem like a competitive fighter like Street Fighter eh?

that vid looks pretty good. I wish the current game had kept some of the features like health bars but the game in it's current state still looks quite enjoyable.

Ohoho Sony, trying to make this seem like a competitive fighter like Street Fighter eh?

This is one of the main points of the game since the begining.

Edited by Tmsp

Well, technically even Smash can be competitive if you try hard enough. It's not going to be any kind of Street Fighter or Tekken, though. Seriously, they should not try to make that connection.

Well, technically even Smash can be competitive if you try hard enough. It's not going to be any kind of Street Fighter or Tekken, though. Seriously, they should not try to make that connection.

Why? At least they are trying to reach another type of gamers.

Because they're not going to get that type of gamer no matter how they try. It's a waste of time, and is more likely to make the regular consumer assume the game isn't for them.

• Thumbs Up 1

How do you know? Of course not every tournament player will like this but I have seen lots of that kind of people getting interested in this thanks to the combos, Heiachi (sorry, can't really remember how to pronounce his name now :P) and how many competitive players are related to this.

Many people from fighting games related websites like Shoryuken are interest in this as well.

Not sure about casuals and I know that they are important for sales but I would like to have my game more known than a party fighter (not bad-mouthing ssb since I like that game as well).

You do realize Super Smash Brothers has sold better than any competitive fighter save for Street Fighter II (because it had like 8 different versions), right?

Sure, sales are the most important thing and all but from what they have said, they want to both apeal the casual and competitive community being a fun grab and play game but also have a deep combo system to be utilized by the latest unlike Brawl which was pretty much a mess in that department.

I don't think that being a bit more competitive will keep the casual audience away since SFIV, UMVC3 and Tekken 6 for example are full of that kind of players.

You do realize Super Smash Brothers has sold better than any competitive fighter save for Street Fighter II (because it had like 8 different versions), right?

It's a Nintendo cross over series with some of the most beloved and well known characters in video game history. And your point is?

It wouldn't even really have to be a "fighting" game to sell a metric fuckton of units. It would sell just on concept alone. Genre's irrelevant.

Smash Bros. isn't designed to appeal to both the casual and hardcore fighting game crowd. It doesn't need to. It never needed to and it never actually will.

Edited by Chooch

So why do the developers thing PSA needs to? It's an effort that I think is doomed to failure. It either won't be deep enough for the Street Fighter crowd, or it will be too complicated for the people who want to play it just because they get to have Nathan Drake and Sly Cooper beating the hell out of each other.

Why not?

If the game proves to be fun, it should not matter who it appeals to. You act like the game will have as much depth as Blazblue or anything that does not have it won't be accepted by the hardcore crowd. For fuck's sake, they had Tekken x Streetfighter at Evo this year and not Blazblue. You also assume that casual fans just won't pick up the game for the sake of picking up the game just because it is a little more complicated than SSB. I mean really, not everyone will want to play free for all mode and it is nice that you can have some competitiveness one on one.

And yet I find it hard to call the game competitive when there isn't even a damage meter, and a reliance on what amounts to Final Smashes. Even Smash had a damage meter. I'm sorry, I think they're being fucking stupid acting like it's some kind of competitive fighter. I shouldn't have said it's damning that they do because, it probably isn't but, it just comes off as a pathetic attempt to say "See? Our game ISN'T Smash Brothers because, you can use your Street Fighter Fight Stick! This game is serious business!".

Edited by Crow T. Robot