Awoo.

modern demo?

jords

Guys, guys, guys...about Tricking....there are TWO ways to perform Tricks, which are: The COMBO Grinding way and the Maximum Boost Recovery way.

COMBO Grinding

When you hold the Left Stick in one direction, you perform Tricks a LOT faster, this allows you to gain COMBOS a lot faster BUT, when you perform Tricks this way, you DO NOT gain a lot of Boost Energy (compared to the Maximum Boost recovery way) from each Trick you perform.

Maximum Boost Recovery

When you push the Left Stick in ALTERNATE DIRECTIONS (eg: up, left, right, down, right, left etc) you perform Tricks SLOWER than doing it the COMBO Grinding way, BUT, if you perform Tricks this way you gain A LOT MORE Boost Energy.

So, you see...there's more to Tricks than meets the eye smile.png

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 2

So who else loves running along the walls and ceiling in the cave behind the waterfall in modern GHZ? :'D

...IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.

Argh, best time so far is...1:53.18. How do you do it? >_>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kJM-Gtauo&feature=player_embedded#!]

Here is my video. Had to mute the TV. Have fun!

Edited by BlueBlurAustria
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not really in the mood to create a EU PSN account just to download a demo.

BTW, I remember back on the June 23rd demo there was a lot of scripting with certain platforms and other elements (this is from my first post here! ^_^):

- The tunnels are scripted. Regardless what speed Sonic's going, it'll suck him through and push him out at high speeds like the tubes from Chemical Plant Zone from Sonic 2.

- The springs are also automated-simply touch it, and you be launched in the air-even from below. And when you're launched from the spring, you can't move. Only on springs that launch you up you can move, but only after you've reached the designated height the spring has fixed for you.

- Upward ramps are also automated as well-just like the upward springs, you can't move until you've reached the designated height the ramp has fixed for you.

And guys, please remember that before you play the demo it says that the demo isn't the final build of the game (especially appiles to classic Sonic)'s gameplay .

This demo is amazing, i was kinda pissed that the demo was not on the psn store, had to unflash my 360, but it was worth it, though i have pre ordered the game on the PS3, this should keep me going till nov 4th

I have a question: in modern Sonic's gameplay why do you slide to attack the badniks when you can simply just boost through them?

Because it looks COOL and out of the ordinary! wink.png

Not really in the mood to create a EU PSN account just to download a demo.

And guys, please remember that before you play the demo it says that the demo isn't the final build of the game (especially appiles to classic Sonic)'s gameplay .

Well you'll still be waiting then, since it's still not up on EU PSN =P However, it should in theory be up sometime today

As for the build of Classic's gameplay, you are indeed right. Even comparing what we have in the demo to the footage of Classic Sky Sanctuary and Classic Seaside Hill by Aaron Webber, it looks different and more satisfying.

Well you'll still be waiting then, since it's still not up on EU PSN =P However, it should in theory be up sometime today

As for the build of Classic's gameplay, you are indeed right. Even comparing what we have in the demo to the footage of Classic Sky Sanctuary and Classic Seaside Hill by Aaron Webber, it looks different and more satisfying.

So, any changes to the scripting in the demo?

There are a lot of problems. Level design (for both Sonics), crappy rolling, spamdash, unnecessary automation, the almost complete inability to use slopes to pick up speed, the crappy trick system, the crappy rail switching system, the boost...

I know you don't like things like the weak rolling, spamdash, etc., but just to make sure, are you aware that Sega has said that not only is their window of correction of the physics limited to the already established level design (as in, if they correct them too much it would break the game and they would have to redesign the entire thing from scratch just to make it work), but they have also heard our complaints about the bad rolling physics and have passed the word along so that they can continue to fix them in the future (games)?

They've just come too far to fix the physics but so much and I for one am willing to accept them as is if it means not having to wait another year for them to redesign the levels just right in order to accomodate spot-on genesis era physics.

On a side note to everyone though, I have noticed two small differences in the Classic Sonic gameplay between the June demo and this one. First of all, I noticed that Sonic's jump isn't quite as heavy as it was in the first demo. It can clear more distance, which was the first thing I noticed and it felt more free than in the June demo. Secondly, rather than simply spamdashing with a quick tap of the hotkey, the game now requires you to hold it for a minimum of a half-second before releasing, otherwise you will spin out in an anti-climactic sluggish roll. Perhaps this was a measure taken to avoid fluidly spamdashing through an entire level?

As far as the Modern gameplay, I love it. It feels like a perfect 50/50 blend of the Unleashed and the Colors formula. The boosting segments allow for more control like in Colors, but maintained the speed from Unleashed. The trick system, while not that relevant, does give the player more to do than in the previous Unleashed formula, and given what that formula was (memorization of timed jumps and quick-steps), any addition of player input is welcome. I for one can't wait to get to those 3D sections in levels beyond Chemical Plant! I just don't understand why they didn't use open level layouts in the first two levels like they did with all the rest.

Anyway, that's my take on the latest demo. I'm getting off work here in a couple hours so I can go home and speed run Green Hill Modern some more. I plan on being able to breeze through it with the greatest of ease by the time the game comes out. biggrin.png

Edited by crush40rocks
  • Thumbs Up 1

I know you don't like things like the weak rolling, spamdash, etc., but just to make sure, are you aware that Sega has said that not only is their window of correction of the physics limited to the already established level design (as in, if they correct them too much it would break the game and they would have to redesign the entire thing from scratch just to make it work), but they have also heard our complaints about the bad rolling physics and have passed the word along so that they can continue to fix them in the future (games)?

I can't be the only one who thinks this was a load of crap?

Edited by MarcelloF

So, any changes to the scripting in the demo?

I wouldn't know, I'm on EU PSN. I'm merely judging by appearances.

Actually, this is very similar to what Sega's PR stated about the physics regarding the Sonic 4 physics. Apparently making major changes with the physics for that game would require extensive level redesign, which wasn't possible due to time constraints. <_<

Edited by Zinos

Idunno, it makes sense to me. I don't think Aaron Webber was just making it up at the time. They've crafted the levels to work with one thing rather than another. Changing the physics would mean they would have to go back and test them to makesure that they would work with all the terrain they already created, and if they don't then they would have to reconstruct parts of the levels. I wish I could explain it as well as Aaron did in the article I read a while back regarding this, but I seriously doubt he was full of it.

While they understand that physics is an issue, I don't think they yet grasp the concept that what we're looking for is that the physics and level design should compliment each other naturally. One should not dictate the other, which seems to be their biggest pitfall.

Edited by crush40rocks

It's not.

Polygon Jim who hacked the demo has already confirmed that due to specific triggers and functions of the build and the game's level design, trying to emulate the physics of S3&K would break a lot of the levels. If Green Hill Zone was enough to convince him of this, one can only imagine how the latter levels would be like.

So I played the demo... I preferred Modern over Classic gameplay XD

But the controls are annoying DX Having to press X to boost and spindash rather than B as I had originally thought... Anyone else find this annoying or just me?

Still, I'm going to try out the PS3 one when it's available and see which version I prefer, then preorder :D Anyone know if there are any noticable differences at the moment?

Played the demo several times now. Will play it more soon, no doubt.

The Modern stage feels very linear, despite the obvious choice in pathways. You're always pushed to go forward fast, there's no time to think and make a conscious decision on routes unless you know the level well or happen to have arrived at one of the couple of slower side-on sections, so it feels a lot more more linear than it should.

The Classic stage is better than it was, it feels far less linear, but it's too short; I remember some zones taking upwards of 6 minutes on the MegaDrive, whereas nowadays even breaking 3 minutes is an achievement for the developers. The Modern stage isn't too short though, so maybe the other zones will have a better balance of length.

Physics... The Modern stage's physics felt alright, I have no complaints so far. The Classic stage felt much better, but sometimes Sonic still felt a bit odd while jumping, and on one occasion flying in the air coming off a vertical jump I felt that I had no freedom of movement; there was a spring/platform within reach to my left but no matter how hard I moved the stick that way, Sonic wouldn't move that way.

Still, I have rather enjoyed the experience, and appreciate Sonic Team taking the effort to build us a second demo.

It's not.

Polygon Jim who hacked the demo has already confirmed that due to specific triggers and functions of the build and the game's level design, trying to emulate the physics of S3&K would break a lot of the levels. If Green Hill Zone was enough to convince him of this, one can only imagine how the latter levels would be like.

But as regards to the rolling, I'm not really sure how making it just that bit better and more satisfying to use would break the game. Don't you guys remember that vid by PeglegJimmy where he fixed the rolling? It looked as though the game just felt that little bit more satisfying to play, because it gave a greater sense of control. Here's the vid to refresh your memories:

I can understand now why nerfing the spindash would cause flaws. There are certain jumps and platforming aspects that just wouldn't work if the top speed achieved from a spindash was nerfed. Here for example:

However, some points of automation just seem unnecessary. The S curves for example really bother me and have done for a while. It bothers me that he doesn't accelerate through the curve and end up at top speed at the end. He starts at top speed in the curve from the beginning, no matter what speed he enters the curve at. Though really, that's kind of an aesthetic thing, but it just removes part of the satisfaction.

All of these taken into account, I still feel I would thoroughly enjoy the game. There is absolutely nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws of a game and still managing to enjoy it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Japanese demo will be up tomorrow

In June this year, "Green Hill" ACT1 stage (※ classic style) to deliver a limited time, enjoy this work submitted by many people. This is in response to requests from everyone, "Green Hill" in addition to the stage ACT1, ACT2 (※ modern) will also deliver a playable demo. Please come and experience the different actions of classical and modern style that is characteristic of this work.

Trial - Summary - PlayStation ® 3

Delivery time: October 20, 2011 (Thursday) started broadcasting from

Rate: Free

HDD capacity: 665MB

Content Stage "Green Hill" ACT1 (※ classic style), ACT2 (※ modern style)

[Xbox 360 ® - Trial Summary

Delivery time: October 20, 2011 (Thursday) started broadcasting from

Rate: Free

HDD capacity: 647MB

Content: Stage "Green Hill" ACT1 (※ classic style), ACT2 (※ modern style)

So wait we don't get the demo today in PS3? because Eu PSN update today. Also how come the PS3 file is bigger? lol

So wait we don't get the demo today in PS3? because Eu PSN update today. Also how come the PS3 file is bigger? lol

Just as at GAMEFest, I prefer the Modern stage over the Classic. I always enjoyed the day time Unleashed gameplay and it's a blast in Generations too.

The classic stage is good, but just as before, the jump physics and the rolling just ruin it for me. It may be minor things to complain about but I can't enjoy it as much when I'm constantly comparing the gameplay to the other 2D games I've played so many times before. The Modern stage was linear, but very detailed and I absolutely love the amount of little paths. The corkscrew at the end goes side by side with a rail; the corkscrew is the shorter path and the rail the longer one. What Aaron Webber was saying about the branching paths and the better the player is, the faster the path they'll take was absolutely spot on.

• Thumbs Up 1