Awoo.

First look at Sky Sanctuary

speedfreak

Sky Sanctuary's layout at the moment does look interesting, but that's all I can say right now. Graphically and visually it's brill though. I just wish it wasn't quite so pristine. Maybe the (pretty awesome) palm trees were step too far, and there's not enough of a ruined look.

EDIT: Wow guys, certainly dickin' it up.

THIS! Diogenes is allowed to express his negative opinions without people laughing at his posts or being made to feel like a buzz kill, and it doesn't matter if he posts a negative opinion with each piece of media we get.

I too don't see much appealing other than the awesome graphics and amazing music remixes now I've looked over the trailer thoroughly. I'll wait for more footage and screenshots before judging properly, but Modern Sonic's sections look pretty linear as usual so far, and even the clouds look like they're going to be another homing attack chain that won't take you off course much. I hope the stage does have some proper alternate paths, though. Can't wait to see more.

• Thumbs Up 2

^Moving on. (no offense)

So has all members chill out some after seeing SKY SANCTUARY? I know I have.

If you actually believe this lie then please delete your account.

Oh come on. Can we chill about spoilers? Not everyone wants to spoil the last few stages in the MAIN VERSION.

Oops, sorry. i dont know how to do the spoiler thing, ill avoid bringing up things that havent been revealed.

So, How about that Egg-Robo.

Yes. Nothing in that picture is the least bit impressive, aside from the graphics.

Ahh, still the Dio we all know and love.

Still haven't said what you would think is impressive, just that whatever Generations has shown, is unimpressive.

Nothing is the least bit impressive with reference to what? In comparison to what? We don't have a baseline, so we don't know what it is that makes it unimpressive, and don't know what is impressive by comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel that even though I'm amazed by how wonderful SSZ looks, I kind of wonder if bits and peices of Hidden Palace will be mixed in with this. I mean, it'd kinda be good for it to, since the correlation of the Master Emerald altar and all of this, you know. Then again that would mean classic Knuckles' appearance, but he isn't going to be in this game... or is he?

Who knows, but this is the adventures of Sonic and Tails adventure. What do you think? I think you'll have to wait 'til it comes out.

Edited by Azukara

Still haven't said what you would think is impressive, just that whatever Generations has shown, is unimpressive.

Nothing is the least bit impressive with reference to what? In comparison to what? We don't have a baseline, so we don't know what it is that makes it unimpressive, and don't know what is impressive by comparison.

what.gif

I got lost when you said unimpressive.

Edited by i don't like pie
  • Thumbs Up 4

I don't see what's so amazing about Sky Sanctuary, I really don't. I guess the music is nice, but that's really about it for me.

I'm sorry, should I just muzzle my complaints until the circlejerk is over?

Edited by Classic EXshad

I'm a tad unimpressed by Sky Sanctuary

well graphics and looks are fabulous and I'm loving the alternate routes, though I do have a few nitpicks

One problem is how vibrant the stage is, not saying that that is necessarily bad, but I was expecting more of the flying ruins in the sky thing. It's covered in greenery and you can even notice a bit of a technological pattern on it as well. Though it is supposed to represent Angel Island, so its not all that bad imo

Another thing is the Egg Robos all that really did is float there and look pretty and I hope they fix that by the final build

Also I'm not too fond of the remixes, personally I was expecting a bit more, but maybe it'll grow on me (Modern Chemical Plant still seems to be my favorite of the genesis remixes)

Edited by Cero

To get off this, Sonic fans vs Dio subject. Did anyone notice the lil countdown they did just before Modern's part of the trailer started.

I really thought that was probably what set everyone off.

Another thing is the Egg Robos all that really did is float there and look pretty and I hope they fix that by the final build

The game's done and rated. Maybe we'll see them fire some shots in future footage. I always found them to be a little slow with their guns in the classic original too, though.

Actually if you think about it, all robots (not counting 2006) in sonic games move very slow for some reason.

Shadz, did you say it's done....as in it should be going gold VERY soon? blink.pngblink.png

Edited by Eternal X

No offence, but you make it sound like Diogenes is on trial. Does he really need to explain himself in great detail?

EDIT:

Never mind, he's done it anyway laugh.png

I'm not putting him on trial lol.

I just want to understand his perspective, understand how he measures quality and how he comes to the conclusions that he does.

Imagine a fairly wide path (not open-world; the wider sections of Unleashed are about enough) of valid playable space (that is, no invisible walls or huge bottomless pits sectioning things off into narrow hallways) with a network of paths (that is, defined routes, but not solely sectioned-off catwalks; routes don't need to be so rigidly defined) winding, twisting, and curving (emphasis on curves, as this is Sonic we're talking about) around it and around each other.

Umm, this is Sky Sanctuary. Its a stage that's supposed to be miles in the sky. How exactly do you not have large bottomless pits. It would kind of ruin the angle of a sky-stage. Also SSZ is a little blocky anyway, and we haven't seen all of it yet. It sets up the theme of "ruins in the sky" pretty well as it is though, both in the way that it looks and the way that it is structured.

The Genesis games, and what I imagine a 3D game that actually followed from their design philosophies would be like.

Yeah, I don't know what that's supposed to look like...

Don't answer this by the way, I'm making a topic for this very purpose.

• Thumbs Up 3

The game's done and rated. Maybe we'll see them fire some shots in future footage. I always found them to be a little slow with their guns in the classic original too, though.

Yeah, the Egg Robos never really opposed a threat. They cool though. :P

To get off this, Sonic fans vs Dio subject. Did anyone notice the lil countdown they did just before Modern's part of the trailer started.

I really thought that was probably what set everyone off.

Nice touch, huh? Sega always has Godlike trailers that's for sure! Sometimes i wonder what they can do if they could make a CGI cartoon or something. xD

Okay. As soon as I watched the video, I can tell you guys one thing.

I never realized that TGS alone would surprise me, but at least I readied my body for it.

For this, however, my body was never ready and I regret EVERYTHING.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's fun how the one who's editing theese trailers thinks the game is about:

Modern: Homing Attack shit

Classic: Bounce on badnicks.

Sega, get someone new to edit the Sonic-trailers. The current staff is awfull.

What I'm curious to hear is what doesn't impress you, exactly.. like, what are your gripes? I mean, after my first watch, yes, I thought it was linear. Then, I watched it again and noticed 2 fleshed out paths that were RIGHT alongside the one Sonic took.
Sectioned off by either a pit or invisible walls. The levels aren't just one linear path, but they're mostly just linear paths branching off from linear paths. Aside from a few instances in City Escape, the paths don't live in the same space; the only choice you have is at a branching point, and then it's linear again until you reach another branching point. I want to smooth things out, fill the space between paths so the choices you have are more fluid.

But hey, there wasn't very much platforming.. but I looked again and hey, those bouncy-clouds are back, as shown in the pic, so we might get some of that too!
We don't know how those clouds will work, and considering how modern Sonic plays, I doubt it's straight platforming; I'm guessing they're homing attack targets. Even if it is basic platforming...well, it's basic platforming, just jumping from one flat platform to another, nothing to do with the unique physics that made the Genesis games unique.

And the whole level is visual eye-candy, probably being the most beautiful level ever rendered in the Hedgehog Engine. Like, it's almost so beautiful to the point where it hurts my retinas. Seriously.
I don't deny that the level's pretty, though I think you're exaggerating just a bit.

Plus, remember, we just saw small, disjointed clips of the level.
And if this level is anything like every other level we've seen, it's not going to be much better than what we see in those clips. Remember that I'm coming at this from the other direction; I'm watching these trailers waiting for something that isn't homing attacks, boost hallways, and babby's first platformer.

I don't want to try and put words in your mouth, but I think you said similar stuff about Modern City Escape when it was revealed, but you like it now, right?
I said it's a lot better than modern GHZ, and it is. But GHZ happens to be really shit; City Escape's mediocre at best.

One problem is how vibrant the stage is, not saying that that is necessarily bad, but I was expecting more of the flying ruins in the sky thing. It's covered in greenery and you can even notice a bit of a technological pattern on it as well. Though it is supposed to represent Angel Island, so its not all that bad imo
Personally I think it's not vibrant enough; they've...well, they've drained the color from it, compared to the original Genesis level.